Trick or Treachery (Murder, She Wrote, #14)

Trick or Treachery (Murder, She Wrote #14)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  31 reviews
With the arrival of a spiritual medium in town, the annual Halloween party in Cabot Cave takes on a real scary tone. When a self-proclaimed witch ends up dead in the graveyard, Jessica stirs through a witches' brew of motives--and concocts a scary scheme of her own to make sure the guilty ghoul doesn't get away with murder.
Published October 1st 2000 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Trick or Treachery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trick or Treachery

Felicia
My deep dark secret - I'm obsessed with watching Murder, She Wrote. In fact, I can't fall asleep without watching an episode on Netflix. You know those bracelets that say WWJD - I think they really stand for What Would Jessica Do. Thought I'd try one of the books just to see if it is as soothing....
Well, it's not horrible but does lose something in the translation from TV show to book.
Kate
Another fun installment in the Murder She Wrote series. This one involves a Halloween costume party, a potential witch, ghosts and speaking with the dead. Perfect for Halloween!
Marco Jean-Bob

2-- stelle.

L’estate 2012 ho letto uno dei libri della saga della Signora in giallo; Murder, she wrote. Questa saga letteraria è stata tratta dal celebre telefilm che vede per protagonista Jessica Fletcher, interpretata da Angela Lansbury, scrittrice di romanzi gialli e perennemente intrusa in un omicidio reale. Grazie alla sua arguzia riesce sempre a riconoscere il colpevole.
Trovo che questa attrice reciti molto bene; anche se la preferisco nel più fantasioso "Pomi d’ottone e manici di scopa",...more
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
As always the Murder, She Wrote books are good. The book moves rather slowly until the murder takes place. It picks up and is more enjoyable to read once Jessica can start solving the crime.
Chadwick Saxelid
A review from my blog, written and published (appropriately enough) October 11, 2006.

The annual Halloween bash held by one of Cabot Cove's wealthiest citizens is ruined when an unpopular woman gets her head bashed in during the party.

While I don't watch all that much TV, I do read a lot of books that are based on TV series (not to mention movies and video games). But one of the shows I do like to watch, when able, is the old fashioned murder mystery series, Murder, She Wrote. The mysteries didn'...more
Paul Lunger
Halloween in Cabot Cove, Maine is full of tricks, treats & the murder of a mysterious outsider after a party in this 2000 novel. As one of the earlier novels, it's written in almost the first person with Jessica Fletcher doing most of the narrating. The problem is the majority of the characters in this story are uninteresting & rather boring. After the murder, we have our usual round of investigating & a rather psychopathic suspect who does nothing to advance this sub-par entry. It's...more
Michelle
Joan Schrock
A simple little Halloween mystery by Jessica Fletcher, about Jessica Fletcher with the usual cast of characters: Doc, the sheriff, assorted citizens of her coastal, small town in Maine. Has all the Halloween ingredients, a ghost,a cemetary,a costume party,and of course a murder.
Kristin Stone
Fun little cozy mystery.
Berry
[As always, this rating is relevant only to this corner of fiction: MSW "novels" and others based on TV shows. Obviously with these mass market, pop fic, "readables" I don't consider the quality of the prose or anything.]

This one was straight up horrid. It has potential, but suffers from insipid characters and a drawn-out, repetitive plot. Sorry, JB. PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!
Shannon Renee
These mac and cheese comfort reads are strangely quite enjoyable. I loved MSW as a kiddo, and the books take me back to that. This one had a terrbile beginning, but after the first 150 or so read hard and fast. Can't wait to check out the next adenture for Jess at the library (if I can remember how many I've read.)
Linda
The books of this series are always light, enjoyable reads with characters the reader has grown to know. I think "Trick or Treachery" is one of the best of the group...clever and intriguing plot with lots happening. Fans of "Murder She Wrote" won't be disappointed.
Janice
I think I have found a guilty pleasure in the Murder She Wrote book series. I love the characters in the stories and just a good mystery. Can't wait to dive into the next book.
Sharlin
this was a low three. light and somewhat entertaining, but definitely not a page turner. i did want to get to the end, but there was no urgency to do so.
Barbz
Decidedly not my favorite in this series. The ending felt like a total cope-out after the way the rest of the book was set up.
Cindy
Another fun ride with jessica. Loved the setting and the Moose dancing at the party was a crack up.
Katie
A good one to read in small installments. Easy to pick back up after a few days and know what's going on.
Andrea
I always love Murder She Wrote books. Jessica and the whole Cabot Cove town is just a great setting.
L.K.
My favorite Murder, She Wrote book so far. Loved the spooky element, and I didn't guess the ending.
Chelsea
This is an excellent Halloween cozy mystery without any cursing (pun intended). :-D
Sarah Jowett
Another good one in the series... and I'm finally reading them in order, ha
Herb
I'm actually re-reading this in honor of Halloween. I just love these books!
Taylor Fenner
Personally, I like the tv show better. But it was a nice, quick read.
Derek Farrell
Not bad but a little flat humourless and rather generic. Shame.
Deb Jarnagin
Not as good as the TV show but still a great cozy mystery to read.
Kim
It wasn't a bad cozy. I'll read more of them in the future.
Carly
naturally i had to read at least one Murder She Wrote book.
Kathryn
"Murder She Wrote Jessica Fletcher, Donald Bain "
Andy Malhi
A really really good halloween book
The Women's Myste...: #14 Trick or Treachery 1 6 Aug 10, 2013 12:00AM
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • The Missing Dough (Pizza Lovers, #6)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Clammed Up
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Christmas Carol Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #20)
  • Blackwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #13)
  • Murder Hooks a Mermaid (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #2)
  • Chili con Carnage
  • The Chocolate Book Bandit (A Chocoholic Mystery, #13)
  • A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook: Hannah Swensen's Recipes From The Cookie Jar
  • Revenge of the Cootie Girls (Robin Hudson, #3)
Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and published by the New American Library. The author credit for the novels is shared with the fic...more
More about Jessica Fletcher...
Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1) Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2) A Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11) Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3) Murder on the QE2 (Murder, She Wrote, #9)