Start by marking “Awful Ogre's Awful Day” as Want to Read:
Awful Ogre's Awful Day

Awful Ogre's Awful Day

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  47 reviews
I'm an awful, awful ogre,

Absolutely awful ogre.

I'm so awful, Awful Ogre

Is my awful ogre name ...

Awful Ogre is huge, hungry, horrible –– and totally lovable. Larger than life, Awful Ogre packs into one day enough excitement, imagination, emotion, and sheer ebullience to last most of us a lifetime. In his awful, irresistible way, he steals the heart of every reader.

Ages 6+
Published July 26th 2005 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Awful Ogre's Awful Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awful Ogre's Awful Day

Echo's Revenge by Sean AustinOz by Eric ShanowerAdventures in Cartooning by James SturmThe Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Reluctant (Boy) Readers
29th out of 51 books — 6 voters
Rapunzel by Paul O. ZelinskyThe Lion and the Stoat by Paul O. ZelinskyKnick Knack Paddywhack (New York Times Best Illustrated Child... by Paul O. ZelinskyThe Wheels on the Bus by Paul O. ZelinskyThe Maid And The Mouse And The Odd Shaped House by Paul O. Zelinsky
Best of Paul O. Zelinsky
25th out of 31 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

NS - Cami Houston
Appropriate 3-5, My rattlesnake awakens me, I swat its scaly head. My buzzard pecks my belly Till I fling it from my bed. My rats attack me as I rise But scatter when I roar. boot my sweet tarantula Across the stony floor.

I tickle my piranha, Who rewards me with a bite, Then disengage the leeches That besiege me overnight. I flick aside the lizard Clinging grimly to my chin, And now I feel I'm ready For my morning to begin.

Thus starts the first quirky poem of many about the charming ogre's awfu
Cassandra
I thought this book was great. It consists of different poems about an ogre's summer. My favorite is "Ogre Attends a Concert." The poems use a lot of colorful words that student's probably wouldn't see often. It is also a very funny book because it shows ogres in a comical way. The pictures are great and very detailed.

I would definitely use this book in my classroom. After reading the book to the class, I would have the students write their own ogre poem. We would discuss that all of the poems
Kim Valentine
This is a book of poems by children's Poet Laureate Jack Prelutsky. It is recommended for children preschool to 4th grade. Written about an ogre's summer. Each page is a poem about something the order does during the summer like eat weasels or paint rats. I think the words would be above what a preschool or kindergarten would understand but the pictures and the gross things the ogre does would appeal to little boys. This author has written over 30 books so if I were to find a student who enjoyed ...more
Roger

I always hear that if you write children's books, don't make them rhyme unless you are Dr. Seuss. Thankfully Jack Prelutsky ignored that advice and wrote a very entertaining rhyming book with the ogre doing lot's of gross things that me and my kids loved. The detailed pictures make it fun to go back and see what you missed the first few times you read it.
Karen
Of course the poems- the rhyme, the rhythm, the humor - are great: it's Jack Prelutsky! My oldest is not a huge poetry lover, but he's always game for Prelutsky - The New Kid on the Block is one of my all-time favorites, and now it's one of his, too. Awful Ogre is definitely related to Shrek (the William Steig original, not the Dreamworks softie.) He's mean and rude and gross - absolutely perfect for little boys! Next up, Awful Ogre Running Wild!
Mary Ann
Gross and yucky poetry that will have kids laughing, Awful Ogre's Awful Day gives the disgusting details of Ogre's day: eating his gargoyle bile breakfast, tending his carnivorous roses, to bidding goodnight to savage raptors and nasty maggots. Along the way, Prelutsky's book introduces some excellent vocabulary words and clever rhyme, not to mention plenty of funny drawings for kids to enjoy. Sure to make your day more Awful!
Holly
The rhythm and ridiculousness makes this poem fun to read and engaging for children. For lack of a better word, some of the text and illustrations are a little gross, however, the absurd notions of what makes an ogre happy diminish the effect of such “grossness.” I think it is a very silly and effective way to teach children that what you might consider awful, someone else might consider wonderful.
Michael
Very original poems, very funny ideas with a lot of irony. Not sure an ogre is the best role model, but that is probably just what kids are looking for. They actually have some racial (and species) diversity, although the love poem had some beauty stereotyping which I could have done without. The ideas are sometimes advanced, and by that I mean maybe age 7(?) rather than age 4.
Anja Manning
I know I have issues with books revelling in ugliness (the 'original' Shrek for example). But as much as I couldn't appreciate Paul O. Zelinsky's beautiful illustrations with their ugly elements, the poems are truly wonderful.
I can imagine how kids would have a favorite poem that they can't get enough of. The 'naughtiness' and 'otherness' of the Awful Ogre's life is adorable.
NS- Sarah
This is a book that I envision older readers picking up. I also think boys might like it more than girls would. The ogres in this book are quite strange looking which I think boys would find amusing. The rhyme is fun to read and I liked the variety of the topics that the poems covered. I don't think this would be a book I would purchase for my classroom, though.
Heather
Awful Ogre has a truly awe-inspiringly awful day eating a gross breakfast, hanging out in his terrible garden, and thinking various horrible thoughts--all in rhyme. Wasn't quite as lol-funny as some of Prelutsky's other titles, but fun anyway. I bet kids love it. My favorite part was Awful Ogre's frightening nightmare of a lovely pastoral landscape.
Kelly
Illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky. I thought that this was just a hilarious, perfect-for-boys book. It was so gross and funny. I think it would be best for a little bit older than the picture book crowd so that they could understand more of the humor, but I'm sure all ages of boys would like it since the illustrations are so great as well.
Somona
Author: Jack Prelutsky
Illustrator: Paul Zelinsky
Publisher: HarperTrophy
Genre: Poetry Book
Summary: A collection of poems about the activities (waking up, eating, hygiene) during an Ogre’s awful day.
Response: In my opinion, the illustrations in the book were the most attractive aspect.
Theme/Concept/Connection: Poems, rhymes
Angela
Gross and funny poems fill this book by master Jack Prelutsky. Each poem, through related to each other and organized in a chronological fashion to reflect the activities of Ogre's day, stand alone in their story, hilarity and skillful construction. Great potential for use as additions to a variety of storytimes.
Susan Menk
Tags: ogres, exaggeration, opposites, day in the life, children, picture book, poetry, humor, non-fiction

Poems about the ogre take the reader through all the parts of Awful Ogre's awful day.

811.54

Prelutsky, Jack, illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky. "Awful Ogre's Awful Day." New York: Greenwillow Books, 2001.
Hillary
This collection of poems describes a day in the life of an ogre. The text and illustrations may appeal to some young readers, but the vocabulary can be difficult. This collection would be better for older elementary students who can appreciate the vocabulary and detail of the work.
Nancy Jo Lambert
I am doing an author study slash poetry cafe and station exploration with the kids at my school for National Poetry month. This is one of the books I am using for this activity. I enjoy Jack Prelutsky's poems because they are easy to read and understand and also fun!
Brandy Gilbertson
The illustrations in here are pretty humorous. This one contains poems that may be a little longer than the short poems I feel like children are more used to. The text also have different fonts which dependent on the reader may be positive or negative.
Maryanne
Cody never gets tired of this book, I can't imagine how many times I've read it to him. It's written in poem form; very clever and funny. But it's the pictures that make it so much fun, plenty of gross ogre type things to keep his boy mind riveted.
Lizzy Lan
Follow Awful Ogre throughout his day, from when he wakes up in the morning to creepy crawly critters, to when he wrestles with his friend, from dining out at a fancy restaurant to dreaming about scary things, such as rainbows and butterflies.
Katharine
I expected to love this, but, meh. The illustrations are silly - my 7 year old liked the boxes of "Ogre-O's" and "Ratz" on the table. This ogre just didn't have the fun of Shrek though, he was more truly awful and not as funny to us.
Karin Adams
Apr 16, 2012 Karin Adams added it
Shelves: lis-645
An unusual picture book of poems, for sure! I found Awful Ogre completely disgusting and awful! The pictures really brought the poems to life, the details of disgusting things within the illustrations were truly gross!
Nona Goodwin
One of Jack Prelutsky's many poetry books. This one has a consistent theme throughout, and each poem relates to the others to tell a story. I think his writing is very clever.
Elizabeth
From the book, "Summary: In a series of poems, Awful Ogre rises, grooms himself, dances, pens a letter, and goes through other activities as the day passes."
Ryan Dreier
Illustrated by: Paul O. Zelinsky

Great verse poetry book that is silly and delightful. Chronicles Awful Orge's day from sunup to sun down.
Michelle
Humorous poems about the day in the life of an ogre. The illustrations by Paul O. Zelinsky were a bit too busy and distracting for my taste.
Kayla
Written in rhyming and verse, a very fun book. Funny poems that will make readers laugh and engaging pictures that are fun to look at.
Shayna Katz
My mom used to read me this book all the time when I was little. It was always kind of gross but fun at the same time!
The reader goes through a day in the life of Awful Ogre. The poems are funny as they depict Ogre's day.
Beth Cronk
For kids who like Shrek and other obnoxious stuff for amusement. Very advanced vocabulary in funny rhymes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...
The New Kid on the Block Hooray For Diffendoofer Day! (Dr Seuss) A Pizza the Size of the Sun Something Big Has Been Here The Random House Book of Poetry for Children