Start by marking “Gears of War: Anvil Gate” as Want to Read:
Gears of War: Anvil Gate

Gears of War: Anvil Gate (Gears of War #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  890 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Continuing the saga of the bestselling game series!

With the Locust Horde apparently destroyed, Jacinto’s survivors have begun to rebuild human society on the Locusts’ stronghold. Raiding pirate gangs take a toll—but it’s nothing that Marcus Fenix and the Gears can’t handle. Then the nightmare that they thought they’d left behind begins to stalk them again. Something far wo...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gears of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gears of War

Michael
Review from Badelynge
The third book in the Gears of War series by Karen Traviss follows on directly from events at the end of the last book Jacinto's Remnant and is still building up to the finale of the video game Gears of War 3. Delta Squad and remaining Cog Forces have settled alongside the inhabitants of a sheltered naval outpost at Vectes. They maintain an uneasy truce with a group of Indie refugees who hold a valuable source of Imulsion. The two sides struggle to bury an enmity that burned...more
Kurtis Dix
Gears of War Anvil Gate
Karen Traviss
Gears of War Anvil Gate is the end of the saga it takes place on an island they named New Jacinto which is there last place humanity has hope to survive but once they get there they start to realize that the enemies the C.O.G. were facing before were nothing compared to the new enemies they’ve discovered lurking in the waters near New Jacinto. They’re barely getting by to start with but with bandits and these new monsters life is getting even harder for them i...more
Phillip Dimarzo
I'd been looking forward to reading the story of Anvil Gate ever since I played Gears of War 3 and especially after I finished reading the first two books. However, it just wasn't what I expected.

Following the pattern of the series, what happened at Anvil Gate is told via flashbacks, while in the present day humanity continues to struggle to survive. But unlike how I felt about Aspho Fields and Jacinto's Remnant, I had little to no interest in the flashback sequences. The story of Anvil Gate isn...more
Nikki Vanderhoof
These books are seriously so good. I already loved the GOW universe before I started reading the books, because of the games. But I'm absolutely amazing at how much the books add to the overall Gears story.

Hoffman is one of my favorite characters in GOW so this book was easily absorbed by me given that roughly half of the book goes back in the past to tell Hoffman's story of the siege at Anvil's Gate. It really is so fascinating to me to really get to see how things that have happened to these...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)

Roberto Ochoa
Este libro es mas complicado de leer que los dos anteriores de la serie, me costo mas trabajo por que la narrativa es un poco mas enredosa (también que el libro este en ingles, es el tercero que leo en otro idioma). La autora juega de la misma manera con los tiempos, pasado y presente, pero creo que en este son mucho mas historias de otros personajes que en sus anteriores trabajos en la saga (celebre mucho que metiera a Bai Tak en este libro, su historia es muy buena aunque breve).

La parte de Ho...more
Jack Hughes
Okay i know this isnt the first book in the series. I was given this a freebie from my girlfriend who knows only too well my love for Gears. (I also have an action figure of Marcus :D) As far as im aware this is the third book in the series. But even so, it didnt feel like i was jumping the gun at all because i already had a basic knowledge of the storyline. If anything this filled in the gaps between the 2nd and 3rd game, and for a person who has played the third game will know some of the new...more
Matt Cash
Note: This is the second book in the story arc between Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3, in between Jacinto's Remnant and Coalition's End.

Continuing the Vectes story arc started by Jacinto's Remnant, the CoG now have a new enemy in the Lambent- a new race of creatures that have no apparent goal, no obvious motive, and no pattern to exploit. The Stalks that the creatures emerge from make their first appearance here, albeit a very primitive form that shows up later in the series.

Traviss, once ag...more
Jackson Hampton
Gears of War: Anvil Gate is the 3 installment of Karen Traviss' Gears of War series.

The first part of the book follows Jacinto's Remnant quite nicely as they settle into a new location on an island. However, the current inhabitants have never seen Locusts. They're also not huge COG fans. In a way, it's sort of an homage to the American Indians. However, the Cog soon realizes they face a new enemy. The Lambant. They're like Locusts on steroids. And they explode! After destroying many fishing vess...more
Cherie
My ratings system is as follows. One star is GOOD. The book is entertaining, easy to read and you don't want to stop reading because something about the book is compelling you not to. Two stars is GREAT! This time the story is not only entertaining, but highly creative, unique, easy to read and hard to put down. Three stars is EXCELLENT. Here the book has all aspects of one and two stars, but now the book is thought and emotionally provoking. Four is AWESOME. This is the read that is not only cr...more
Charley
Book three in the gears of war series and it was amazing I'm actually running out of things to say about Karen Traviss because she is just an amazing writer and has captivated the true gears of war spirit.

Anvil gate is mainly about Hoffman and Baird. I always enjoy reading the prologue as it is just a snippet of what is going on through the characters eyes, it's one of those books you pick up and just can't stop reading, the action is just out of this world and explained in so much detail. Every...more
Adam
Great read, especially having read the first 2 books just prior to this one. The book continues the story of the world of Sera and the heroes from the games, expanding on their characters and providing more insight into each one. One of the things I liked about this was delving into the history of Hoffman and who he is. It provides a nice background for many of the decisions he makes in the current timeline. The nice thing about Karen Traviss' style in these books is that she provides all this h...more
Levi Tinney
The best of the Gears books, and one of Traviss' best books, period.

She made care about Hoffman and Baird, and the addition of two more factions solved the issue that faced the last book: namely, that COG vs Stranded just isn't that interesting. With another society, one traditionally at war with the COG, joining New Jacinto, and the new threat that the lambent represent, the book had plenty of the moral quandries and tough as nails combat Traviss is known for.

Happy to know that Traviss is writ...more
Matteo Pellegrini
Nuovo tassello nel vasto universo di GOW. Questa volta ci si concentra sul passato del Colonnello Hoffman e ci viene anche mostrato anche un Adam Fenix molto diverso da quello a cui siamo abituati.
Naturalmente il romanzo non dimentica di raccontare quello che succede nel presente, mostrandoci gli sviluppi della conclusione del secondo romanzo (il patto con i Gorazni) e la ricomparsa dei lambent.
Un romanzo da gustarci e che ci lascia in trepidante attesa del quarto romanzo, previsto per settembre...more
Carlos Emilio
Traviss does not fail to relay the world of Sera to the reader. Despite its similarity with our world, the situation in sera is almost visible if you have been following the saga. This capability to make the reader experience the world also translates to forming a bond with each of the characters.
Overall the Gears of War experience is pretty well transmitted to the reader and for fans of the series who have been following the games and books, this book helps to further understand each of the cha...more
Robertb
I thought this book was very well written. The story line was based off of a video game that i enjoy to play. Even though it doesnt deal with their main enemy, the Locust, it deals with the Locust's enemy and they have to stop them from blowing up oil rigs that they use for fuel. In the end I thought that the Gears got lucky when they found out that the Hammer of Dawn was still operational from the first Lambant encounter. This book is the prequal to the new video game that is out Gears of War 3...more
Wes Devauld
A good read, although the ending was a bit of a disappointment.

Throughout the previous book, and the first half of this novel, there are a lot of references to the unspeakable atrocities that happened at Anvil Gate. When the actual events are revealed, they are disappointing.

Besides that one shortcoming, the book is an entertaining read, and again follows the authors excellent pattern of two parallel timelines.
Greenwood1
RATING: have to gave 4 star but is more a 3.5/5

Very fun to read but compare of the world of GEARS OF WAR in that timeline of that book was way too slow of action scene was more a exchange between characters but very nice. where the problem was with this book was missing action it seem the urgency in the conversation between characters we will expect a bit more.

But again very good work by Karen Traviss
Kate
If you are a fan of the Gears Of War video games, you will enjoy this book as it adds depth/ back-stories to the characters of the game.
Andrea
This was a decent Gears book and flowed the best out of the series. I was a little annoyed that a good bit of it was from Baird's point of view (if you play the game you know he's annoying) but it surprisingly wasn't that bad. Interested to find out if another book will be in the works after the third game is released and what that story line will be like.

Lief
Finished in time before release of Gears III. Most interesting back story I enjoyed was how Hoffman became THE Hoffman in charge of the COG after E-day - by the end of the story, you get it. Well, I also enjoyed the Baird comical interludes of why everyone is so ignorant, but it appears that Baird is becoming a little more human ... cynicism notwithstanding.
Charlene
Before I started reading these books, I'd never heard the name Karen Traviss. Now that I have, and since I've been reading her Gears of War work, I can't wait to read more. She has captured the Gears characters beautifully, and given them a dimension in a way that the games just didn't have the leisure to. I can't wait for the next installment.
Gearsofwarchick31
This book was great! The previous title by Traviss was interesting but was kinda boring at times whereas this book was action packed the whole time! This book was a major plot revealer and it leaves you craving more Gears of War! I would recommend this book series to ANYONE who likes reading.
Ginger
great book. This book will give you a lot of back story on the main characters in the book/games. The books are still good without playing the games. You may miss out on some of the story but not enough to be confused.
Matthew
This was my favorite book out of the series. It does not take the time to go deep into the characters but rather it just goes right into the plot. Very good Video Game sci-fi book.
Iordanis Aslanidis
Better than Jacinto's Remnant but still the flashbacks narrative is not so smooth. Especially because this time the main story in the "present" is much more interesting.
Vito
Book was very good. It gives valuable information on the back story of each of the characters...a little light on the action for a book based on a video game series.
Henrik Kamstrup-nielsen

Not as great as the previous two books, but still entertained and nice tonhear the story about Anvil Gate. It sets up Gears of War 3 nicely.
James Rodgers

Solid Sci-Fi military action set in the Gears of War timeline. A must read for fans of the game and the first two books.
Benn Jones
Since everyone of these books as a double story format to them, this was by far my favourite of the present time stories.
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • Halo: The Cole Protocol
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Halo: Contact Harvest
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Dead Space
  • Resistance: The Gathering Storm
  • Fable: The Balverine Order
  • Halo: Cryptum
  • Halo: Uprising
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
#1 New York Times best-selling novelist, scriptwriter and comics author Karen Traviss has received critical acclaim for her award-nominated Wess'har series, and her work on Halo, Gears of War, Batman, G.I. Joe, and other major franchises has earned her a broad range of fans. She's best known for military science fiction, but GOING GREY, the first of her new techno-thriller series, is set in the re...more
More about Karen Traviss...
Sacrifice (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #5) Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #2) Hard Contact (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #1) Revelation (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #8) Triple Zero  (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #2)