Start by marking “The Runner's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Runner's Handbook

The Runner's Handbook

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  25 reviews
If you're a runner, or would like to be one, The Runner's Handbook will answer all your questions. Fitness expert Bob Glover-who has trained thousands of runners-shows you how to devise a training program and keep at the top of your form.
Published June 1st 1996 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Runner's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runner's Handbook

Annie
Apr 07, 2008 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring runners and people who haven't yet dared to dream of running!
When people ask me (and I am not kidding, they actually do ask me!) how I learned to run, I say, well, I bought this book and I did what it said. It is pretty much magical, people, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Perhaps one day, there will be an update to it, but for now, I think this is the best it gets.

Guides you from non-running to running. This book is totally sensible and practical and practicable. I went from never having run in my life to running 3-5 times a week, which I've bee
Adam
This book has some great advice. There is, unfortunately, a lot of filler, including fifty pages of copy-and-pasted nutrition advice you already know (I mean, come on Bob -- the Food Pyramid? Really?) The book is also confusingly organized, so that it can be difficult to sort the actual training advice from the general ra-ra-running-is-great cheerleading, especially in the early chapters. That said, for folks like me who would rather read a guide than join a club, this is the perfect personal tr ...more
Majik
Contrary to its title, this book is not very good for beginning runners. It's a bit snooty and glossy-overy and assumes that you've been running or at least exercising a lot for most of your adult life. It skips important things like how to build up your stamina and what diet to eat while running. Its only suggestion in regard to diet is "LOTS of pasta," which is pretty much the same as saying "eat garbage and run a lot." This book is probably dated today, as it's missing a lot of important disc ...more
Mindi Bennett
This is a really big book for something as simple as "putting one foot in front of the other". I skimmed most of it, but also found a lot of helpful information. I really liked learning about the studies that show how women improve their aerobic capacity after childbirth. Joan Samuelson, the 1984 Women's Olympic Marathon winner said, "No marathon has ever been as difficult as labor." I've survived labor four times, hopefully I'll feel the same way about marathons after I run one (in June if all ...more
Tammy
I admit it; I skimmed. But even so, I learned a lot about running and this book got me through Basis Training alive. Army Drill Sergeants will do a lot (of yelling and otherwise) to get their trainees through Basic, but they don't know anything about running other than "just do it and do it fast... in that direction." This book helped me not only in Basic, but afterwards as I continue to train. During one of my tests in AIT, I even had FUN! A phenomenon that still occurs from time to time.
Emily
This book really helped me get back into running after my first two pregnancies. Bob Glover's running advice is very accessible (versus elitist like some running books) and you feel very supported in your running goals, whatever they may be, just by reading it. I used the plan in this book to train for and run my first marathon in 2009. Although I've been a runner for many years, I still felt I got a lot out of this book and recommend it to anyone who runs or aspires to run.
Andres Mosquera Salazar
Buen libro para comprender de manera general los conceptos del deporte de los corredores: la maratón . El libro trata muchos temas de manera sintetizada que sirven de gran ayuda para los corredores principiantes e intermedios.

De manera muy particular, el libro me ha motivado a seguir corriendo y querer perseverar en este deporte.
Kelly
Jun 29, 2007 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in starting or continuing to run
This is a fantastic running reference, useful to most types of runners, but especially those starting out. I still use it as an ongoing reference, picking it up every few weeks or so. I posted a long review on Amazon, also available at http://caileagleisg.blogspot.com/2007....
Paul Ratazzi
Jan 29, 2013 Paul Ratazzi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning runners
Recommended to Paul by: Found in bookstore
Read this when I first started running, c. 1997. It's full of great information that helped me learn a more structured, purposeful approach to training. In addition to the old Galloway book, this book was an important part of the first few thousand miles of my running life.
AF
This looked helpful based upon the Amazon reviews, and recently a friend who is a runner said it was a good book. Lots of good tips for starting out and info on shoes, heart monitors, etc. Has tons of motivational stuff for those who need it (or you can skip it if you don't).
Christina
Oct 10, 2009 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any runner or racer
Shelves: health, non-fiction
Like the NYC Road Runner's classes they teach, the Glovers' focus mainly on beginner racers. But there are chapters in this book for everything from extreme weather running to diet, to motivation, 5Ks to marathons. It's one of my bedside staples. I have 2 copies!
InYourFaceNewYorker
This is a wonderful book for training the beginner runner or-- in my case-- retraining! It comes with workouts to help get yourself in shape, tests so that you know where you're starting from, and even a bit of information about exercise physiology!
Randy Marcellus
This was a 400,000 ft view of running. If you've jogged more than a mile, this book isn't for you. If you're considering leaving the couch but haven't quite gotten to it, this books for you.
Didn't technically finish, but close enough. Decent book with a good overview of EVERYTHING but a bit dated. Still was worth picking up from the library (I love you library books on Kindle).
Jenny
Great book for getting a person motivated and learning some basics of running. I brushed up on a few techniques and otherwise made sure I wasn't doing things all wrong. =)
Alison
A year ago I had never run more than 3 miles. This book helped me get through a half-marathon and then the St. George marathon with all kinds of excellent tips.
Ann
Lots of great information for a beginning runner, with training plans you can go back to again and again as you prepare for bigger and better races!
Heather
learned a ton. Thanks to a friend for loaning it to me. My newly-found hobby of running is going to improve from what I've learned!
Michelle
This is great book about running. I have gone back to it quite a bit. For those of us who are beginners...I think it is especially helpful!
Tiffany
Love the empowerment this program provides. My 5 year old and I hope to try the schedule out!
Alison
Oct 15, 2008 Alison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alison by: Jenn
An excellent guide to running. The advice was sensible, very helpful and inspiring.
Reet78
Great book, I will keep it forever despite the fact I haven't run in years!
Violet
Great resource for anyone trying to get into running.
Liza
Every runner should have it on the bookshelf.
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Akkayut Joe
Akkayut Joe marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Running: Everything You Need to Run for Fun, Fitness and Competition
  • The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer
  • The Complete Book of Running
  • Stretching
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Pose Method of Running
  • Making the Cut: The 30-Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You
  • The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • Galloway's Book on Running
  • Lore of Running
  • The Complete Book Of Running For Women
  • ChiRunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running
  • Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
Bob Glover is best known as an author of instructional running books. He is author of the book The Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners, which is a best-seller trade paperback. Another Glover book, The Competitive Runner's Handbook has sold nearly 200,000 copies.
Glover is also notable for his coaching. In 1978, he directed his first New Yo
More about Bob Glover...
The Competitive Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Guide to Running 5Ks through Marathons Runner's Handbook: A Complete Fitness Guide for Men and Women on the Run The New Competitive Runner's Handbook The Runner's Training Diary: For Fitness Runners and Competitive Racers New Competetive Runner's Handbook, The