Start by marking “Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)” as Want to Read:
Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)

Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Welcome to the Bottom Dollar Emporium of Cayboo Creek, South Carolina, where everything from coconut mallow cookies to Clabber Girl Baking Powder costs only a dollar, and coffee and gossip are free.

For Elizabeth, Mavis, and Attalee -- the Bottom Dollar Girls -- logging nine to five at the Bottom Dollar is not just work time, it's family time. So when news gets out that the
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bet Your Bottom Dollar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bet Your Bottom Dollar

Ronna
I got this book free from Firstreads. This is my honest review.

What a cute book! I was definitely in the mood for something lighthearted and this book, full of southern charm and wit, was just perfect to float my boat. Sisterhood, a bit of romance, mixed with some mystery, and huge belly laughs, these ladies of Cayboo Creek, South Caroline grew on me like white on rice. Ups, beware, reading this book might just change your speech patterns.

Ladies from 20's to 80's meet and work in The Bottom Dol
Deedee
Conflict: p. 51 “This is about huge companies coming here with their corporate backing and their big bank accounts and knocking aside the little guys.”
Gentle small town humor.

Some chapter headings:
“If you don’t like my driving, stay off the sidewalk.”
“Don’t give up. Moses was once a basket case.”
“Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.”
“Look at life through the windshield, not the rearview mirror.”

Kathleen
***I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway***

I was a little slow on the uptake with this book because it felt like the story of saving the Bottom Dollar just wasn't that interesting - but, it turned out that was really just a peripheral story line. The real story was about family secrets and lineage and was really interesting. I believe the book description is a bit misleading.

Add to the story line the charming characters and great dialogue and it made for a very enjoyable read. I enjoyed t
Linda Marie Marsh
The author has never claimed to have written the next great classic so i definitely do not understand why anyone would read this and not write a positive review. It's a fun read. It's a feel good, make you smile, wish you were there yourself type book. And yes, it takes place in the south.
The Bottom Dollar is just what it sounds like, a dollar store in a small homey town where everyone knows who you are. And as is happening all over the country right now, a big box store moves in and the future
Nikki
Recently I found myself in our little local shopping mall, with an hour or more before my ride home would arrive and nothing to read (since the bookstore there closed last fall.) Fortunately there was still Big Lots, which I recalled usually has some books on a shelf near the greeting cards. Among all the cookbooks and self-help there were a very few novels, and I was fortunate to find this one, which whiled away the time quite nicely. It's set in a small town in South Carolina near the Georgia ...more
Debbie Krenzer
I absolutely LOVED this book. The characters were so real and likable and it totally kept me entertained. I especially liked the quotes at the beginning of each chapter. I am definitely hooked on this series and will definitely be looking to read the others as they come out.

It's a southern setting with southern people who are laid back and very well written characters. The story was very entertaining and I read this in one sitting. I just could not put it down!!
Jane Stewart
Pleasant story about nice people in the South, but not recommended.

Based on other reviewers, I was hoping for romantic comedy, but got neither. I didn't laugh or chuckle. I wasn't surprised or delighted. The relationship that developed did not draw me in enough emotionally to be able to categorize this as a romance novel. Some of the plot points concerned family secrets, which were somewhat predictable. The characters were not interesting enough.

Story brief: Smart, nice and humble girl Elizabeth
Debbie
Bet Your Bottom Dollar is a fun and easy read. It is a wonderfully warm southern novel set in Cayboo Creek, a small town in Aiken County, SC just outside of Augusta, GA. With characters with names like Mavis, Attalee, Boomer, Taffy, and a dog named Maybelline, you know you are in for some old fashioned southern humor. It is filled with lots of southern phrases and hyperbole that made me laugh and smile. Along with all the humor is the warmth and connectedness that make a small community so desir ...more
Just - The romance reader
I'm ready to take a trip to Cayboo Creek now, if only it really existed! And, I wish the Bottom Dollar was a store that really did exist! The characters are a hoot and it sounds like such a great place to shop, especially after the renovations.

This was just such a fun book, but at the same time, the characters struggled with some issues that each of us can really relate to. The unexpected loss of MeeMaw was heartbreaking. I suffered right along with Elizabeth, and I loved right along with her w
Judy
A perfect beach book or a book to read while lying in the hammock in the back yard on a summer afternoon. The main character, Elizabeth Polk, works in the Bottom Dollar Emporium, a store in the small town of Cayboo Creek, South Carolina, where you can buy anything from a toilet brush to candy and holiday decorations. Cayboo Creek is an idealized small town located just outside Augusta, Georgia and true to form, a big box store discovers it and wants to completely change the economic landscape by ...more
Elizabeth
Loved this book. It has a wonderful story that will have you laughing out loud. I am looking forward to reading the other books in this series.
Rachel Jackson
I LOVED this book! It's hilarious but not over-the-top, and the characters are so fun. (The sequels are great too!)
Melissa Eisenmeier
$6 after tax at the Parkville Bookworm.
Funny, and a quick read.
Jessica
A very funny warm read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and even opted to finish it rather than walk the dogs. I know there are more in the series so rather look forwards to the quirky Georgia characters.

The quotes were great at the beginning of each chapter:

1. Why is there always so much month left at the end of the money?
2. Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.
3. Look at life through the windshield, not the rearview mirror.

**No wonder I liked it, it is the same author as The Sweet P
V
I'm a Southerner- born and bred. I like sweet tea, fried chicken and front porches. I like reading books about The South- even quirky Southern towns on occasion. However, this book repulsed me! I couldn't even get halfway through it. The characters were insultingly simple and mind-numbingly boring. There were the typical Southern stereotypes, which I'm normally OK with, but this book "laid it on a little too thick"; it was overkill. For me, reading this book was like drinking a glass of lemonade ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A perfect book for me today! I dragged a
lawn chair under a sycamore tree and enjoyed a big glass of cold iced
tea while I read all about Elizabeth Polk, manager of the Bottom
Dollar Emporium. Elizabeth's little Southern town is facing the worst
crisis in recent memory; a national chain, the Super Saver Dollar
Store, is headed into Cayboo Creek, and the town is
all, "cattywampus". The plot seems to dribble away at the end, but
I'd have enjoyed it just for the fresh Southern similes.
Elaine
Nothing deep here. Three woman make their livelihood working at Mavis' dollar store when a chain dollar store threatens to open up locally. They need to come up with a plan to keep their customers, believing that some will remain loyal.

I have too many books to continue reading this one. I find it utterly without interest. I put it down for about a week and picked it up again today for the first time. Got to page 90 - Sorry can't do it. Can't read it.
Kathie H
Apr 25, 2010 Kathie H rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults on up
Truly in the cozy mysteries genre. My first from this author (& first in the series). A fun read. I'll read the next one too.

Reader Carrington MacDuffie (who also reads the Hot Flash Club books) was quite good in this performance. But she needs to know that "Toots" is not pronounced as rhyming with "boots." It rhymes with "foots" (if there were such a word!). She also was guilty of "over-Southerning" a bit.
Deborah Bobo
Bet Your Bottom Dollar: A Bottom Dollar Girls Novel is full of quirky, southern characters. Set in fictional town of Cayboo Creed, South Carolina, this group of southern ladies will keep you laughing. From Elizabeth, newly broken up with her fiancé, to Attalee, an octogenarian who tells it like it is, there is something for everyone. I’ll definitely read more books in this series.
Aubri
This was a great read! I finished it pretty quickly, and I loved the characters. I had a hard time with Gracie Tobias... I kept picturing her as Angela Petrelli (from Heroes) in my mind! I may not have been too far off ;-)

Pick it up, read it, enjoy it and share it with your girlfriends!
Cindy
A very easy read, not much substance. It's the first book in a series of three, but I don't think I'll pick up the other two yet.

It did get a little better at the end and it did have some twists. That's why I gave it a 3 instead of a 2.
I didn't expect much from this book, but I was suprisingly engaged. The characters are colorful, and the atmosphere--a small Southern town--is picturesqe. Nothing learned, really, but I enjoyed it, and I'll probably look up the rest of the series.
Suzanne
Apr 20, 2010 Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzanne by: Emily
Shelves: chick-lit
Ha! Another book that I remembered reading quite some time ago, remembered the characters and the plot, but couldn't remember the title!

I didn't realize this book was part of a series - I'll have to check out some more.
Kitty Tomlinson
Elizabeth, Mavis and Attalee await the opening of a new dollar store that will surely put them out of business. Elizabeth learns new things about her parentage and finds true love.
RosieL.
Story was okay but the romance was boring. The story was a little too sappy for me. If it was supposed to be funny it wasn't. The way every thing wrapped up in the end was unrealistic.
Pam
An enjoyable listen, it's always fun to listen to a new accent & a southern drawl was just what I needed.

A sweet, light hearted story with southern charm. Fun & happy story.
Bree
A fun cast of characters in the style of Fannie Flagg kept this book interesting and entertaining, with a little too much suspension of disbelief required.
Alisa
Cute. Some of the situations (ok, a lot) were kind of Southern redneck for lack of a better word. But the characters were likeable and made me smile.
Carolyn
A fun easy read novel with just the right mixture of comedy, drama and romance to make a great story line. Gillespie nailed the wide range of Southern people!
Sally
The book was amusing, but very predictable. Maybe because the author is a special ed teacher, she writes for an audience she knows.
Goodreads Librari...: Consolidate 3 different posting of same novel 2 17 Sep 20, 2014 02:39PM
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Dreaming in Technicolor
  • Blame It on Paris
  • The Red Hat Club
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society
  • On the Divinity of Second Chances
  • The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes
  • She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana
  • The Hot Flash Club
  • World of Pies
  • Emeralds Included (Jana Bibi Adventures #3)
  • How Dolly Parton Saved My Life: A Novel of the Jelly Jar Sisterhood
  • Feeding the Hungry Ghost: Life, Faith, and What to Eat for Dinner � A Satisfying Diet for Unsatisfying Times
  • White Trash Cooking
  • The Breakup Doctor
National Bestselling novelist and a Midwestern girl who, after forty years in Georgia, is still trying to get the hang of being Southern.

Keep in touch with me at

More about Karin Gillespie...
A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (Bottom Dollar Girls #2) Dollar Daze: The Bottom Dollar Girls in Love (Bottom Dollar Girls #3) The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, But Could Have, and May Yet

“Bacteria is the only culture some people have.” 7 likes