Start by marking “Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)” as Want to Read:
Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)

Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  48 reviews
While cleaning out the cluttered basement of Grace Chapel Inn, Jane Howard finds an old cookbook brimming with her mother's recipes and handwritten notes. Jane has always been hungry for details about her mother, Madeleine, who died while giving birth to Jane. Through the precious, fragile pages of the recipe book, Jane comes to discover the spirit of the mother she never ...more
Published October 15th 2006 by Guideposts Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Recipes & Wooden Spoons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recipes & Wooden Spoons

Michele
I'm relatively new to this series, the 1st book having been published in 2006 but I am so enjoying it. This is the 3rd book about 3 sisters who inherit their old family Victorian home when their father/pastor dies and they turn it into a Bed & Breakfast. This book focuses on the youngest sister, Jane, who is also a chef & suffering from a breakup with her husband. The mother of the girls died just after Jane was born and in this book, Jane is seeking any and all info she can gleam about ...more
Elaine
Lots of typos in this Kindle version. For example: An English couple is asked if they want a cup of tear or "It had been a real shock to visit the Smiths on I an and see a display..."

Hidden among the plentiful typos, a stranger is hidden among Grace Chapel Inn's rosebushes. He scoots off when Jane tries to approach him.

Jane is trying to discover how she fits in to serving in the kingdom of God. It's plain to her how her sisters Louise and Alice serve others. Jane though, has a knack for drawing
sandra sprenger
A great read. Characters you'll fall in love with.

read this book in 2 days. you fall into the story and become a part of it. wonderful characters and story line

would give the book a 5 rating except for the horrible proof reading errors throughout the whole book. it's a shame the publisher could not take some pride in what they put out. Baer should find a new publisher who can READ as well as spell!!!
Mom
Love what these girls get into.
They are trying to get the inn to start being prosperous. Jane is trying to think of ways to make more money. She finds cookbooks that were her mother's. She has wanted to know her mom. Her sisters and aunt seems to know some things and start telling her little tidbits of what their mom did.
Now they are saying Jane is a lot like their mom, Madeline.
Jane is so happy to be told that particular tidbit.
She wants to make the inn prosperous just like she did the restau
Lisa
I just recently found this series at the library. The books in the series are written by different authors, so the quality is inconsistent. But I like the characters and enjoyed this particular story.
Carol
Really 4 1/2 stars, it was a great book and a quick read. And it has some really great sounding recipes sprinkled in! It's a book about 3 sisters coming together to save their family home by turning it into a bed and breakfast. Jane is a professional chef, Louise is a muscian, and Alice is a nurse. Jane left Acorn Hill at 18 and has never looked back until he husband leaves her and and sisters need her and she's not sure about living in a small town again. The other 2 sisters have always lived i ...more
Connie
Another of few books that keep my interest. I really enjoyed the little recipes written in the chapters. I will read more of the series
Christina Welbourne
This was a nice change of pace from the books I usually read! It is what I would call a "cozy read". Everything ends well and all is happy in the protected little world of Acorn Hill. The characters were very real to me and each very different. I really liked the main character, Jane, and could relate to her to some degree. I would consider reading more by this author in the future. Good, quick read.
 Barb Bailey
Another of the Chapel Inn Series.
This book is more about the sister Jane the youngest of the 3 sisters.She is a chef and takes on the job of the cook for the inn.She desires to have a better understanding of who her Mother was and it helps alot when she finds her Mothers old Cookbook . Being artistic she is very different than her older 2 sisters ...who played a major part in her up bringing..... but still wants a better relationship with them . There are many recipes in the book .I love this se
Janie  R.
I enjoyed this book very much! One of the main characters in this book is my favorite, she is a very creative, artsy person. She is one to always need to find solutions for everything,and finally admits that faith and prayer are so necessary in life and make life so much easier. Her life is looking up,finally, and she is enjoying cooking the meals for the guests at the Grace Chapel Inn, and pursuing her other creative talents. Being that I am,into arts and crafts, I really enjoyed the details a ...more
Amie Firavich
Enjoyed this book. Wasn't a favorite of mine but was good. I kept wondering where the book was going. There was a few times I had a hard time putting it down.
Jodi
What a great book. Three sisters came together to start a bed and breakfast. One left as soon as she could many years ago and is struggling being back home and treated like a baby. She never knew her mother who died tried to deliver her at birth. SHe found a cookbook from her mother and set about making them and getting to know her mother thru silly comments on the recipes. I loved the recipes in the book as well. It was a Christian book about how God can do such amazing things that are beyond a ...more
Nancy
May 22, 2010 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Part of a series published by Guidepost, it chronicles the adventures of three sisters who turn their family home into a Bed & Breakfast after their father's death. Each book in the series delves into the life of one of the sisters and weaves it into the current visitors and small town life. In this book, Jane, the youngest, whose mother died at her birth, finds a cookbook of her mother's and is able to connect with her mom in a way she never has before. Includes a lot of recipes.
Michelle
This series (The Chapel Inn series) is published by Guideposts and written by different authors. I've been reading a couple of such series and it is always interesting to me how the different authors can introduce their own perspective but stay true to the series. Anyway, this book is told primarily from Jane's perspective and so we learn a lot more about Jane's history and what makes her tick.
Diane
This is the 3rd in set of Tales from Grace Chapel Inn. This to me is the best of the searies so far. The book is more about the sister Jane the youngest of the 3 sisters.She is a chef and takes on the job of the cook for the inn. She is also very artistic. There are many recipes in the book also.I love this Inn and the town and would visit there in a heart beat if it really existed.
Bonnie McHenry
Again, it was another wonderful visit back to Acorn Hill. It was interesting to see this book take a different turn and focus on just one of the sisters, Jane, and how she feels moving back to her childhood home. Each character is really beginning to develop and take on a life of their own. I can't wait to continue on with this series.
Bert Klimas
"Back Home Again," "Recipes & Wooden Spoons," and Hidden History" by Melody Carlson
I'd picked up these three titles by the same author based on a recommendation I'd read somewhere. I couldn't even get interested enough in the first one to try the other two. Even now I don't remember what they were about or what was supposed to interest me.
Madelaine
It was easy to start in on the middle of this series - I had no feeling that I didn't know what was going on. That said, being English, the English characters were badly drawn (No English Woman who has just arrived in the US says "visit with", for example). It was a bit sentimental but I don't regret reading it.
Francoise
a very soothing book full of wisdom and much to think about in my life.
Dawn Brown
Following right along in order, Recipes and Wooden Spoons is full of fun, laughter, and sadness. I love how the sisters, no matter what, find themselves in situations. But, they always seem to work together, and make things right. Love the series, so far, and can't wait to read more of them.
Lauren
How does a woman get to be an adult without looking into her mother's life and personality AT ALL? She was so obsessed with finding out about her mother, but she had never asked anyone as a teenager? It's like she just found out she had a mother at all!
Joanne
This was an OK read. The author left me with some good messages, although it never really engrossed me. I didn't know when I read it that it is one in a series, so the ending left me a little cold. I would like to read the next book.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Of all the Grace Chapel Inn books, so far this is my favorite. Jane finds her mothers cookbook and rediscovers a link to her mother through the cookbook. There are a dozen or so recipes interspersed throughout the book as well.
Martha Valasek
I enjoyed the soul searching that the main character portrayed in her story. There were interesting recipes with personal thoughts from the character's mother who passed away. I was really a "gentle read".
Sue Latham
Quote from book: "It did not always seem to really make sense, but it did not have to. God was in charge and it made sense to him" Quick read about lifes surprises and how good can come out of bad.
Becky Isom
The book was entertaining and has some really good recipes!! I must have written out at least 5 of them. I've tried two and loved them. So I can't beat that a book I can enjoy in more than one way!
Bev Purcell
Apr 12, 2009 Bev Purcell rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elisabeth Wosniak
Recommended to Bev by: I found it at Barnes & Noble
I loved the recipes in this book - it was tempting and inviting. They also including information on quilting and vintage clothing that made me want to visit a thrift shop. It was easy and delightful reading.
D. Hodges
I really enjoyed this book and the recipes that went along with the book helped to bring the story to life. It was almost like you were there with Jane as she learned about the mother that she never knew.
Terri
I am loving this series and i'm thrilled that there are many more to go. Its a great read for people who are drawn to relationships such as family and small towns.....i'm ready for the next book.
GrammyLinda Waldron
I picked this book up on vacation in a relatives home. I couldn't put it down and bought one when I returned, just finished and loved it. Now I will start on another Grace Chapel Inn book.
  • Hidden History (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #4)
  • Going to the Chapel (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #2)
  • The Price of Fame (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #14)
  • We Have This Moment (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #11)
  • A New Leaf: Cape Light #4 (Kinkade, Thomas)
  • Promises of Change  (Ladies of Covington, #8)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Emma's Gift (The Wortham Family Series, #2)
  • Fiesta Moon (Moonstruck #2)
  • Wildflower Brides
  • A Taste of Fame (Potluck Catering Club #2)
  • Who Is My Shelter?
aka Judy Kaye

Judy Baer was born and grew up on a farm on the prairies of North Dakota, USA. An only child, she spent most of her days with imaginary people-either those she read about or those she made up in her head. Her most ambitious conjuring did not succeed, however. She kept a clean stall with hay and oats for the horse she imagined would come but unfortunately, it never did. As an adult, ho
More about Judy Baer...

Tales from Grace Chapel Inn (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)
  • Going to the Chapel (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #2)
  • Hidden History (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #4)
  • Portraits of the Past (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #5)
  • Winter Wonders (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #6)
  • Home for the Holidays (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #7)
  • Slices of Life (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #8)
  • Midsummer Melody (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #9)
  • Something Old, Something New (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #10)
  • We Have This Moment (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #11)
The Whitney Chronicles Million Dollar Dilemma Norah's Ark The Baby Chronicles Sleeping Beauty (Fairy-Tale Series #2) (Larger Print Love Inspired #415)

“On the rock of Christ I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.” 0 likes