Start by marking “Amelia Earhart: The Turbulent Life of an American Icon” as Want to Read:
Amelia Earhart: The Turbulent Life of an American Icon

Amelia Earhart: The Turbulent Life of an American Icon

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When Amelia Earhart disappeared over the Pacific in 1937, she was at the height of her fame. Fascination with Earhart remains just as strong today, as her mysterious disappearance continues to inspire speculation. In this nuanced and often surprising biography, acclaimed aviation historian Kathleen C. Winters moves beyond the caricature of the spunky, precocious pilot to o ...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade (first published November 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Earhart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Earhart

Alaina Morales
Not the best written book. The author did a poor job guiding the reader through the chronology of Amelia's life. At one point she explained an event occurring on September 12 and then said "several weeks later on September 21" uh, that's 9 days lady. It lacked a narrative, and seemed to state the events of Amelia's life with little insight or story-telling skills to enhance the boring bits.

Before, I was always in awe of Earhart and the mystery of her last flight, but now, I find that I am apath
Tricia
Winters, an aviation historian and licensed pilot, provides a very well written and detailed account of Earhart's life. Her delivervy is clear and even, with no attempt to provide an over-heroic view of the famous woman but instead share the facts of her difficult family life and criticisms of her lack of flight skill/hours. Some accounts of Earhart's marriage blame her husband George for the rushed final flight---however, using first hand sources, Winters discounts this idea. While I've not rea ...more
Shannon
Jan 06, 2012 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aviators, those interested in history
Recommended to Shannon by: Ancaster library
Shelves: history
An interesting and quick read that does not buy into any of the wild ideas about Amelia Earhart's disappearance. Kathleen Winters, herself pilot and aviation historian wrote knowledgeably about the era, placing Amelia's accomplishments alongside the accomplishments of other pilots of that time. Unfortunately, the author died in August 2010 so I cannot look forward to further volumes from her and will have to look up Anne Morrow Lindbergh: First Lady of the Air.
Ali Freedman
I was drawn to this book because I don't know much about Amelia Earhart and I was interested in learning about her disappareance. I was surprised to find that her notoriety was mainly because her husband, publisher George Putnam, promoted the media frenzy that surrounded her. It was not her aviation talent that made her a celebrity. In fact, when she set a world record of being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic ocean - she traveled with 2 male pilots and she never even touched the fligh ...more
Leslie
Winters' biography of Amelia Earhart is well-researched and tries to provide a more balanced view of Earhart and her accomplishments than has often been given. However, she does belabor her points in places and while readable, frankly, Amelia Lost by Candace Fleming is far more entertaining and intriguing (it's written for children). That said, Winters' primary focus is Earhart's life and her piloting skills, not her disappearance.
Tara
Very readable, liked the pace. Didn't know much about Earhart prior to picking up this book and was surprised to learn that she was far from the best pilot (male or female) of the era and had originally achieved fame for simply being a passenger on a transatlantic flight.
Kelly Krabappel
Loved this book! First book I've personally read about Amelia Earhart that paints her as a human being and not a infallible idol.

Well written. Couldn't put it down.
Becky
Didn't finish. moved too slowly. Didn't hold my interest.
Suzanne Bierlein
Suzanne Bierlein marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Vasty
Vasty marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Lief
Lief is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Brennan Murray
Brennan Murray is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Anne Capezza
Anne Capezza marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Llamb91
Llamb91 marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pilot and author Kathleen C. Winters recounts Anne Morrow Lindbergh's adventurous life and flying career in her new biography, "Anne Morrow Lindbergh: First Lady of the Air." The book received good national press, including a starred review from Kirkus Reviews. See Kathleen's web site, www.kathleenwinters.com, for more information. She lives near St. Paul, Minnesota. "
More about Kathleen C. Winters...
Anne Morrow Lindbergh: First Lady of the Air