Start by marking “The People Of The Mist” as Want to Read:
The People Of The Mist
read book* *Different edition

The People Of The Mist

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,735 ratings  ·  142 reviews
A penniless British adventurer seeks untold wealth in the wilds of the "Dark Continent" after losing his family lands & estates in this thrilling novel of romance, adventure & lost peoples. An intensely engrossing tale.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The People Of The Mist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People Of The Mist

Henry Avila
When two brothers lose their home.Because of the father's unethical behavior.Then he commits suicide.Leonard Outram and his older sibling, Tom.Are left penniless.Both flee to Africa.Vowing to each other.Never to return. Until they regain Outram Hall,in England.But how to restore their family's centuries old, estate, and honor?Leonard leaves the woman he loves.Jane Beach,her father forbids his daughter. From marrying Outram. Who has no income or prospects.Besides, a rich man wants Jane to be his...more
Sandy
Sir Henry Rider Haggard, the so-called "Father of the Lost Race Novel," didn't write such stories featuring only Allan Quatermain and Ayesha, She Who Must Be Obeyed. For example, his 17th novel, "The People of the Mist" (1894), is a smashing, wonderfully exciting, stand-alone lost-race tale featuring all-new characters. But the first third of the novel is hardly a lost-race story at all, but rather one of hard-bitten African adventure.

In it, we meet Leonard Outram, a penniless British adventure...more
Julie Davis
Having become disenchanted with Haggard's classic "She" to the point of quitting halfway through, I embark upon this book having been assured by my oldest daughter, Hannah, that this book is different and worthy of the time. I must say that so far it has been enthralling and I've been devoting my few spare moments to devouring it. It is living up to the description which I share here:
Dagny
As the story opens, an ancestral home is for sale. The father has ruined the family with drinking and gambling. The two sons, Tom and Leonard, vow to make a fortune and regain the family home. They go gold-hunting in Africa and when the story picks up seven years later the action is non-stop.
Charles
Haggard pretty much began the Lost Race novel, or so it is generally said. For that reason I'll give this book a 4. Just for reading, however, I'd have to rate it a 3. Good, but a little slow. Not as much fun as ERB or REH.
Kevin
A rousing adventure tale in the best traditions of the genre. If this book had been written at a later time I would say the plot was tired and overused. However given the time period of the writing it is easy to see how Sir Henry's works form the basis for the adventures tales of later authors including (as I understand) Robert Howard (of Conan fame) and Edgar Rice Burroughs(Tarzan among others).

The writing was excellent, the plot twists were well done and the dialogue was fun to read as it was...more
MB Taylor
I finished reading The People of the Mist (1894) by H. Rider Haggard last night (on 6/12/2010). Having enjoyed re-reading Tarzan, I thought I’d go a little bit further back in time and read an African adventure by the author of King Solomon’s Mines (1885) and She (1886). It’s been a while since I read either of those notables, but I think I enjoyed them somewhat more than The People of the Mist.

Of course, She is a classic; according to Wikipedia it’s been in print almost continuously for over a...more
Debbie
The People of the Mist by H. Rider Haggard was a Kindle Freebie that I had downloaded from Amazon. Although written in the antiquated style of the 1800's, it was an exciting tale of romance and adventure.

The book begins with Leonard Outram losing his fortune at the hands of his father and he is turned out penniless to seek his fortune to regain his ancestral home. He travels to Africa with his brother to seek their fortunes together. Soon afterward, he takes "Otter" in his employ, loses his bro...more
Cindy
The People of the Mist is an adventure novel written by H. Rider Haggard, the father of the Lost World literature genre. It is not a fast read, but an enjoyable read when you slow your pace down to Haggard's late 1800's style of writing where he allowed characters to fully developed, morality tales abound, and several side stories to be played out. Haggard was amazing in his ability to create his lost world with intense imagination and flawless detail. This book includes all love types....of cou...more
Derek
This is an adventure novel which turns into a heist story through its middle part.

The 'heist' part of it--posing as gods to a lost civilization in order to obtain a heap of the pretty pebbles which Europeans seem to love so much--forms the unexpectedly soggy middle of the narrative. This section feeds on the spectacle of the People of the Mist and their wild, barbaric religious ceremonies. The protagonists, shoehorned into the role of deities, are sequestered and become little more than witnesse...more
Derek Davis
I'd imagine a lot of people have downgraded this novel for its antediluvian approach to race and class. Well, that's just the way those things were done in those days (late 19th century, turn of the 20th). You'll seldom find much else, especially in African adventure tale.

On the positive side, "Mist" has a lot stronger sense of plot than "She" and a better and more nuanced cast of characters. Otter, the black dwarf, is a marvelous creation on every level. Yes, he's deep in the "wog" tradition,...more
Moe
This is a tale of derring-do, with great villains, damsels in distress, and English adventurers to the rescue. If I had to compare it to a story I've read I would go with the Count of Monte Cristo.

The hero is obsessive and unscrupulous in his pursuit of treasure, even to the point of risking the lives of those he loves to obtain it, but is otherwise courageous and valiant. His companion, Otter, is a dwarf-servant and my favorite character in the book.

The story has two main thrusts and both are...more
Pure classic. I love the "lost race" tales so this filled in my attention for a lots of time while on the subway on the way to school or home. It is a very good book.
Calzean
The hero and his brother lose the title to their English lands and home due to their father's actions. The hero also loses his fiancee who is no longer permitted to marry the now poor man. The brothers form a pact to go to Africa and find their fortune so they can reclaim their "rightful" titles.

In the same vein of Quartermain, our hero rescues a damsel from slavers, finds a hidden land, finds and loses a fortune and returns to England with his damsel (now wife) to find he has inherited his fami...more
Tim Standafer
Didn't want it to end.
Gary
Apr 11, 2014 Gary rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gary by: Khdavis
Shelves: adventure
I wish this book had been written today, instead of in the 1890s.

It was considered progressive for its era, compared to other European stories depicting Africans. But the social attitudes of the past aren't the same as they are now.

The story is action-packed and compelling. Haggard never lets the pressure off of his characters. Every time the reader thinks the characters are in a bad place, Haggard throws in a twist that makes it worse. He's a master of ratcheting up the tension.

The characters...more
Douglas
Another great adventure story by H. Rider Haggard! Just like an Indiana Jones movie - non stop action! Fighting off pirates and slave traders, a dramatic rescue of young lady, tracking into the interior of Africa in pursuit of the People of the Mist and their land of rubies and sapphires were just the beginning third of the adventures of Leonard Outram and Juanna Rodd (the fair maiden he rescued from the slave traders). When they reach the Land of the Mists, Juanna is declared a goddess and Leon...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
When I was a teenager a novel by Haggard called Wisdom's Daughter caught my eye. I loved that historical fantasy set in Ancient Egypt and bought up every Haggard book I could find, one book short of a dozen. It's decades later, they were still on my shelves, and I found I could vividly remember all but two--Heart of the World and People of the Mist. That puts People of the Mist at the bottom of the pile for me--although for what it's worth, I did like this more than Heart of the World.

Haggard's...more
Peter Heinrich
Knock off one more classic Victorian adventure novel—I'm on a roll. I blame Treasure Island for getting me started on this path, but sadly, none of its contemporaries has matched it for writing quality or entertainment value. Haggard aficionados may balk at this, and wonder if I read about the same misty people they did. "It's wall-to-wall adventure (and well-written); it defines 'entertaining.'"

Ok, they're not wrong. I just liked Treasure Island better. For whatever reason, this book didn't do...more
Philip
This is a great story; I really enjoyed it and am definitely going to read more books by H. Rider Haggard, assuming that they will similarly be as good.

The beginning starts out slowly, introducing background and characters in a easy-to-follow way and leading into the main premise of the plot. Unlike some stories with slow starts, I really never had a problem staying interested, though, and never thought that there was too much exposition used for framing; it was just showing the background and s...more
David Brown
Of H. Rider Haggard’s novels I had only previously read King Solomon’s Mines (1885) so was happy to try another of his works. I was most intrigued by The People of the Mist, which promised another of Haggard’s African adventures but would it be as memorable as King Solomon’s Mines?

The novel begins with brothers Leonard and Thomas Outram who lose their home and for poor Leonard the prospect of marrying his beloved Jane Beach. The brothers head for Africa to seek their fortune and buy back their e...more
Jelios Ataliakrouso
4.6/5
People of the Mist offers adventure, a bit of romance.
Seems to have two peaks to the plot, the first to kick off the adventure with some gunpowder and the second to transition the story to an end.
Isolationist policy, war and politics, secrets and betrayal seem common place in the story. the characters are always "active," they might as well never sleep.
Rich background and characters.
Story is told from different perspective and the story develops.
Takes place in Africa,during colonialism,...more
Jared
"King Solomon's Mines" was a childhood favorite of mine, an all-out action/adventure spectacular that I enjoyed unreservedly long before I had an awareness of postcolonial or feminist theories. No doubt about it, H. Rider Haggard and his virtuous (and fictional) white supermen are a firm product of their time. Awareness of historical context is important, but I'm not one to get hung up on the shortcomings of previous generations. Every era has its blind spots, but good writing is good writing, a...more
Lee Broderick
It's been a long time since I read any of H. Rider Haggard's books, not least because I had long been of the informed opinion that there were no others worth reading. So how true is that?

Well, it's difficult to make comparisons over such a large gap, but a few things did strike me as I read this. Firstly, Leonard Outram is not the usual Haggard romantic lead: he is made to carry all of the burden in the plot, playing the wise old-head as well as the dashing adventurer. Roles Haggard had kept str...more
Scot
Almost ten years after he published King Solomon's Mines, which created the heroic prototype for the Indiana Jones character and adventure format, Haggard wrote this book, in 1894, which is the first of the "Great Lost Lands" type novels (think of Gilman's Herland or the old TV show Land of the Lost as exemplars of this subgenre).

In such stories, European heroes and heroines discover exotic hidden empires--usually in darkest Africa--and with the aid of sympathetic native characters (such as the...more
Toby
If you like things like Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider, you might like H. Rider Haggard. He's the author of many treasure and adventure books, including the Allen Quartermain series that had a movie made of them.[return][return]This one has some fun twists to the quest theme because it is about a man who lost his fortune and vows with his brother to get the family estate back. There aren't too many magical or surreal twists, everything is conceivable and yet still quite fantastic. Full of adventu...more
Tinnean
I'm still working on this. I have a Kindle version, which I was reading while I was at Gulf Coast Medical waiting for my husband to be taken to recovery. There were parts I had to read over again because frankly it was putting me to sleep, but I kept reminding myself this story was at least 100 years old. Also 1. at that time they were more into telling than showing, and this is something else I have to keep in mind. Also 2. they were big into facial hair, which...ewww.

On the plus side, it does...more
Nick
I had a 6-hour night flight and this book perfectly killed the time. The People of the Mist, aside from an occasional absurdity, is the Victorian equivalent of Dan Brown or James Patterson. H. Rider Haggard knew his way around a plot, and this one is full of desperate situations (during which the characters seem to have a good deal of time to tell us how desperate the situation is, but that just adds to the fun) and unforgettable characters, including Otter, the incredibly strong vertically chal...more
Losososdiane
I had to keep in mind that this book was written at the end of the nineteenth century. The pacing is slower and the dialogue is sometimes more complicated than modern adventure novels. Also, some of the terms used are a bit shocking today. Savage for native people is the most shocking. The main characters are fairly well developed, including the leaders of the People of the Mist. My favorite and most sympathetic character is the ever resourceful sidekick Otter, a dwarf and an African. Haggard's...more
Ana
I'm reviewing this as part of my "Same Title- Different Book" project! This particular People of the Mist is a 'turn of the century' novel in which the adventures of an Englishman in the 'Dark Continent' are recorded. Free on the Kindle, this novel is certainly entertaining but you have to put aside any modern notions in order to enjoy it. First of all, any non-white characters are mostly depicted in gross stereotypes. It must be read within its context. The plot lines are also sometimes silly i...more
  • The Underground City
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights
  • Alaeddin And The Enchanted Lamp
  • The Book of Werewolves
  • The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig'
  • The After House
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • The Lost Prince
  • The Lost Continent
  • House of Corruption
  • The Wood Beyond the World
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon...more
More about H. Rider Haggard...
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain Ayesha: The Return of She Montezuma's Daughter

“how impotent are the efforts of imagination to vie with hidden truths— even with the hidden truths of this small and trodden world.” 0 likes