Pecked To Death By Ducks

Pecked To Death By Ducks

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  872 ratings  ·  45 reviews
In his latest tour of the earth's remote, exotic, and dismal places, the author of Road Fever and A Wolverine Is Eating My Leg, sleeps with a grizzly bear, witnesses demonic possession in Bali, and survives a run-in with something called the Throne of Doom in Guatemala. Vivid and outrageously funny.
Published September 1st 2003 by Black Swan (first published 1993)

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyThe Ugly Duckling by Jerry PinkneyJonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard BachThe Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix PotterThe Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White
Water Fowl
49th out of 88 books — 29 voters
Desert Solitaire by Edward AbbeyPilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie DillardWalden by Henry David ThoreauSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonA Sand County Almanac with Other Essays on Conservation from ... by Aldo Leopold
Some Great Books on Nature
122nd out of 135 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Rex Fuller
Halfway up the face of El Capitan, Yosemite, the climbing partner above him needs to relieve himself. Tempting the glacier to ice-bomb his kayak in Glacier Bay, Alaska. Finding his snowshoes ineffective going up the White Mountains, New Hampshire. Nightly dancing his version of the lambada–the “cowboy” lambada–to music from a radio hooked to a car battery with a shy teen girl high up in Peru’s Andes. Taking paragliding lessons “to float upon the wind, high above the mute and pitiless clay.” Cavi...more
Heather
It took me forever to finish this book -- and I can't really figure out why. I like it, it's interesting, funny, and well-written. It just failed to... capture me. I suspect that I'm not terribly familar with personalities like TC's. When I read travel memoirs, they're usually more Bill Bryson-esque -- inept people falling over logs -- or Tony Horwitz-esque -- passionate intellectual dorks mixing humor and social commentary.

In contrast, I suspect TC has a beard. An unironic beard. I suspect ever...more
Bookworm Smith
This book has a number of pros and a number of cons. My opinion flip flopped from good to bad as I read through the 300 or so pages. I eventually settled on a Do Not Read...although there were many parts I really enjoyed...so it's a very tentative Do Not Read. In other words, I might recommend it to a specific person but not to everyone I know.
The title is what initially drew me in. Pecked to Death by Ducks - that sounds funny. Then I noticed a comment on the cover comparing Cahill's writing to...more
Scott Bischke
Recalling this book from long ago, loved it as I seem to love most of Cahill's writing. He has a great knack for capturing the essence of being in the outdoors, often focusing on adventure in the outdoors, in a unique and insightful and fun(ny!) way. Here's an example:
---
What happens in the woods is this: The mind is forced to deal with certain niggling but elemental details. Those things we take for granted--shelter, food, basic conveniences, comfort, brute survival--require all our attention a...more
Nathan James
tim cahill is my favorite travel journalist. Yes, he gets all macho sometimes, but mostly he digs into the humor and the genuine belonging he finds with the people he pulls these stunts with for a paycheck. He may go into war torn or gang torn parts of the world to get a story, but he comes out of it writing like a poet every single time. If you're not sure what I mean, get this book and read Baja by Kayak, page 172.

They get swarmed by wasps, they tip into the Pacific, they get lost after dark...more
Wendell
This book has been on my “to be read” list for a long time. Too long, as it turns out, just like when you leave a bottle of wine in the closet for ages because you’re “saving it.” At a certain point, it’ll never be as good as it might have been had you’d opened it in good time. Not only do several of essays in this collection show their age, but there is a sameness to Cahill’s writing– to his observations, his commentary, his sense of humor – that wears more than a bit thin. Pecked to Death by D...more
Heather
I'm not sure why I didn't like this book more. It seemed great "on paper"...it's a collection of essays about traveling around the world, and I usually love that type of thing. It's funny at some parts and very serious at others, which I also like, and it really made me think. Cahill provides an interesting blend of facts/research with personal anecdotes. For some reason, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would (perhaps it was my mood?), but I still found it worthwhile.
Obornys
I read this book because I like Tim Cahill, and because of the crazy title. The author does a lot of writing for "outdoorsy" magazines. Knowing that about the author made this book that much more believable and added to my enjoyment of it. Personally, I don't think you can fully enjoy a travel novel if its overly embellished. If ya like mountain climbing, spelunking, para-sailing, falconry, kayaking, or anything really cool, you should read this.
Valerie
This collection of worst trip ever essays, is inspirational in its theme, what not to do.
Steven Williams
This book helped me realize my dream of one day owning a llama ranch.
Meadow
My favorite title of all his books.
Tracey
Tim Cahill is a guy lucky enough to be sent out into various parts of the world, experience outdoorsy types of activities (usually with some level of danger) & get paid to write about it.

The book is divided into sections called "The Unnatural World", "Tooth & Claw", "The Natural World", "Other People's Lives" and "Risk" -- giving the reader a good overview of his travels & experiences.

Cahill is an adrenaline junkie - several of the essays revolve around rock climbing/rope work, but...more
tea_for_two
Pecked To Death By Ducks, Tim Cahill's third collection of travel essays, is an interesting, if uneven read. Cahill is well travelled - the book contains stories about places ranging from the South Pacific to Europe to Central America to Antarctica to the wilds of America. He is also an avid climbing and caver, and many of his stories provide a look at activities I know little about. However, like many collections of essays, especially collections by the same author, Pecked To Death By Ducks suf...more
Seth Madej
The magazine pieces in this collection, which are mostly too short to be satisfying in book form, deal less than I expected with travel and more with the outdoors and adventure sports. Unfortunately there are very few things less interesting to read about than someone else's hikes and camping trips. Even stories of rappelling, parasailing, or skydiving mostly all boil down to "I was in a situation in which I should've been falling, but some sort of equipment prevented that." But Cahill's a skill...more
John Humber
The title is the most mildly amusing thing about this book. That it has no connection whatever to the content is close to deception in my view. Like others here I was expecting something at least mildly amusing; it's not. It's well written, yes, but not amusing.

The book is collection of travel-related tales which were written for various magazines. All through, even though I'd never heard of Tim Cahill, I kept on getting a "this is very familiar" feeling as I read. It is familiar. The stories ar...more
Reenie
Highly enjoyable, both for the writing, which was excellent, and the general tone of the attitude toward the various adventury things that the author is doing: "yes, they're kind of crazy. Possibly very crazy. And you are allowed to think I'm insane. I think I'm a little insane too, it's okay."

Makes it much better than it could have been, had it gone with preachiness about how everyone needs to get out of their comfort zone and get the blood flowing.

Instead, I will sit in my comfort zone, and a...more
Sharon
In fairness, I only read a few stories in this book. It's a collection of short stories from all over the world, the author present in all of them. The stories are fine but I can't seem to get into it. Perhaps I'm simply in novel mode right now. The stories are adventures, for the most part.

The broad categories in the book, per the contents page, are: The Unnatural World, Tooth and claw, The Natural World, Other People's Lives, Risk. I'm ready to move on to a novel and am passing this book alon...more
Mads
I like it when Cahill is in a cave, inching his way forward in the dark or hanging from a rope on El Capitan, because the resulting prose has a bite in it. The more fearful the situation, the meatier his prose is for me. The Marquesas and Bali pieces seem too tame--too blissed-out--in comparison--but after all the dangerous situations he's placed himself in, I figure the tropical island pieces are his rewards--and I enjoy reading the man enjoy his rewards for a job well-done.
CJ
Seriously, how was I not going to pick this book up off the bargain shelf?

Turns out, it's an early 90's travel/adventure essay collection by a former editor of Outside Magazine, which is so totally up my alley that I occasionally found myself making plans to try some of his crazy stunts before remembering that I am an out of shape clutz who once broke her leg trying to flintstone-stop a snowmobile. Perhaps I'll just pick up another of Cahill's books...
January Carroll
Jul 11, 2008 January Carroll rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All and sundry
Tim Cahill's writing is one part Pat MacManus and two parts Hunter S. Thompson's journalistic writing. The prose is lovely and rich, and the wit varies between sardonic and self-deprecating. which makes the book both poignant and wildly hilarious. All of his books that I have read (with the exception of "Buried Dreams", which gave me nightmares)are wonderful and thought provoking.
Chris
It is brilliantly funny and clever reflection of reality as perceived by a traveller that is really living his life to the full. He can see the irony of life and is so realistic about it, as well as himself and in the way he describes his interactions with others, that you feel you have lived life through him.
Lizpeveto
Tim Cahill is a travel adventure writer and this a compilation of short stories which he published as magazine articles. Bizzare, high risk, or who would think of this idea; plus some thoughtful descriptions of people and places.
Bethany Stoelting
Hilarious, fun, informative, short stories that are a must read when traveling or even to feel as if you´re traveling when at home. Loved it! Cahill paints such incredible pictures with his words, a true artist of literature.
William
A good variety of Cahill whose rating would have been higher had I read it twenty years earlier. It still ages well, however, and Cahill's reputation as a humorous and quirky travel writer is well earned.
Jeanne
A collection of essays mostly from his "outside magazine" days. Most were very entertaining. What a life this guy leads! As a book it was nothing outstanding but made for a nice change of pace
J.C.
A nice collection of non-fiction nature and travel essays mostly written in the late 80's and early 90's, so some is a bit dated, but the writing is good quality.
Angie
I picked this up based solely in the title; not what I expected but I really enjoyed it. Kind of like the early 80's male version of Eat Pray Love.
Charlotte
These are the best travel/adventure books ever. Very funny, fascinating, incredible and true. What a life Cahill has led!
Cathee
So many stories so little time to pick a favorite. Cahill always keeps the pace and laughter in any of his reads!
Cory Talbot
A collection of travel magazine articles and essays. Funny and, often, irreverent. He's a good writer.
  • Into the Heart of Borneo
  • The Bird Man and the Lap Dancer: Close Encounters with Strangers
  • To Hellholes and Back: Bribes, Lies, and the Art of Extreme Tourism
  • By the Seat of My Pants: Humorous Tales Of Travel And Misadventure
  • Running the Amazon
  • The Lunatic Express: Discovering the World... via Its Most Dangerous Buses, Boats, Trains, and Planes
  • Malaria Dreams: An African Adventure
  • There's No Toilet Paper . . . on the Road Less Traveled: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure
  • Zarafa: A Giraffe's True Story, from Deep in Africa to the Heart of Paris
  • Adventures of a Continental Drifter
  • Cruelest Journey: Six Hundred Miles To Timbuktu
  • Video Night in Kathmandu: And Other Reports from the Not-So-Far East
  • The Flight of the Iguana: A Sidelong View of Science and Nature
  • Continental Drifter
  • Tony Wheeler's Bad Lands (Lonely Planet)
  • A Fez of the Heart: Travels Around Turkey in Search of a Hat
  • The White Nile
  • Whose Panties Are These?: More Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
Tim Cahill (born 1944 in Nashville, Tennessee) is a travel writer who lives in Livingston, Montana, United States. He is a founding editor of Outside magazine and currently serves as an "Editor at Large" for the magazine.
More about Tim Cahill...
Road Fever Jaguars Ripped My Flesh A Wolverine Is Eating My Leg Pass the Butterworms: Remote Journeys Oddly Rendered Lost in My Own Backyard: A Walk in Yellowstone National Park

“It was a great place to run red lights, which I count as a fine recreational activity.” 1 likes