When Your Lover Is a Liar: Healing the Wounds of Deception and Betrayal

When Your Lover Is a Liar: Healing the Wounds of Deception and Betrayal

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Have you ever been lied to by a lover? In this straightforward and supportive book, therapist Susan Forward profiles the wide variety of liars, shows you how to deal with the lies -- from the benign to the lethal -- that these men spin, and gives practical strategies to stop them before they ruin your relationship and, ultimately, your life.

Once you find out the truth abou...more
Published December 22nd 1999 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1999)

Michael Andersen-Andrade
This is one of the books that helped open my eyes after leaving a relationship with a sociopath liar. It is an important book for anyone who is in the healing process and who needs help in understanding the reasons people get entangled in a web of lies and the psychology behind the compulsive liar.
Anne
Not a pleasant book at all, but if you have ever taken a tango with a sociopath, this does help restore.
Marcy Goodfleisch
Another outstanding book by Susan Forward! If you have been in a relationship with a pathological (or even periodic) liar, you need to read this book. Only someone who had lived with a deceptive or secretive partner knows the feeling of losing your mind at the same time it appears you're losing your relationship.

Forward helps clarify what is true, honest and sane compared to the things that are sham, fraud and simply crazy. She also helps warn those whose partner may be a sociopath to get out,...more
Kayceey Greer
Very good feedback on emotional toll that having an untruthful mate can take. Provides some insight into identifying differences in lies of commission vs. lies of omission. Decent read, practical tools to understanding patterns of deception.
Michellesuf
Worth reading for anyone who has been betrayed by someone you thought you loved. Especially, if you thought they loved you. Excellent recovery recommendations, responses, and scripts to remember who you are.
Holly
This book was really a ..."good read" (pun intended!) :-) It was very difficult for me to read, but very helpful in realizing some things.

A quote from the book REALLY stuck with me.

"Even if we yell and scream at them when we discover that they lied, once the dust settles, most of us will opt for the comforting territory of rationalization. In fact, many of us are willing to rewire our senses, short-circuit our instincts and intelligence, and accept the seductive comfort of self-delusion.”

I trie...more
Amy Covington
Very helpful in recovering from a very traumatic breakup. My fiancé was a con man and a sociopath. Luckily I found out before we married. The descriptions of why men lie and then how to heal from betrayal were very helpful to me. Thanks to Susan Forward for an important book for those of us who have been victims of men who discard a woman's feelings like useless trash. I will be ok thanks to this book and to a terrific counselor!
Janelle Westfall
Particularly good chapters regarding recovery from an abusive relationship with a narcissist/socio/psychopath.
Anna
Where is it?
Jerell
Jerell marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Kirsty Lewis
Kirsty Lewis marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Betty Wharton
Betty Wharton marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Billie
Billie marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Kaerina Altamia
Kaerina Altamia marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Shar
Shar marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Thea Bautista
Thea Bautista marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Kathleen Huddleston
Kathleen Huddleston marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Jim Stagg
Jim Stagg marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Rana Sanchez
Rana Sanchez marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
One of the nation’s leading therapists, as well as a best selling author, dynamic lecturer and frequent talk-show guest. In addition to her private practice, she has served as a therapist, instructor and consultant for many Southern California psychiatric and medical facilities. She is the author of the #1 New York Times best sellers Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them and Toxic Parents...more
More about Susan Forward...
Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation, and Guilt to Manipulate You Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them : When Loving Hurts and You Don't Know Why Mothers Who Can't Love: A Healing Guide for Daughters Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting Your Marriage

“Love is a verb, not a noun. It is active. Love is not just feelings of passion and romance. It is behavior. If a man lies to you, he is behaving badly and unlovingly toward you. He is disrespecting you and your relationship. The words “I love you” are not enough to make up for that. Don’t kid yourself that they are.” 552 likes
“MAKING THE LIE MAKE SENSE:

When denial (his or ours) can no longer hold and we finally have to admit to ourselves that we’ve been lied to, we search frantically for ways to keep it from disrupting our lives. So we rationalize. We find “good reasons” to justify his lying, just as he almost always accompanies his confessions with “good reasons” for his lies. He tells us he only lied because…. We tell ourselves he only lied because…. We make excuses for him: The lying wasn’t significant/Everybody lies/He’s only human/I have no right to judge him.

Allowing the lies to register in our consciousness means having to make room for any number of frightening possibilities:

• He’s not the man I thought he was.
• The relationship has spun out of control and I don’t know
what to do
• The relationship may be over.

Most women will do almost anything to avoid having to face these truths. Even if we yell and scream at him when we discover that he’s lied to us, once the dust settles, most of us will opt for the comforting territory of rationalization. In fact, many of us are willing to rewire our senses, short-circuit our instincts and intelligence, and accept the seductive comfort of self-delusion.”
335 likes