Start by marking “7 Billion Needles, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
7 Billion Needles, Vol. 3

7 Billion Needles, Vol. 3 (7 Billion Needles #3)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Hikaru Takabe used to be the class loner. She was that girl who always kept to herself and would have rather had her headphones on at all times, even during class sessions. She never dared open her heart to anyone. But after she was obliviated by a meteor and rebuilt from her DNA up by a cosmic creature called “Horizon” her outlook on life took a quick turn for the positiv ...more
Published February 15th 2011 by Vertical (first published June 30th 2010)

hadjar
Apr 11, 2015 hadjar rated it did not like it
I don't know why i even carried on with these books, i found them really boring and unrealistic.

It kills me to know i have to leave the series unfinished when i only have 1 more volume to read but i'd rather read something that i actually enjoy rather than forcing myself because then reading just becomes a chore.

I'm still new to graphic novels, these are my first ever graphic novels actually (not counting twilight: the graphic novel) and i hate to say it was a bit of disappointment. However, i
Kari Ramirez
Feb 01, 2014 Kari Ramirez rated it it was amazing
This review is for all four volumes of 7 Billion Needles.

This was on the border of being really interesting and making absolutely no sense to me. Everything was good until volume three when the subspecies and the Moderator were the focal point and things got very science-fictiony. It was intense.

I think that ultimately the series was about friendship. It seems so simple and almost cheesy after all that, but when it all came down to it there seemed to be the overriding theme of loneliness. Once H
Nicole
May 24, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Alex G
May 12, 2015 Alex G rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, manga
(finished on my lunch hr)

after the enemy was defeated in #2, a new challenge has to arise.

i wonder how much of the story/world is Clement's vs tadano's?

Mike
Mar 05, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
7 Billion Needles is a cohesive, building story. While volume 3 is in some sense beginning a new arc, a lot of key context and information will be lost if you start reading here. It's best to go back to the beginning.

Hikaru has returned from the island of her youth with new truths and a not entirely welcome new situation. But she doesn't suspect the full consequences or effects of recent events...

7 Billion Needles has been a real treat thus far, and losses no momentum in this penultimate volume.
Jan
Jun 01, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it
Mario
May 11, 2014 Mario rated it it was amazing
This review originally appeared on my blog, Shared Universe Reviews.

Volume 3:
The third volume of Nabuaki Tadano’s science fiction manga based on “Needle” by Hal Clement mixes elements Tadano previously established in the previous volume with some strange new things and dials it up to eleven. Hikaru continues to make friends and spending time with them is beginning to really affect them in special ways. The introduction of an evolutionary sub-species and a new alien contribute to keeping the ch
John Wiswell
Nov 25, 2013 John Wiswell rated it really liked it
A great rebound volume from the doldrums of Volume 2. Hikaru is now sharing her human body with both the righteous Horizon and scheming Maelstrom. Maelstrom seems more impish than demonic now, though, and not at all its former serial killer self; it’s just the devil on the opposite shoulder from Horizon’s angel. This enables plenty of YA humor, in instances like Hikaru failing a test she couldn’t study for because the voices in her head fought all night. There is also a lovely little bit where M ...more
Jerome Cristoffer
Jan 27, 2016 Jerome Cristoffer rated it liked it
Really awesome volume. The subspecies is now taken over due to the surprise revealed in the ending of volume 2. A lot of the art in this volume is grotesque and the story progresses very nicely.
Charliesabers
May 15, 2013 Charliesabers rated it really liked it
A short, but sweet sci-fi epic which follows Hikaru Takabe, a closed-off teenager, who is constantly on her headphones and pretty much is isolated from the whole world. One day a terrible accident befalls her she dies, only to be awake the next day. She feels different and suddenly realized she is not alone anymore. Horizon, an intergalactic force of order now resides within her and she is forced into a conflict of cosmic proportion again Maesltrom, a force of chaos. During the story she must no ...more
Monique
Dec 28, 2014 Monique rated it liked it
Recommends it for: not recommended
I found the third book to be an improvement on the second, but it still left me disappointed. It introduced a lot of interesting ideas, plot twists and characters but never seemed to do anything with them. The story is muddled and confused. It feels as though Tadano is making it up as he goes along. I'm also not sure why the author isn't capitalizing on Hikaru being possessed by two vastly different beings. There is such an opportunity for some really great psychological torment and/or character ...more
Rachael (The End of the Chapter)
review to come soon
Sean O'Hara
Jul 28, 2011 Sean O'Hara rated it really liked it
Having exhausted Clement's Needle, Tadano spins the tale out in a new direction. The stuff about evolution is absolutely silly, but as a throwback to Golden Age SF it works. I really like having Maelstrom in Hikaru's head -- he makes a much better foil for her than Horizon, and for that matter, Horizon is much more interesting now that he has Maelstrom to argue with.
Chris Andersen
Feb 10, 2012 Chris Andersen rated it liked it
This was the first volume that ended on a cliffhanger, and I felt it suffered for it (maybe my opinion will change when I read volume 4?). While I'm interested to see how the relationship between the two aliens will change now that they are both sharing one body (aw well as their relationship to their host), the sudden addition of a new antagonist felt a little inorganic. I know you need to keep the action going, but having this new guy pop up so suddenly felt forced.
Tab
I enjoyed the first 2, but this volume didn't work for me. The storyline and artwork got far too confusing. It was hard to figure out who was talking. The different speech bubbles helped some. However, when you have a lot of things going on in the artwork, slight bubble changes won't help.

I also think the fact that I am reading another parasitic manga simultaneously (Parasyte) is causing the 'meh' feel about Needles.
Shaun
Aug 07, 2011 Shaun rated it really liked it
This one continues in the tradition of greatness set by the previous two volumes. This is the stage in the story where Haruka is forced to act on her own to solve the escalating strange events going on around her, showing how her experiences so far have strengthened and changed her.
Oliver
Jan 05, 2013 Oliver rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This volume can't really stand on its own, but the whole series is so short that it ought to be read all at once anyway. We're clearly setting up for big things in the last volume here.
Elsa
Jan 19, 2011 Elsa rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-gn
Now that the two entities have suspended their fight, odd things start happening; new life forms emerge and the Moderator arrives to oversee the outcome. The art in this series is amazing.
Damon
Mar 11, 2011 Damon rated it liked it
Definitely goes in an unexpected direction, and some weird stuff happens. Overall not a lot of action, seems mainly like a setup for the finale.
Miriam
Apr 19, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it
Getting bored of the sameness of the way the horror mutations are drawn, but the story is still strong.
Sarah Lasota
Sarah Lasota marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Sean Fagan
Sean Fagan rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Droydicus Malojan
Droydicus Malojan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Hotaru Kara
Hotaru Kara marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Alison Tamko
Alison Tamko marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Beric
Beric marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Ethan Hemming
Ethan Hemming marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
Cthulu Yog-Sothoth
Cthulu Yog-Sothoth rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 2
  • King of Thorn, Vol. 3
  • BIOMEGA バイオメガ 1 (Biomega Vol. 1)
  • I am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 1 (I am a Hero Omnibus, #1)
  • Cromartie High School, Vol. 1
  • Azumanga Daioh: The Omnibus

7 Billion Needles (4 books)
  • 7 Billion Needles, Vol. 1