Start by marking “Corked by Cabernet (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Corked by Cabernet (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #5)

Corked by Cabernet (A Wine Lover's Mystery #5)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Nikki Sands, manager of the Malveaux Estates in Napa Valley?and girlfriend of the owner?is blissfully happy. Until a guru's devotee is killed on the famous Napa Valley Wine train and ruins her peace of mind.
Published February 3rd 2009 by Berkley (first published January 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Corked by Cabernet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corked by Cabernet

Leya
In the fifth installement of the series, we find Nikki organizing a retreat for guru Sansibaba and his followers - S.E.E. (Source of Enlightened Elite) the newest pet project of Simon and Marco. Derek is out of town for business. The first event Nikki finds the body of one of the members of S.E.E.. Detective Yummy, excuse, Robinson asks Nikki to keep her ears open, basically he asks for her help.

The book has the usual fast pace that I expect for a Michele Scott book. There's also the comic relie
Roseann
Malveaux Estates manager Nikki Sands is caught up in murder...again. This time self-help guru Alan Sansi and his Source of Enlightened Elite (SEE) are having a retreat at the winery when one of his associates is found corked (literally) by some of Nikki's wine. With her boyfriend (and winery owner) Derek gone, Nikki has to work this one alone (albeit with some help from sexy detective Jonah Robinson). When another guest is found murdered in the same style, it's evident that someone staying at th ...more
WifeMomKnitter
I was chosen to receive this book to review on Goodreads.com.

This was my first foray into Michele Scott's "Wine Lover's Mystery" series and I was not disappointed.

The novel takes place at the Malveaux Estate in Napa Valley. The main character, Nikki Sands, is the spunky manager of the vineyard's hotel and spa who, apparently, always seems to attract trouble. A new-age guru and his followers check into the hotel for a retreat and two of the members end up getting murder with a cork shoved in thei
Lanelibrarylady
Latest in the series...More of the same from author Scott...cute and cheeky Nikki is back in Napa and must play hostess to a New Age group that Simon and Marco have joined. Derek is stranded in New York, leaving Nikki to manage the winery on her own. On the first evening, one of the guests is found murdered, with a cork placed in his mouth. To make matters worse, his mistress is the next victim. In this installment, Nikki plays hostess, junior detective (this time WITH local police consent)and m ...more
Tammy
It was a fun diversion - easy to read, good distraction. I'm glad the romance part has finally been worked out. I'd like Nikki to figure out who did it - and have them aprehended - before that person tries to kill her at least once in the series. I didn't get the same satisfaction from reading this as I did the others in the series -- not sure if this was my mood, or reading on my ebook (although so far I am loving the ebook), or if maybe this was just not my favorite story.
Michelle
This was my first reading of a book from the Wine Lover's Mystery series and I really liked it. I thought the writing was well done. I especially liked the characters. Often when I read a series I get attached to the characters and look forward to the next book so I can see how they're doing. I could definitely see myself feeling that way about these guys, especially Simon and Marcus. I will be reading the series from the beginning.
Kwoomac
Fairly predictable mystery which takes place at a vineyard. In addition to the story, the author shares recipes and wine pairings. The author steps out of the story and speaks directly to the reader when talking about the recipes. It's disconcerting; they're not at the end of the book but interspersed in the story, so all of a sudden, the story's on hold while the author talks about her recipe. Thrift store purchase so I got my money's worth.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was my favorite of the entire series. I loved the locations, the characters and the recipes/wine pairings. You are introduced to the killer early on but it doesn't quite tie in until the ending.

The main characters give you satisfaction in that you have past issues resolved and yet you know there are more to come.

I hope this series continues and we have many more years with Nikki and company.

Michele Scott is a fine writer.
I love Michele Scott's Wine Country Mysteries for a quick Sunday read. Though her previous book, A Vintage Murder, was a letdown I've sort of grown fond of the characters and decided to go on and read Corked By Cabernet and she is back in good form. This series is printed as paperback originals so go ahead and indulge your lighter side. Recipes and wine pairings included!
Kate
This book was good but maybe not as exciting as some of the others in the series. The guru Sansibaba and his "enlightened followers" come to the winery for a retreat that Nikki is in charge of. When they are on a trip on the wine train, one of the followers is found dead. The ending made me look forward to the next book in the series, which I hope is a little more exciting.
Peggy Lo
Short and sweet with some doable recipes. It's exactly what it looks like, a short mystery that's a fun fluffy read. The book spent a lot more time onthe main characters and her friends and their relationships (whether the gay couple should adopt, whether her relationship with her boyfriend will grow stronger after they move in together) rather than the mystery.
Karen
This series is technically good but still falls a bit flat for some of the major characters - Simon and Marco are well done, some of the others are still not there. Some opportunities were missed to make the mystery more robust and involved and I felt there was more emphasis on food than wine for a wine series.
Michelle
I haven't read any of the previous books in this series, but now I plan to. It was a fun, light read with a good mystery. I associated with Nikki b/c I can be quite nosey! I would like to learn more about her relationship with Derek (so, I will start at the beginning), and I loved the ending!
VJ
This book was okay. It didn't hold my interest as much as other books. There was a return to PG-13 bordering on R rated language in this one as well as the last. I'm really not a fan of the F-bomb. I can understand in a gritty police procedural but not a cozy mystery. It's uncalled for.
Melissa
Started 12-06-10
Finished 12-14-10

This is the first book I've read by this author and I found it simple in style and had some humorous spots. I will look for others in this series as well as her 'horsy' set offerings and give her another chance.

Beverly
This one wasn't quite as good as the others. But I like the characters and will probably keep reading to see what happens to them.
Melanie
An "okay" series. This is the 3rd book I've read in the series and I'm not really impressed.
Barbara
I just love the whodunit twist at the end of all Michele Scott's books. Entertaining.
Dee
This is a series of Wine Lovers' Mysteries.

Easy read; nothing substantial.
Eli
This was the expected fare, but seemed a little lacking in the mystery part.
Paula Garriott
Second book I've read in this series. It is beginning to grow on me.
Gheeta
a good story, interesting recipes. fun wine pairings.
Phil
Cute. Quick. Fun to read.
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
HelenMarie
HelenMarie marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Annie B
Annie B marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • Murder Most Maine (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #3)
  • The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Courting Disaster (Angie Amalfi, #12)
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • As the World Churns (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #16)
  • Espresso Shot (Coffeehouse Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • The Alpine Gamble (Emma Lord Mystery, #7)
Michele grew up thirty minutes east of San Diego in an area called Jamul. It was out there in the country that her parents bought Michele’s first horse and she learned how to ride at five. At nine years old she knew she loved to write and one day wrote a short story that she showed to her dad. She’d written it on one of his legal pads. After he read it, he looked at her and said, “You are a writer ...more
More about Michele Scott...
Murder Uncorked (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #1) Happy Hour Murder by the Glass (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #2) Silenced By Syrah (A Wine Lover's Mystery #3) Covert Reich