Start by marking “Dinosaur vs. Bedtime” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur vs. Bedtime

Dinosaur vs. Bedtime (Dinosaur vs.)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  3,470 ratings  ·  265 reviews

Roaaaar! Roaar! Nothing can stop me!
Nothing can stop little dinosaur--not talking grownups, spaghetti, or even bath time. But what happens when he faces the biggest challenge of all...bedtime?
With spare text and irresistible dinosaur roaaars, little dinosaurs will be begging for this book to be read again and again. The sturdy board book format is ideal for strong-minded
Board Book, 30 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by Disney-Hyperion (first published September 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur vs. Bedtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur vs. Bedtime

greg said this book reminded him of me. its true i can beat spaghetti.
You know how stories can be told in completely different ways by inflection, alone? Well this is a new story every time I read it to my daughter. Some parts get drawn out, embellished, and expanded. Others have a very humorous turn that reaches the pure and mighty heights of satire.

But mostly, it's all about the roars.

I honestly have a great time hamming this one up. I can be as loud and obnoxious as I want, and I don't even have to convert it into semi-clever turns of phrase.

Oh, the Joy!

Oh. Mygod. How much do children love reading this book. Even kids who aren't reading yet can read this book. And they love to do it!

I finally got a chance to read it to my two kids tonight, but even then I didn't really! They chimed in with all the ROAR ROAR ROARs, they loved doing a high-pitched, hysterical announcer voice for every challenge the dinosaur faces: "Dinosaur versus... A BOWL OF SPAGHETTI!!" and oh GOD did they love "Dinosaur versus... TALKING GROWN-UPS!" BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BL
Roar, roar, roar! The dinosaur takes on falling leaves, talking grownups, spaghetti, and bathtime and wins everytime! It is only when he takes on his biggest challenge of all - bedtime - that the dinosaur meets his match.

My 5-year-old dinosaurs adored this and we read it over and over. Bright and lively illustrations carry the story and allow lots of room for participation with the sound effects. This is a fabulous package that is a winner on all levels, design, artwork, palette, and text. And b
November 1 2008

Easy enough for the most beginning of readers, but oh, so fun to read aloud with the ROARING. Lots of great ROARs. A good one for showing a child how typography suggests volume and tone, without requiring discussion of those issues.

June 21 2012

I did not read it aloud this time. I sat on the sofa, with my daughters on either side, all of us reading. Given the tendency to share funny lines aloud, it wasn't all that quiet in there with our three books, even though I wasn't ROARing
Shea of the charming New Socks returns with another winning picture book for toddlers and preschoolers. Dinosaur meets each challenge in his day with a huge ROAR! He wins again and again against dire threats such as leaf piles, the big slide, spaghetti and even talking grownups! But there is one thing he has trouble defeating: bedtime. Will Dinosaur be able to overcome it this time?

Shea manages to translate the toddler experience directly to the page. With few words, a bright red dinosaur with a
Nov 25, 2008 Danielle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with kids and those who will have kids
Checked this out from the libaray - Quinn can basically "read" it to us. He of course can't read yet but he can sum up each page before he even turns to it. It is so funny to watch him read this and make the dinosaur ROAR noises. We are going to have to go and buy this one.
In a word, cute. Children will enjoy the script, so long as the reader adds appropriate grit to the ample roars. Parents will appreciate the test of wills and ultimate victor in this short and colorful bedtime story.
Kate Hastings
Dec 31, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers, Pre-K storytime dinosaurs bedtime
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I wish something like this, with wide appeal for the masses, would win Caldecott. Perfect for Dinosaur storytime. Dinosaur can defeat anything--bath time, dinner time, just... not... (yawn)... bedtime.
Okay, this one was a total suprise. Perhaps it was in the reading, but my kids of various ages all loved it and unanimously gave it five stars. Spunky little dinosaur.
Dinosaur can defeat anything he comes up against but his worthiest challenger will be bedtime. Loved it one of my new favorites. Great for bedtime. Ages 2+
This has to be one of my all-time favorite childrens book. Come on...we have all little "dinosaurs" at home sometimes, right?
Big bold print is good for working on the early literacy principle of print awareness.
Cindy Dobrez
Loved this raucous look at the bedtime struggle. ROAR. Who doesn't love to WIN?
Mimi Lala
5/5 stars!

Oh, my god! How I love reading these dinosaur books!

This is the story about a little dinosaur who vs. different things ultimately getting beat by bedtime. I really enjoy reading this book. It doesn't have to be to boys alone, since boys are usually the ones that really enjoy dinosaurs, girls get a kick out of this book too.

Kids enjoy shouting "ROAR" while the story is being read. It is a simple, quick, interactive book, that all will enjoy. This book can be used from babies to presch
An Abundance of Books
My mother-in-law was not pleased when I started roaring in the middle of the bookstore when I first found this bad boy. It was instant love, Little Dinosaur and I were meant to be together, and Christmas shopping made a handy excuse to bring him home with me. The bright colors, the simple but humorous illustrations, and the chance to roar like a dinosaur make this book a hit with everyone.

Little Dinosaur, with his mighty roars, can win at everything, no one can stand against him. Not a pile of
In Dinosaur vs. Bedtime, Bob Shea uses naïve, comic illustration style, combined with bold text, bright colors and a dash of mixed media to create a visually interesting, adventure of a book that will definitely appeal to preschoolers. This simple storyline invites reader participation as a very busy little dinosaur tackles everyday challenges like “the big slide,” a bowl of spaghetti and talking grownups, triumphing over each with a giant roar! Roar! ROAR! With its predictable storyline, repeti ...more
Amber Ditullio
I'm a big fan of Bob Shea and his books. We bought Big Plans after the boys kept taking the book out of the library every chance they could. So when my heart-sister, Barb, sent along Dinosaur vs Bedtime for my youngest (who is going through a dinosaur phase), I was excited to break it out and read it.

And none of us were disappointed. This book is much shorter on words than Big Plans, and for this book, it works. It tells the story in short bursts, showing scenes familiar to any parent of a tod
Shea, B. (2008). Dinosaur vs. Bedtime. New York: Hyperion Books for Children.

Dinosaur Vs. Bedtime places its readers in the position of a young small dinosaur with such conflicts as eating a bowl of spaghetti, going down a slide and getting ready for bed. Time after time, Dinosaur is successful in his battles, that is until he faces his greatest challenge: bedtime.

This book is fun and humorous book that will strike children's imaginations throughout their daily rituals and in make-b
Attractive graphic design in addition to a catchy, clever bedtime story. I like that this book manages to teach kids both to be little rebels AND to enjoy following the rules. See how absolutely impossible that whole idea is? Fostering kids' innate ferocity isn't always a bad thing, but refusing to go to bed ... Is. This book understands that conundrum, and finds a unique way to send kids off to dreamland. This is my favorite sleep-themed picture book I've found.
Tyley Hunter
This is a picture book for very young children who love dinosaurs but might be reluctant to get ready for bed. Bob Shea writes a story about how a tiny red T-Rex challenges various nighttime activities as he prepares to go against his worst enemy, bedtime. The story is filled with “roars!” as the dinosaur beats activities as sliding down a slide, eating a bowl of spaghetti, brushing his teeth, taking a bath, and others. Each activity the dinosaur is declared the winner, until he loses to bedtime ...more
This book was interactive, which makes it a great choice for storytime. For example, kids could shout "Dinosaur Wins!" along with the storyteller. This book allows the storyteller to use a lot of emphasis and funny voices. It's colorful and hilarious. It's a great book to close storytime, because the dinosaur falls asleep at the end of the story.
Dinosaur Vs. Bedtime, by Bob Shea, is a book that follows dinosaur while he defeats things, like a bowl of spaghetti and talking adults. I didn't really understand the point of this book. Each time Dinosaur defeated something it was very repetitive because he always said, "ROAR, ROAR, ROAR" and "Dinosaur wins". The illustrations were very basic and not very exciting, in my opinion. They consisted of the same cartoon dinosaur and sometimes an inanimate object, like a bathtub. I would have given t ...more
How can you not love this book? It has everything: An adorable dinosaur with a wide toothy grin, ROARS on every other page, and a storyline.

This perfect little picture book would appeal to very young listeners of stories, and to beginning readers of stories, and the parents of both.

Sarah Herranen
This book was creative to an extent. It was very simple, yet a cute representation of children. This book appeared to represent a little boy defeating the things he liked to do and didn't like to do. He ended up making it a game when he had to eat, brush his teeth, take a bath, and so on. Finally when it came time for bedtime, bedtime won. He became so sleepy, his little roar's became long and smaller on the page. The pictures were also very simple, however, there was a page where a real picture ...more
Loved some of Bob Shea's books, but this wasn't one of my favorites. I'm fairly animated when I read to my son out loud so I didn't enjoy this one because I had to "roar" so much it hurt my throat by the end of the book. Kind of repetitive and not as fun as some of his others.
I love reading this book aloud, especially to younger audiences (toddlers and preschoolers). The text is very minimal and fun. Kids really dig this book and it is a blast to read aloud. I love it for Dinosaur storytimes or just a fun read anytime.
One of the books I tried on my new "PJ Story Time" group - quite a hit. Everyone was quite keen on being a little dinosaur. Luckily, didn't get too out of control. Plan to try out some of the other "Dinosaur vs." books as well.
Sometimes it may seem like your toddler is part dinosaur... and after a long day of very LOUDLY defeating all of the obstacles thrown at them (a bowl of spaghetti? talking grown ups? bathtime and tooth-brushing?), what is it that finally claims victory over this very enthusiastic dino? Why, bedtime, of course.

My infant and toddler both LOVE this book, from its bright colors to the dinosaur's "ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!" as it skips from page to page. There's very few words, so it's perfect for the little
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean
  • Brontorina
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.
More about Bob Shea...