Start by marking “Into the Water” as Want to Read:
Into the Water

Into the Water

To authorities she spilled the shocking details of a night of horror. It was the lead they'd been desperate for in a multi-state manhunt for an elusive serial killer. Where the witness took them was to the last man anyone would have suspected.

Richard Marc Evonitz was beloved by friends and family. He was handsome, intelligent, and compassionate. Serving a spotless eight ye
Published June 14th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Into the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Water

♥ Marlene♥
Aug 09, 2014 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it liked it
On Sunday, November 13, 2005 I wrote:

7 out of 10
Diane mailed this book to me and signed it.

From the Back Cover

She Was Young, Terrified, And Still Bound In Handcuffs When She Was Found On The Street Screaming For Help...

Richard Marc Evonitz was beloved by fr
Audra Spiven
Feb 13, 2015 Audra Spiven rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
I've gotten into a true crime phase recently, and I followed up The Monster of Florence with this one. When I picked these books up from the library, my fiancé thought they sounded interesting too, and, knowing I can't really read two books at once, he told me that he would read whichever one I wasn't reading, and then we'd switch. So I chose The Monster of Florence to start, having no idea what Into the Water contained.

As he began to get into it, he felt more and more creeped out because, as it
Eva Leger
Feb 14, 2010 Eva Leger rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fanning readers in particular but all true crime readers
Recommended to Eva by: myself
Shelves: b-true-crime
Any true crime reader knows Ann Rule. And any true crime reader knows that most t.c. readers love Ann Rule. Most say she's the best at the genre, love all her books, etc. I'm no exception. But Diane Fanning is coming in real close.
Into the Water is the second, at least the second, book of Fanning's that I've read and it went fast because I couldn't put it down. Fanning not only writes with passion, unlike the plain old just stating facts like some t.c. writers, but she incorporates other tidbit
Christy
Apr 05, 2011 Christy rated it liked it
I picked this book because I liked true crime. The crimes talked about in this pages are detailed and may bother some readers so use your own desecration. Author Diane Fanning, talks abt Richard Marc Evonitz, America's most wanted sex killer. Richard was handsome, intelligent and compassionate and was beloved by his friends and family. Richard had served 8 spotless years in the Navy and was known as a hero in his quiet exclusive South Carolina neighborhood. No one ever saw his dark, twisted side ...more
Shirley
Apr 13, 2010 Shirley rated it it was amazing
Evil is out there. Walking among us. Evil is our friend and neighbor. Evil is our co-worker. Evil eats at our table and we eat at his. How do we spot evil? How do we keep our families safe as well as ourselves? This book has taught me that we can't. We can not see evil if it has no face.

This book is well researched and well written. It covers the side of that evil yet covers the side of the victims, and their family's. A well rounded book. Fair and detailed. This is one of the few books that b
Liz
Sep 02, 2012 Liz rated it it was ok
I'm not putting a rating on this book simply because I had a very hard time reading it took me 2 months. There are several inconstancy's in the book, it is to be expected of some true crime novels. The reason it took me so long to read this book and know about the inconstancy's is because I am close friends with his sister the one who turned him in. She was completely devastated by this she had no clue that he was this monster until the night his surviving victim thankfully got away she knew the ...more
Edwina Hall Callan
Apr 11, 2016 Edwina Hall Callan rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2016
Richard Marc Evonitz was the sonar technician on the U.S.S. Koelsch searching for the wreckage of the Challenger space shuttle, he was also a kidnapper, rapist, serial killer ... and coward.
Another "nice guy next door" who was an expert at hiding the monster inside.

What really creeped me out was when the cops found the Even-flo breast pump when they were searching his house ... had he intended on making his neighbor with the new born baby his next victim? And are there more victims whose bodies
Kelly
Jun 16, 2012 Kelly marked it as didnt-finish
Setting this aside for some other time. For some reason I just can't concentrate. It seems a little all over the place in terms of various crimes that may or may not be related, various suspects, etc. Maybe it's just me, though.

**Ended up flipping through this at a later date. Read parts of it. Couldn't get interested.**
Fishface
Jan 23, 2016 Fishface rated it did not like it
Shelves: true-crime
Terrible book! The writing was so purple and incoherent I barely managed to finish it. The case was interesting but the writing killed the story for me.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 18, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it liked it
Shelves: murder, true-crime
I did not like the opening and set up of the book but overall a good book. This is about serial killer Richard Marc Evonitz and the horrific crimes he committed.
Scott
Good true crime read

A good read. True crime is very interesting. Serial killers have a very different mind. Would recommend to read this book.
Michele
Mar 30, 2015 Michele rated it really liked it
This case always bothered me because it happened near where I live. I can never understand why he had to kill them. He was a creep & a coward!
Barb Gant
Barb Gant rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2009
Patricia Douglass
Patricia Douglass rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Teresa Woodrum
Teresa Woodrum rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Julie Brown
Julie Brown rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Scott
Mar 04, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it
This was a good true crime book.
Alex
Alex rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2016
carolyn  newton
carolyn newton rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Tom Conklin
Tom Conklin rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2012
Teddie
Teddie rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Brenda Jurgens
Brenda Jurgens rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Dixie
Dixie rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Thelma Pottorff
Thelma Pottorff rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Kimberly Grafmeyer
Kimberly Grafmeyer rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
  • Little Lost Angel
  • One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley
  • Salt of the Earth
  • Pure Murder
  • No Mercy: The Host of America's Most Wanted Hunts the Worst Criminals of Our Time--In Shattering True Crime Cases
  • Driven To Kill