Start by marking “Selected Poems Of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Kennebec Large Print Perennial Favorites Collection)” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was perhaps the most admired American writer of the 19th century, and his works were extraordinary bestsellers at home and abroad. Longfellow's immense popularity helped raise the status of poetry in America, and some of his works -- "Hiawatha," "The Wreck of the Hesperus," "Evangeline," "The Courtship of Miles Standish," and "Paul Revere's Ride" ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 645 pages
Published July 7th 2012 by Large Print Press (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems Of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems Of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

This volume of selected poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was a true delight to read. The shorter poems in the beginning of this book already blew me away with their beautiful language, and I found many poems that I want to memorize. The excerpts from The Song of Hiawatha were strange at best, but with Evangeline Longfellow won my heart. The Courtship of Miles Standish with its witty and funny tone was a nice closure for this volume. The longer poems gave women a voice and showed their intelli ...more
This volume of poetry was an enjoyable and inspirational read. While there are many controversies surrounding Longfellow's style and motivations, it cannot be denied that his work is wonderful and crafted well.

I could not locate my favorite compilation of his work on good reads. The antique books I collect are sometimes a challenge to locate and share, but here is the information.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Selected Poems Copyright 1967 By the Peter Pauper Press of Mount Vernon, New York. Edited
Dusty Rowland
Awesome! Some good reading here.
Longfellow is a pleasure, especially aloud.
Nice to "get back into" Longfellow. I taught only a few of his poems, and that was several years ago. I remember starting "Evangeline" and really enjoying the beauty of the language; don't remember if I ever finished it. See more here:
I enjoyed Evangeline, and the rest was fine but that was it, just fine. I expected more.

Longfellow seems more a recorder, an historian, than an artist. Everything carefully sculpted and fit into its mold. Certainly has his place, though.

Hey, it's Wadsworth. Can I add to the millions of words already said about the man. Think not. Won't not. Don't not.
The good ones are real good ones. Evangeline is thrill.
There are others, though.
Kristina marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
James Hill
James Hill marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Renan Virginio
Renan Virginio marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
lauren kellie
lauren kellie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Walter-andy smith
Walter-andy smith marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Kailey marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Tomas marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
  • The Collected Poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar
  • The Figured Wheel: New and Collected Poems, 1966-1996
  • Selected Poems
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Selected Poetry
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • The 100 Best Poems of All Time
  • The Complete Poems
  • Creating Poetry
  • Selected Poetry
  • Selected Poems
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...

“Great men die and are forgotten,
Wise men speak; their words of wisdom
Perish in the ears that hear them,
Do not reach the generations
That, as yet unborn, are waiting
In the great, mysterious darkness
Of the speechless days that shall be!”