Start by marking “A Woman Like That: Lesbian And Bisexual Writers Tell Their” as Want to Read:
A Woman Like That: Lesbian And Bisexual Writers Tell Their

A Woman Like That: Lesbian And Bisexual Writers Tell Their

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The act of "coming out" has the power to transform every aspect of a woman's life: family, friendships, career, sexuality, spirituality. An essential element of self-realization, it is the unabashed acceptance of one's "outlaw" standing in a predominantly heterosexual world.

These accounts -- sometimes heart-wrenching, often exhilarating -- encompass a wide breadth of backg
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Woman Like That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman Like That

Darlene
Sep 05, 2010 Darlene rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in feminism or 'herstory'
Recommended to Darlene by: I can't remember it was so long ago.
Disappointing. That is the best adjective I can find to describe this book. I felt like I was reading a textbook, expected to highlight and take notes but didn't know what the test would be about. The first half of the book lacked personality. All the stories read the same. No passion for life; just dull. I don't know if the editor over edited, or if these women knew each other and had no defining style, but it was BORING!

The second half of the book seemed to lack that same editing flair. In fac
Lauren
A Woman Like That is quite depressing. There are, admittedly, a few gems scattered throughout — stories that pierce the heart with a sense of recognition and a feeling of community with the writer, and exhilaration or empathy (sometimes both) for her trials — but too often there is a dull, relentless pain that permeates the tales of this anthology. Maybe this is the editor’s intention. Maybe, in efforts to exhibit the “full scope” of lesbian experiences, that continuous pain is welcomed, and the ...more
Sarra
This book is hard to review, the stories are personal revelations by the authors, however they weren't particularly interesting. While I sympathize with the difficulty many of the writers had with coming-out, I can't put myself into their place so I think that is where the disconnect lies. I imagine this is probably on my bookshelf because of the story by Elizabeth Lorde-Rollins. I went to high school with her brother and remember him as one of the first boys I ever kissed.
Tera
Overall this book was a great read. A unique anthology that's worth reading again!
Although these stories were incredibly personal, I found myself unable to relate to several of them and even lost interest in a few as I wondered where the author was going with their story. However, it was an overall good read. The proof, I suppose, is evident from my markings throughout the book and my interest in the authors works beyond their contribution to this literary work.
Meckell
Read this book years ago. I absolutely agree that some of the stories were difficult to follow and hard to finish, however, there were a few gems that made it worth it. Pat Califia has such a way with words... "coming out begins when we recognize, in a stigmatized Other, something of ourselves" *swoon*
Katlet
Always reading to find myself. Maybe to figure out who I am. Each story was inspiring in its own way. I enjoyed getting a glimpse into queer life of earlier years.
nicole
great book-read it years ago.
A. Thurman
Jan 20, 2010 A. Thurman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Library
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
M
M marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Animelove24 Brown
Animelove24 Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Hannah Harrod
Hannah Harrod marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Kayla Bashe
Kayla Bashe marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Helen Wagner
Helen Wagner marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
  • Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out
  • Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World
  • Chloe Plus Olivia: An Anthology of Lesbian Literature from the 17th Century to the Present
  • Dear John, I Love Jane: Women Write About Leaving Men for Women
  • Bisexuality and the Eroticism of Everyday Life
  • When We Were Outlaws
  • The Whole Lesbian Sex Book: A Passionate Guide for All of Us
  • A Restricted Country
  • Look Both Ways: Bisexual Politics
  • Normal: Transsexual CEOs, Crossdressing Cops, and Hermaphrodites with Attitude
  • The Femme Mystique
  • Once upon a Dyke (New Exploits, #1)
  • Not Vanishing
  • Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women's Love and Desire
  • PoMoSexuals: Challenging Assumptions About Gender and Sexuality
  • Out of the Past: Gay and Lesbian History from 1869 to the Present
  • The Bisexual's Guide to the Universe: Quips, Tips, and Lists for Those Who Go Both Ways
  • Compulsory Heterosexuality and Lesbian Existence
Gay and Lesbian Poetry in Our Time My Body: New and Selected Poems A Long Sound Cold River Glad Day: Daily Affirmations for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender People