Start by marking “Trick or Treachery (Murder, She Wrote, #14)” as Want to Read:
Trick or Treachery (Murder, She Wrote, #14)

Trick or Treachery (Murder, She Wrote #14)

With the arrival of a spiritual medium in town, the annual Halloween party in Cabot Cave takes on a real scary tone. When a self-proclaimed witch ends up dead in the graveyard, Jessica stirs through a witches' brew of motives--and concocts a scary scheme of her own to make sure the guilty ghoul doesn't get away with murder.
Published October 1st 2000 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Trick or Treachery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trick or Treachery

Apr 25, 2008 Barbz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Decidedly not my favorite in this series. The ending felt like a total cope-out after the way the rest of the book was set up.
Aug 30, 2008 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this was a low three. light and somewhat entertaining, but definitely not a page turner. i did want to get to the end, but there was no urgency to do so.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
As always the Murder, She Wrote books are good. The book moves rather slowly until the murder takes place. It picks up and is more enjoyable to read once Jessica can start solving the crime.
Oct 12, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun installment in the Murder She Wrote series. This one involves a Halloween costume party, a potential witch, ghosts and speaking with the dead. Perfect for Halloween!
Oct 17, 2010 Berry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
[As always, this rating is relevant only to this corner of fiction: MSW "novels" and others based on TV shows. Obviously with these mass market, pop fic, "readables" I don't consider the quality of the prose or anything.]

This one was straight up horrid. It has potential, but suffers from insipid characters and a drawn-out, repetitive plot. Sorry, JB. PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!
Shannon Renee
These mac and cheese comfort reads are strangely quite enjoyable. I loved MSW as a kiddo, and the books take me back to that. This one had a terrbile beginning, but after the first 150 or so read hard and fast. Can't wait to check out the next adenture for Jess at the library (if I can remember how many I've read.)
Oct 22, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I always love Murder She Wrote books. Jessica and the whole Cabot Cove town is just a great setting.
Jan 25, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books of this series are always light, enjoyable reads with characters the reader has grown to know. I think "Trick or Treachery" is one of the best of the group...clever and intriguing plot with lots happening. Fans of "Murder She Wrote" won't be disappointed.
Paul Lunger
Halloween in Cabot Cove, Maine is full of tricks, treats & the murder of a mysterious outsider after a party in this 2000 novel. As one of the earlier novels, it's written in almost the first person with Jessica Fletcher doing most of the narrating. The problem is the majority of the characters in this story are uninteresting & rather boring. After the murder, we have our usual round of investigating & a rather psychopathic suspect who does nothing to advance this sub-par entry. It's ...more
Apr 21, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I have found a guilty pleasure in the Murder She Wrote book series. I love the characters in the stories and just a good mystery. Can't wait to dive into the next book.
Nov 04, 2012 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good one to read in small installments. Easy to pick back up after a few days and know what's going on.
My deep dark secret - I'm obsessed with watching Murder, She Wrote. In fact, I can't fall asleep without watching an episode on Netflix. You know those bracelets that say WWJD - I think they really stand for What Would Jessica Do. Thought I'd try one of the books just to see if it is as soothing....
Well, it's not horrible but does lose something in the translation from TV show to book.
Chadwick Saxelid
A review from my blog, written and published (appropriately enough) October 11, 2006.

The annual Halloween bash held by one of Cabot Cove's wealthiest citizens is ruined when an unpopular woman gets her head bashed in during the party.

While I don't watch all that much TV, I do read a lot of books that are based on TV series (not to mention movies and video games). But one of the shows I do like to watch, when able, is the old fashioned murder mystery series, Murder, She Wrote. The mysteries didn'

2-- stelle.

L’estate 2012 ho letto uno dei libri della saga della Signora in giallo; Murder, she wrote. Questa saga letteraria è stata tratta dal celebre telefilm che vede per protagonista Jessica Fletcher, interpretata da Angela Lansbury, scrittrice di romanzi gialli e perennemente intrusa in un omicidio reale. Grazie alla sua arguzia riesce sempre a riconoscere il colpevole.
Trovo che questa attrice reciti molto bene; anche se la preferisco nel più fantasioso "Pomi d’ottone e manici di scopa",
Joan Schrock
A simple little Halloween mystery by Jessica Fletcher, about Jessica Fletcher with the usual cast of characters: Doc, the sheriff, assorted citizens of her coastal, small town in Maine. Has all the Halloween ingredients, a ghost,a cemetary,a costume party,and of course a murder.
Oct 19, 2014 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second read in this series. An entertaining mystery. Always loved the TV show, and like the books so far. They are not great literature, but they are a relaxing, escape type of mystery. And a perfect read for Halloween!
Oct 28, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything I wanted and more in a "murder she wrote" novel. Super cheesy but I loved it!! Gotta love Cabot Cove in its inhabitants and of course Jessica Fletcher!! Such a fun read!!
I liked this book for the most part. The writer was pretty true to the tv show all thought there were a few differences. What I didn't like was that at the end of the story everything was not explained. I feel like it left me hanging.
A nice little mystery. It feels like you are watching an episode of "Murder, She Wrote." A nice break from the usually involved books I read.
Oct 13, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its Halloween in Cabot cove but sinister things are happening. There are some strangers in town, Lucas Tremaine, a supposed medium that is conning the locals into paying to talk with their dead loved ones, then there is Matilda Swift, a lady who seems to have quite a strange influence on the local folks.
But apart from these little ups and downs things are going well for Paul Marshall's Halloween party, a local businessman who puts on a Halloween spectacular for the town every year.
The night star
Nov 22, 2015 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-she-wrote
I love books that incorporate holiday fun! Cabot Cove seems to be an interesting little town. It's extremely easy to like Jessica Fletcher.
Jun 21, 2016 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I admit it. I'm a huge fan of Murder, She Wrote. It's one of those shows that I never get tired of watching. This book is okay, but it definitely loses something in the transition from show to page. Not only that, there were also some little continuity errors that bothered me - the biggest for me being Sheriff Metzger's wife... the author refers to her as Maureen, but her name from the show is Adele. Maybe he got remarried somewhere in a previous book? I don't know. But it bothered me. Probably ...more
Aug 01, 2016 Elisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
E' la prima volta che leggo un libro della Fletcher, ho sempre seguito la serie della signora in Giallo e speravo di ritrovare nel libro la stesso tipo di trama ma il libro mi ha deluso, non mi ha per nulla catturata se non nei primi capitoli. Dopo l'omicidio si brancola nel buio, l'autore non riesce a coinvolgere il lettore nella ricerca dell'assassino. Ho trovato questo romanzo, quindi, freddino e abbastanza inutile, da leggere sotto l'ombrellone in spiaggia.
Oct 09, 2016 iReadFluff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. Perfect cozy mystery read for around Halloween time.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Trick or Treachery: Book #14- 3.5 stars...

I use to love to watch the Murder She Wrote series on TV but I've never read any of the books until now. I thought it would be fun to revisit the series during our Booklikes Halloween Bingo and see if the books are as good as the show. This book in particular is set during the Halloween season & one of the older versions of this book has a pumpkin on the cover (see below) so it was also perfect for my "Pumpkin" square.

This is a fun story- all of the
Sep 30, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good Halloween read. One of my more favorite seasonal reads.
Oct 14, 2016 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has all the trappings that a Halloween novel needs. The ending on the last page could not have been any more perfect.
Oct 21, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun escape to Cabot Cove. Love that it was in first person. The author really got the tv series down. I'll check out other books in this series.
This was such an enjoyable and entertaining Halloween mystery. Jessica Fletcher attends a Halloween party and before the night is over, a body is discovered murdered on the premises. This makes all the costumed guests suspects. As Sheriff Mort Metzger begins his investigation into the murder, Jessica can't resist joining in the investigation, as well, offering her assistance.

Cabot Cove was the perfect setting for this Halloween tale. The cast of characters were a lot of fun, including an alleged
The Women's Myste...: #14 Trick or Treachery 1 6 Aug 10, 2013 12:00AM
  • Halloween Murder (Lindy Haggerty, #4)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • A Catered Christmas Cookie Exchange (A Mystery with Recipes, #9)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • A Second Helping of Murder (A Comfort Food Mystery, #2)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • Chili con Carnage
  • Last Christmas
  • Halloween in Paradise (Tj Jensen Paradise Lake Mysteries Book 6)
  • Murder Sends a Postcard (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #3)
  • Killer Knots (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #9)
  • Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Halloweenland
  • Drizzled with Death (Sugar Grove Mystery, #1)
  • A Biscuit, a Casket (Pawsitively Organic Mystery #2)

Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and publi
More about Jessica Fletcher...

Murder, She Wrote (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1)
  • Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2)
  • Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3)
  • Brandy and Bullets (Murder, She Wrote, #4)
  • Martinis & Mayhem (Murder, She Wrote, #5)
  • A Deadly Judgment (Murder, She Wrote, #6)
  • A Palette for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #7)
  • The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote, #8)
  • Murder on the QE2 (Murder, She Wrote, #9)
  • Murder in Moscow (Murder, She Wrote, #10)