Resistance

Resistance

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  746 ratings  ·  134 reviews
Ryan's relationship-phobic, preferring to live his life from one anonymous hook-up to the next. He never remembers a name, and he never goes back for more. But then he meets Jayden, the one-off who won't get out of his head, his life -- or, indeed, his bed.

Ryan remains in a denial, however; he has no place in his life for emotion or feelings, despite how much difficulty h...more
Published August 2010 by Loose Id

Gigi

Wow, what was I waiting for with this one, which was released over 3 years ago? No one ever recommended this book to me and it was never on my radar but it was a perfect read for me and I loved it to pieces! It's a 5 star read and I put it on my favorites shelf. It could very well be a fuck yeah 5+ stars book, but I gotta save that shelf for the books that kick my ass and throw me off a cliff like Point of No Return and The Final Line and more recently Training Season.

The synopsis is accurate bu...more
Christina Marie
Just a few 11 things.

1. Why didn't I read this sooner? Why didn't I know this book even existed?! This book is what's been missing from my life.

2. I'm exhausted from staying up well past my bedtime to read this.

3. For real. It's probably perfect. It was for me anyway. I think this book is my soul mate.

4. The characters have oodles of personality, and I wish they were real. Even the secondary ones. So I can smother them in love. Like this:

description

Lovable MCs +
Short (too short, dammit) =

Delicious!
Heidi Cullinan
This book deserves a better review than I have time to give it just now: the short version is, this is an excellent story. Hot sex, intensely real characters, both funny and touching. If you like meaty, honest stories with real plot but have a hard time with angst turning your story sour, you want this story. Real conflict, real men, real love. Real storytelling skill.

(If you love angst, you will still love this story. Some of us are just picky bitches, and this one is for us especially.)

Sorry,...more
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
3.5--I Can't Decide if I Liked This Book or Not--Stars!!!

I had a hard time with the writing style and the POV that the book was written in.

And Ryan...

I really didn't like Ryan at all.

Ryan is relationship-phobic. As a result of events from his past....he keeps people at a distance, he doesn't let anyone in, he definitely doesn't do love.

While out on the prowl, Ryan meets Jayden and makes him his next conquest.

But Ryan has rules. No kissing, no spending the night, no getting personal and no com...more
MareTara SLiTsReaD Reviews~Lover of all things MM~Sarcasm Junkie n Kissing SLut~
01.10.14

2ND TIME AROUND AND IT WAS EVEN BETTER THAN THE 1ST...GOOD GOD THIS BOOK COULD BE MY UNDOING!

This review was posted:

www.facebook.com/slitsread

5 THOSE.KISSES.MELTED.ME.AND.SHATTERED.ME.AND.THEN.PUT.ME.BACK.2GETHER.STARS

WOW WHAT A FREAKING AWESOME RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW

THIS STORY WAS AHMAZING!!! AHMAZING!!! DO YOU HEAR THAT???? AHMAZING!!!!!!

1.ANGST
2.ANGST
3.KISSES
4.THE BLOW YOUR MIND, DONT READ THIS AT WORK SEX SCENES
5.KISSES
6.ANGST
7.THE BLOW YOUR MIND, DONT READ THIS WHILE FOOD IS ON THE...more
Breann
This has all all the things I love. ALL THE THINGS I TELL YOU!!

It's basically perfect. I've had it recommended to me at least 3 times and I was "meh & shrug". WHY? Why was I "meh & shrug" when Resistance is all the things?!?

I officially recommend this to everyone because of reasons:

1. Jayden. Ugh, Jayden. So, Ryan has issues (to say the least) with all his rules about relationships, or the lack-thereof, in his life. Jayden? Jayden doesn't care a whole hell of a lot about Ryan's 'rules'....more
Ami
Jenni Lea
What a delightful little story! Thanks Ann for the rec. This was funny and heartfelt in turns. Definitely a keeper.
Chris
Sep 10, 2010 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: orannia
Shelves: 2010, done, ebook, owned, gay, romance
3.5 stars. Really good m/m romance about a bouncer who never hooks up with the same guy twice as part of not feeling and not getting close... until he does hook up with the same guy more than once, which scares him and sends him running. This had me sniffling more than once and I would've rated it higher, but... it's (slightly inconsistently) in third person present, which kept pulling me out of the story.
Amanda
This book ended up being soooo gooood. I was contemplating buying it, then sat on it for a while after buying it. I finally plunged into it and whooo hooooo holy crap sweet hot nibblets.

The thought of a super slutty character totally turned me off at first but I ended up loving Ryan. The book is filled with a crap load of angst, drama and some scorching hot sex scenes. Like rip our clothes off, button popping, biting, hallway wall slamming sex scenes. I would recommend the book just for the sex...more
Kassa
Resistance is an angst filled emotional ride but worthwhile and fun to read. The story is third person present tense, which is not always a popular choice. The writing is good enough and the characters interesting enough to overcome this for me and the flow eventually settles into a nice pace that keeps the action moving along. There is a lot of navel grazing, woe is me internal whining but this is always offset by characters that are level headed, intelligent, and sympathetic. Overall an engros...more
Valentina Heart
Mar 02, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone except maybe Dane and Camila
Recommended to Valentina by: Sean
Shelves: glbt
This is actually an amazing book. Right from the start you really don't know who you're infatuated with more, Jayden or Ryan. While Ryan is unapproachable and kind of an ass, you still feel for him and want to experience his change, and Jayden has such a bright and open personality it's very difficult not to want to know more about him.
Their whole relationship as we get to know it, is basically a game. When one is willing the other is not, but all of it is so charged with emotion (though someti...more
Cory
hmmmm...well I just started dating Travis Atwood this morning and I think I just broke up with him for Jayden. :)

This was a fun read about Ryan trying his hardest to resist Jayden, but he didn't really stand a chance. I thought Jayden was adorable and I loved the dialogue between him and Ryan. Definitely worth reading!
Adriana
Going directly to my favorites pile.

Some reviewers say that they hate Ryan... I'm sorry to disagree but I loved Ryan from the start, I don't care that he is a slut, he is an awesome friend, he doesn't lie and you have to forgive him because he is kind of "broken", Jayden wins my hearth too because he is persistent, weird and pretty much perfect for Ryan.
The plot of the book is great, the sex is hot and the characters (main and secondary) are really good.

I'm so happy with this!

:D
Morgana
I'm so going to read this book again someday! I freaking loved everything about it! Humour, angst, likeable characters - both the main and the secondary ones, interesting and captivating plot. Oh, and let's not forget the scorchingly hot sex! Yummy! And when you add to this the wonderfully sappy epilogue, it was impossible for me not to be swept off my feet! I loved, LOVED this book!!

Do I recommend it? Hell, yeah!!

5 stars, no less!
Smith Barney
SO what we have here is a slightly edgier rated RR Lifetime Mens Network movie in the making. It reminds me of one of those short LTime 2-hour movies into some other mofo's dramatic life you somehow found yourself watching on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Heidi Cullinan
Read this at the recommendation of Sarah Frantz; not disappointed. Turner is a skilled wordsmith, using POV and even tense carefully (and deliberately) to create mood. Unusual and intense characters, and not your usual plot. Very much enjoyed.
AE
Jaden is my hero. So big, strong and an iron will to put up with Ryan's crap. But I have to say I love Ryan too! Great story! Sweet, fun and the right amount of angst! A MUST read! Loved the dysfunction of the whole cast of characters!
Chrys
This clip of Jensen sums up Jayden :)

Instead of reviewing this book, can I just write sonnets about Jayden? Loved him from the start. I liked Ryan too, but his issues made me want to smack him not-so-gently. The wit in the story, combined with the characters (both main and secondary) had me smiling goofily most of the way through. The book was written in such a way that I didn't want to put it down. Not just edge-of-your-seat-what's-gonna-happen? But also this-is-just-so-good-if-someone-interrupts-I'll-go-Hulk-on-their-ass. Of cour...more
Barks & Bites
4 1/2 stars. I had serious doubts about this one once I read the first few chapters. Ryan was the guy terrified of a relationship, who sleeps around with any willing partner. This normally puts me off for good. But this one was written so well, with its characters behaving so realistically that I understood why Ryan constantly sabotaged himself and his chance of true love. I hated him for it, I'm not gonna lie, but I think he hated himself even more. Jayden was terrific Loved his character and t...more
Amy ♥
My first book by L.M. Turner! I enjoyed it even though parts of it frustrated me. I found myself wanting to grab Ryan (several times) and shake some sense into him. I get that he has a past and he has abandonment issues. Dude, seriously, how many chances do you think Jayden's going to give you? And answering Jayden's call when you're having sex with someone else? Not cool man...
Tina ⽊ Special Agent Smut Monster of the Pentagram of Death ⽊
Apr 19, 2014 Tina ⽊ Special Agent Smut Monster of the Pentagram of Death ⽊ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tina ⽊ Special Agent Smut Monster of the Pentagram of Death ⽊ by: Gigi
God, this book was kinda sad while having incredibly funny, heartfelt moments and amazingly wickedly hot sex.

Ryan is a utter train wreck. I mean, messed up and stubborn and scared and doing stupid things because of it. And Jayden is almost too good to be true. So patient and persistent until he just can't be anymore.

I was satisfied with the amount of making things up to Jayden that Ryan had to do. While I feel confident in their HEA I feel like it's still gonna be a bumpy road. Loved all the su...more
Alyosha
3.59 stars rounded up because the characters were so engaging and their drama so addictive I read it at one sitting.
Shelley
For the most part I enjoyed this book. I loved the humor and the characters were all well written (if some were a bit of a cliche). The plot was pretty straightforward and I liked both the MC's.

Here's the thing though (you guys know when I say that it's about to go down lol)

(view spoiler)...more
Kaje Harper
This is a straightforward story about a commitment-phobic guy, Ryan, who is so determined to stay out of relationships that he never has sex with anyone twice. And the sweet, sexy man, Jayden, who makes him want to break that rule. And who is, for some reason, interested enough in him to work for that, and give him more than one chance to do things right.

I liked the characters a lot, I liked that Ryan's backstory was plausible but not horrible. His friends, especially his roommate, Olivia, whom...more
Yvonne
4.5 Stars I must say I put up little resistance to this book because once I started I had to read it all the way through. It's not like this was a suspense novel but there's something about watching commitment shy Ryan's efforts to stay uninvolved with Jayden that made me have to know, what's going to happen next.

Ryan has lived happily by the rules of one night hook ups and no repeats for years. When he stumbles across Jayden one night he thinks it's more of the same, but he quickly finds out J...more
Mely
read kindle sample. If this author didn't start out writing J2, I will eat my hat. I don't know if I have a hat. My theoretical hat is safe anyway, because this author *totally* started out writing J2.

... Okay, read full e-book. Jensen Ryan doesn't do relationships, only hook-ups. Somehow Jared Jayden gets past all his reservations and rules. It doesn't hurt that all of Ryan's friends are rooting for him, including Daneel Olivia, Chris Kane Eddie, and Mischa I-forget-his-story-name.

This has mor...more
Sunne
This was actually more fun to read than I imagined.

It's a bit different and has two really entertaining MCs with the addition of nice and well developed sidecharacters.

First of all, it's written in Present Tense which might annoy some readers but didn't faze me. It added some kind of presence to the story, made it more active and fit very well with the Ryan, who seems to be in movement all the time anyway, searching for the next fuck and not calming down at all.

Now he meets Jaden, who is hot as...more
SueM
A good contemporary M/M romance featuring Ryan, a bouncer who only ever has hook-ups, never relationships, who never goes beyond a one-night stand; until he does with Jayden.

Ryan's character is a jerk; he is selfish and has little self-restraint when it comes to sex - he sees a guy, wants him, uses him and moves on without regret. Yet beneath that shallow exterior, there is a glimpse of something more. It is shown in his care and protection of Olivia, his roommate, and in his friendshi...more
  • Take My Picture
  • At Piper's Point
  • Mark Cooper versus America (Prescott College, #1)
  • Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1)
  • Life After Joe
  • Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela
  • Racing for the Sun
  • The Ghost on My Couch
  • Breathe (Breathe #1)
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid #2)
  • Dance With Me
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
  • Blindside (Blind Faith, #3)
  • Truthful Change
  • Admit One
  • All's Fair in Love and Advertising
  • Collision Course  (Florida Books, #2)
The Subtle Build of Perfection

“I don’t know anything about heartbreak, but I think that was something close, and I know the heart only breaks when you’ve given it to someone else. When you’ve trusted someone to care for it, keep it safe. When you’re in love.” 9 likes