Start by marking “Geographies of Identity in Nineteenth-Century Japan” as Want to Read:
Geographies of Identity in Nineteenth-Century Japan

Geographies of Identity in Nineteenth-Century Japan

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  3 reviews
In this pioneering study, David L. Howell looks beneath the surface structures of the Japanese state to reveal the mechanism by which markers of polity, status, and civilization came together over the divide of the Meiji Restoration of 1868. Howell illustrates how a short roster of malleable, explicitly superficial customs—hairstyle, clothing, and personal names— served to ...more
Published February 7th 2005 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Geographies of Identity in Nineteenth-Century Japan

Celeste
David Howell looks at the ways in which identity--that is how the Japanese state defined people--changed from the pre-modern Tokugawa Shogunate to the modern Meiji era. I find the idea of "geographies" of identity interesting, although I think he could have elucidated the concept a bit more.
Chelsea Szendi
I like this new trend of spatial metaphors to think about history. I'm not crazy about "identity" these days, but I do appreciate Howell's emphasis on the institutional dimension of identity.
morning Os
I would assign the first chapter on the status order during the Edo to my Japan civ.
Alex Napoli
Alex Napoli marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
GT
GT marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Jacob
Jacob added it
May 31, 2014
Linh
Linh marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Ana Marsh
Ana Marsh marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Dec 02, 2007
Amy
Amy added it
May 17, 2007
Capitalism From Within: Economy, Society, and the State in a Japanese Fishery Harukor: An Ainu Woman's Tale