Start by marking “Hard Rain” as Want to Read:
Hard Rain

Hard Rain (Amsterdam Cops Mysteries #11)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
During a random break-in, three heroin addicts discover the corpse of banker Martin Ijsbreker. They arrange his death to look like a suicide and flee with his valuables, but are found dead of an overdose the next day. The investigating officer dismissed their deaths as an accident, but the commissaris suspects that his cousin and childhood nemesis, Willem Fernandus, murder ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Soho Crime (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Rain

The Discovery of Heaven by Harry MulischDe donkere kamer van Damokles by Willem Frederik HermansThe Assault by Harry MulischNooit meer slapen by Willem Frederik HermansDe avonden by Gerard Reve
The best Dutch literature
197th out of 269 books — 311 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankMax Havelaar by MultatuliThe Darkroom Of Damocles by Willem Frederik HermansThe Dinner by Herman KochThe Tea Lords by Hella S. Haasse
English translations of Dutch Literature
28th out of 127 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Stefan Percy
Mar 13, 2015 Stefan Percy rated it it was amazing
Book #11 in the Grijpstra & de Gier series wasn't too bad at all. In this installment, there are a few things going on here:

1. The Amsterdam Murder Brigade is investigating a case that appears to be a suicide but might actually be foul play.
2. There is an investigative "witch hunt" against the commissaris, Grijpstra and de Gier.
3. An old friend/nemesis of the commissaris is being rather nasty and tries to match wits with the commissaris.

Also, if I am not mistaken, this is the first time we a
Zeb Kantrowitz
Feb 17, 2014 Zeb Kantrowitz rated it really liked it
Sometimes it's hard to write a review of a book because there is no way to summarize what you have just read. van de Wetering writes (or wrote, he died in 2008) what he called 'zen mysteries'. Since Zen itself is a mystery, sometimes the books are an exercise in 'anarchy'. That is nothing and everything goes on at once.

Zeb Kantrowitz
Tim
Feb 03, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it
Grijpstra and de Gier and the commissari, with considerable aid, take down a corrupt and murdering banker from the commissari's past. A cast of wonderful characters, aside from the villain, and A-team like antics. That is harsh because while the plot is over the top and the mystery not mysterious, the dialogue and the characters are a real delight as always.
Charles Kerns
Your basic van de Wettering. OK.
Lynne-marie
Dec 18, 2011 Lynne-marie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This may be the best of Grijpstra & de Grier yet and that's saying something as they're a huge hit in Europe and translating (pun intended) well into the United States. Something about the fast-paced action combined with the vague zen-like mentality of our heroes makes for a bang-up, best-seller equation. Here it's the good guys all alone and warned off the case on top of everything else, but someone must save the day. You know who! Read it! Get out of your own head a little!
Cal
Feb 09, 2014 Cal rated it it was ok
Of the three books by this author I have read this was the weakest. The police characters are far to flippant and unfocused and the book generally had a scattered narrative. Ultimately we listen in on the Van de Wetering philosophy which left the main characters on different sides of the same coin. I simply found the literary devices employed tiresome. Maybe this book suffered from poor translation. Not his best.
Karen Heuler
Sep 14, 2013 Karen Heuler rated it really liked it

I love the mundane and the zen philosophizing that goes on here--makes me recall it days later. I have to find the one with someone's Small Satori in the title--I know I thought that was brilliant.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
The detectives of the Amsterdam murder brigade have to work while they are all suspended. 10 corpses and a huge amount of in-fighting in the service. This seemed like the last book. I really liked this one.
Bill-rogers
Aug 17, 2013 Bill-rogers rated it it was ok
Interesting in its own way but I am tiring of the quirky Grijpsta and de Gier. This was philosophically rather muddled to me.
Judy
Jul 17, 2011 Judy rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I wanted to love this author because of the Dutch connection but I just didn't.
Claudia
Sep 19, 2008 Claudia rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite cop/mystery writers.
Desertblues
Desertblues rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Asllearner
Asllearner marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Renate Schendel-Hauser
Renate Schendel-Hauser marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Heather Maoury
Heather Maoury marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Deirdre
Deirdre rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Grace Lee
Grace Lee rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Malgorzatakr
Malgorzatakr marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Jorge Larre
Jorge Larre rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Hester
Hester marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Philippina Schug
Philippina Schug rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
  • Until the Debt is Paid  (Jan Tommen Investigation #1)
  • Law of Return (Tejada, #2)
  • After the Silence (Amsterdam Quartet, #1)
  • Moonlight Downs (Emily Tempest, #1)
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • An Intelligent Life: Buddhist Psychology of Self-Transformation
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • Buddhism as Philosophy: An Introduction
  • Rough Cider
  • Off Minor (Charles Resnick, #4)
  • Siren of the Waters (Commander Jana Matinova #1)
  • How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery
  • The Singing Sands (Inspector Alan Grant, #6)
  • Once a Crooked Man
  • Death of an Englishman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #1)
  • Water Touching Stone (Inspector Shan, #2)
  • Random Violence (Jade de Jong, #1)

Amsterdam Cops Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Tumbleweed
  • The Corpse on the Dike
  • Death of a Hawker
  • The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)
  • The Blond Baboon