Start by marking “Closer Than Blood (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark Series, Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Closer Than Blood (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark Series, Book 2)

Closer Than Blood (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark #2)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  844 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
A "New York Times"-bestselling author skillfully combines superb psychological dimensions, authentic law-enforcement details, and a richly atmospheric sense of danger to make this thriller his most compelling page-turner yet.

The first time was easy. No one ever suspected the victim had been murdered. The crime long buried, the dark passions guiding the killer's hand are s
Published April 1st 2011 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Closer Than Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Closer Than Blood

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingFor Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) by Shane K.P. O'Neill'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingPet Sematary by Stephen King
Scariest Books Ever Written
103rd out of 134 books — 217 voters
Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. WatsonLove You More by Lisa GardnerDoing Max Vinyl by Frederick Lee BrookeThe Fifth Witness by Michael ConnellyFallen by Karin Slaughter
Best Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Novels Of 2011
255th out of 256 books — 1,119 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivian
The reader is re-united with Detective Kendall Stark. She isn't working a current case at the beginning of this story but is simply involved in the periphery. Why? Kendall feels that an evil and devious high school classmate, Tori, is more involved than just being the innocent bystander in her husband's death. Tori's twin sister, Lainie is the proverbial good sister and she also feels that there is more to this story than meets the eye. Is this another instance of Tori getting away with murder.. ...more
Andrea
Jul 13, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
I couldn't put it down. Maybe it was just because I got a Nook for my B-day and wanted to get on it, but it WAS a very good read. I love his writing style and the shorter chapters. It makes me read a book faster. It was a little confusing at first, with all the characters, and I wish I'd had the time to read the first 100 pages at one sitting. I'll definitely read more Olsen.
Barbara Barth
Jul 17, 2011 Barbara Barth rated it really liked it
Mirror image twins, Tori and Lainie. Cold hearted Tori turns serial killer at 17 who's seemingly too clever to get caught. Fifteen years after Tori's first "kill" the girlfriend of the first victim and childhood friend of the twins, police detective Kendall Stark, becomes involved with the most current murder case. Always suspicious of her boyfriend's death, the detective starts uncovering other suspicious deaths in Tori's past. The trick is proving what was so cleverly covered up was actually m ...more
Naomi
Jul 07, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it
What (dramatic pause) AN AWESOME BOOK!!!! I didn't think Gregg Olsen could get more twisted than in his book Victim Six, yet he has in this book! THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!! This book has a pretty graphic and mind blowing twists and overall story line. If one does not like ummmmm, "sexual" twistedness, you will be deeply, deeply offended by this book and thus mark it down! And here is another heads up to this type of reader..if you don't like these story lines, I would not read Gre ...more
Susan Walters
Jun 04, 2015 Susan Walters rated it really liked it
Good read. Really evil bad girl. Yikes! This is my new favorite author for suspense.
Nadine
Apr 06, 2016 Nadine rated it really liked it
GOOD MURDER MYSTERY HAVEN'T READ THIS AUTHOR BEFORE
Ben
Oct 17, 2015 Ben rated it it was ok
Twins. Mirror image twins. One parts her hair on the right, the othe on the left. One has a mole on the right lip, the other on the left lip. One is a sociopath, murderer and a narcissist while the other is a warm and caring person.
That sounds like an intriguing premise for a thriller, does it not? Maybe in the hands of oa more accomplished writer it may have been, but I found the book to be like a recipe for hobo stew: throw everything you have in the pot, bring it to a boil and see what comes
Brick ONeil
Jan 20, 2015 Brick ONeil rated it it was amazing
It's true that Blood is thicker than Water but it's also true that you hurt the ones you love most. Both are good sayings for "Closer than Blood".

In this story, Gregg Olsen paints a picture of the epitome of a love/hate relationship between twins Tori and Kendall, one a little prettier than the other, one a bit more aggressive and assertive than the other. Maybe a little bit psychotic. One car accident as teens and a slip of the tongue pushes one over the edge. As families are wont, they lost to
Elizabeth Horton-Newton
Oct 29, 2015 Elizabeth Horton-Newton rated it it was amazing
There’s no denying that Gregg Olsen is one of my favorite writers. He has a way with mysteries and thrillers that grabs my attention and firmly holds it throughout his books. Closer Than Blood is no exception. In fact this book has quickly risen to the top of my favorite Olsen books.
Olsen lays the plot effectively, teasing the reader with clues from the very beginning. Using twins in a thriller is not uncommon but Olsen has taken the idea down new roads. Tori and Lainie are twins on the outside
Marianne Stehr
Apr 24, 2011 Marianne Stehr rated it really liked it
A fast paced, read in one day thriller. this one is written from a perspective I am not normally pleased with, the killer being revealed early on and the "catch" of the book is catching the killer, but in this one it was done very well and I found myself reading faster and faster as I went on. Another well done work of fiction by one of my favorite authors!
Dawn
Jul 21, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it
This was so good. Had a really good villan this time. I always end up liking his books, yet I always pass them up at the library if I've got other choices. It's almost like I forget I like his writing until the next time the pickings are slim and I grab one of his books.
Chris
Nov 25, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
First for this author and I finished the book and enjoyed it. What is it like to be twin can you get along with each. Do you know when the other is hurt or happy. Mr. Olsen weaves a tale about twins that are identical. Tori will do anything to have money even if it means killing to get what she wants. Lainie has a guilt complex and tries to do good by everyone. Can these twins get along. The book opens up with a car accident that is stumbled upon by a tweaker move ahead 15-20 years and a high sc ...more
Milissa
Dec 14, 2014 Milissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

This is my first time reading this author's books. This had a great plot. Great character development. There was a good plot twist. I plan to read more of this author's books.
Diane
May 15, 2011 Diane rated it liked it
This is the first book I have read by this author. It was an easy read and that was what I was looking for at the time. A bit predictable but overall a good book. I would read other books by Mr. Olsen.
Shannon Evans
Apr 12, 2011 Shannon Evans rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome page turner of a book! I enjoyed this book so much that I immediately handed it over upon finishing to my husband and said, "You gotta read this!" A black widow who is evil beyond evil!
Rick
Apr 21, 2011 Rick rated it really liked it
Another winning fiction entry from true-crime author Olsen. I've read all of his novels and each is better than the last...this one is superb story-telling.
Jan 23, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will keep you guessing the whole way through. From the first accident to the last, it got better and better.
Melissa
Mar 29, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
great book didnot see the end coming can not wait for his next book to come highly recommend this book
kozettekaysmith
Apr 14, 2015 kozettekaysmith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, Great Thriller Five Star

This book has it all. I usually don't like male Authors but this guy can write. I could not put this book down for long, loved the character's and the journey he takes you on. Gregg can relate to both men and women when he tells a story. The book is long but never boring you feel and visualize every sentence. The character's are true to life and you will love and hate them. I recommend this book to all who love to read. I look forward to reading more of Greg Olsen.
k
Feb 22, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Man, I just really enjoy a Gregg Olsen tale. This being the fourth book I have read of his, he did not disappoint me. What I liked best about this one was the return of Detective Kendall Stark and forensic pathologist Birdy Waterman. (See his book Victim Six). I noticed a few errors, and had most of the "mystery" figured out but was so caught up in the story and characters it didn't matter, still a five star read in my opinion.

The read jumps around in time, from 15 years prior to present day, g
Sandie
Like Joe McGinnis and Ann Rule, Gregg Olsen has written a number of true crime dramas whose real life protagonists are almost stranger than the characters created for fictional works. Some of Olsen’s stories, both real and imagined, are suspenseful thrillers that grab you from page one and hold you transfixed until the last page while others are just so-so. CLOSER THAN BLOOD falls into the latter category. It’s not so much the fact that the basic storyline is nothing new – good twin vs. bad twin ...more
paige sisserman
Oct 22, 2015 paige sisserman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another winner

I've read 6 of gregg Olson's books, and they're all excellent. the characters are fleshed out with a minimum of words. Olsen just doesn't waste your time getting his ideas across. I get bored easily when unnecessary lines are used just to fill out the story. Gregg Olsen apparently is talented enough so that he just gives you all the fun, and none of the down time.. I highly recommend this, and all his works.
Alesha Leveritt
Nov 14, 2014 Alesha Leveritt rated it did not like it
Ugh............... Words fail me, so I will quote the book:

"You live by guilt the way some people live by Diet Coke."

This isn't quite as bad as Allende's Ripper, but it's close. Plot holes similar to pot holes in Jackson, Ms...in other words, they are everywhere. Mix in the completely one dimensional characters & sophomoric writing & you get a bad recipe from an interesting premise.

Save yourself. Move past this book.
Cactuskid
Sep 01, 2015 Cactuskid rated it really liked it
Good story relating to identical twin girls and how different they can be personality wise. Lots of different angles and I didn't see the ending coming as to one particular person. There is a crime but then it ties to another crime that happened years ago, and still more crimes that are finally linked together.
David Charrier
Jun 13, 2015 David Charrier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twins!!!

I enjoyed the flow of the book. It is one star short of 5 because about mid-way through, I had it mostly figured out. It seemed to have a few more characters than necessary. But it was easy to read!
Lisa
May 04, 2015 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too pat

Too pat & predictable; the characters are broad strokes & not at all believable. Too much comes together. The dialogue (both inner and verbal) reads falsely. The story is broadly telegraphed.
Shane
Not the best book I've ever read. Much of the "mystery" was clear to see early in the story, almost making the finish a chore. Very little character development - I don't feel like I know anyone from the story. Also, too many red herrings (or too much scatter by the author). It is one thing to lead the reader astray and then drag them back in near the end - but some parts of this book were just plain misleading, making me wonder if maybe the book had been partially re-written.

I hate to say it, b
Theresa
Feb 12, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder story at its best

Great book with so many twists and turns. Right up to the last page it keeps you in suspense. I have loved every book I have read by this author.
Amy
Jun 15, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
This book was just as good as I had hoped for, the writing style is similar to tami hoge & Allison Brennan. I can't wait to find another one of his books. This one was one of a series & I really liked the character.
Luann
Mar 10, 2016 Luann rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, crime
The story of an evil twin hell-bent on exacting revenge on all those who have “wronged” her in her life – including her twin sister. At first I wasn’t sure who her mystery lover was although I had my suspicions. When he is revealed it’s not clear how they met and how long they had been plotting together. The back and forth between past and present were not always clear as a chapter would start in the past but then quickly come back to present. None of the characters were especially likeable and ...more
  • Make Them Cry
  • Here She Lies
  • The Screaming Room
  • County Line
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • 2 in the Hat
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Death Trap
  • The Fall
  • Don't Be Afraid
  • The Murder Artist: A Thriller
  • Is He Dead?
  • The Sex Slave Murders: The Horrifying True Story of America's First Husband-and-Wife Serial Killers
  • Cold Storage
  • Evil Eyes
  • Frozen (Detective Ellie MacIntosh #1)
Throughout his career, Gregg Olsen has demonstrated an ability to create a detailed narrative that offers readers fascinating insights into the lives of people caught in extraordinary circumstances.

A New York Times bestselling author, Olsen has written seven nonfiction books, three novels, and contributed a short story to a collection edited by Lee Child.

The award-winning author has been a guest o
More about Gregg Olsen...