Temporary Insanity

Temporary Insanity

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A touching and hopeful look at the underworld of the office temp from hilarious author Leslie Carroll.

Meet Alice Finnegan: 30-something, single, and stuck in a cycle of horrific secretarial temp jobs. She's trying to fulfil her childhood ambitions of on-stage stardom while sharing an apartment with her 90-something grandmother, a feisty, funny, former Ziegfeld showgirl.

Alo...more
Published May 25th 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Temporary Insanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temporary Insanity

Synesthesia
This book was predictable, but entertaining and it satisfied my need for SOMETHING to read, so I reckon for that it gets 3 stars. But it's just so obvious though.

Another thing is why do books like this always have to have some woman who is bitchy and mean to the main character for no reason other than she's just there to do that?
And they always have to have a love interested that turns out to be a jerk. Then you have the small breasted short haired women. What is up with that? They are mean to t...more
Leslie
I wanted to really like this book because I think the author has a fun sense of humor and style. I'm not sure if the character was whiny or if I just got tired of the drama, or if the book took too long to actually DO anything. I will say that Grandma's character was fun... It seemed kind of like a summary of the last few years of someone's life rather than an actual story with a plot, though. Only the last couple of chapters had much of an arc. I was disappointed... but I finished it and at the...more
Holly
Jun 13, 2008 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has a temp job, or is trying to become an actor while having a survival job.
Recommended to Holly by: My friend Alanna
Shelves: true-life
Nicole Fraijo
I came across this book in a thrift store. I recommend it to anyone who has ever worked at a job that they hate while trying to pursue their dreams. the main character alice is someone who's very relatable and likable.
Kp89dc2
Mar 30, 2008 Kp89dc2 rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone with nothing else to read.
I had such high hopes for this book, but it turned out to be something else. Oh well. I was expecting a romance, instead I got a look into someone's life...and it was fictional. It wasn't a "bad" book, just not what I was expecting.
Glenn
I'd give this 3.5 stars. Quirky, with a mostly comical angle of a struggling actress in New York that takes temp jobs to survive, and the wacky bosses and people she works with.
Rebekkila
Mar 25, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Rita
Disappointingly predictable.
Lara
Lara added it
Aug 16, 2014
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Michele Bolay
Michele Bolay marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Aisyah Roslan
Aisyah Roslan marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Angel An An
Angel An An marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Laurel Benson
Laurel Benson marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Lauren Beatrice
Lauren Beatrice marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I used to tell people that I was born in Manhattan and raised in the Bronx; but the truth is that apart from the stellar education I received at the Fieldston School in Riverdale, much of who I am was shaped by my two grandmothers, who encouraged me to follow my bliss long before it became the sort of catchphrase you find on tee-shirts and new-age tchotchkes. My East Side grandmother took me to FA...more
More about Leslie Carroll...
Notorious Royal Marriages: A Juicy Journey Through Nine Centuries of Dynasty, Destiny, and Desire Royal Affairs: A Lusty Romp Through the Extramarital Adventures That Rocked the British Monarchy Royal Pains: A Rogues' Gallery of Brats, Brutes, and Bad Seeds Herself Play Dates