Start by marking “Haunted New York: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Empire State” as Want to Read:
Haunted New York: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Empire State

Haunted New York: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Empire State (Stackpole Haunted Series)

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
More than 60 frightening tales Covers all regions of the state An entertaining look at supernatural phenomena in New York, including the ghost of a British soldier at Fort Ontario, Champ the Lake Champlain monster, the haunted castle of Captain Beardslee, spirits in Manhattan's oldest house, the alien abduction at the Brooklyn Bridge, and many more.
Published September 1st 2005 by Stackpole Books (first published August 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted New York

Aug 09, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I cracked a tooth. By the time I made it in to the dentist, I knew I was going to require some oral surgery. After visiting the dentist and receiving prescriptions for pain and antibiotics, I knew I was going to need some new reading: books which would allow me to drift in and out of them without a detailed plot. I went to Half-Price books and bought a few collections of ghost stories.

This book fulfilled my needs. I learned a few new ghost stories I hadn't heard about before. I was able to nap a
Chris Kenyon
Nov 17, 2015 Chris Kenyon rated it it was ok
Amateurishly written, this book is clearly meant for children or young adults. Although the origins of the stories were interesting, each one ended with a similar "maybe this place is haunted or maybe not... You decide". I was very disappointed.
Roberta
Jul 28, 2011 Roberta rated it it was ok
I was disappointed because I expected this to be a ghost book. The title is misleading. The subtitle, Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Empire State, is more accurate since a lot of the book is about Big Foot and UFO's rather than ghosts. The author even seems to think that there was something supernatural about the 1965 blackout although she doesn't mention the big blackout in 2003 so maybe she hasn't been able to decide yet if it was caused by UFO's or Big Foot.

Ghost researchers should not s
Jeb Card
Oct 10, 2007 Jeb Card rated it it was ok
One of a slew of thin local books on legends and hauntings, which have become the popular reservoir for folklore. This one at least appealed to me by having all sorts of Fortean and paranormal tales, instead of just ghost stories, which generally bore me to tears. All of the hairy hominid stuff was right from (and cited as such) Monsters of the North Woods.
Jax
Mar 24, 2015 Jax rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading about the various locations in NY that have unexplained & paranormal activity going on. I have friends & family that have had their own experiences (I as well), so it was interested to read about the history of these haunted locations. I look forward to visiting some of these old bars & restaurants in NYC that are known to have activity.
Lauraley Dilgard
Jan 14, 2011 Lauraley Dilgard rated it really liked it
I had fun reading this book while on a trip to visit relatives in New York. Anthing about Ghosts is fun. They had the TV series on tape so we watched them too while there. I would like to go back to New York and explore some of the locations mentioned in the book.
Karen
Sep 16, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
A good book. I like how the books was divided into sections by the areas of New York...I actually did further research on several of the things I read about in here.
Megan Weiss
Megan Weiss marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Karigan Pfalzgraf
Karigan Pfalzgraf marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Diane Dunham
Diane Dunham rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Delyla
Delyla marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Thelma
Thelma rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Sep 29, 2014
Jessica Giusto
Jessica Giusto rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Jadan Jackman
Jadan Jackman marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Armand
Armand marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Denise Stacks
Denise Stacks rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Travis of NNY
Travis of NNY marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Chelseae Regan
Chelseae Regan marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Jessica Folk
Jessica Folk marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Stackpole Haunted Series (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Haunted Virginia: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Old Dominion (Stackpole Haunted Series)
  • Haunted North Carolina: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Tar Heel State
  • Haunted Wisconsin: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Badger State
  • Haunted New York City: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Big Apple
  • Haunted Hudson Valley: Ghosts and Strange Pheonmena of New York's Sleepy Hollow Country
  • Haunted Kentucky: Ghosts and Phenomena of the Bluegrass State