A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles

A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  552 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Hardcover, The World's Best Reading, 301 pages
Published June 1st 1986 by Reader's Digest (first published 1887)

Be the first to ask a question about A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Odyssey by HomerMacbeth by William Shakespeare
Best Books From Before 1950
227th out of 414 books — 73 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Best Literary Mysteries
302nd out of 564 books — 1,430 voters

More lists with this book...

Lora
There are two parts to the Study in Scarlet: the really interesting part with Holmes and Watson meeting for the first time (and their adventure together), and the weird part done as a separate narrative in the American west where mormons kidnap women for their 'harems' because they are running out of women of their own, wowza.
When I was a kid, I really thought Sherlock Holmes had been a real person. So when I came across Study in Scarlet, I hit a huge wall of confusion. Having been brought up L...more
Sharo Karim
One of the most enjoyable readings of all time! You are never bored because there is always a surprise coming your way that will definitely amuse you. The one thing I found very enjoyable to do is when you get the clues try and solve the case for yourself before reading on. Doing that made me realize how gigantic and elegant Arthur Conan Doyle's art is. I enjoyed reading these two of Sherlock Holmes' adventures and it's very recommended.
Drew
I finally read the first Sherlock Holmes mystery. I enjoyed A Study in Scarlet, but not as much as I did the Hound of the Baskervilles, the other tale included in this volume.

The first part of A Study in Scarlet was fun, with the introduction of Dr. Watson and Holmes, how they met, their backgrounds and quirks. It was nice to be able to have some backstory instead of just seeing the convivial relationship that I jumped into with later stories and the various film interpretations. The second par...more
Zorba
Scritto da Sir Arthur Conan Doyle e pubblicato tra il 1901 e il 1902, questo romanzo ha come unica peculiarità quella di aver riportato in vita Sherlock Holmes, morto nell'"episodio" precedente, "L'ultima avventura".

Ha cercato di accontentare i lettori, con questa storia a metà tra il paranormale e il giallo, ma Conan Doyle non ha decisamente dato il meglio di se.

Sherlock Holmes e il Dottor Watson vengono "ingaggiati" dal dottor Mortimer per indagare sulla strana morte del barone Sir Charles Bas...more
Rachel
In "A Study in Scarlet" a man is found dead in an empty house under rather mysterious circumstances that leave the authorities stumped. His traveling companion is found dead the next night adding to the mystery. It is the first Holmes mystery published and in addition to the actual mystery it recounts how Holmes and Watson met. I really enjoyed reading it mostly because it is one of the few Holmes mysteries I haven't seen a accurate film adaptation of so I didn't already know how it ended. I als...more
Susan
Saw this in a store and had to buy it. Contains two stories: the first Sherlock Holmes story, and perhaps the most famous (but third full novel). Finally gave me a chance to read Hound of the Baskervilles.

So, A Study in Scarlet is the story of Sherlock's first case after meeting Watson. The introduction was interesting, and then the case was pretty cool too. My only gripe was that the center, where we switch to the backstory of one of the characters, seemed a little long and out of place for the...more
Eri
Read this one in Slovak, to challenge myself a bit :)

I was curious to finally read some Sherlock Holmes stories after watching films and tv series. Divided into two parts, book is not as hard to read as other older literature, but still, I guess I'm stuck with very recent literature, because reading books like these requires bit of patience.

For fans of SH or other detective stuff - recommended. For mainstream lovers - get something easier or challenge yourself.
Alessandro Balestra
Questo libro contiene due delle più famose indagini di Sherlock Holmes, il geniale detective creato dalla penna di Doyle. In una cupa Londra di fine Ottocento Holmes risolve brillantemente il misterioso delitto dello "Studio in rosso". "Il mastino dei Baskerville" è invece il terribile demone che da secoli perseguita un antica famiglia inglese, un mistero che in apparenza rientra nel "soprannaturale"; la nebbiosa e tetra brughiera fa da sfondo a questa nuova indagine di Sherlock Holmes. Inoltre,...more
Tori Cochran
I was very confused by A Study in Scarlet because it was the second classical book I had read. About halfway through it switched to talking about what had happened,but I did not understand until the very end. Conversely, The Hound of the Baskervilles was much easier for me to understand. I was rather disappointed by who a certain person was.
Robert
Actually, I read these two in separate volumes about 30 years apart. I particularly enjoyed A Study in Scarlet. I had trouble putting it down to go to sleep at night Well-written. Interesting because it introduces Watson to Holmes and Watson introduces us to Holmes. It's also got a fascinating glimpse at the history of the American West. I think maybe this book should be read as a companion volume to Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage.

By the time I had the pleasure of reading Hound of the Bas...more
Nick
Jun 17, 2007 Nick rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the overstimulated
Shelves: fiction
I borrowed this rich old tome from a high bookshelf in the back room of my friends' house. Baskervilles and Scarlet are two great stories, and I believe two of the first ones Doyle put out there.

I always forget how these mysteries are put together. In Baskervilles, maybe there's a murder and a rumor, a rumor of a ghost dog. And Holmes goes from there. With Scarlet, we hop time and continents from England to Salt Lake City. The author really does a number on the Mormons.

Sherlock Holmes stories ar...more
Fernando Chavez
A Study in Scarlet / The Hound of the Baskervilles - I chose to read this for the summary reading list. And in my opinion one of the greatest detective books made. The book opened me to detective based books and interested into the subject since after finishing the book. Holmes with his fellow comrad Dr.Watson are on a story about one of Baskervilles family got killed. Therefore the with baskervilles regard they head for help. One of the servant's prepares a trip to see the detective to start th...more
Karina
An interesting diversion to London based run of the ,
Mill Sherlock Holmes story. This one goes to the settlement of Utah with the Mormon pioneers. Fictional but fun. Great read.
Melissa
I finished reading "A Study in Scarlet." It was a really surprising mystery, as it included a story within a story, all quite fascinating. I certainly would not have been able to guess "who done it."~~
And I've finished reading the whole thing. I enjoyed The Hound of the Baskervilles more than the first story. It had a lot of neat "creepy factor" and vivid descriptions. Never knew Watson was such a good observer and writer. ;) There were a few exclamations using the Lord's name in vain, however.
Kathy  Petersen
Actually, I only read The Hound of the Baskervilles in this volume. Having pledged to read all the Holmes in order of publication, I started with A Study in Scarlet in September.

Perhaps I have been influenced by the many film versions of the story, but the actual tale is nor as spooky not as mystery-laden as I remembered it. However, a trip to the moors is always welcome, especially in the innocent company of Dr. Watson and the intricate denouement by Holmes.
Eve
Reading Sherlock Holmes is like reading the bible - I find myself constantly saying, "oh, that's where that came from!" I believe that these stories hold up quite well and find myself really enjoying them. Mystery/detective fiction is definitely NOT my genre, but a little dip into a different pool does one good now and then. I'll be moving on to some shorter Holmes stories now, whic I'll intersperse with other reading.
Diana
Excellent to read the classic and compare it with my perceptions of the characters - both the old school PBS version my father was obsessed with and the newer modern BBC spectacular series. Loved the effect of the time period on sleuthing - previous mystery reads were primarily modern day settings (The Name of the Rose nonwithstanding). Lovely to see writing stand the test of time.
Anastasia Pickett
A Study in Scarlet-an interesting and tangled tale that was really interesting. I enjoyed journing through the mystery and getting to know Mr. Sherlock Holmes as well as Watson.
The Hound of the Baskervilles-I especially enjoyed this story. It did scare me at one point and for that I say good job. I really liked it and look forward to other works by Arthur Conan Doyle.
Clint
Wow. Doyle pretty much got it right from the start. The section of the book in Mormon Utah impressed me. It is just as vividly described and seemingly true to life as Doyle's Victorian London. This is as good as most of the stories and I prefer the short novel format. Doyle seems to be a better writer when he has a little more space.
Robb Nesvick
While it is fascinating to see how Holmes and Watson get their start, the books deviation to Mormon country (while interesting) can throw you for a bit of a loop. Great for first time Sherlock Holmes readers, but if your a fan, be prepared to leave Watson's narrative for some 40 pages.
Abrielle Tolle
Only read the Study in Scarlet, but it was from this copy. I adored it! I love Sherlock Holmes and after I saw the movie, I knew I just had to read the books. The only part I didn't like was the flashback, though I've heard when the book was published it was the most exciting part.
Ryan Killoran
I am a proud owner of this edition. I finished "A Study in Scarlet" and immediately fell in love with Doyle's writing and his characters. I'm currently (feb. 15 2011) reading "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and can't put it down in my hours off from work.
Charlotte Jones
I'd give this 4.5*s
Absolutely loved both of these stories but I preferred A Study in Scarlet more than The Hound of the Baskervilles. Looking forward to reading more Sherlock stories :)
Corbolicous
This two story book was amazing! I was sucked in from page one to the last page. I could not stop talking about the book after. Doyle is in my top three for all time favorite writers
Faith
I loved both cases inside this book. As always, I was on the edge of my seat reading these thrilling narratives by doctor Watson. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Erin O'Riordan
Do not construe my reading of 'A Study in Scarlet' as in any way condoning prejudice against Mormons or against any other religion. I simply enjoy Holmes and Watson.
Autumn
I think we all know what I'm going to say :)

Amazing!! I have no idea how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle thought of such a character, put he did an amazing job :)
Carol
I love Sherlock homes, period. These are two great stories, and I think the Hound of the Baskervilles is one of the most memorable of Holmes' adventures.
Stacy
Mar 24, 2012 Stacy marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jenn
I actually read these as part of a Sherlock Holmes complete collection. I have come to a late, great appreciation for Holmes and his creator.
  • Sherlock Holmes Short Stories
  • The celebrated jumping frog, and other stories (The World's best reading)
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • The Fisherman's Lady
  • David Copperfield, Volume I Of II
  • Tasuja
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: Wiki content for your Kindle
  • The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • Eleonora
  • The Song of An Innocent Bystander
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record...more
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II