Start by marking “And Thereby Hangs a Tale ” as Want to Read:
And Thereby Hangs a Tale

And Thereby Hangs a Tale

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,777 Ratings  ·  381 Reviews
International bestselling author Jeffrey Archer has spent the last five years gathering spellbinding stories from around the globe. These fifteen brand-new tales showcase Archer’s talent for capturing an unforgettable moment in time, whether tragic, comic, or outrageous.

In India, Jamwal and Nisha fall in love while waiting for a traffic light to turn green on the streets o
Published August 31st 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about And Thereby Hangs a Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Thereby Hangs a Tale

Mansuriah Hassan
Aug 02, 2016 Mansuriah Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love Jeffrey Archer's works. The attention to detail he gives to his characters is something I love. They seem real and not dipped in frivolity. Every detail seems to serve a purpose to propel the story.

This book contains a total of 15 short stories. 10 of them were based on true events. While the remaining 5 of were the result of the author’s imagination. Truly the book contains interesting short stories, each stories are great quick read with surprise endings. Archer navigates his lit
Jim
Due to a bad memory, I thought this was a collection of short stories about animals. It's not. There are 15 general fiction stories that were enhanced by a good reader. I've only read "Kane & Able" by Archer & that was years ago, but I enjoyed it. He popped up in my newsfeed for some reason & then I saw the audio book, so I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did.

The stories are:

"Stuck On You"
"The Queen's Birthday Telegram"
"High Heels"
"Blind Date"
"Where There's a Will"
"Double-Cross"
"I
Donna
Jun 27, 2016 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jeffrey Archer. He ranks high on my list of favorite authors of all time....but I just can't get into short stories. I either want them to be longer....or I want them to be over. I struggle when they pop up on a "must read" list. But if I must read them...he is my go to author.

I liked the pace of these and they had some his magic woven in. So 3 stars -- because of the author.
Ammey
Sep 19, 2012 Ammey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is a collection of 15 short stories. Out of which 10 stories are based on true incidents. The stories based on true incidents are marked by an asterisk.
1. Stuck on You*
I would rate this as an excellent story. While reading we know what is going to happen, but don’t know how.
2. The Queen's Birthday Telegram*
I would rate this as an excellent story. The story ends with a smile on your face.
3. High Heels*
Again, I would rate this as an excellent story. The comment at the end of the story by
Abhinav
3 to 3.5 stars for this short story collection by Jeffrey Archer.

I absolutely love Jeffrey Archer's short stories & I think he's one of the best atleast among the current crop of writers. That being said, I have to say I was left slightly disappointed by 'And Thereby Hangs A Tale'.

This collection has 15 stories, of which 10 happen to be inspired from real events. I think this must be the only compilation of his which has so many of these. Sorry to say, most of these inspired tales lack the s
Jeanette
It's a while since I've read Jeffrey Archer. I remember enjoying his books Cain and Abel, Prodigal Daughter, Shall We Tell the President and Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less so I had high expectations of And Thereby Hangs a Tale. The title references a quote (or quotes) from Shakespeare and is itself included in three of the stories - including the last line of the last story.

And Thereby Hangs a Tale is a collection of short stories, most of which are apparently drawn from stories told to Arch
Joseph McBee
I have never been a fan of Jeffrey Archer's novels but I have always enjoyed his short story collections. Until this one.

When I asked one of my favorite writers what he thought of Archer's writing he relplied with one word: "pedestrian."

I can't disagree, but to tell the truth, that is one of the things I always liked about his work. I am the kind of guy who likes reading on Facebook and Twitter what my friends had for lunch, or where they went for the weekend. Archer's stories always appealed to
sanny
Jun 24, 2015 sanny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to sanny by: My sis
As expected from Jeffrey Archer. I've never actually read his full-length novels, but from this collection I'm pretty sure I'd like his stories.

This tome packs stories he'd gathered all over the globe, some based on true stories, some imagined. The writing style was modest, sometimes a little formulaic or too indulgent in my opinion, but overall it's good in the name of entertainment.

Not to say that I like all or even one of the characters in the many short stories; many of them were almost cari
Sonia Gomes
And 'Thereby Hangs A Tale' consists of fifteen short stories.
None can be said to be extraordinary but most of them are really good and most of them are true.
With some you would know 'where its leading' but with Jeffrey Archer it is not the 'where its leading'as much as the 'how did it get there'which is important.
One story that really has a quirky ending and would make you laugh in disbelief is 'The Queen's Birthday Telegram'. You know that the Nurse in 'Where There's a Will' is out to get th
Joy H.
Added 8/14/15.
I tried reading Archer's short stories in his book, "And Thereby Hangs A Tale." I didn't enjoy the stories I read. I found them dry and too filled with uninteresting twists. In order to reach the "surprise endings", you have to read through too many explanations about the various paths the characters have to enact in order for the reader to reach the surprise ending.

Another reason I didn't enjoy Archer's short stories is that his characters aren't likable. It's no fun reading about
Manu Prasad
Jul 25, 2011 Manu Prasad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
The good news is that Lord Archer still has that amazing gift of storytelling, the bad news is that the twists seem to have been blunted a bit. Its probably the sheer amount of content that we encounter, or the tendency to predict the author's twist, or the way reality beats fiction these days, but compared to the author's earlier works, this one didn't induce the jaw-dropping.

It'd be tempting to say that since 10 of the 15 works are based on real life, the scope for the twist is limited by fac
Sofia Teixeira
"Uma Ponta de Verdade" foi o primeiro livro que li deste autor e revelou-se uma boa surpresa. Foram quinze contos, todos bastante diversificados, a maioria baseados em casos reais e sempre com uma pitada bastante apurada de originalidade.
A escrita do autor é simples e directa e consegue com que nos envolvamos e de certa forma vivamos a história das personagens.

Dos quinze contos, houve dois que me surpreenderam mais:
Encontro às cegas, parecia ser um simples conto sobre um cego que, no seu café ha
Jim B
Jun 04, 2012 Jim B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Jeffrey Archer as a writer and this was an opportunity to sample a lot of different stories. Besides telling stories where there is an interesting crime or interesting characters or a twist at the end, I also enjoy "the dropping of the other shoe" when a small detail in the beginning of the story (for example, the character studies Shakespeare) leads to a small detail later in the story, provoking a smile for me.

My favorite stories in this book were the old man who was so concerned that
Siaw Hui
I've always been a fan of Jeffrey Archer's collection of short stories ever since I picked up "A Quiver Full of Arrows" for my high school subject of English Literature. I've always liked the way Archer keeps his prose short and sweet, and his unexpected plot twists are just that!

In "And Thereby Hangs A Tale", Archer's knack for keeping things succinct and plot endings unexpected continues. Furthermore, the fact that some of the short stories in this set are true just sweetens the deal a tad bit
Graham Armstrong
I have to admit this is the first Jeffrey Archer novel that I have read and the fact that it was filled with short stories made it a good introduction to his writing style and story telling. Some of the short stories you want to be made into longer stories because you want to find out what happened to the characters. All in all a great, quick read.
Ravi Abhyankar
Sep 09, 2014 Ravi Abhyankar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Archer, Jeffrey. And Thereby Hangs a Tale, Pan Macmillan, London, 2010. (Pages 288, paperback)

Rating: 2.5/10

Contains fifteen stories, including nine allegedly true.

What is written has always been more important than how in any Archer book. In a creative writing classroom, two randomly selected passages were chosen for editing. One was by James Joyce, and another by Jeffrey Archer. The authors and titles of books were not revealed. Students could edit the Archer passages endlessly. So much to c
Anish Antony
Nov 24, 2014 Anish Antony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story lovers
The book is a collection of 15 short stories by Jeffrey Archer. 10 are based on true life incidents and 5 are from his imagination. The book ends with the quote 'And thereby hangs a tale'. This has been quoted twice in the book in 2 short stories, 'The Undiplomatic Diplomat' and 'Caste Off' respectively.
Among the 15 short stories, 5 stories are brilliant and attracted me very much.
1) Blind Date

Blind Date:
When you ar
Saimah
Jul 27, 2011 Saimah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has shattered almost all of my Archer-is-a-good-story-teller opinions. This book is a collection of 15 short stories, some being Archer's own experiences while others just fiction. However what is common between both the kinds is their ordinary quality. Most of the stories failed to keep me engrossed and considering Archer's style of writing, the twists (if they can be called so) by the end of the stories were predictable. Few of them were, as a matter of fact, horribly disappointing.
Jayati Agrawal
There r collection of 15 nice stories in which 10 r based on real incidents while remaining 5 r just imaginary.
1. STUCK ON U- In this story,u'll b knowing the incident bt hw. The suspense is hw jeremy steal the kandice diamond.
2. THE QUEEN'S BDAY TELEGRAM- nice story, its all abt d telegram Mr. Albert bebber waits for.
3. HIGH HEELS- Its all the game of fire and shoe buckle.
4. BLIND DATE- Its really a awesome story, u'll b amazed at d end of d story.
5. WHERE THERE'S A WILL- nice story although it
Rishi Prakash
Jun 05, 2012 Rishi Prakash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not without reason that Jeffrey Archer is called a Master Story Teller...once again he has proved the same in this book. I think writing short stories is the most difficult thing as you have to put everything in a very short space and hence I always admire those authors who manage to do it well and this is one such book where every story has come out great. Go for it if you like short stories :-)
Jim A
Sep 18, 2011 Jim A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the premiere story tellers and the master of the short story, Jeffrey Archer does it again. Fifteen short stories, all of which contain a twist.

As with all compilations of short stories, some are better than others but all are worth reading.
Angela
Oct 14, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I basically LOVE everything that Jeffrey Archer writes! His short stories are always delightful in that they leave a smile on your face with their twists and turns. 12 of the 15 in this collection were based on actual events. Very crafty writing.
Avinash
Jun 18, 2015 Avinash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And Thereby Hangs a Tale is a collection of short stories written by Jeffrey Archer. My first book of short stories and my first book of Jeffrey Archer and i am very much looking forward for more short story collections and also JA's books. There are 15 short stories, each with 2 or few more characters, a plot and a twist in the end of every short story. "Blind Date" and "Caste off" are two of the short stories that i liked the most. All of them are pretty good, but Blind Date is a simple and c ...more
Ramyaa Gobi
Jan 22, 2015 Ramyaa Gobi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing one for teenagers who are just starting to take up serious book. Not all 15 stories are good but there will be at least 3 stories which will leave a mark. My most favourite story was the first one, 'Stuck on You'. Every time I walk into a jewellery shop now, I can only think of chewing gum. Jeffery Archer has done a great job writing these stories. He always leaves a suspense at the end of his stories which I personally find very riveting. I also like the stories 'Where t ...more
Trina Dutta
And Thereby Hangs A Tale has been my very first Jeffrey Archer book that I finished reading this weekend. This book is a collection of 15 stories. Each story has a different origin,taste,plot and are very distinct. The stories that are based on true incidents are: 1.Stuck on you, 2.The Queen's Birthday Telegram, 3.High Heels, 4. Double Cross, 5.I will survive,6.Where there's a will, 7.Members Only, 8.The Undiplomatic Diplomat, 9. The luck of the Irish, 10.Caste-Off.

The rest of the 5 stories-Blin
Priyanka Mishra
Jun 26, 2014 Priyanka Mishra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey Archer is a genius, apart from being highly accomplished with words. Thereby Hangs A Tale, is an apt example of an engaging, lively and diverse collection of short stories. Every story brings out the irony of various situations in life.
The stories reveal how life beats us despite our determination and ingenuity by, what seems like a mere slip of luck, but on looking closely is a planned attack on our fortunes by destiny. It's always a win some, lose some game for all. My loss will be som
Sarah Jan
Nov 17, 2010 Sarah Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of stories that are quite captivating and great for a bedtime read since each story is complete in itself.
Aaron
Nov 01, 2013 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories in the same readable style as the Clifton chronicles. Loved them.
Vaibhav
Jun 07, 2016 Vaibhav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection of Short stories by one of most favorite author. Great read indeed.
Sonya
This is a collection of short stories. The writing is good and all the stories have a twist. While it's not that all these stories have a terrible ending, it is one of those books that leaves me peevish and melancholy. Seems like a lot of short stories are geared that way. Funny thing is that I had listened to this before, but had forgotten, so by the time it got to the end of most of the stories I had remembered the plot twist. By the way, I absolutely love Gerard Doyle. Mostly listened to his ...more
  • The Hunters
  • Mumbai Avengers
  • Crush (Karen Vail #2)
  • The Grimm Diaries Prequels 7- 10
  • Triple Exposure
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • The Second Ward
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • Mourn The Living
  • Lifted
  • Chinatown Beat (A Detective Jack Yu Investigation #1)
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • The Rivals (The Mockingbirds, #2)
  • Crossing the Line
  • The Girl on the Beach
  • Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle World War II, #1)
  • The Veteran
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
More about Jeffrey Archer...