Start by marking “A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles” as Want to Read:
A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles

A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles

Hardcover, The World's Best Reading, 301 pages
Published June 1st 1986 by The Reader's Digest Association (first published 1887)

Be the first to ask a question about A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles

Bailey Canham
Dec 02, 2016 Bailey Canham rated it it was amazing
The book "A Study in Scarlet/ The Hounds of the Baskervilles" by Arthur Conan Doyle is a wonderful read and I enjoyed every second that I spent reading it. Although there are many great qualities about this book, there are two qualities that stand out as the best to me. The first one is the mystery that the author so effectively weaves into the story. Even though you see all the clues and hear all the important details, you still feel like you are blind when Sherlock Holmes revels the whole sequ ...more
Lora
Jan 26, 2013 Lora rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
There are two parts to the Study in Scarlet: the really interesting part with Holmes and Watson meeting for the first time (and their adventure together), and the weird part done as a separate narrative in the American west where mormons kidnap women for their 'harems' because they are running out of women of their own, wowza.
When I was a kid, I really thought Sherlock Holmes had been a real person. So when I came across Study in Scarlet, I hit a huge wall of confusion. Having been brought up L
Sharo Karim
Jun 18, 2013 Sharo Karim rated it it was amazing
One of the most enjoyable readings of all time! You are never bored because there is always a surprise coming your way that will definitely amuse you. The one thing I found very enjoyable to do is when you get the clues try and solve the case for yourself before reading on. Doing that made me realize how gigantic and elegant Arthur Conan Doyle's art is. I enjoyed reading these two of Sherlock Holmes' adventures and it's very recommended.
Deb
Dec 01, 2015 Deb rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just have to dive into a piece of classic literature so you can read passages like this:
Sherlock Holmes sprang to his feet the moment that she was gone and rushed to his room. He returned in a few seconds enveloped in an ulster and a cravat.
"....enveloped in an ulster and a cravat....." Isn't that great??!?
Caroline
Feb 14, 2015 Caroline rated it it was amazing
A fun read. Holmes is painted as a gifted, neurotic and eccentric genius - more so than a suited and proper English gentleman. The story is a lot more complex and nuanced than I had expected while still keeping the pace of a (somewhat) lighthearted whodunnit. I might be hooked on Holmes.
John
This copy contains two Sherlock Holmes stories. The cover is striking and a big reason I bought the book. Years later, I have finally started reading it.

A STUDY IN SCARLET
Written in the 1880s, I wondered if it would be a slow read. Not slow at all! It was fascinating, fun and quick.

One need wait only five pages before Watson is introduced to Sherlock, and the build-up and actual meeting are highly amusing. My wife rightly pointed out that it was reminiscent of Leonard first meeting Sheldon in a
Drew
Sep 29, 2012 Drew rated it really liked it
I finally read the first Sherlock Holmes mystery. I enjoyed A Study in Scarlet, but not as much as I did the Hound of the Baskervilles, the other tale included in this volume.

The first part of A Study in Scarlet was fun, with the introduction of Dr. Watson and Holmes, how they met, their backgrounds and quirks. It was nice to be able to have some backstory instead of just seeing the convivial relationship that I jumped into with later stories and the various film interpretations. The second par
Rachel
In "A Study in Scarlet" a man is found dead in an empty house under rather mysterious circumstances that leave the authorities stumped. His traveling companion is found dead the next night adding to the mystery. It is the first Holmes mystery published and in addition to the actual mystery it recounts how Holmes and Watson met. I really enjoyed reading it mostly because it is one of the few Holmes mysteries I haven't seen a accurate film adaptation of so I didn't already know how it ended. I als ...more
Susan
Aug 23, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, classic
Saw this in a store and had to buy it. Contains two stories: the first Sherlock Holmes story, and perhaps the most famous (but third full novel). Finally gave me a chance to read Hound of the Baskervilles.

So, A Study in Scarlet is the story of Sherlock's first case after meeting Watson. The introduction was interesting, and then the case was pretty cool too. My only gripe was that the center, where we switch to the backstory of one of the characters, seemed a little long and out of place for the
Stefano Zorba
Apr 22, 2012 Stefano Zorba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scritto da Sir Arthur Conan Doyle e pubblicato tra il 1901 e il 1902, questo romanzo ha come unica peculiarità quella di aver riportato in vita Sherlock Holmes, morto nell'"episodio" precedente, "L'ultima avventura".

Ha cercato di accontentare i lettori, con questa storia a metà tra il paranormale e il giallo, ma Conan Doyle non ha decisamente dato il meglio di se.

Sherlock Holmes e il Dottor Watson vengono "ingaggiati" dal dottor Mortimer per indagare sulla strana morte del barone Sir Charles Bas
Alessandro Balestra
Questo libro contiene due delle più famose indagini di Sherlock Holmes, il geniale detective creato dalla penna di Doyle. In una cupa Londra di fine Ottocento Holmes risolve brillantemente il misterioso delitto dello "Studio in rosso". "Il mastino dei Baskerville" è invece il terribile demone che da secoli perseguita un antica famiglia inglese, un mistero che in apparenza rientra nel "soprannaturale"; la nebbiosa e tetra brughiera fa da sfondo a questa nuova indagine di Sherlock Holmes. Inoltre, ...more
Robert
May 19, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Actually, I read these two in separate volumes about 30 years apart. I particularly enjoyed A Study in Scarlet. I had trouble putting it down to go to sleep at night Well-written. Interesting because it introduces Watson to Holmes and Watson introduces us to Holmes. It's also got a fascinating glimpse at the history of the American West. I think maybe this book should be read as a companion volume to Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage.

By the time I had the pleasure of reading Hound of the Bas
Nick
May 17, 2007 Nick rated it liked it
Recommends it for: the overstimulated
Shelves: fiction
I borrowed this rich old tome from a high bookshelf in the back room of my friends' house. Baskervilles and Scarlet are two great stories, and I believe two of the first ones Doyle put out there.

I always forget how these mysteries are put together. In Baskervilles, maybe there's a murder and a rumor, a rumor of a ghost dog. And Holmes goes from there. With Scarlet, we hop time and continents from England to Salt Lake City. The author really does a number on the Mormons.

Sherlock Holmes stories ar
Fernando Chavez
Feb 28, 2010 Fernando Chavez rated it it was amazing
A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles - I chose to read this for the summary reading list. And in my opinion one of the greatest detective books made. The book opened me to detective based books and interested into the subject since after finishing the book. Holmes with his fellow comrad Dr.Watson are on a story about one of Baskervilles family got killed. Therefore the with baskervilles regard they head for help. One of the servant's prepares a trip to see the detective to start th ...more
Melissa
Aug 30, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
I finished reading "A Study in Scarlet." It was a really surprising mystery, as it included a story within a story, all quite fascinating. I certainly would not have been able to guess "who done it."~~
And I've finished reading the whole thing. I enjoyed The Hound of the Baskervilles more than the first story. It had a lot of neat "creepy factor" and vivid descriptions. Never knew Watson was such a good observer and writer. ;) There were a few exclamations using the Lord's name in vain, however.
Eri
Apr 29, 2014 Eri rated it liked it
Read this one in Slovak, to challenge myself a bit :)

I was curious to finally read some Sherlock Holmes stories after watching films and tv series. Divided into two parts, book is not as hard to read as other older literature, but still, I guess I'm stuck with very recent literature, because reading books like these requires bit of patience.

For fans of SH or other detective stuff - recommended. For mainstream lovers - get something easier or challenge yourself.
Kathy  Petersen
Actually, I only read The Hound of the Baskervilles in this volume. Having pledged to read all the Holmes in order of publication, I started with A Study in Scarlet in September.

Perhaps I have been influenced by the many film versions of the story, but the actual tale is nor as spooky not as mystery-laden as I remembered it. However, a trip to the moors is always welcome, especially in the innocent company of Dr. Watson and the intricate denouement by Holmes.
Eve
Sep 19, 2013 Eve rated it really liked it
Reading Sherlock Holmes is like reading the bible - I find myself constantly saying, "oh, that's where that came from!" I believe that these stories hold up quite well and find myself really enjoying them. Mystery/detective fiction is definitely NOT my genre, but a little dip into a different pool does one good now and then. I'll be moving on to some shorter Holmes stories now, whic I'll intersperse with other reading.
Tori Cochran
Mar 11, 2014 Tori Cochran rated it really liked it
Shelves: period-mystery
I was very confused by A Study in Scarlet because it was the second classical book I had read. About halfway through it switched to talking about what had happened,but I did not understand until the very end. Conversely, The Hound of the Baskervilles was much easier for me to understand. I was rather disappointed by who a certain person was.
Stephanie
Apr 20, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, classics
3.5 stars, over all.
3 stars for Study in Scarlet: The case itself was fascinating, but the rather extensive back-story over took the main story & took me out of the novel.
4 for The Hound of the Baskervilles. It was just as much a thriller as it was a mystery & I was left wondering who did it, along with Watson.
Khashayar Ghazianzad
Apr 27, 2015 Khashayar Ghazianzad rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful in every way! I have read this novel over and over again and this is the kind of writing that could have only come out of the mind of a literary genius. If you want to get into the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, this MUST be the first book that you read because Holmes and Watson meet each other for the first time in Study in Scarlet.
Angela
Aug 29, 2016 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
A Study in Scarlet was my first Arthur Conan Doyle book. The flow of the story was a challenge at first. Events seemed to happen out of order, but in the end it all made sense. I liked that it held me in suspense and I really didn't have any idea of "who dunit" until much further into the story. (I also read this graphic novel format.)
Anastasia Pickett
Feb 07, 2010 Anastasia Pickett rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A Study in Scarlet-an interesting and tangled tale that was really interesting. I enjoyed journing through the mystery and getting to know Mr. Sherlock Holmes as well as Watson.
The Hound of the Baskervilles-I especially enjoyed this story. It did scare me at one point and for that I say good job. I really liked it and look forward to other works by Arthur Conan Doyle.
Kristy
Apr 27, 2015 Kristy rated it liked it
I liked it! The first story was more interesting in my opinion... who doesn't love a bit of Mormon bashing? Unfortunately the second story with the hound as the main mystery just isn't very scary for modern audiences anymore. But the descriptions of the moor and countryside were nice. I would definitely like to read more Holmes stories.
Clint
Jan 18, 2010 Clint rated it really liked it
Wow. Doyle pretty much got it right from the start. The section of the book in Mormon Utah impressed me. It is just as vividly described and seemingly true to life as Doyle's Victorian London. This is as good as most of the stories and I prefer the short novel format. Doyle seems to be a better writer when he has a little more space.
Diana
Feb 27, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
Excellent to read the classic and compare it with my perceptions of the characters - both the old school PBS version my father was obsessed with and the newer modern BBC spectacular series. Loved the effect of the time period on sleuthing - previous mystery reads were primarily modern day settings (The Name of the Rose nonwithstanding). Lovely to see writing stand the test of time.
Abrielle Tolle
Feb 19, 2013 Abrielle Tolle rated it it was amazing
Only read the Study in Scarlet, but it was from this copy. I adored it! I love Sherlock Holmes and after I saw the movie, I knew I just had to read the books. The only part I didn't like was the flashback, though I've heard when the book was published it was the most exciting part.
Camilo Guerra
Oct 10, 2014 Camilo Guerra rated it it was ok
Muy dificil leer las aventuras del detective ya habeindo visto la serie de la BBC...los dos son trabajos cuidados y muy pulcros, por encima de la media...ya quisiera mucho escritor de misterio ( si,te hablo a ti John Verdon) tener la mitad del talento del escritor ingles.
Ryan Killoran
Feb 15, 2011 Ryan Killoran rated it it was amazing
I am a proud owner of this edition. I finished "A Study in Scarlet" and immediately fell in love with Doyle's writing and his characters. I'm currently (feb. 15 2011) reading "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and can't put it down in my hours off from work.
Robb Nesvick
Nov 13, 2008 Robb Nesvick rated it liked it
While it is fascinating to see how Holmes and Watson get their start, the books deviation to Mormon country (while interesting) can throw you for a bit of a loop. Great for first time Sherlock Holmes readers, but if your a fan, be prepared to leave Watson's narrative for some 40 pages.
  • The Gift Of The Magi And Other Stories (Scholastic Classics)
  • Strange Jest: A Short Story
  • Twice-Told Tales
  • Haussmann, or the Distinction
  • The Cloister and the Hearth
  • Beau Geste
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...