Hard Rain

Hard Rain (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #11)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In an attempt to solve the mysterious death of a wealthy banker, the Amsterdam Murder Brigade finds itself outside the limits of the law, using computer-based espionage and the risky influence of friends.
Published July 1st 2003 by Soho Crime (first published 1985)

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Howard C. CutlerZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönThe Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thích Nhất Hạnh
A Buddhist Reading List
444th out of 484 books — 607 voters
The Discovery of Heaven by Harry MulischDe donkere kamer van Damokles by Willem Frederik HermansThe Assault by Harry MulischMax Havelaar by MultatuliNooit meer slapen by Willem Frederik Hermans
The best Dutch literature
176th out of 220 books — 199 voters

More lists with this book...

Zeb Kantrowitz
Sometimes it's hard to write a review of a book because there is no way to summarize what you have just read. van de Wetering writes (or wrote, he died in 2008) what he called 'zen mysteries'. Since Zen itself is a mystery, sometimes the books are an exercise in 'anarchy'. That is nothing and everything goes on at once.

Zeb Kantrowitz
Tim
Grijpstra and de Gier and the commissari, with considerable aid, take down a corrupt and murdering banker from the commissari's past. A cast of wonderful characters, aside from the villain, and A-team like antics. That is harsh because while the plot is over the top and the mystery not mysterious, the dialogue and the characters are a real delight as always.
Lynne-marie
Dec 18, 2011 Lynne-marie rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
This may be the best of Grijpstra & de Grier yet and that's saying something as they're a huge hit in Europe and translating (pun intended) well into the United States. Something about the fast-paced action combined with the vague zen-like mentality of our heroes makes for a bang-up, best-seller equation. Here it's the good guys all alone and warned off the case on top of everything else, but someone must save the day. You know who! Read it! Get out of your own head a little!
Cal
Of the three books by this author I have read this was the weakest. The police characters are far to flippant and unfocused and the book generally had a scattered narrative. Ultimately we listen in on the Van de Wetering philosophy which left the main characters on different sides of the same coin. I simply found the literary devices employed tiresome. Maybe this book suffered from poor translation. Not his best.
Karen Heuler

I love the mundane and the zen philosophizing that goes on here--makes me recall it days later. I have to find the one with someone's Small Satori in the title--I know I thought that was brilliant.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
The detectives of the Amsterdam murder brigade have to work while they are all suspended. 10 corpses and a huge amount of in-fighting in the service. This seemed like the last book. I really liked this one.
Bill-rogers
Interesting in its own way but I am tiring of the quirky Grijpsta and de Gier. This was philosophically rather muddled to me.
Judy
I wanted to love this author because of the Dutch connection but I just didn't.
Claudia
One of my favorite cop/mystery writers.
Cateline
Cateline marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Tom Sheridan
Tom Sheridan marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Wim van Dorst
Wim van Dorst marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Seven
Seven marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Dominic
Dominic marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Empty Mirror: Experiences in a Japanese Zen Monastery Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1) The Corpse on the Dike Tumbleweed A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community