Start by marking “Temporary Insanity” as Want to Read:
Temporary Insanity

Temporary Insanity

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A touching and hopeful look at the underworld of the office temp from hilarious author Leslie Carroll.

Meet Alice Finnegan: 30-something, single, and stuck in a cycle of horrific secretarial temp jobs. She's trying to fulfil her childhood ambitions of on-stage stardom while sharing an apartment with her 90-something grandmother, a feisty, funny, former Ziegfeld showgirl.

Alo
Published May 25th 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Temporary Insanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temporary Insanity

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
This book was predictable, but entertaining and it satisfied my need for SOMETHING to read, so I reckon for that it gets 3 stars. But it's just so obvious though.

Another thing is why do books like this always have to have some woman who is bitchy and mean to the main character for no reason other than she's just there to do that?
And they always have to have a love interested that turns out to be a jerk. Then you have the small breasted short haired women. What is up with that? They are mean to t
Leslie
I wanted to really like this book because I think the author has a fun sense of humor and style. I'm not sure if the character was whiny or if I just got tired of the drama, or if the book took too long to actually DO anything. I will say that Grandma's character was fun... It seemed kind of like a summary of the last few years of someone's life rather than an actual story with a plot, though. Only the last couple of chapters had much of an arc. I was disappointed... but I finished it and at the ...more
Holly
Jun 13, 2008 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has a temp job, or is trying to become an actor while having a survival job.
Recommended to Holly by: My friend Alanna
Shelves: true-life
Nicole Fraijo
I came across this book in a thrift store. I recommend it to anyone who has ever worked at a job that they hate while trying to pursue their dreams. the main character alice is someone who's very relatable and likable.
Melissa
Chick lit--Actress Alice works as a temp, unlucky in love. Many touching and funny parts.
Kp89dc2
Mar 30, 2008 Kp89dc2 rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone with nothing else to read.
I had such high hopes for this book, but it turned out to be something else. Oh well. I was expecting a romance, instead I got a look into someone's life...and it was fictional. It wasn't a "bad" book, just not what I was expecting.
Glenn
I'd give this 3.5 stars. Quirky, with a mostly comical angle of a struggling actress in New York that takes temp jobs to survive, and the wacky bosses and people she works with.
Rebekkila
Mar 25, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Rita
Disappointingly predictable.
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Lura
Lura marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Rose
Rose added it
Nov 03, 2014
Kelly Hartwell
Kelly Hartwell marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Asmirda Rusli
Asmirda Rusli marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Lara
Lara added it
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I used to tell people that I was born in Manhattan and raised in the Bronx; but the truth is that apart from the stellar education I received at the Fieldston School in Riverdale, much of who I am was shaped by my two grandmothers, who encouraged me to follow my bliss long before it became the sort of catchphrase you find on tee-shirts and new-age tchotchkes. My East Side grandmother took me to FA ...more
More about Leslie Carroll...
Notorious Royal Marriages: A Juicy Journey Through Nine Centuries of Dynasty, Destiny, and Desire Royal Affairs: A Lusty Romp Through the Extramarital Adventures That Rocked the British Monarchy Royal Pains: A Rogues' Gallery of Brats, Brutes, and Bad Seeds Royal Romances: Titillating Tales of Passion and Power in the Palaces of Europe Play Dates