Start by marking “Her Fork in the Road: Women Celebrate Food and Travel” as Want to Read:
Her Fork in the Road: Women Celebrate Food and Travel

Her Fork in the Road: Women Celebrate Food and Travel

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Women's relationships with food are passionate and obsessive, embracing and comforting, complex and frustrating. This savory sampling of stories — by some of the best writers in and out of the food and travel fields — journeys to the heart of these age-old relationships, taking readers from the familiar kitchens of contemporary America to the far reaches of the globe. In F ...more
Published October 5th 2005 by Travelers' Tales (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Her Fork in the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Fork in the Road

Kerith
Delicious memoirs of many different women and their gustatory adventures from all over. Familiar writers like Laurie Colwin and MFK Fisher join new ones to make a tasty read. I read it almost in one sitting and then had to have a snack.
Judy
I enjoyed this series of essays (many excerpted from longer travel books) by women talking about food (and drink) while traveling. So much can be learned about a culture from their cooking and eating patterns and in most cases the authors were able to include these lessons along with making you wish you had been there to share in the feasts. Notable exceptions where you definitely would not wish to share the meal are still entertaining.
Kel Sta
Aug 19, 2011 Kel Sta rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of food and travel
I'm a fan of the 'Travelers' Tales' imprint, and their anthologies offer much inspiration for further reading, among other things. This book does not let them down in those respects, but some of the editor's little info bytes boxed to the side of the main text of the stories had me wondering about their factuality. For example, in one of these she proclaims that eggs are the most popular pizza topping in Australia. As an Australian who has consumed her share of a variety of pizzas in my home lan ...more
Crystal
Immensely entertaining. Truly delicious. So often you read about the conflicted relationships women have with food - now read about adventurous women feeding their twin hungers for taste and experience. Can't wait to read more in this series!
Kerry
Nov 25, 2007 Kerry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Travellers and Food Enthusiasts
Several tales of travel and the food that went along with it. These stories from several women are engaging and show us that what you put in to your body contributes to who you are. Adventurer...sissy....paranoid...food conscious.

I liked this book, but would have enjoyed reading more of certain stories. Luckily, there are great references for the other works of the contributing authors.
Cheryl Jane
Great short stories, excerpts from stories, books from travel/food adventures around the world. Cannot think of a better combination for me! Travelers' Tales has many many more such compilations. I now have several pages of books to find. Hated for the stories in this book to end.
Bethany Anne
Was great to read this while killing time at the airport. The only downside is that my favorite stories took place on continents that I wasn't visiting.
Shannon
I enjoy the shorts pulled together by Travelers Tales and the way they can transport you to exotic andexciting places through other peoples stories.
Jane
Really enjoyed this book and I've given it as a gift to many friends; just as a dear friend gave it to me!
Julie
Some essays were funny, interesting, or entertaining while others were less so.
Lauren
encouraged me to keep eatting while reading and traveling in Europe!
Laurie
Jul 16, 2007 Laurie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves food or travel
Short stories about women traveling and their adventures in food.
Chetna
Chetna marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Rainabaina
Rainabaina marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Sherwood
Sherwood marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
JulieK
JulieK marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Saritha
Saritha marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Carissa
Carissa marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Crystal Bulges
Crystal Bulges marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
365 Travel: A Daily Book of Journeys, Meditations, and Adventures The Ultimate Golf Journal