Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)

Hourglass (Hourglass #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  13,628 ratings  ·  2,165 reviews
One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Egmont USA

Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
21st out of 733 books — 3,260 voters
Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
41st out of 642 books — 4,224 voters

More lists with this book...

Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)
WARNING: This review will not be coherent and most definitely a rage as I am pissed. That is all.

Emerson: A short poem I have composed and to be sung to the tune of ‘Georie Peorgie,’ the first half and at the second half, to ‘Humpty Dumpty’ lies below. The rest of the verse is purely improvised. Mostly.

“Emerson, Emerson, barely foot five
Tried to be spunky and made the kids cry
She terrorized the readers and made them beg, “Emerson, be gone, fowl beast! Stay away!”
Until one day she fell was pushe

Arlene
Jun 22, 2011 Arlene rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of "that" book
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker Read
Cara
Jan 10, 2014 Cara rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: paranormal fanatics
Yes, I was one of the people slobbering over the cover and didn't pay too much attention of what the book was really about. Then I heard two words, time travel and I had no choice but to read it of course. I'm confused with my feelings for this one. The "feelings" I have are too all over the place. I loved some of things and some things really bothered me, but I will definitely be reading the sequel Timepiece.

Emerson is a 17 year old living with her older brother and his wife. When we meet her...more
Ashelynn
This review also appears on Gypsy Book Reviews.

Holy crap, I could not put down Hourglass! I downloaded the sample on my iPad and read the first three chapters twice before getting the book. (I really wanted a hardcover for this book. :P) When I started reading it, at chapter four, I got annoyed when anybody interrupted me while reading it. I was interrupted a lot because it was cleaning + moving horses day. Thus why it took me all fracking day to finish this story.

So, read Hourglass when your d...more
Nic
Favourite quote: "Most of what I say is complete truth. My edit button is broken."

I was excited to read Hourglass. I mean how could you not be with such an intriguing synopsis and gorgeous cover. And while I ended up really enjoying Hourglass I did struggled at the beginning.

The start was a bit slow for me. It lacked that something special that makes you get caught up in the story and care about what is happening. But half way through things changed and there was action, plot twists and chemis...more
YA Reads Book Reviews
Originally featured on yareads.com, reviewed by Kiona

This book blew me away – probably because I wasn’t expecting to fall so thoroughly in love with it. I went in thinking it was a ghost story, due to the summary on the back cover, but I was completely wrong. It’s a fantastic blend of paranormal and science fiction, at times reminding me of elements of Harry Potter and X-Men, both of which I love. Hourglass has so many great twists, some I saw coming and some that completely blind-sided me in th...more
Victoria Schwab
Review to come, but oh my can Myra write.

I have said and will say, I always want to be friends with her characters. Add to that the positively YUMMY boys, and a killer plot, and you have a WINNER.
Jodi Meadows
I shamelessly traded a pair of fingerless mitts for this ARC, and I'm really, really glad I did.

Here's a secret: I think about time travel a lot. Probably more than the average girl. (Probably not as much as Myra or her characters.) When it comes to time travel in books and movies, I can drive myself insane finding paradoxes and getting annoyed by characters who don't consider the consequences of their actions or use their ability to its potential.

Not so with HOURGLASS.

HOURGLASS fully lived up...more
Isamlq
I caught myself rolling my eyes at how hot she found him. Throughout the book, Emerson could not get over how good Michael looked. She was all, “His classic looks, his lips, his clothes, even his muscles (even saying his muscles have muscles!)” So, yes, there were plenty eye roll, head-meet-table moments. Then I realized I was being too critical and actually expecting it to suck. Once I recognized these, let go of some of my expectations, things got a little better. Yes, there’s a lot of the sam...more
~Tina~
Hourglass is the kind of book that took me by surprise, I hoped that I would enjoy it, but I never thought I'd love it the way I did.

Myra McEntire's writing is fierce and sassy, one of my favorite combo's. She gives such delicious flavor to the voices she's created and her time-travel concept was absolutely fascinating. She did a stunning job of making the plot really standout in a fresh, unique and mysterious way, only fueling my need for the second installment that much quicker.

I actually jus...more
Amy
This book was like Back to the Future meets Twilight meets X-Men. Loved it!! Full review to come soon!

Full review added 6/28/11. See my blog www.fictitiousdelicious.com !

I love storylines that are new and different, not to mention AMAZING, and HOURGLASS definitely fits into those categories! This book was at once fun, captivating, romantic, suspenseful, and hilarious. I love, love LOVE Emerson. I love that she can kick butt, I love her awesome ability (and the fact that it scares the crap out of...more
Kristi (The Story Siren)

Hourglass was an incredibly impressive debut.

I was captivated from the very first page. Emerson is an irresistible character, I loved everything about her. Her snark, stubbornness, selflessness.... vulnerabilities. She was a very likable character, and I don't think the story would have been that impressive without her. Her relationship with Michael was heartfelt and warm, it just felt natural, no insta-love for these two.

There were aspects of the novel that I didn't anticipate at all! And I don...more
Mariya
I could not stop reading Hourglass until I got to the last page. This book is a mix of romance, plot twists, and wicked mystery. I was so into this book I may have forgotten to go to sleep. So I stumbled upon this book and read the description and I was like what is this book about. It feel like the cover, book title, and book description is all a mystery of what the contents of this book contains. I was curious, so I had to crack open the book and once the book was open I could not close it.

Eme...more
Bonnie
'I'd never been as honest with anyone as I'd been with Michael.He made me feel safe, like I could be real - shattered and fragmented and wholly imperfect - even though he was the polar opposite. Intact, complete, fully perfect.'

And this is how she feels after a day. Uh-huh. Those types of lines was everything I found wrong with the book. A girl who sees ghosts from the past? Sign me up. Except what I got was a typical teenage girl who falls head over heels for some guy and CAN'T TALK ABOUT ANYTH...more
Christie
Jun 13, 2011 Christie rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of shows like Heroes
Emerson Cole began to see people that weren't actually there right before her parents passed away. Relying heavily on the ghostly visitors attire to discern if they were real or an unwelcome "blast from the past". Emerson's condition caused numerous embarrassing situations, as well as her eventual admittance to a mental hospital.

The Emerson we meet in Hourglass has come a long way since she was a ghost seeing patient at the local loony bin. She seems like any other teen girl, but really she has...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I absolutely love this mix of southern hospitality, snark, romance, plot twists, and mystery. Hourglass's fresh voice adds something new to the YA/Paranormal genre. I WANT MORE!
*review to come*

Full review- 6/20/11

What a fabulous debut! I absolutely love this mix of southern hospitality, snark, romance, plot twists, and mystery. Hourglass's fresh paranormal voice adds something new to the YA genre and left me wanting more.

I enjoyed getting to know each of Hourglass's characters, especially the ma...more
 Tina (Fantastic Book Review)
Addictive and refreshing, this time-traveling romance had me glued to its pages right down to the very last. HOURGLASS was a delightful surprise. I got so much more than what I expected - I was utterly captivated.

What's not to love about Emerson? This girl is a fighter. She's had to endure so much since seeing her so called ghosts. Coping with the death of loved ones, being committed into an institution, and now she must face the fact that maybe she's not crazy after all. With aid from gorgeous...more
Whitley Birks
See my other reviews at Whitley Reads

It takes quite a bit for me to DNF a book once I get past the first chapter. A merely bad book won’t do it; no, the book has to actively piss me off before I’ll put it down halfway through.

Hourglass pissed me off.

It was an accumulation of things, really. A line here, a subplot there, a logic hole over yonder. Each by itself would have made the boom mediocre, but as they all piled up, my patience wore thinner and thinner until seething rage just boiled over. I...more
nancy (The Ravenous Reader)
Hourglass by Myra Mcentire totally surprised me on how much I adored it and how amazing it was. The reason I believe I was so pleasantly surprised is because I went in believing this book was about a girl with the ability to see ghosts, nowadays a plot that isn't original, but I was nevertheless intrigued. So you can imagine my surprise that the concept of this book was something altogether different.

Hourglass is a story about Emerson Cole a teenage girl that has been plagued with ghostly appari...more
Misty
I'm not entirely sure what I want to say to you about this one. It had its high and low points, as all books do, and in the end it left me feeling a little middle of the road. I think a few years ago, I may have loved this, but now I feel so used to this story (even though I hadn't read it) that it didn't leave much of an impression.

Here's the thing: I find the ideas behind the book really interesting. I like timeslip novels conceptually because I find the whole thing fascinating. It's then down...more
Irisheyz77
I am a wreck. A complete and total wreck. This book has left me a jumbled mess and I spent a good 10 min willing more words to appear on the blank pages. This book is so f***ing unbelievable. Put it on your wishlist...you don't want to miss it!!! Because 5 stars isn't a high enough rating...

(full review to come)
Heather
Full review plus Hourglass ARC, jewelry and ring giveway at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com ends 4/18/11

I have been anticipating this book since I very first heard author Myra McEntire announce it on twitter, and can I just say what is there not to love about Hourglass? It is a-ma-zing. From the cover to the first page which contains my favorite quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, to the end which left me reeling with a mind full of impossible possibilities.

Snarky, sarcastic Emerson has just moved...more
Amber
Hourglass was fun, interesting and very well thought out. I anticipated reading this book and I'm so glad I jumped on it.It started a little slow at first but I think it is partly due to interuptions. The writing is easy to follow and the timeline of events is precise, well executed.

Quote:(PAGE 8,e-book)
"You know, Scarlett, Rhett didn't give a damn, and frankly, I don't either."

I loved that quote, reminding me of one of my favorite childhood movies. It was relevant due to the fact that Emerson...more
Amy Plum
This book sucked me right in and didn't let me out until the last page. (And even then, I wanted to linger with it for a while longer.) I love McEntire's sense of humor, and really connected with Em. And Michael and Kaleb...well, although they're both dreamy I always go for the bad boy. In books, of course. Thanks Myra McEntire for a fabulous read. I can't wait until Book 2!
Angela
Limited character development & stereotypical romance disappoint

In Myra McEntire's debut novel, Hourglass, seventeen-year-old Emerson has been haunted with apparitions of people from the past since right before her parents' deaths. When her well-meaning older brother brings in yet another "expert," Emerson expects another failed attempt to help her. Instead, she gets Michael, a gorgeous young man who believes her and thinks the visions are real. When Michael proposes that Emerson can harness...more
Lady Danielle
This book is all kinds of fucked up. and also my rant/review

Here's the deal, I'm going to let off my steam right now. So, this rant will be incoherent and flat out rude (well, not really rude, but very vulgar).
Hell, I might be very annoying. Read at your own risk; when I'm cooled off, I will write another review that's mature... deal? OK.

I honestly don't understand why authors feel the need to write insta-love, angst-y, and/or novels with a love triangle. I fucking don't. Why? Why? Why? Why? Wh...more
P.J.
Book 20 for 2010. There are so many awesome things about this book. Like time travel (that's really been logically thought out). And romance (that kept me on the edge of the page). And readability (I poured through it in 2 quick nights). This book is what happens when time travel meets the X-men, complete with Wolverine, Jean Gray, Cyclops, and Professor Xavier. And seeing as how I LOVE X-Men and how I love time travel, well...this book was right my virtual alley. Aside from one of the best cove...more
Cory