Taste Me (Underbelly Chronicles #1)

Taste Me (Underbelly Chronicles #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  66 reviews
The first novel in a gritty, fast-paced, and sexy new urban fantasy romance series featuring a world where incubi, sirens, valkyries, vampires, and werewolves live undetected alongside humankind. Someone has to keep the peace—and the secrets.

He Wants Her So Badly He Can Taste It...

Mass Market Paperback, 370 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Taste Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taste Me

Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Ok, let's get the negatives out of the way shall we...

Firstly, those of you who read my reviews regularly will know I have a huge disliking, a pet peeve if you will, with the the term/genre 'urban fantasy' being used willy-nilly. This book is so obviously a paranormal romance, in every sense, and I'm sure you guys can tell too just by reading the blurb - so why-o-why do publishers keep mixing up genres, it's very, very annoying.

Secondly, there are far too many characters thrown at the reader, es...more
Darynda Jones
I had the pleasure of reading the first chapter of this book, and I was stunned. I absolutely loved it and simply cannot wait to get my hands on the whole thing. I doubt it will take me more than one sitting to devour it. The writing is sharp and sexy made my toes curl. It cannot get here soon enough!

UPDATE:

Wow, I loved this book!!!! It is dark and edgy and sensual as hell. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes edgier paranormals. I will definitely be buying Tamara Hogan's next book!

HOT!
Roxanne
Hmmmm this one was a hard one to rate. The start was ehhhhh very confusing. I didn't know what was going on and we get introduced to like a billion people at once and get told their name, race and where they stand on the Underground Council on one page. Was a bit much too take in and I still can't remember half by the end of the book. I would have given the first half 2 stars.

Buuuuuuut we get to our half way point and it picks up, from here on I really enjoyed it which would make it probably a...more
Blodeuedd Finland
My thoughts:

This book was a mix of many things, paranormal romance mixed with suspense and urban fantasy. The love of music, and passion between the lead characters.

Scarlett is a siren and rock star. She is tired and she is trying to stay away from Lukas with whom she had one glorious fling. She can't forget him. But he is put to protect her and of course things will heat up cos these two really want each other. Lukas is the protective guy who thinks he hurt her in the past, and she, well she j...more
Laura Kaye
Marlene
Originally published at Reading Reality

What if all the supernatural creatures that humanity has ever believed in all existed? All of them? What if they are all watching and waiting from the shadows, plannning for the right time to reveal themselves? Or worrying about the wrong time when our technology is going to force the issue?

Because they've been living amongst us ever since their spaceship crash-landed on Earth, a millenia ago. While they wait and watch, they police themselves. And that's wh...more
Suzanne Johnson
I'm not wild about the title of this book since it makes it sound like erotica and it's really not. The male lead, Lukas, is a succubus who has a genetic flaw that makes him taste people's emotions as well as feel them. What the book IS, is a cool new paranormal romance with good worldbuilding, interesting characters, and solid writing from Tamara Hogan. Looking forward to more in this new series.
Michelle
Taste Me is an Urban Fantasy Romance by Tamara Hogan from Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Book Blurb:

He Wants Her So Badly He Can Taste It...

Ever since their tempestuous fling years ago. incubus Lukas Sebastiani has known that siren Scarlett Fontaine was meant to be his. But when you're a sex demon with an insatiable desire, relationships are way more than complicated.

Her Siren Song Brings Men To Their Knees...

Rock star Scarlett Fontaine is in desperate need of a break after a grueling tour. But with mur...more
Debbie
First off I have to say I really hate the cover. I was hoping the final one would be better but it looks like they kept the same one as the ARC. I assume that is supposed to be Lukas on the cover but geez, could the guy look any more spacey? Hello? Anybody home? Supposedly the woman you lusting over is standing right in front of you. And ummm...that monstrous nipple on his chest? Ewww. Finally that tattoo on her back just bothered me. But let's get on to the story.

I actually enjoyed thi...more
Wendy Hines
Years ago, Lukas and Scarlett had a fling, but it wasn't meant to be. Now, Scarlett is touring with her band and Lukas runs a security agency. This is a world where the supernatural live undetected alongside the humans. There are incubus, succubus, werewolves and more. The council is working on a ruling to reveal the supernatural gradually to human society. But when homicides keep popping up, namely around Scarlett and her band, Luka takes the initiative. He knows Scarlett is the prominent daugh...more
Angie
Synopsis: "He Wants Her So Badly He Can Taste It...

Ever since their tempestuous fling years ago, incubus Lukas Sebastiani has known that siren Scarlett Fontaine was meant to be his. But when you're a sex demon with an insatiable desire, relationships are way more than complicated...

Her Siren Songs Bring Men to Their Knees...

Rock star Scarlett Fontaine desperately needs a break after a grueling tour. But with murder and mayhem surrounding her band, and the one man she never thought to see again p
Paris
This book, which is advertised as an urban fantasy when it is quite obviously a paranormal romance, started off decently. There are a lot of characters, which at times got a tad confusing, but not enough to deter me from continuing. What aggravated me and reminded me of fan fiction was Scarlett’s music career. There are chapters upon chapters dedicated to how great a singer she is (she is a siren after all, so she should be) and how amazing her band is. Okay, that’s fine I guess, but Dave Grohl...more
Laurie Ryan
I expected, by the title alone, that this book would be an erotic, something I don’t normally read. I was, however, pleasantly surprised to find it was not. Don’t get me wrong. It’s sexy, and steamy. VERY steamy. And fast paced is, I think, an understatement. I was riveted by this story. It’s been a long time since I read a novel in less than one week. The tension (both sexual and storyline) is through the roof. My husband caught me more times than not this past week, with my foot tapping furiou...more
Mara
This book has been marketed as a "gritty, fast-paced, and sexy urban fantasy romance". While the latter is certainly true, the first adj. are at best a marketing ploy, at worse false.

There's nothing gritty in this story, nor can I say it's fast paced. (Sexy clearly is personal, so I can't say if other readers will find it sexy.) I'm even uncertain (well, not really) whether it can be called urban fantasy (rather than PNR).
There is some (light) world-building, even if I'm somewhat bored with th...more
Linzi
Mar 20, 2011 Linzi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linzi by: Carolyn Crane
Shelves: kindle
Let me start by saying I loved this book, I'm really glad I bought it for my Kindle. I got it after recommendations from two authors whose work I love (Darynda Jones and Caroline Crane) and it was a great tip.

It's the author's first published book and it's great. A fascinating world that I want to know much, much more about. A broad cast of interesting characters with some possible sequel set-ups, a good plot that flowed well, nice pacing, good writing and a great sense of humour and well writte...more
Lillie
Aug 08, 2012 Lillie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I struggled with this one. It started off with a lot of potential. Rock star heroine coming off a year-long world tour, exhausted and emotionally spent, determined to confront Lukas and get her life back on track. Unfortunately, it fell short of that potential over and over.

Scarlett has loved Lukas since she was a teen and after she grew up, he was her first lover. When he woke up the morning after, he saw he had left bruises on her and ran away with no explanation. This was the major conflict k...more
Ana
The book started okay, but the second half was incredibly frustrating.

Our hero Lukas is an incubi that can sense emotions, good ones and really bad. Like emotions of murderer. Because of some probability that the murder is connected to the Council he is appointed as Scarlett's bodyguard.

Scarlett is a famous singer who is back home after a year long tour. She is exhausted and empty.

Lukas is supposed to be looking for a killer, but he spends most of his time lusting after Scarlett. And he misses...more
Tracy
~* 3.5 Stars *~
An Intriguing and Unique Debut

They are among us, but we will never know they're there. Incubus, siren, werewolves, Valkyrie, and more, all paranormal species, all living right beside us. They stay far under our radar, governing themselves, living their lives. They have completely integrated into our world.

Lukas Sebastiani runs Sebastiani Security, and the incubus has a problem on his hand. Rock star Scarlett Fontaine has just returned to town after a long tour and no sooner has he...more
Colette
Taste Me by Tamara Hogan had such a great premise that I really wanted to love it. However somewhere along the way I realized that I just wasn't connecting or caring about any of the characters in the book. I was so disappointed because the world created has a little bit of all of my favorite paranormal characters. This book ended up being a did not finish for me.

Lukas and Scarlett have grown up together and somewhere along the way became a couple. Lukas broke it off with her because she was a S...more
Cheryl
Many years ago, a bunch of refugees were traveling, when their ship crashed on Earth. The survivors formed a secret council known as the Underworld Council. The council is composed of incubus, sirens, werewolves, vampires, and valkyries. Most recently the council has allowed humans to have a seat in the council.

Lukas Sebastiani is an incubus. His father is the president of the Council. Lukas works for Sebastiani Security.

Scarlett Fontaine is the lead singer in a rock band. She is also a siren....more
drey
Scarlett Fontaine was hooked on Lukas Sebastiani. Too bad he didn't feel the same way. But she's spent the past year touring with her band (she's not running away, nuh uh) so maybe she's weaned herself off of all that now... Or maybe she'll just stay far away from him. She'll find out soon enough--returning home for the last gig of the tour will provide a respite from the grueling schedule that's taken a toll on her health.

But murder has followed Scarlett home, and takes a loved one from her. An...more
Heather
Scarlet, lead singer for the rock band Scarlet's Web and a siren who channels emotion through song, has been on a grueling non-stop year-long concert tour. She's exhausted, she's not eating or sleeping, and she's emotionally stripped bare, so the last thing she needs is having to deal with incubus and former lover Lukas Sebastiani. Unfortunately, Lukas' company is heading up security for her homecoming concert. As the daughter of a Council member, Scarlet could be a target.

Lukas hasn't been abl...more
Marie
Feb 08, 2011 Marie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
This book is part of Sourcebooks - touted as Urban Fantasy romance. Not in my book. The romance was superficial, a simple conversation cleared up what ever internal conflict there was, and that was light as it was. The external was not that good either. The author combined so many paranormal aspects into the book, I got tired of the characters right at the beginning. Multiple point of views was very distracting, as well as the authors usage of the same descriptive terms that most people would no...more
Vashti
Did not care for this book so much.Did not feel the connection between the H/h even though they had a past history together,the H was the h's 1st lover and he left her after their 1st night together when she was a teenager because in the am when he woke up he saw bruises all over her body...huh. what??????......fast foreword to years later,[we don't know how much or I missed that part] and our H is now assigned to protect her from a killer.She is a Siren and he is a?Demon.The H pops antacid like...more
Gina
I LOVED THIS!!!

The world-building was spectacular.
I loved literally everything about it.. except for in the very beginning, in which I was confused by the sheer abundance of characters. It's like going to a party and being rapid-fire introduced to 15 people. You might vaguely remember their faces later in the night, but to remember their name is impossible.

I think the character-building itself though was very well done. The main characters and even many of the secondary characters were descri...more
E.
Scarlett Fontaine is a Siren whose voice is perfect for her singing group. Unfortunately, she is desperately unhappy and virtually wasting away after her last grueling tour. Lukas Sebastiani in an Incubus who has never forgiven himself for his self-perceived transgressions toward the sexy Siren. A series of horrific attacks upon females in their close-knit community thrusts the two back into enforced proximity. Will they survive long enough to resolve their differences? Not if the person perpetr...more
Michelle
I really enjoyed the first book in this new series from Tamara Hogan. I loved how “alpha” Lukas was and really loved how Scarlett was ready to take initiative in her life and make her move on him. This was the second book in a row where there was a character death that I was pretty bummed about and wished for a miracle. I also felt that with some secondary characters, there were stories that I felt like I was missing out on. Almost like there was a novella that introduced other characters and th...more
Elisa Beatty
A fast-paced, gritty, very very sexy read! Fabulous world-building (both the alien-races-crash-landing in Minnesota AND the pheromone-soaked rock-and-roll club scene!!), terrific writing, and one of the very best, most genuinely human villains I've read in a very long time. (The villain is genuinely scary, and yet I found myself caring about him, and wanting to protect him.) The central romance is passionate and emotionally satisfying...the final page of the book is truly sigh-worthy!! Plus the...more
Jackie (Literary Escapism)
Taste Me by Tamara Hogan wasn't that bad of a read. It had some fabulous characters that I enjoyed reading about and I would love to see some of them get a story of their own. However, the mystery wasn't anything special at all. It could have been wiped from the novel and wouldn't have bothered me. It just left me with too many why?? moments. If there are more novels in this series, I would be interested in reading them, but I'm not going to start hunting them done because I just don't know if t...more
Anna
A Siren & Incubus find that they burn for each other. Sex, Rock N' Roll, Murder and much more... Ms. Hogan states on her website that her new series is "CSI meets True Blood." Those being two of my favorite shows, I was eager to check this book out.

Taste Me is edgy with a fresh feel. I enjoyed the story and the world. It has a mixture of the paranormal and mystery. I love that it takes place in Minnesota. I also like that there are several different supernatural creatures that make up the Un...more
  • Demons Prefer Blondes (Demons Unleashed, #1)
  • Lessons After Dark (Englefield, #2)
  • A Demon Does It Better (Hex, #6)
  • The Legend of Michael (Zodius, #1)
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • Hex and the Single Witch (Vehicle City Vampires #1)
  • Where There's Smoke (Good Girls Series, #1)
  • Utterly Charming (Fates, #1)
  • The Night Is Mine (The Night Stalkers, #1)
  • Afterlife (The Resurrection Chronicles, #1)
  • Deliver Me from Darkness (Paladin Warriors, #1)
  • Demon Hunting in Dixie (Demon Hunting, #1)
  • It Happened One Bite (Regency Vampyre Trilogy, #1)
  • Viper Moon (Earth Witches, #1)
  • Banshee Charmer (From the Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency, #1)
  • Infernal Affairs (OSI #4)
  • A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious (Steam Guardians, #1)
  • Forbidden Magic (Wing Slayer Hunters, #5)
Award-winning author Tamara Hogan loathes cold and snow, but nonetheless lives near Minneapolis with her partner Mark and two naughty cats. When she’s not telecommuting to Silicon Valley, she writes paranormal romance with a sci-fi twist. A feral reader with an unapologetic television addiction, Tammy is forever on the lookout for the perfect black boots.

Her debut, TASTE ME, won a Daphne du Mauri...more
More about Tamara Hogan...
Chase Me (Underbelly Chronicles #2) Touch Me (Underbelly Chronicles #2.5) Tempt Me (Underbelly Chronicles #3)