Start by marking “The Vignelli Canon” as Want to Read:
The Vignelli Canon

The Vignelli Canon

Published November 1st 2010 by Lars Muller Publishers (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Vignelli Canon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vignelli Canon

brandi
Jun 08, 2010 brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every designer should read this!
Here is the link

seeseesee
Jul 29, 2013 seeseesee rated it it was amazing
Massimo Vignelli designed this logo in 1968:

It is a classic, timeless logo. In the book Vignelli explains:

We are for a Design that lasts, that responds to
people’s needs and to people’s wants. We are
for a Design that is committed to a society that
demands long lasting values. A society that earns
the benefit of commodities and deserves respect
and integrity.

AmericanAirlines in 2013 is a bankrupt company and it has replaced Vagnelli's timeless master piece with this:

No one from AmericanAirlines rea
Stephen Huh
Mar 09, 2016 Stephen Huh rated it it was amazing
Every rule of design put into one book. Broad rules that don't restrict but just define good design. I re-reference it frequently. Easily applicable in many other fields.
Chris
Apr 07, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design-thinking
Important principles in here. Designers should be able to design everything "from the spoon to the city." I'll be referencing this book for the rest of my life.

Similar to Vignelli's designs, he's able to take complex systems and concepts and presents them in clear and concise ways in this incredible canon.

My favorite parts are on Grids and White Space. Not only are these elements intuitive, they're also the ones that Vignelli seems to stress the most in the canon.

Design is One.
Pat Davis
Jul 06, 2013 Pat Davis rated it it was amazing
Where many designers have a way of congesting their message with convoluted jargon, Vignelli cuts out the excess and only preserves the timeless practices of design. His methods are based in simplification, sometimes religiously so, and he is mortified by exercises that are not time-tested. The Canon is an excellent starter read for anyone interested in the essential elements of design.
Lieuwe Bergstra
May 28, 2014 Lieuwe Bergstra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
Great concise design book that you can read in less than an hour. Clear ideas about what should be the foundations of mostly visual design. It is dogmatic on some aspects such as typography, but honestly I do like the approach of brushing with broad strokes.
Vasily
Mar 12, 2017 Vasily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in what design is
Very short, yet great to read book mainly about simple principles of a good design.

I personally like the style such a books written in. It is short enough and leave the message to think about. So I would recommend the book to anyone interested in what design is.
Luca Bernardi
Jan 01, 2017 Luca Bernardi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
A masterful piece on design from one of the most influential design of our time.
Mr. Vignelli canons are very much based on his eclectic work in many field of the design but is especially focused on graphic design.
Despite most of his career, and therefor the content of this books, was focused on the pre-digital era of web and mobile design many – if not all – the principles can and should be applied to “modern” design.

Really the takeaways from this book is that design should server a purpose and
Raigo Lilleberg
Dec 31, 2016 Raigo Lilleberg rated it really liked it
Good summary of Vignelli Massimo's approach to design - Vignelli design principles.
Chris Chinchilla
Apr 19, 2014 Chris Chinchilla rated it really liked it

The famous Italian designer Massimo Vignelli allows us a glimpse of his understanding of good design in this book, its rules and criteria. He uses numerous examples to convey applications in practice - from product design via signaletics and graphic design to Corporate Design. By doing this he is making an important manual available to young designers that in its clarity both in terms of subject matter and visually is entirely committed to Vignelli's modern design.

About the Author

Massimo Vign

Alex
Nov 03, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"I like design to be semantically correct, syntactically consistent, and pragmatically understandable. I like it to be visually powerful, intellectually elegant, and above all timeless." - Vignelli

That quote 100% sums up this book. Both Massimo and this book are brilliant; there is no reason not to read it. It's only 100-pages and it's free: http://www.vignelli.com/canon.pdf

Read it.

READ IT!
Una Theia
Feb 14, 2012 Una Theia rated it it was amazing
Nu mi se pare deloc o carte doar pentru designeri.

Trebuie s-o citească toți. Pentru a înțelege ce înseamnă bunul gust, decența, eleganța, pertinența, logica, rațiunea chiar a tot ce înseamnă imagine, a tot ce înseamnă design.

Oferă soluții pentru designeri. Și oferă puncte de vedere (de atenție, de luat în considerare) pentru fiecare.
Darina
Nov 28, 2016 Darina rated it really liked it
Succinct and to the point, yet opinionated, Massimo Vignelli's canon is a recommended read for anyone interested in design.
Although a bit dated, it covers all the basics: from principles to the concrete by emphasizing meaning, economy and standardization.
And everyone can find it online for free!
Sean
Feb 09, 2013 Sean rated it it was amazing
Provides a glimpse inside the mind of one of the important figures of modernist design. I found it fascinating and can't help but applaud the designer's steadfast adherence to his modernist ideals. Interesting and educational.
Christian
Jun 25, 2016 Christian rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite reference materials of all time. Vignelli is wonderfully candid and goes in-depth on his creative process, even if you're not a purest when it comes to design, his perspective is fascinating, insightful and eloquent.
Win Goodbody
Feb 22, 2016 Win Goodbody rated it really liked it
It never gets old listening to Massimo Vignelli opine on which fonts to use.
Aras Atasaygın
Dec 24, 2013 Aras Atasaygın rated it it was amazing
Great book. Absolutely a must read for designers.
Azad Azadi
Aug 13, 2013 Azad Azadi rated it it was amazing
An interesting book on typography, including many of author's personal believes regarding rules of this practice. I enjoyed reading it and strongly recommend it.
Rosie Pringle
Jan 03, 2016 Rosie Pringle rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-theory
Vignelli pissed me off in design school with his absolute declarations, but his adages ring truer the longer I stay in the biz.
Maryna Aleksandrova
Jan 15, 2015 Maryna Aleksandrova rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-design
Great book! This book will walk you through main graphic (and not only) design principles with clear examples illustrating each word of the book. Read if you need to refresh or learn.
Kai Yao
Feb 14, 2013 Kai Yao rated it it was amazing
Very good. Explained the basic concepts of design with some some harder facts. Overall I found it useful for understanding the principles of design.
Tré
Mar 04, 2015 Tré rated it it was amazing
Amazing. I have a feeling I will look back on my portfolio and be able to draw a clear line: work from before I read Vignelli's Canon, and after.
Sebastián Romero
Apr 26, 2013 Sebastián Romero rated it it was amazing
A must read for designers
Jess
Sep 07, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it
I expected this kind of writing, thinking and discipline from Massimo. Beautiful read and insight into his process.
Dan Douglas
Dan Douglas rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Wynne Chan
Wynne Chan rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2011
Lil
Lil rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Matej Latin
Matej Latin rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Noir7
Noir7 rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
  • The Language of Graphic Design: An Illustrated Handbook for Understanding Fundamental Design Principles
  • Symbol
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Thoughts on Design