Start by marking “Geographies of Identity in Nineteenth-Century Japan” as Want to Read:
Geographies of Identity in Nineteenth-Century Japan

Geographies of Identity in Nineteenth-Century Japan

In this pioneering study, David L. Howell looks beneath the surface structures of the Japanese state to reveal the mechanism by which markers of polity, status, and civilization came together over the divide of the Meiji Restoration of 1868. Howell illustrates how a short roster of malleable, explicitly superficial customs—hairstyle, clothing, and personal names— served to ...more
Published February 7th 2005 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Geographies of Identity in Nineteenth-Century Japan

Celeste
Oct 25, 2007 Celeste rated it liked it
Shelves: history, japan
David Howell looks at the ways in which identity--that is how the Japanese state defined people--changed from the pre-modern Tokugawa Shogunate to the modern Meiji era. I find the idea of "geographies" of identity interesting, although I think he could have elucidated the concept a bit more.
Chelsea Szendi
May 08, 2010 Chelsea Szendi rated it liked it
Shelves: japan
I like this new trend of spatial metaphors to think about history. I'm not crazy about "identity" these days, but I do appreciate Howell's emphasis on the institutional dimension of identity.
morning Os
Feb 02, 2010 morning Os rated it really liked it
I would assign the first chapter on the status order during the Edo to my Japan civ.
Daisy
Daisy rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Chi Pham
Chi Pham rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Albert
Albert rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2007
Ruby Wells
Ruby Wells rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Amy
Amy added it
May 17, 2007
AK
AK marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2010
Ana Marsh
Ana Marsh marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Linh
Linh marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Jacob
Jacob added it
May 31, 2014
GT
GT marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
julia
julia marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Shahanjapan
Shahanjapan marked it as to-read
May 21, 2017