Start by marking “Hard Rain” as Want to Read:
Hard Rain

Hard Rain (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #11)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  10 reviews
On a stormy night in Amsterdam, banker Martin Ijsbreker is killed by a sniper as he sits by an open window at his home along the Binnenkant Canal. Three junkies then enter Ijsbreker's house, arrange his death to look like suicide and steal valuables for which they will be paid in heroin. The next day the addicts are found dead of overdoses in a houseboat on the Binnenkant, ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Soho Crime (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Rain

Stefan Percy
Book #11 in the Grijpstra & de Gier series wasn't too bad at all. In this installment, there are a few things going on here:

1. The Amsterdam Murder Brigade is investigating a case that appears to be a suicide but might actually be foul play.
2. There is an investigative "witch hunt" against the commissaris, Grijpstra and de Gier.
3. An old friend/nemesis of the commissaris is being rather nasty and tries to match wits with the commissaris.

Also, if I am not mistaken, this is the first time we a
Zeb Kantrowitz
Sometimes it's hard to write a review of a book because there is no way to summarize what you have just read. van de Wetering writes (or wrote, he died in 2008) what he called 'zen mysteries'. Since Zen itself is a mystery, sometimes the books are an exercise in 'anarchy'. That is nothing and everything goes on at once.

Zeb Kantrowitz
Tim
Grijpstra and de Gier and the commissari, with considerable aid, take down a corrupt and murdering banker from the commissari's past. A cast of wonderful characters, aside from the villain, and A-team like antics. That is harsh because while the plot is over the top and the mystery not mysterious, the dialogue and the characters are a real delight as always.
Lynne-marie
Dec 18, 2011 Lynne-marie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This may be the best of Grijpstra & de Grier yet and that's saying something as they're a huge hit in Europe and translating (pun intended) well into the United States. Something about the fast-paced action combined with the vague zen-like mentality of our heroes makes for a bang-up, best-seller equation. Here it's the good guys all alone and warned off the case on top of everything else, but someone must save the day. You know who! Read it! Get out of your own head a little!
Cal
Of the three books by this author I have read this was the weakest. The police characters are far to flippant and unfocused and the book generally had a scattered narrative. Ultimately we listen in on the Van de Wetering philosophy which left the main characters on different sides of the same coin. I simply found the literary devices employed tiresome. Maybe this book suffered from poor translation. Not his best.
Karen Heuler

I love the mundane and the zen philosophizing that goes on here--makes me recall it days later. I have to find the one with someone's Small Satori in the title--I know I thought that was brilliant.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
The detectives of the Amsterdam murder brigade have to work while they are all suspended. 10 corpses and a huge amount of in-fighting in the service. This seemed like the last book. I really liked this one.
Bill-rogers
Interesting in its own way but I am tiring of the quirky Grijpsta and de Gier. This was philosophically rather muddled to me.
Judy
I wanted to love this author because of the Dutch connection but I just didn't.
Claudia
One of my favorite cop/mystery writers.
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Joseph Mccaleb
Joseph Mccaleb marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
K Jackson
K Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Dawn Marie
Dawn Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Marloes
Marloes marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Nanna
Nanna added it
Jun 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • After the Silence (Amsterdam Quartet, #1)
  • Rough Cider
  • Moonlight Downs (Emily Tempest, #1)
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • Death in Springtime
  • Buddhism as Philosophy: An Introduction
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • Murder in Clichy (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #5)
  • Off Minor (Charles Resnick, #4)
  • How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery
  • Murder at the Savoy (Martin Beck #6)
  • Blood of the Wicked

Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Tumbleweed
  • The Corpse on the Dike
  • Death of a Hawker
  • The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)
  • The Blond Baboon
  • The Maine Massacre
  • The Mind-Murders
  • The Streetbird
  • The Rattle-Rat - Grijpstra & De Gier, The Amsterdam Cops (Book 10)
The Empty Mirror: Experiences in a Japanese Zen Monastery Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1) The Corpse on the Dike Tumbleweed A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community