Start by marking “The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)

The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries #18)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,702 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
R is for Racehorse . . .

And they’re off! Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are excited to see Uncle Warren’s new racehorse, Whirlaway, in action. But the night before the big race, the horse disappears! He shows up the next day, just in time to lose the race. Why is Whirlaway suddenly so slow? Can the kids figure it out–or is Whirlaway out of the winner’s circle for good? A to Z
Published July 8th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Racehorse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Racehorse

Corbin Billington
May 16, 2013 Corbin Billington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about three friends who are visiting Forest Evens, who owns a winning race horse. People begin to get fureous that Forest's horse, Whirlaway, is winning and a friend of Forest steals WHirlaway. Whirlaway just so happens to have a twin who is much slower than he is and the man who stole Whirlaway replaces him with a horse called Dancer in Forest's barn. Eventually the kids put there detective skills to the test and find Whirlaway. I ratd this book four out of five stars, because the ...more
Kori Looker
The Runaway Racehorse is a story about a horse named Whirlaway that has gone missing. Three kids, Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose, go out to solve the mystery of where Whirlaway has ran off to. They found Whirlaway with his mother eating hay. What they don't know is that it's actually not Whirlaway! The kids go the horse races to watch their friend Sunny who is a jockey. Sunny is the owner of Whirlaway. The race started and Whirlaway came in dead last, which is unusual because Whirlaway is one of the ...more
Dan Crist
Hunter
Jan 10, 2013 Hunter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Runaway Racehorse" was a good book that shows that kids can solve mysteries. The three kids Rose, Dink, and Josh go to their uncle's house to watch his horse race. The day before the race Whirlaway, the racehorse, gets out of the barn and runs away. Whirlaway comes back to the barn later that evening but she just seems different. Can the kids figure out what is different about Whirlaway?

I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to read a good book. This book is good for any ages. It
Nathan Burton
"The Runaway Racehorse" is a good book about three young children. Dink the leader of the group, Ruth Rose the intelligence, and Josh the comic relief. They all go to Dink's uncle's house to watch Dink's Uncle Warren's race horse, Whirlaway, race. However, disaster strikes when Whirlaway goes missing from the barn. The kids have to try to find the horse and the master mind behind the horse knapping. I would recommend this book to someone in elementary school, because it was an easy reader, and I ...more
Deepthi Herga
Nov 19, 2015 Deepthi Herga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snugli-books
My 7 - year old has finished the entire set of the A to Z mysteries (including all the super editions). I started reading them because I wanted to find out how good these mysteries are and after I started, I finished the entire set myself. This will be a common review for all the books in the set (so please forgive me if you see this repeated under another book).

First of all, the mystery part of the book is fairly simple for an adult, but I can see how it can keep a kid engrossed. The characters
Stephanie Butzer
This was a very cute book! I would recommend this book to elementary kids and middle school. Boys or girls would like this book. It has a great story line and keeps you reading. Readers want to find out where the "lost" racehorse went. The ending has a bit of a twist. The three kids in the story are so interested in racing, but they get very disappointed when their racehorse loses...Or does he?
Awesome short mystery!
Marlee
Jun 15, 2014 Marlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book in a fun series. My children were able to solve this one, but they enjoy being able to figure out the mystery. Some things in this series would seem kind of ridiculous if I wasn't reading them with younger children. However, I find them to be a lot of fun to share with my kids.
Jade Nichole
This book was about a Racehorse that ran away. Three kids, Ruth Rose,Josh,and Dink all go out and try to find the racehorse. Whirlaway, the racehorse is one of the fastest horses Sunny has ever had. When the kids finally find him, it really isn't him, but they didn't know that. They end up taking him back and the fake Whirlaway loses his next race. Everyone is upset, they don't understand what went wrong ever since Whirlaway ran away. The kids end up going to Mr. Bunk's place and figure out that ...more
Liz
Oct 20, 2014 Liz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Have had the A-Z Mystery books on my classroom bookshelf for ten years and finally got around to reading one. Not a fan. It's hard for me to understand why so these are popular with kids. About three kids who go around solving mysteries. Good enough. But there is nothing special about them that I can see.
Emily
Jun 08, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
There was this man that switched the two horses around. So one of the horses was really fast and was the man's, and the other one was really slow. Then they got the fast horse back. I liked that it was about horses and horse races.
luhvBOOKS
Aug 24, 2012 luhvBOOKS rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Title: The Runaway Horse

Author: Ron Roy

Series: A to Z Mysteries #18

Rating:

Summary: R is for Racehorse... And they’re off! Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are excited to see Uncle Warren’s new racehorse, Whirlaway, in action. But the night before the big race, the horse disappears! He shows up the next day, just in time to lose the race. Why is Whirlaway suddenly so slow? Can the kids figure it out–or is Whirlaway out of the winner’s circle for good?

Review: My two favorite series when I was in third g
Seth
Feb 14, 2015 Seth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: by-myself
they went to new york. it was for a race. it was uncle warrens horse that was in the race. the horse kept running away. the horse was named whirlaway.
Melissa Namba
This reminded me of the Encyclopedia Brown books that I loved reading as a kid. Many of the characters are over exaggerated, but it is a cute and interesting story. I always felt like I was learning something when I read E.B. and I am sure that kids will feel the same way when reading this.
Neliya
Mar 02, 2015 Neliya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was amazing it was about a horse that got stollen alrighty im not going to spoil it for you guys.
Beth Anne
Aug 28, 2015 Beth Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, 2015
Read aloud to Emma and Will. One of my favorites of the series. I thought they mystery was cleverly done and even though I figured it out, it held together well.
Kaytee
Jul 18, 2015 Kaytee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the reason why i like this book is it has a lot of details and alot of expreshon
Luke Ewell
Jun 10, 2015 Luke Ewell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the A to Z mystery series and I am trying to read all of them.
Aaron_ebert
May 17, 2013 Aaron_ebert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children between the ages of 8-12
Recommended to Aaron_ebert by: Zach Costello
Shelves: childrens-books
"The Runaway Racehorse" by Ron Roy is a book about a time when Josh, Dink and Ruth Rose take a train to visit Uncle Forest in New York. Uncle Forest is a horse trainer who trains horses for the derby. He and his prized horse, Whirlaway, are coveted by many trainers. Lately, Whirlaway has been acting strange. Sonny, Forest's jockey, said, "He rides like a different horse." Little did they know, he was. Read the book to find out the exciting conclusion. I would recommend this book to chilren 8-12 ...more
Yasuko Takatsuki
I Liked it
Kaetlyn
Jan 13, 2016 Kaetlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are going to Dink's grandfather's house to see a new race horse he bought a couple days of ago. Sunny, his rider, went to the stable to get Whirlaway for some practice and when she got there he was gone.But then she heard a whinning sound.She thought it was Whirlaway.But the next door neighbor took the horse and traded it for his slow horse.So his son would win.

I like when everyone found out that Whirlaway was stolen by there neighbor. And got him back.
Dolly
Sep 07, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another intriguing book in the A to Z Mysteries series. Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose visit Dink's Uncle Warren and his friend, Forest Evans, to watch their horse race. And of course, a mystery ensues. While the solution was pretty obvious to me, the plot kept our girls guessing until the end. They really enjoy these books and we are eager to read the next one.
Isabella García
Apr 25, 2016 Isabella García rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: third graders
I liked very much because it has Mystery and suspense
Jessica
Sep 29, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a banner evening we had. We not only finished the Lucky Lottery but we also read all of the Runaway Racehorse. My kids were riveted by it, and the mystery crept up on us all of a sudden, instead of hitting us over the head. My sons were quite intrigued by the subtlety and as always were charmed by the animals in the story. Lots of new vocabulary for them too.
Shashvat
Jan 24, 2016 Shashvat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose try to find their friend's missing racehorse. This is a gr8 book!!!
Amanda
Jun 08, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danika
It was good. It was about a horse that went in a race and they didn't know but there was this other horse and they put black polish on his forehead so they could steal the other horse. And so they finally found out and that guy was the neighbor. it was great. 85 pages.
Jodi
Sep 03, 2010 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young readers
Recommended to Jodi by: Bosler Memorial Library Reading Program
My daughter chose this book from completing the summer reading program at the library because it had a horse on the cover. Another cute series that we'll have to read more of because both of my children seemed to enjoy it and it was nice to try to solve the mystery!
  • Blizzard of the Blue Moon (Magic Tree House, #36)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Stop That Hamster! (Ready, Freddy!, #12)
  • Nate the Great Goes Down in the Dumps
  • Space Explorers (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...

A to Z Mysteries (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)
  • The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)

“Josh picked up a French fry, dipped it in ketchup, and drew his initials on his plate.” 0 likes