Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)

Holiday in Death (In Death #7)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  16,881 ratings  ·  439 reviews
Futuristic cop Eve Dallas is back on the job. This time it's Christmas in New York, and all the lonely hearts are easy pickings for a serial killer spreading death through a dating service.
Published June 1st 1998 by Berkley Books (first published 1998)

Beanbag Love
In this installment of the wildly popular "In Death" series we find a madman dressed as Santa ringing doorbells and then raping and murdering the person who answers. It's Christmas and Eve Dallas is cranky. She doesn't need this.

Let me just get this out of the way. I find Eve Dallas to be one of the most loathsome female characters in any successful series going today. She is verbally and emotionally abusive to anyone who cares about her, including her hot husband. If I worked for her I'd reques...more
ElaineY
Despite the repetitiveness in some parts - Roarke's library, the dialog between him and Eve - I still enjoyed this installment. Not as good as the previous, Vengeance ID, but still enjoyable because of Robb's ability to keep the pace tight and zipping along like those futuristic cars.

It's getting predictable but I expected this when I started the series a couple of months ago so I'm not complaining just yet. Still, I hope I haven't spoken too soon as there were some lines that seemed taken right...more
Elvan
Back to back books about serial killers and the nastiness of these particular murders does not make this Christmas time book exactly festive.
Add incest and overall creepiness and it's a good thing Eve and Peabody go head to head on the shopping for gifts/not shopping during work hours debate. It's also nice watching Peabody and McNabb share their Christmas Eve pie.
Filipa
Catherine
I have to say, the serial killer in this book was disturbing. He liked to dress as Santa and rape and kill his victims. There was a jolliness to the murders, the way he staged them and the 12 Days of Christmas theme he was following, that absolutely creeped me out. I agreed with Peabody, the way he used a symbol of happiness and cheer to commit his crimes was perverted.

I really enjoy the way Robb easily weaves Eve's personal life in with her professional life in this series. That aspect was str...more
Bigd_041555
I didn't mind this book - it had everything I like: police procedural, serial killer, lots of Eve and Roarke plus they share their first Christmas together - Peabody meets Charles, McNab feels Eve's butt, Eve and Peabody have a falling out - Eve and Roarke place a memory in their new memory box!

A couple of things (besides getting the words wrong to the 12 Days of Christmas) stand out to me. Roarke says he will put the lights on after they decorate the tree - who does that? Lights go on first, th...more
Susan (susayq ~)
Another great installment in this series. It was nice to read a Christmas themed book in the almost summer :)

Roarke was wonderful - trying to make Christmas memories and traditions for him and Eve. Eve got on my nerves a bit in this book. She wasn't exactly nice to Nadine or Peabody. I think Peabody was right to tell Eve what she did about her date choices and I don't think she should have caved and apologized for being to harsh about it like she did.
Monica
This was a tough one. It has been the hardest case for me so far. Not only was there a serial killer on the loose, but he was sexually attacking his victims. This was rough on Eve. It brought all those memories from being a young girl and having a monster of a father (I can barely type that last word). This case really wore down on Eve and I think it also was rough on Roarke. This is the first time, and last I suspect, that I saw him worn out and wanting more sleep. I loved seeing the lengths Ro...more
Tina
This is the 7th in the In Death series.

It is Christmas time in future NY 2058.

Eve finds herself at the crime scene of a woman who was brutally raped and murdered. There is no physical evidence of the perpetrator because he thoroughly cleansed and sanitized his victim before giving her a makeover and leaving her with a temporary tattoo that reads "My True Love" and a pin of a partridge in a pear tree.

In reviewing the security discs, Eve sees that the murderer dresses up as Santa to gain entry. Ev...more
Wieta
A really good book (I read the Indonesian one)... Cannot wait for the next installment: Conspiracy in Death.
There are some annoyed misspelling; some sentences use repetitive words/words with the same meaning. Anyhow still I choose to get the next one ASAP rather than bothered with that editor matters.

This installment is really enjoyable. The Christmas scene (twelve days before Christmas), big Christmas party at Roarke-Eve’s, new improvement of ‘She-body’ and Mc Nab relationship and of course the...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I liked it. I have a hard time ranking these books. Was this my favorite? I don’t think so. However, in each book there is something new we learn about Eve and some new character growth. In this book a whole new appreciation for Eve’s problems Christmas shopping. This and her interaction with Peabody is certainly the best part of this book. Funny and moving for certain. The plot was a little weak and I’m a bit pissed that the payoff of the trading of gifts was saved for a short between books sto...more
Yz the Whyz
This was another delightful installment to the In Death series.

This time Eve has to solve a series of sexual homicides, running against time before the rapist/murderer strikes again. Still recovering from an earlier incident, she is she not fully physically recovered and the sexual nature of the crimes revives memories of her past. Still our intrepid detective is up to the challenge, taking on the world of Personally Yours, a dating service.

Plenty of fun moments with Eve's dilemma on how to han...more
~Megan~
I'm so addicted to this series....I didn't believe anyone when they told me how great it was.

I'm glad I got to this book in the series right at Christmastime. Even better than the mysteries in these books is the growth in Eve's character and her reactions to her ever-increasing "family". I loved her grumbling over what Christmas present to get everyone. Her moments with both Peabody and Dr. Mira were especially poignant.

As always, Roarke was perfection. Seriously, could there be a more understan...more
Kay Naughty Book Snitch
Eve Dallas' latest case involves dating services, ritualistic murders and Santa Claus. Yes, I said Santa Claus. The city's latest killer dresses as Santa to gain entrance to his victims' homes. When he gets into their homes, he rapes, sodomizes, murders, cleans, does their make-up and poses them. He also leaves a piece of jewelry in the "12 Days of Christmas theme with the victims.

Eve and her team, Roark, Feeney, Peabody and McNabb find out that all the victims used a dating servicce called Pers...more
Natalie
I know. I'm totally ridiculous. I literally can't stop reading these books. I'll pick up something else to read and within about 50 pages, be wishing for Eve and Roarke.

They aren't perfect. Occasionally I'll catch some typos and Mavis and Trina drive me up the wall, but they are so much fun.

I'm loving the addition of McNab to the cast. He's makes me giggle and he's quickly risen to one of my faves. Eve and Roarke are not my favorite characters in the whole world, but I still adore them. The mys...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Even the Christmas holidays are filled with death in this series! But I guess when you work as a Lieutenant like Eve in New York, you’re bound to meet a few dead bodies along the way.

HOLIDAY IN DEATH is another keeper! In this book, Eve Dallas finds herself in another jam, where a murderer is on the loose, approaching people in a Santa costume and binding and raping them before he kills them. Yeah, this person is a sick one.

And it’s Eve’s job to find the k...more
Ning
เล่มนี้ให้ความรู้สึกเหมือนเมื่อแรกอ่าน In Death

มีความรู้สึกร่วมให้ และแทบไม่มีการขัดใจในตัวละครเลย
เล่มนี้เป็น Theme Christmas
อีฟที่ทำงานสืบตัวคนร้ายไปด้วย ซื้อของขวัญไป น่ารักดี
จากคนที่ไม่เคยต้องซื้อของ เพราะคนรู้จักน้อย กลายเป็นต้องหาของขวัญเยอะมาก
แถมไม่มีเวลาอีกต่างหาก
แต่ขอบ่นนิดนึง ว่ามีให้ไม่ครบทุกคน (หรืออาจจะครบล่ะ แต่ไม่ได้กล่าวถึง)

ในส่วนของการทำงาน
อีฟ เพิ่งหายป่วยจากเล่มที่แล้ว ยังไม่หายดี แต่ก็พยายามรีบเร่งหาคนร้าย
จนตัวเองป่วยแทบไม่รอด
ต้องให้พ่อโร้คนั้นคอยดูแลใกล้ชิด น่าอิจฉามากมาย
(แ...more
Sabine
Es ist Anfang Dezember und Weihnachten steht vor der Tür - das Fest der Liebe. Roarke ist mal wieder geschäftlich unterwegs und Eve Dallas plagen Alpträume. Daher fährt sie an diesem Morgen ungewöhnlich früh ins Büro. Eigentlich ist sie nach einer Verletzung noch nicht wieder für den Dienst fit, doch als eine Meldung über den Funk kommt über einen Familienstreit und sie nicht weit weg ist vom Ort, fährt sie hin - und tappt direkt in den nächsten Mordfall. Eine junge Frau wurde vergewaltigt und e...more
Alex
HOLIDAY IN DEATH (Pub. 1998) is the 7th novel of the In Death series. I have read all of the books in this series and this is one of my favorites. I had somehow missed reading this one along the way, and picked it up because it's the holidays. I'm sure glad I did - it was a great read for a lot of reasons.

The author does a fantastic job of keeping the tension and suspense up, along with a fast pace. Robb also manages to give us strong characterization while she spins a tale of mystery and death...more
signorina Vei
'cause it's us against the world, you and me, against them all' _Westlife

Setelah cuti cukup lama karena menyelamatkan bokong kurus Summerset, letnan kita siap beraksi lagi. Disinilah dia, di musim dingin, menghadapi kasus pembunuhan bertema natal. Korban diperkosa secara brutal lalu dibunuh. Kasus pemerkosaan selalu menjadi lebih pribadi bagi Eve, mengingatkannya akan masa lalunya sendiri, sebelum ia menjadikan dirinya Eve Dallas. Setelah cuti cukup lama, menghadapi kasus pemerkosaan ini membua...more
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
Another great instalment in the In Death series. This time there's a killer on the loose with a thing for Christmas. Murder victim one is found with a partridge in a pear tree icon. Does that mean there are 11 more victims to go?

These books are so good. It amazes me how the quality never dips. The cast of characters steadily grew throughout the first three books, and now you just grow to love each character that much more with each book.

Roarke and Eve are in a good place, but Eve still struggle...more
Cata

O Natal é tempo de paz, amor e harmonia certo? Errado!

Algures em Nova Iorque a morte alastra pela mão de um Pai Natal (irónico, não?!). Este homem não se limita simplesmente a matar, não… ele droga a vítima, amarra-a à cama, tatua-a, viola-a, sodomiza-a e depois asfixia-a provocando a morte.

A primeira vítima é Marianna Hawley e tudo indica que haverão mais onze. Mas quem será o responsável? E porque o anda a fazer? É isso que a tenente Eve Dallas irá descobrir ao mesmo tempo que tenta evitar que...more
Steve
Another brilliant romp through New York in Christmas time with Dallas and Roarke, and it earns five stars just due to the fact that I could not put it down. There were a few moments that caused me to feel like what the book was describing was too wrong, but I got over that, and enjoyed the climax and resolution.
Jeri
It's Christmas time and Lt. Eve Dallas is tracking down another serial killer. She is only just recovering from an injury sustained in her last case, so it's lucky she has the sexy Roarke determined to look out for her welfare.

I love this series. Eve and Roarke are as great together as ever. In many ways it would be true to say that each episode is the same story, more or less, but it doesn't seem repetitive. We learn more about Eve and Roarke in each book, and Eve continues her growth and her a...more
Nae
4.5 stars.

I love that this book has the Christmas setting. Even though the crime is horrible, the way JD Robb, weaves the two different story lines into the one book is seamless. I loved watching Eve do her Christmas shopping.
Laine (librarianscanreadtoo)
Laine (librarianscanreadtoo.blogspot.com) Review:

"Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas to all. Spending the holidays along, again? What has happened to good cheer, and spending time with a loved one? Can't find him patroling around the bars? Then have a look at our site Personally Yours. Find the perfect fit for the holidays or your money back!"

Or dead. Dallas is confronted of the holidays and what they mean deep down to her, while facing a murderer that is somehow linked to the dating site Personall...more
Ellen (more books, please)
3.5, just like all them.

I should just do a Word doc for the In Death books. All well written, well edited. Same format. Gory murder, angst, sex, angst, murder, Peabody, Feeney, McNab, angst, sex, traffic, sex, Nadine, Mavis/Leonardo, angst, grrrrr Somerset, angst, sex, misdirection, sex, sex, Mira, enlightenment, brutal ending but Eve is victorious.

And I like them, I keep listening* to them. Nothing wrong with them. But gee, I just looked and there are like 37 of them. I don't know if I can do t...more
Kirsten Lenius
It's Christmas time and people are dying, one by one, horribly, their bodies decorated and adorned with an ornament representing one of the twelve days of Christmas.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas catches the first case and then the others, as it becomes apparent that it is a serial offender. The link? All the victims were clients of Personally Yours, a dating service owned by a brother and sister. The challenge is finding out who had access to the information and was using it to destroy lives.

Dallas is...more
Linds
I actually liked this until towards the end. In order to explain what took this from a four-star rating for me to a two-star one, I have to mention a few spoilers, so please proceed with caution.

(view spoiler)...more
Erica
Book seven in this series already, and another strong volume. The holiday of the title is Christmas, and in the run-up to this festive event there is another murderer on the loose. This murderer dresses up as Santa Claus, knocks on people’s doors pretending to bring them a gift, then rapes and murders them. Each victim is left with a token from the ‘Twelve Days of Christmas’ song, leaving little doubt as to how many people he intends to kill.
For Eve the whole thing is a little too close to home,...more
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Holiday In Death (Nov. 2013) SPOILER ZONE 96 38 Dec 08, 2013 10:44AM
Roarke 6 85 Sep 16, 2013 09:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate Cover request 17 32 Mar 12, 2012 01:36PM
Readers of Kindle...: Holiday in Death #7 2 8 Feb 01, 2012 04:32PM
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Sacred Sins (SS/BV, #1)
  • After Glow (Harmony #2)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline....more
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“It's more than you think it can be," she heard herself say. "It changes everything, and fixes everything that matters. Maybe you're never going to be the same, and maybe part of you is always afraid of what will happen if...but he's always going to be there. All you have to do is reach out, and he's going to be there.” 46 likes
“Eve engaged her On Duty sign and stepped out of the car. Immediately her ears were assaulted with a blast of music. Christmas carols pumped, full blast, into the air. She decided that people ran inside, ready to buy anything, just to escape the noise.” 8 likes