Start by marking “Leaving Ireland” as Want to Read:
Leaving Ireland

Leaving Ireland (Gracelin O'Malley #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  50 reviews
From the award-winning author of the acclaimed Gracelin O'Malley comes the breathtaking tale of a young mother's journey from her homeland to a new life in America.
Published November 5th 2002 by NAL Trade (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Leaving Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving Ireland

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourtCircle of Friends by Maeve BinchyIn the Woods by Tana FrenchDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierDubliners by James Joyce
Best Fiction Set in Ireland
66th out of 285 books — 234 voters
A Passage to India by E.M. ForsterMurder in Mesopotamia by Agatha ChristieCongo by Michael CrichtonJamaica Inn by Daphne du MaurierThe Russia House by John le Carré
Countries
133rd out of 119 books — 135 voters

More lists with this book...

Meagan
Leaving Ireland is the sequel to Gracelin O'Malley and takes up where the first left off. The young widowed Gracelin and her daughter take a dangerous voyage across the Atlantic to America where they reunite with Gracelin's brother, Sean. This book deal a lot with the struggles of the early immigrants and the battles they had to overcome: poverty, prejudices and life in general. The family and friends left behind in Ireland still play a role in this book which I was happy about along with new ch ...more
Sherry H
This second book in the Gracelin O'Malley trilogy is perhaps a bit less epically wonderful for me than the first.

Still a good story with interesting characters,Leaving Ireland has (go figure) left Ireland. In doing so, it has lost a bit of its charm. The lilt is missing. The speech patterns have changed a bit. The characters' deep love of their native land is, if not waning, at least less frequently expressed, as we begin to learn about the series of edge-of-your-seat events taking place.

There
Beverly
Second book in a great series.
Judi/Judith Riddle
The second book in the Gracelin O' Malley 3 part saga continues with Gracelin killing a "Brit" and she and her daughter flee for their lives on a ship leaving for America. She leaves her newborn son with her father because she knows the voyage will surely be the death of him. The first part of the book is about the harrows of the voyage across the Atlantic. It is on this ship that she meets Captain Reinders who befriends her and helps her to survive the crossing. She also incurs the wrath of the ...more
Krystal
I read the third book in the series in about a day because I couldn't wait to see how it ended. The author does a good job of not letting you know what's going to happen. There were a few things I was disappointed in, the main one being the character of Gracelin's brother Sean. I didn't think all the detailed discription of his downfall was necessary and probably most of it was R rated. I think the author could have done something different with him that wasn't so depressing. I really did like t ...more
Linda
Great sequel to Gracelin O'Malley. I liked the captain and his humane treatment or attempts of it with the passengers. I am going the read the 3rd book in this series to see what Gracelin does with her opportunities in the New World.
Roxanne / RoMoSquare
I didn't like this one nearly as much as the first. I felt like far too many coincidences happened and there was less of Gracelin's strength and more "damsel in distress saved by chance" than I was comfortable with. Still, I'm a sucker for a good immigrant story, so this still gets 3 stars.
Nancy
the story is as strong and moving as the first, but I'm nervous... one of the characters joins the Mormon church and I really don't want the book to turn hateful to my own religion.
Denise Lorraine
This is the book that follows Gracelin O'Malley & her young daughter as they escaped Ireland to America. Great story, feels authentic.
Noreen Hacohen
One of the best opening books to a historical fiction novel series...fell in love with the storyline from the beginning!
TJ
An absolutely beautiful sequel to "Gracelin O'Malley". Although not quit as riveting as the first, "Leaving Ireland" takes us from the devastation that was Ireland during the 19th century and brings us to America via Liverpool. Reading about the plight of Irish immigrants forced into steerage on overcrowded, disease infested ships, to the slums of New York City is at times heart-wrenching yet amazingly encouraging as we see Grace and those she loves fight to overcome almost unbelievable odds, le ...more
Jessa
Apr 09, 2013 Jessa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
The reason I'm only giving this a 4 is because I'm not really into Sean and his conversion (which I realize is unfair but it's how I feel) AND because I peeked ahead in the third book and spoiled a major thing that I'm already upset about, but which also colors how I feel about this book.

I lied, I just changed it to 5 stars, because Gracelin is essentially the idealized version of me that I daydream about.

I will never not associate the name Morgan with my first boyfriend and be really grumpy ab
Melissa
The second book in the series of 3 (Gracelin' O'Malley being the first). Enjoyed the story, but it can be kind of slow at times. Didn't appreciate the negative backstory on Mormons in early America - the author painted them as frauds and a false religion. If it weren't for the fact that I feel so vested in the story of Gracelin, I would have probably stopped after the first book, but I just had to know what happens next in her life.
Jayme
Oct 11, 2008 Jayme rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
2nd in the trilogy
This book is not quite as good as the first one but still a must read. I am amazed by how this story was able to suck me in, still dreaming about the characters at times almost two years later.
I will warn you that once you are involved with this series you are going to lose some sleep because you will not be able to put these books down.
Melanie
Another exciting read from Ann Moore, I have loved reading about Grace O'Malley and the joys and struggles in her life, now in America. I have been wrapped up in her life and the courage and selflessness she displays. Reading about life during this time period was both intriuging and heart-wrenching. I cannot wait to read the third and final book.
Bonnie
2nd in the Gracelin O'Malley series --- Grace's decision to come to America is a brave one - a desperate flee from death by starvation as well as a possible murder conviction. She'll save herself, her daughter, an orphaned boy and start her life over a saloon on the Lower East Side, NYC. Characters continue to keep you involved and hoping . . .
Amy
I should not have read this while 7 months pregnant. I finished the book right before bed and had bad dreams all night. Too much bad stuff happens. It has clouded my judgement. When I finished I didn't think I liked it as much as the first. I may have to go back and try to read it again later.
Corinne
I am SO glad that Ann Moore carried on the story of Gracelin O'Malley in "Leaving Ireland." I can't wait to read the next one. Gracelin is the kind of Charachter that you fall in love with, she is like your sister or your best friend and you just cannot wait to find out what happens to her next!
Chris
Jul 06, 2008 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ginger
Recommended to Chris by: Debra
The second of this trilogy, is just as great a read. Moves along, brings in most of the characters from the first book, " Gracelin O'Malley". Can't wait to read the third book. After arrving in America, Gracelin learns more about herself and life as an Irish immigrant.
Sarah Speese
Jan 08, 2011 Sarah Speese is currently reading it
So far this book is just as good as the first Gracelin O'Malley novel. I just got to the third chapter and I can tell that it's going to be just as well as the first. It'll probably take me a while to finish since my last semester at CC is starting Monday.
Aimee
Book #2 in the Gracelin O'Malley series. Well-written, fast moving and suspenseful. The characters are likable and the tale is compelling. I liked this book as much as the first book and look forward to reading the third soon.
Shara
This is a very interesting story, but becomes far fetched pretty quickly and barely manages to hold any integrity of plot by the end of the book. Too much sex, which I don't have much of an appreciation for in "literature."
Karen
This is the second in the Gracelin O'Malley trilogy. Takes Gracelin's story on voyage across the Atlantic to making a life in New York. Definitely looking forward to more of this story in the third book, 'Til Morning Light.
Maudie
Not quite up to the page-turning excellence of "Gracelin O'Malley," but a good enough read with the first one-third of the book being four star. Now, on to Mrs. Moore's third book of Grace's journey, "'Til Morning Light."
Cinderella3653
I have read this complete series and being an Irish fan to begin with I completely loved every minute of every book. The writer is very gifted in painting the picutre you need to see in order to understand the story...
Michele
This is the sequel to Gracelin O'Malley. The novel tells about Grace's journey to America and her early years spent in New York. There is still room for another sequel as Grace's story is still not over.
Careshmeh
This is the last of the trilogy and though it is packing a punch some of the story is unrealistic. Too much coincidence lost me a few times but the ever present romantic in me kept the reading going.
Els Bogema
It's a perfect story when you first read the book ' Grace O' Malley'.
Beautiful story, sometimes complicated with all the persons but I'm looking forward to read the third part of Grace O' Malley.

Carly
This one wasn't quite as gripping as the first one, dealing with the struggles of Irish immigrants now living in New York City. I still liked Grace's story enough to keep reading.
Linda K
I really enjoyed this book not quite as much as the first but still I loved the new setting in the US. Again she did great research and really made history come to life.
2nd in Trilogy 4 10 Aug 02, 2014 09:54AM
  • 1972: A Novel of Ireland's Unfinished Revolution
  • Push Not the River
  • The Exiled (War of the Roses, #2)
  • Daughter of Ireland
  • The Linen Queen
  • Galway Bay
  • The Fugitive Wife
  • The Wild Rose of Kilgannon (Kilgannon, #2)
  • The King's Favorite: A Novel of Nell Gwyn and King Charles II
  • Shadowbrook: A Novel of Love, War, and the Birth of America
  • The Tailor's Daughter
  • The Nightingale
  • The Queen's Sorrow
  • The Prince of Poison (Alix of Wanthwaite, #3)
  • Mina
  • An Irishwoman's Tale
  • The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2)
  • One Last Look
Ann Moore was raised in the misty Pacific Northwest, and spent a good many summers roaming the beaches of a nearby island. Internationally published, Ann is the author of three historical novels about the 1845 Irish Famine, the Young Irelander uprising, and the Irish emigration to America. Her fourth novel - a contemporary mystery, set on a remote island in the San Juans - is nearly done. Ann live ...more
More about Ann Moore...
Gracelin O'Malley 'Til Morning Light 'Til Morning Light (The Gracelin O'Malley Trilogy Book 3) Me and Ellan Vannin: A Wartime Childhood on the Isle of Man The Holocaust Teacher's Book