Start by marking “Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)” as Want to Read:
Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)

Bet Your Bottom Dollar (The Bottom Dollar Series #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  553 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Welcome to the Bottom Dollar Emporium of Cayboo Creek, South Carolina, where everything from coconut mallow cookies to Clabber Girl Baking Powder costs only a dollar, and coffee and gossip are free.

For Elizabeth, Mavis, and Attalee -- the Bottom Dollar Girls -- logging nine to five at the Bottom Dollar is not just work time, it's family time. So when news gets out that the
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bet Your Bottom Dollar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bet Your Bottom Dollar

Ronna
I got this book free from Firstreads. This is my honest review.

What a cute book! I was definitely in the mood for something lighthearted and this book, full of southern charm and wit, was just perfect to float my boat. Sisterhood, a bit of romance, mixed with some mystery, and huge belly laughs, these ladies of Cayboo Creek, South Caroline grew on me like white on rice. Ups, beware, reading this book might just change your speech patterns.

Ladies from 20's to 80's meet and work in The Bottom Dol
Jane Stewart
Pleasant story about nice people in the South, but not recommended.

Based on other reviewers, I was hoping for romantic comedy, but got neither. I didn't laugh or chuckle. I wasn't surprised or delighted. The relationship that developed did not draw me in enough emotionally to be able to categorize this as a romance novel. Some of the plot points concerned family secrets, which were somewhat predictable. The characters were not interesting enough.

Story brief: Smart, nice and humble girl Elizabeth
Cathy Daniel
What an unexpected delightful book! I've got to read the rest in the series . This book had me smiling and laughing out loud. There are serious moments and its not all fluff, but its such a feel good, over all book! The characters were so real and just precious. Another bonus is I'd be comfortable giving this book to my teenager to read! There's a little mystery and a little romance and a lot of family and friends. Truly a book with heart.
Deedee
Conflict: p. 51 “This is about huge companies coming here with their corporate backing and their big bank accounts and knocking aside the little guys.”
Gentle small town humor.

Some chapter headings:
“If you don’t like my driving, stay off the sidewalk.”
“Don’t give up. Moses was once a basket case.”
“Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.”
“Look at life through the windshield, not the rearview mirror.”

Laura Cushing
A fun sweet book about a group of ladies who work at a Bottom Dollar bargain store in a small southern town. Has a little romance and a little mystery, lots of friendship and laughs.

Going to read the other books in the series.
Rachel Jackson
I LOVED this book! It's hilarious but not over-the-top, and the characters are so fun. (The sequels are great too!)
Betty
Success

The first in this series and new author for me. I had little trouble getting into the story at first but characters started grow on me as they well developed especially Elizabeth. In Cayboo Creek, South Carolina a dollar is about to loose customers to supermarket. Elizabeth is the assistant manager she has plan to the the business. There are hints that there is mystery in Elizabeth's past might interfere with her love life. There is no sex or violence. I will read the next book A DOLLAR S
Linda Marie Marsh
The author has never claimed to have written the next great classic so i definitely do not understand why anyone would read this and not write a positive review. It's a fun read. It's a feel good, make you smile, wish you were there yourself type book. And yes, it takes place in the south.
The Bottom Dollar is just what it sounds like, a dollar store in a small homey town where everyone knows who you are. And as is happening all over the country right now, a big box store moves in and the future
Kathleen
***I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway***

I was a little slow on the uptake with this book because it felt like the story of saving the Bottom Dollar just wasn't that interesting - but, it turned out that was really just a peripheral story line. The real story was about family secrets and lineage and was really interesting. I believe the book description is a bit misleading.

Add to the story line the charming characters and great dialogue and it made for a very enjoyable read. I enjoyed t
V
I'm a Southerner- born and bred. I like sweet tea, fried chicken and front porches. I like reading books about The South- even quirky Southern towns on occasion. However, this book repulsed me! I couldn't even get halfway through it. The characters were insultingly simple and mind-numbingly boring. There were the typical Southern stereotypes, which I'm normally OK with, but this book "laid it on a little too thick"; it was overkill. For me, reading this book was like drinking a glass of lemonade ...more
Linda
Thank you Goodreads for selecting me to receive a copy of this book. I totally loved it. It was a laugh-out-loud story and reminded me of Mary Kay Andrews' books. The character of Attalee reminds me of Jill Shalvis' character Lucille in her Lucky Harbor series.

When a big-dollar Super Saver store has decided to build in Cayboo Creek, South Carolina, the employees of the Bottom Dollar Emporium are scared the new store will put them out of business. Owner Mavis is afraid she will have to move to So
Darlene
3.75
A humourous story of a southern small town.
Richard Bales
Simple little series, but so funny!
Debbie Krenzer
I absolutely LOVED this book. The characters were so real and likable and it totally kept me entertained. I especially liked the quotes at the beginning of each chapter. I am definitely hooked on this series and will definitely be looking to read the others as they come out.

It's a southern setting with southern people who are laid back and very well written characters. The story was very entertaining and I read this in one sitting. I just could not put it down!!
Andrea Stoeckel
( note: this is NOT the cover on my e-book)

What a nice book( hey, it's Henery Press) but the story, albeit a bit predictable if you watch Soap Operas, can be a bit hard to follow.

Elizabeth is a late 20-something whose hometown is very predictable.We open with the ending of an engagement, her job is in jeopardy, she figures she'll end up being a crazy cat lady workin' at the Dollar Store.

And then, it not only rains it pours. A "liftoff box store" is moving into Cayaboo Creek, a new beau pops up,
Nikki
Recently I found myself in our little local shopping mall, with an hour or more before my ride home would arrive and nothing to read (since the bookstore there closed last fall.) Fortunately there was still Big Lots, which I recalled usually has some books on a shelf near the greeting cards. Among all the cookbooks and self-help there were a very few novels, and I was fortunate to find this one, which whiled away the time quite nicely. It's set in a small town in South Carolina near the Georgia ...more
Dee Gurganus
What a fun story!!! The characters were characters. Everyone of them has a personality all their own and very Southern. The main story line of big time merchant coming to town running small businesses out is very common. It is a sad plait so many towns. But there are many other story lines within the story that it keeps you thinking and wondering where it will go next. Love abounds in friendship, family, well as sweethearts. In picking up this book, be ready to have a great time.
Victoria
I believe the reviews of this novel said it would appeal to fans of Fannie Flagg. As I read it, I felt that it was far from a Fannie Flagg or Lewis Grizzard for southern humor although the one-liners and country descriptions tried hard. But the further I got into the book, which is slight but fun, the more I genuinely liked the characters populating the "Crick." I expect to read more in the series when I need a pick-me-up.
Jane
What a quick, fun read! Karen Gillespie has a great sense of humor and her characters are spot on. I enjoyed the dialog loaded with southern expressions that I remember from childhood. i miss that colorful language. She includes lots of thinly veiled references to landmarks that Augusta natives will recognize. Don't know why I waited so long to start reading this series.
Cindy
This book had me laughing out loud

The outcome of this story was abit expected, but then came a surprise twist. The language and antics of the characters were very enjoyable. Elizabeth was so mature in so many situations, surprisingly so. I'd recommend this book for pure reading entertainment, you don't need to think too hard as you are reading.
Debbie
Bet Your Bottom Dollar is a fun and easy read. It is a wonderfully warm southern novel set in Cayboo Creek, a small town in Aiken County, SC just outside of Augusta, GA. With characters with names like Mavis, Attalee, Boomer, Taffy, and a dog named Maybelline, you know you are in for some old fashioned southern humor. It is filled with lots of southern phrases and hyperbole that made me laugh and smile. Along with all the humor is the warmth and connectedness that make a small community so desir ...more
Just - The romance reader
I'm ready to take a trip to Cayboo Creek now, if only it really existed! And, I wish the Bottom Dollar was a store that really did exist! The characters are a hoot and it sounds like such a great place to shop, especially after the renovations.

This was just such a fun book, but at the same time, the characters struggled with some issues that each of us can really relate to. The unexpected loss of MeeMaw was heartbreaking. I suffered right along with Elizabeth, and I loved right along with her w
Judy
A perfect beach book or a book to read while lying in the hammock in the back yard on a summer afternoon. The main character, Elizabeth Polk, works in the Bottom Dollar Emporium, a store in the small town of Cayboo Creek, South Carolina, where you can buy anything from a toilet brush to candy and holiday decorations. Cayboo Creek is an idealized small town located just outside Augusta, Georgia and true to form, a big box store discovers it and wants to completely change the economic landscape by ...more
Sandy Emmons
I absolutely loved this book! The whole story was just charming and I wanted to be reading it all of the time! It's a story set in the South where the main characters work in a dollar store that has a big new store coming to town. I highly recommend this book to anyone!
Jennifer Collins
Fun Read

I enjoyed the book and getting to know the Bottom Dollar Girls. Some of the story was unexpected. The characters were colorful and fun to read about.
Elizabeth
Loved this book. It has a wonderful story that will have you laughing out loud. I am looking forward to reading the other books in this series.
Leslie Whitmire
Very light-hearted. A fun, fast read that will make you laugh out loud.
Deborah Sigel
Really enjoyed this quick read. I'm starting the 2nd one right away.
Melissa Eisenmeier
$6 after tax at the Parkville Bookworm.
Funny, and a quick read.
Goodreads Librari...: Consolidate 3 different posting of same novel 2 17 Sep 20, 2014 02:39PM
  • Bedside Manners (The Breakup Doctor, #2)
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • From Scratch
  • Double Strike (Davis Way #3)
  • Swan Dive (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery #3)
  • With Vics You Get Eggroll (Madison Night Mystery #3)
  • Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • Lowcountry Boneyard (Liz Talbot Mystery, #3)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Quicksand (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #3)
  • MacDeath (An Ivy Meadows Mystery, #1)
  • Finding Sky (Nicki Valentine Mystery, #1)
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner)
National Bestselling novelist and a Midwestern girl who, after forty years in Georgia, is still trying to get the hang of being Southern.

Keep in touch with me at

More about Karin Gillespie...

The Bottom Dollar Series (3 books)
  • A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (Bottom Dollar Girls #2)
  • Dollar Daze: The Bottom Dollar Girls in Love (Bottom Dollar Girls #3)
A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (Bottom Dollar Girls #2) Dollar Daze: The Bottom Dollar Girls in Love (Bottom Dollar Girls #3) Girl Meets Class The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, But Could Have, and May Yet Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel, The: Stuff We Didn’t Actually Do, but Could Have, and May Yet

“Bacteria is the only culture some people have.” 8 likes