Start by marking “Food from Many Greek Kitchens” as Want to Read:
Food from Many Greek Kitchens

Food from Many Greek Kitchens

Who better than Greek-Cypriot Tessa to take you on a colourful journey into the Greek kitchens of her friends and family, cataloguing the traditional foods for fasting, festivals and feast days in her own enchanting way.
Published October 1st 2010 by Murdoch

To ask other readers questions about Food from Many Greek Kitchens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food from Many Greek Kitchens

Dee
The first thing that struck me about this book was all the wonderful pictures of both the food and of Greece and traditional Greek families. Each recipe starts with information about it and how it fits into Greek society and life which again I really liked but unfortunately the font setting used made reading this extremely hard work and in the end I gave up reading those sections which was such a shame.

I love traditional Greek food and was eagerly searching for a really good cookery book, but t
Jen Rothmeyer
Oct 11, 2011 Jen Rothmeyer rated it it was amazing
More than a month ago I received this cookbook to review. I was very excited prior to receiving it and I was even more excited once opening it. The pages are full of brilliantly colored photos, Greek traditions and lore, and wonderful recipes. The introduction covers the Greek alphabet and some lore, then the cookbook pops right into the contents and a short glossary before the recipes begin.

The layout of the cookbook is a little different from others I’ve used with the ingredients listed in a c
Hirondelle
Oct 06, 2010 Hirondelle rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: to no one with normal eyes. If you got x-ray vision you might be OK, but only then
Shelves: food
The two stars given are solely given to book designers who did a wonderful job in some parts, but then sabotaged the whole idea of what a BOOK is supposed to be using unreadable font type. The book looks gorgeous, I love the photography and the idea! But the book text is printed out in LIGHT sea-green quirky font. Its very hard to read against the white background. How can any publisher do such a mistake?

I am really sorry, the book is probably awesome. It looks to be when I strain my eyes and tr
Katie
Jul 15, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
I love greek food, so I was really looking forward to reviewing this book on greek cooking.

The photos are nice, evocative of old travel photos, but gave the book a bit of a dated feeling.

The recipes themselves were good and basic - if you've never made Greek food or had Greek food before, then this would be a great book to start you off. I wasn't really inspired to make anything - which is what I really look for in a book.

Until I reached the desserts that is. The desserts really look fantasti
Christine Edison
I love cookbooks like this, especially in the middle of winter. Author Tessa Kiros not only provides interesting recipes, but she gives the background for each dish and gorgeous pictures for each recipe, as well as plenty of pictures of Greek life. It's like an armchair trip to Greece witn an expert guide at your side. I'm tempted to try some of the recipes -- they don't use a lot of unusual ingredients, and the detailed instructions help you through each step. (I do wish Kiros had included more ...more
Deb
May 27, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
A truly beautiful book full of delicious-sounding (and looking) ;-) recipes for Greek food. Tessa Kiros creates the most beautiful cookbooks and this is no exception. You can see my review and pictures and the recipe for Revithada (Baked Chickpeas) here:

Jenne Kopalek
Jan 26, 2011 Jenne Kopalek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
This is not a cookbook, it is a cooking journey. With gorgeous landscape pictures and information about the culture of the recipes, I felt like I was in Greece learning to cook. The baklava was absolutely stunning and I can not wait to try it again! Simple recipes that are authentic and memorizing. Put this one on the coffee table and your guests will think they just vacationed in Greece!
Kathy
Mar 18, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
Food From Many Greek Kitchens is filled with beautiful photographs but I found that the recipes were very authentic but not really to my taste. I think that they were just a little too exotic for my tastes. I do believe though that this book would be a nice souvenir of a trip to Greece. The photos and recipes would bring back memories of a beautiful place.
Joy
Jun 03, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
This arrived today from Amazon, 3 days before the official release date. I am SO incredibly excited!! I fell in love with Kiros' "Falling Cloudberries" and cannot begin to contain my fangirly joy over this new, entirely Greek cookbook!!
Mila
Apr 02, 2012 Mila rated it liked it
This book is not just about nice food recipes, it's about nice pictures of food, people and local culture in general as well...There is a recipe of Easter bread too...I just need to find time to try some of those delicious recipes, that's all...
Ms_prue
Sep 24, 2015 Ms_prue rated it really liked it
Shelves: recipe-books-ffr
As other reviewers have noted, the typesetting on the Australian edition is just awful (body text in all italics? Really?) and makes it hard to read and therefore hard to follow the recipes. Such a shame because the production values in this book are otherwise out of this world.
Claire
Mar 20, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
Reads like a family cookbook. Lots of classic recipes and regional specialties. Beautiful photos incite me to get to the store for some of the fish and oils pictured and fire up the grill. Or better yet, cash in those miles and find a Greek village restaurant.
Anula
Mar 11, 2014 Anula rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Stunning photos! Recipes with some stories about Greek culture and customs, mostly surrounding food in Greece :) You'll find all the recipes for traditional dishes and sweets as well as those less popular ones, more family ones.
Heather
Jun 26, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
See my full review of this gorgeous, delicious book here: http://www.girlichef.com/2011/06/cook...
Kaarin Cotterill
Apr 17, 2013 Kaarin Cotterill rated it liked it
A bright, beautiful journey into Greek cuisine & culture. Certainly a great starter for anyone interested in trying their hand at Hellenic dishes.
Thanuja Liyanarachchi
Apr 30, 2013 Thanuja Liyanarachchi rated it really liked it
She's soon becoming one of my cookbook authors. Made the orange semolina cake. I was quite skeptical because it said to cook oranges but it was perfect.
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Sascha
Sascha rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2013
Andrew Norman
Andrew Norman rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Diana Z
Diana Z rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2013
laila fernando
laila fernando rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
Chely
Chely rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2011
Fiona Dimas-Herd
Fiona Dimas-Herd rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Sarah Robinson
Sarah Robinson rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Tiziana
Tiziana rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Penny Fordham
Penny Fordham rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Saana Baker
Saana Baker rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
  • One Pan, Two Plates: More Than 70 Complete Weeknight Meals for Two
  • Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantry
  • Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen
  • Plenty
  • Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey: 150 New Recipes Evoking the Flavours of the Far East
  • A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories