Start by marking “The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get on with Your Life” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In 1998, after thirteen years of providing investment advice for Smith Barney, Bill Schultheis wrote a simple book for people who felt overwhelmed by the stock market. He had discovered that when you simplify your investment decisions, you end up getting better returns. As a bonus, you gain more time for family, friends, and other pursuits.
"The Coffeehouse Investor "expla
Published April 16th 2009 by Portfolio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Coffeehouse Investor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coffeehouse Investor

Kenneth Burke
This is a good, easy read for individuals and families just getting started in their financial lives. Bill only discusses the stock market, which is the purpose of the book. Working in the financial industry myself, I'd recommend a few more easy concepts, but he did stay true to the purpose of his writing. The one piece I would've like to have seen more in depth is tax consequences. He touches on the subject, but leaves out a good amount of important information - possibly by design. All in all, ...more
Jay
I must be getting more boring, as I'm reading investing books!

This one is a simple book on investing, though a bit verbose on subjects not related to the topic. His primary thesis is to keep it simple by investing in index funds - that if you can keep pace with market averages (S&P, etc.), you'll do better than trying to "beat" the market. And you'll do best to learn about cutting your costs for investing (management fees, taxes).

There was also a nice little worksheet, with formulas, on how
Nic Keep
Interesting book about investing in the stock market.
Richard
This is a conversational book that covers the basics of asset allocation and investment strategy for retirement. The book is filled with many anecdotes that so help to clarify and emphasis central themes. Unfortunately for a book focused on basics it seems inconsistent in the assumptions about the financial literacy of the reader. You'll need additional material to cover terminology if this is your first introduction to investing.
Alison
I liked this one, and the advice was sound and delivered well. But I just couldn't get past the author's writing style, with the frequent line breaks and repetition. It seems like it would help the information to sink in better, and keeps the tone casual which is nice. But it just didn't work for me, which is the only reason I bumped one star.
Steve
Very conversational. Lots of stories. Focuses on three key points:

1. Asset allocation (Don't put all your eggs in one basket)
2. Approximate the stock market average (There is no such things as a free lunch)
3. Saving (Save for a rainy day)
Sam
A very short read that can drastically change how you invest for your retirement. And the best part is that the solution is simple, cheap, low maintenance, easy-to-understand, and financially sound.
John Bails
Great book. It's going on my reference shelf for ready availability.
Beatnik
pretty good and basic start guide to setting up a bright retirement.
Tae Kim
Tae Kim is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
GAN
GAN marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Ben
Ben is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2015
Phong
Phong marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Marty
Marty added it
Jan 21, 2015
Andrew Kuo
Andrew Kuo marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The New Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get on with Your Life The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get On With Your Life The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street and Get on with Your Life The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street and Get on with Your Life