Start by marking “Opium Nation: Child Brides, Drug Lords, and One Woman's Journey Through Afghanistan” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  42 reviews
When veteran reporter Fariba Nawa returned home to Afghanistan—the nation she had fled as a child with her family during the Soviet invasion nearly twenty years earlier—she discovered a fractured country transformed by a multibillion-dollar drug trade. In Opium Nation, Nawa deftly illuminates the changes that have overtaken Afghanistan after decades of unbroken war. Sharin ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Harper Perennial (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Opium Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Opium Nation

Amy
This book needs a MAP. And a glossary. And a timeline. The author skips back and forth in time so frequently I couldn't keep track of what year each section (within a chapter) took place.

Despite frequently having to stop and Google a term, or a location, or getting confused on if it was 2001 or 2004 or 2003 etc, this book gives a lot of insight into a very complex country - particularly the difficulties with the opium trade and how eradicating poppy fields is not the answer. The author is right
Brendan
The information is nice, and the interviews and viewpoints are interesting, but the whole 'personal narrative' was a little saccharine sometimes, I feel like the reader would be aware without the author having to make it obvious. Gets really cheesy at the end, and the cheese doesn't seem worth the extra dead trees.
Paul Benkowski
Do you want to know what is going on in Afghanistan? So does everyone. Even folks who live in Afghanistan want to know what the hell is going on. Fariba Nawa was born in Afghanistan and moved to the US when the Soviets tried to take over the country in 1979. She is now a journalist who has traveled back to new country and the remains of her memory of that country. Opium Nation is the rare non fiction book that is both a general history of a region and a specific history of a woman returning to l ...more
Josh
This is one of the most touching yet informative book I've read about Afghanistan in a while. Probably at the top of my favorite books about Afghanistan. I think the books takes the audience on a journey that few foreign journalists or Afghan journalist could take them on. Many of the books I've read about Afghanistan are either the account of a foreigner introducing the country to other foreigners as he/she learns the country on a few-month-long trip or an Afghan attempting to convey the emotio ...more
This is a book worth reading,but it was not one which I could truly connect with. The book is tied together with the on-going story on a young "opium bride" name Darya,yet I found this story oddly uncompelling and uninteresting. The child never speaks for herself and in fact only physically appears a couple of times. Darya feels less like an individual person with whom we can empathize and more like a composite,or a projection of the author's own emotions and inner struggles. The book would have ...more
Once I got used to the writing style, I really got absorbed in the information. This is one woman's journey through Afghanistan, talking to opium farmers, traffickers, addicts, families of farmers and traffickers and even government officials who are involved in the drug trade. Some are involved both as traffickers and informants. Taken at face value, Fariba Nawa's story explains very well why the U.S. and allies cannot really make headway in training Afghan leadership for democratic style gover ...more
Camilla
I started reading this book because I knew that the author was speaking at the TEDx Monterey conference I was attending. As a speaker, she was compelling and charismatic; as a writer, she borders on cold and detached, even though the subject - and her homecoming to Afghanistan - is emotionally-charged.

The reality of child brides and Fariba's interactions with one such bride, Darya, do not play as much of a role in the book as I had anticipated. The latter two elements in her book title - drug lo
Tonya Burrows
Lots of great information on Afghanistan--the people, culture, history--but not quite what I had been hoping for when I picked up the book. Wanted more info on the drug trade and child brides and a little less family introspection. I'll admit, I ended up cherry-picking the chapters I wanted to read.

Not to say it's a bad book. It's not. It's very engaging--at times tense and at others, almost dreamy. If I had more time, I would have loved to read the whole thing cover to cover and probably would
Lori Watson koenig
This book really helped me understand Afghanistan and the people who live there. This was a painful book to read sometimes and I admire the author very much for her courage and clear vision.
Mylissa
Part personal memoir, part exploration into the industry that the author feels is holding Afghanistan back from recovering from years and years of occupation. Lots of educated people fled the soviet invasion, many people aren't educated now; the facts she puts forth regarding literacy in areas of the country are disheartening. A root cause of lots of the trouble? Opium, which doesn't require much water and the industry has built up through the years of turmoil. It's made some rich and others int ...more
Raphia
This book is about one women's journey through Afghanistan. Fariba explains how Opium, which is another word for drugs, originated around Afghanistan and other parts of the Middle East, she also talks about how Opium trade, can cause girls as young as the age of 10, to get married, because of their family debt towards the opium trade, they are often known as Opium Brides. Fariba also talks about her families's migration from her native country of Afghanistan to America, because of the conflict a ...more
Cecelia Hightower
Bill finished reading "Opium Nation" by Fariba Nawa. A non-fiction by a woman that left Afghanistan in 1982 when she was eight years old. Her parents decided to flee when Russia entered and they wanted to emigrate to Germany or the U.S. They ended up coming to America and she states she always felt she had left some part of herself in Afghanistan and wanted to reclaim it.

The book tells about her experiences when she returned to Afghanistan and what she discovered about the drug trade and how peo
Ahmad
The narrative out of Afghanistan is mostly dominated by Western authors and journalists. There is barely any input in the mainstream Western discourse about Afghanistan from actual Afghans. Fariba Nawa is one of those rare Afghan voices who understands both the West and Afghanistan, and therefore can write with an uncommon degree of legitimacy and intimate understanding of both worlds.

"Opium Nation" displays a cultural insight that generally doesn't come from "parachute journalists." Fariba's b
Esmael
Opium Nation is an interesting and informative book as it gives a better insight and a clearer, more accurate account of the drug trade in Afghanistan and the region and how it impacts ordinary Afghans, particularly women and children, including child brides . All this useful information is beautifully interwoven with the author's memoir and her life before and after leaving Afghanistan. Her sharing of personal experiences are both engaging and worthwhile for those who want to have a closer look ...more
Janika Puolitaival
Tartuin tähän vaikka alaotsikko ensin epäilytti, kovasti asenteellinen kirja? Sotatoimittaja Fariba Nawa onnistuu kuitenkin hyvin kuvaamaan maan nykytilannetta ja siihen johtaneita syitä. Päähenkilöksi valitun 12-vuotiaan "morsiamen" kohtalo jäi vaivaamaan pitkäksi aikaa. Kuinka paljon näitä tarinoita mahtuu yhteen maahan?
Alyssa
This book is wonderful for giving an insider's observations on the war and opium trade in Afghanistan. She was born and raised in Afghanistan and incorporates her personal experiences in the book, along with historical facts.
Like a couple other reviews mentioned, a map and timeline would've been helpful while I was reading this book. There are many times where the author jumps forward and back in time that I would find myself lost and need to reread a section to orient myself.
Overall, a very i
Lee
Very well written journalism. Delves heavily into the repatriation of the Afghan author, and also into the prospects of post-war Afghanistan. Does an excellent job of documenting the struggles of Afghan women, and the innocence of most involved in the opium trade. Also documents the extent of corruption in the Karzai government.

However, the author's views on drugs and drug prohibition are frequently ill-informed. All in all, works better as a book about Afghanistan than a book about Opium. Enjoy
Rachael Cain
Really great, if a little heavy on dates and background histories.
Claire
Fariba Nawa has written a fascinating book about her return to her homeland. I hadn't any idea there were more languages besides Arabic that read right to left - but Farsi and Pashto are that way.

As a newswriter, Nawa seemed to be better able to divulge information than the Balkan authors overall have offered me.

I especially liked this book, even if the topic was horrible, too - girls sold/married to drug lords for opiates.
Roshana
Great read. Thoroughly captivating book. The author has done a phenomenal job in walking the reader through her journeys into Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran, searching for herself and Daria. Fearless in her writing, Fariba has done an exceptional job of portraying her soul searching sojourn along with the nail biting episodes of escaping the Taliban in her quest to find a child bride. Kudos! Wished there was a map though, to follow along with her journey.
Laroy
I struggle when trying to rate this book because I thought parts were incredibly interesting, while others seemed either incredibly unnecessary or self absorbed on the part of the author.

I would have liked to hear more of the personal stories of families affected by the Opium trade and less about the authors own identity struggles. That is what is missing from this being a great book.
Katy
This book provided great insight into Afghanistan from the perspective of a native-born woman. I really enjoyed how she described the two worlds, American and Afghanistan. I was intrigued by the power play between drug lords and government; however it did drone on a little too much. All said and done I would highly recommend this book.
Pallavi Rajkhowa
A very insightful book and gives a vivid desciption of some of the issues facing Afghanistan. This book inspired me to do a painting named, ' Where the poppies bloom', which depicts the nexus between heroine and war.

Lindsey
Some good information, but the writing was so formal. When she "quotes" people, they speak in perfect paragraphs, using lots of transitional words. No one talks like that in real life.

It would have been better as a magazine article, so she wouldn't have to repeat so much information and rely so much on her personal narrative.
Yo Reader
The book starts with the author and then takes you into the whole aspects of drug trade and the author does a good job on talking about how drug trade can be both good and back, that was interesting.
Anybody interesting in human trafficking and child abuse should also read the book!
Trixi
Opium Nation was truly interesting and worth reading. I understand that region so much better now but, I do think my original, let’s say attitude, toward it still remains the same...Afghanistan can never be saved/modernized whatever but the author is still hopeful...
Ilaha Omar
Extremely informative read on the underbelly of the drug trade epidemic in Afghanistan. Harsh realities of government affiliation, civilian addiction and the child bride victims caught in the middle. The world should know the facts!
Alexandra Kocik
Interesting look at the devastating effect the opium trade continue to have in Afghanistan. Nawa is a journalist who encompasses her own experiences and family history to fill out this story and make the issue seem much more real.
Elizabeth
This book was really interesting. The author wrote about so many aspects of the history of Afghanistan. There were many things about the war that I had never read in the newspaper or heard in the news.
Celia
Good start, half way through I began to wonder where else the author could possibly take the story. I would have like less focus on her own experiences with her family and more about Afghanistan history.
writing style 2 7 Jun 26, 2012 02:18PM
  • To Live or to Perish Forever: Two Tumultuous Years in Pakistan
  • The Media Relations Department of Hizbollah Wishes You a Happy Birthday: Unexpected Encounters in the Changing Middle East
  • The Sewing Circles of Herat: A Personal Voyage Through Afghanistan
  • Meena, Heroine of Afghanistan: The Martyr Who Founded RAWA, the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan
  • A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan
  • Ant Egg Soup: The Adventures of a Food Tourist in Laos
  • A Thousand Sighs, A Thousand Revolts: Journeys in Kurdistan
  • The Cocaine Diaries: A Venezuelan Prison Nightmare
  • Tablet & Pen: Literary Landscapes from the Modern Middle East
  • A Woman Among Warlords: The Extraordinary Story of an Afghan Who Dared to Raise Her Voice
  • Paradise Beneath Her Feet: How Women are Transforming the Middle East
  • Patriot of Persia: Muhammad Mossadegh and a Tragic Anglo-American Coup
  • I Have Life-Raped, Stabbed & Left for Dead: Alison's Inspiring Story of Survival as Told to Marianne Thamm
Fariba Nawa, an award-winning Afghan-American journalist, covers a range of issues and specializes in immigrant and Muslim communities in the United States and abroad. She is based in the San Francisco Bay Area but has traveled extensively to the Middle East and South Asia. She lived and reported from Afghanistan from 2002 to 2007, and witnessed the U.S.-led war against the Taliban and al Qaeda. S ...more
More about Fariba Nawa...
Under the Drones: Modern Lives in the Afghanistan-Pakistan Borderlands