Selected Poems Of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Kennebec Large Print Perennial Favorites Collection)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was perhaps the most admired American writer of the 19th century, and his works were extraordinary bestsellers at home and abroad. Longfellow's immense popularity helped raise the status of poetry in America, and some of his works -- "Hiawatha," "The Wreck of the Hesperus," "Evangeline," "The Courtship of Miles Standish," and "Paul Revere's Ride"...more
Paperback, Large Print, 645 pages
Published July 7th 2012 by Large Print Press (first published 1879)

Deb
I grew up in Longfellow's home town...I have many childhood memories encompassing his home (open for historical tours), my parents clipping articles out of the newspaper about Longfellow, walking past his statue more times than one could count, Longfellow Square as a local landmark...he is part of where I am from, and thus part of me. I had a lovely illustrated copy of The Song of Hiawatha (heavily abridged I think) as a child, a gift from my eldest brother. I wish I could find that book again....more
Janet Eshenroder
This was published in 1879. It is a family heirloom, a thick and over-sized leather-bound book that was one of the few things I eagerly claimed the moment the offer was made. For now, I only intend to read Hiawatha's story, since I feel the book must literally be handled with gloves.

Had I read this poem in school? Or was I just so familiar with excerpts of Hiawatha that it seemed I should have read it?

I loved the sound of this poem. The words rolled within my mind like gentle waves. A great pe...more
Angelique
This volume of selected poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was a true delight to read. The shorter poems in the beginning of this book already blew me away with their beautiful language, and I found many poems that I want to memorize. The excerpts from The Song of Hiawatha were strange at best, but with Evangeline Longfellow won my heart. The Courtship of Miles Standish with its witty and funny tone was a nice closure for this volume. The longer poems gave women a voice and showed their intelli...more
Jenn
This volume of poetry was an enjoyable and inspirational read. While there are many controversies surrounding Longfellow's style and motivations, it cannot be denied that his work is wonderful and crafted well.

I could not locate my favorite compilation of his work on good reads. The antique books I collect are sometimes a challenge to locate and share, but here is the information.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Selected Poems Copyright 1967 By the Peter Pauper Press of Mount Vernon, New York. Edited...more
Pewterbreath
Can't say I LOVE it--there's something about Longfellow that just screams Junior High English class--but at the same time he was THE most popular American poet for a very long time--it took Dickenson and Whitman to finally dislodge him from his throne. It's kinda a should read more than a want to read. Gotta say--so far, he's an EASY read (I mean for poetry Longfellow is pretty straightforward), and what he can do with sound is pretty amazing (see Hiawatha).
Jeremy
Nice to "get back into" Longfellow. I taught only a few of his poems, and that was several years ago. I remember starting "Evangeline" and really enjoying the beauty of the language; don't remember if I ever finished it. See more here: http://www.themundanemuse.blogspot.co...
Hey, Beth! I've added this to my Goodreads list in honor of your term paper on Longfellow - don't let it get you down! You can do it!

Longfellow's been one of my favorite poets (probably because I can actually understand his poetry) since my mom gave me an anthology of his poems when I was a kid!
Zcrowley50
I enjoyed Evangeline, and the rest was fine but that was it, just fine. I expected more.

Longfellow seems more a recorder, an historian, than an artist. Everything carefully sculpted and fit into its mold. Certainly has his place, though.

Rachael
This book belonged to Frank Shotwell from Cashmere, Washington. Brother to Grace Boyles, grandmother of Rebecca Baens. July 2011.
Fred
some of this unreadable, some famously misused as disciplinary implements, but the poems to his wife are to make a grown man cry
Jeffrey
Hey, it's Wadsworth. Can I add to the millions of words already said about the man. Think not. Won't not. Don't not.
Zepp
The good ones are real good ones. Evangeline is thrill.
There are others, though.
Ej1128lib
Day is done

Psalm of life

Music of the soul
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Dayna Smith
Dayna Smith is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Nick Miller
Nick Miller marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
*Masha*
*Masha* marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Rick Smith
Rick Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Paul Haspel
Paul Haspel marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Linda Chamiele
Linda Chamiele marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Kyle Henrichs
Kyle Henrichs marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
  • The Figured Wheel: New and Collected Poems, 1966-1996
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • The Top 500 Poems
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • The Odes of Horace: Bilingual Edition
  • Black Zodiac
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof...more
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere The Song of Hiawatha Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie Favorite Poems Poems and Other Writings (Library of America #118)

“Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us Footprints on the sands of time”
47 likes
“Let us, then be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labour and to wait.”
32 likes