Start by marking “The Inflammation Syndrome: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies, and Asthma” as Want to Read:

Early Acclaim for The Inflammation Syndrome
"Challem's new book hits a home run-with the latest research on what to eat and take to defeat our real number-one cause of health problems-inflammation. It's a message of the utmost importance."
-Jean Carper, New York Times bestselling author of Stop Aging Now! and Your Miracle Brain, and columnist, USA Weekend magazine
"Treating
Paperback
Published December 31st 2003 by John Wiley & Sons (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Inflammation Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inflammation Syndrome

Rachel B
Dec 11, 2014 Rachel B rated it it was ok
This book was disappointing.

There were many typos, which is frustrating in any type of book, but especially disconcerting when the book is on a scientific subject like this one.

I also did not appreciate that the author kept referring to the evolution theory as fact, with no references cited. If you're going to claim that you know the earth is millions of years old, and you know everything about people who lived tens of thousands of years ago, you had better have some solid evidence to back up y
Lisa  Schlottmann
My version doesn't say AARP but the rest of the title is the same, so just assuming I read a book for older people, but hey I feel old so who knows! Anyways, the AI diet is basically only eating the things that God created (more or less, you know - no processed food that doesn't look like its natural form). So it's all good in theory but will be really hard to practice I think. I am going to try it for the 14 days like suggested but I am not sure I can permanently live without normal bread and ...more
Caitlin
Oct 17, 2012 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very informative (if repetitive)book written by a nutritionist whose main goal is to explain how to combat inflammation that is a cause for a whole host of illnesses. His information was compelling. I was a little uncomfortable with the fact that he is not a doctor, but he did steep his explanations with science. Aside from changes in diet, a main focus is nutrition supplements. He names a host of them with explanations of how they promote health. My only concern is, can you combine ...more
Rachel
A bit too technical/doctor-speak for my liking, this book was pretty much a much more in-depth look at what I previously read in "Anti-Inflammation Diet for Dummies." Mr. Challem's diet varies slightly from the Dummies version in that it follows more of the Paleolithic caveman diet that has become so popular lately. I get that organic is healthier for you, but it is also more expensive and with the cost of grocery products rising every day, it is sometimes hard to justify the cost. Also as much ...more
Heidi Cullinan
Mar 03, 2012 Heidi Cullinan rated it liked it
Shelves: health
I enjoyed this more in the beginning than the end. I appreciated being educated on the potentially inflammatory foods, but midway in the book became less about education and more about the particular way the author believes we all should eat. Which seems to be the way of most of these kinds of books: they eventually turn into Join My Religion. It also becomes far too restrictive. If I hadn't known so much already on my own, I would have walked away from this book feeling discouraged and ...more
Linda
May 22, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book includes some pretty loose science (e.g. it works on viruses, so it might work in people) and treats associations with results as if they were causative. The author also repeatedly cites one particular pricey manufacturer of supplements, making one quite suspicious about product placement contributions.

He also cites pretty much the same supplements for everything that ails you, so the content of the book could be realistically condensed into a single page (or truly, even just one sente
Susanna
Jun 22, 2012 Susanna rated it it was ok
I bought this book because I've been testing positive for inflammation for years with the (ultrasensitive) Protein C Reactive test. For the past six months there was a big jump and the doctor's only advice is to lose weight (which makes sense), followed by a shrug.
I did my first research on the internet and bought nutritional supplements, which actually match all the ones the author suggests. So I don't feel it was necessary for me to have read this book, as I learned nothing new. Perhaps docto
Cheryl
Jun 05, 2011 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Junk. I'm supposed to get all my protein from animal sources??!! Nothing on the roles of stress, exercise, sleep, exhaustion. Only a little on the role of infection. Food-scare tactics - all these diseases are supposedly caused by unknown food allergies or food addictions to healthy foods (is that really true? I could be allergic and addicted to foods like paneer tikka masala that I crave and consume once every two months!) I love tomatoes but might only have them a few times per month, it's ...more
Hannah
Jan 24, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it
Challem does a succinct job of outlining how the foods we eat (or rather, do not eat) can affect our body's ability to regulate inflammation. The first chunk of the book reads like a fast-forward version of Omnivore's Dilemma, esp. the section on corn (ha ha). As for the recipes at the end, eh, they seem kind of dull but still, serve as good jumpstarts for your culinary creative juices!
Diane C.
May 20, 2014 Diane C. rated it really liked it
This book gave me much food for thought in my increasing mindfulness to eat in a non-inflammatory way. Paints things with a broad brush now and then, but over all very good.

A powerful indictment of "value added" foods and sugary ones and how they are making us very sick, costing our health care system billions.
Whitney Ford
Mar 08, 2012 Whitney Ford rated it did not like it
decent advice overall on basic nutrition but loses credibility being too quick to recommend a lot of supplements and for mentioning homopathy in a case study without noting that it is junk..also don't trust tendency to blame inflammation on food allergies or claim that inflammation as the root cause of so many health issues
Debbie
Aug 12, 2016 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful topic. Provides a lot of knowledge and is easy to read and understand. The food lists were specifically helpful. Foods I thought were healthy can cause inflammation. I started the supplement from Carlson Labs he recommends, Inflammation Balance. I have also tweaked my diet and I believe I am starting to reap the benefits. I lost 4 lbs just be making a few minor changes.
Mary
Feb 29, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2012, health
It's a good, basic book talking about inflammation in the body. I like that Challem includes information about the effects of not only diet but also pharmaceutical meds. He also discusses various diseases in relation to inflammation. Overall a good overview with practical information. He also includes a few recipes.
Emily Cerda
May 08, 2012 Emily Cerda rated it it was ok
2 stars because this is not the most readable book, nor is it the most scientific. In fact, this is a nutritional program that makes great sense, but I had to read about the science behind these theories in another publication. Useful, but not great.
Clare
Jan 13, 2011 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how this book made me think about nutrition as a preventative way to combat disease. I am so use to thinking we are sick, let's go to the doctor. Now I think, what am I cooking for my family? What things can I add to our diet that will give maximum benefit.
Linda Anderson
This book discussed the author's viewpoint about inflammatory diseases, his diet plan, and inflammation and its risks. For me it was redundant to some other books. There were some good ideas for herbal treatments contained in the book.
Mary
Aug 25, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the many books I have been reading about inflammatory diseases (arthritis, allergies, cancer, autoimmune disease, and inflammatory bowel disease). It's shocking how closely related these things are...
Jenna
Jul 10, 2009 Jenna rated it liked it
Interesting read. The author backs up a lot of his findings on personal stories, which are interesting but not that compelling. I think there is a lot of truth in what the author says about the link between inflammation and diet, but I think he takes it to an extreme in some parts.
Rebeccameder
Aug 02, 2011 Rebeccameder rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-and-diet
I'm a library borrower, but this book is one I think is worth buying. I'll get one both for myself, so I can keep referring back, and probably one for my parents and siblings as well. I think we all have different conditions that could be helped by following this anti inflammation plan.
David
Dec 03, 2012 David rated it liked it
More of a reference book than a book to read from cover to cover. The information was good, but much of it could be found online with some research. I gave it three stars because I may very well refer back to it from time to time due to the handy compilation of resources.
Kelly Kinney
Nov 23, 2014 Kelly Kinney rated it liked it
This book had some great ideas and information about supplements. However, after a while I felt that all I should be eating is spinach, kale and certain, very specific proteins. That's not realistic. I have ordered the Carlson inflammation support supplements and found some good recipes to try.
Becky Morlok
Jul 20, 2010 Becky Morlok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, while helpful was extremely detailed and 'left me' at times....But is is thorough. I breeezed through a lot of it - liked the recipes and learned that tomatoes and eggplant are NOT good for me! BOO!
David
Sep 20, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Challem describes the negative impact refined carbs have with regards to chronic inflammation and the resulting health issues. I'm a big fan of preventative medicine and this book does a nice job explaining which foods help and which hinder our pursuit of good health.
N.L. Riviezzo
Nov 21, 2011 N.L. Riviezzo rated it it was ok
While containing some useful tidbits, a lot of what is suggested is either common sense or so extreme that it is unreasonable.
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
Apr 22, 2015 Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on how to change and supplement your diet to get rid of inflammatory diseases. Easy to read and clearly laid out.
Maya
Nov 20, 2013 Maya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback
Read it all, including both new and old introductions. Very enlightening. Now, time to apply this knowledge.
Sally
Mar 21, 2009 Sally rated it liked it
I quickly read through this book- mostly to take notes to pass on to people! An easy read for those interested, but full of good information that anyone can understand and use.
Caran-marie
Jan 23, 2011 Caran-marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
made more sense then a lot of the stuff written about the anti-inflammation diet- written very straight forward easy to follow and understand.
Aug 19, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it
What about the folks who find inflammation from animal protein? Seems like a terrible oversight. Read like an ad for the Omega-3 vitamin folks!
Denise Messenger
Jul 03, 2012 Denise Messenger rated it really liked it
I have his updated edition 2010 which is very good on outlining a nutritional plan for better health. If you are unaware of how damaging inflammation is to the body, you will know after this read.
  • The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies--and More
  • Dangerous Grains
  • The Lupus Book: A Guide for Patients and Their Families
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health � And What You Can Do About It
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • The Thyroid Solution
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • The Hunger Fix: The Three-Stage Detox and Recovery Plan for Overeating and Food Addiction
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet
  • The Glycemic-Load Diet
  • Magic and Medicine of Plants
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • Grow Younger, Live Longer: Ten Steps to Reverse Aging
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health