Start by marking “What I Lived For” as Want to Read:
What I Lived For

What I Lived For

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  676 ratings  ·  50 reviews
At forty-two, Jerome Corcoran - "Corky" to his friends and associates - is by all appearances a successful real estate developer and broker, a city councilman with a promising future in local politics, a genuine ladies' man, and all-around great guy. His big house, fifteen-hundred-dollar suits, and the ridiculously large tips he hands out all over town reassure him that he ...more
Published October 1st 1995 by Plume (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about What I Lived For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Lived For

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverThe Things They Carried by Tim O'BrienThe Corrections by Jonathan FranzenThe Snow Child by Eowyn IveyThe Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler
Pulitzer Prize Finalists
30th out of 68 books — 62 voters
We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol OatesBlonde by Joyce Carol OatesThe Falls by Joyce Carol Oatesthem by Joyce Carol OatesBeasts by Joyce Carol Oates
Best of Joyce Carol Oates
28th out of 104 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Bryant
Oct 14, 2009 Paul Bryant rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who can keep up
Shelves: novels
Nobody wants to speak up for this book but I will. It's a huge breathless painful headlong dangerous full-pelt rush, all 600 pages of it. So accurate about the awfulness of the male mind that many pages were for me excruciating reading. It's horribly compelling. Quite brilliant. So naturally I thought I was a JCO fan, but then I read Zombie, which was kinda not such a good idea. Then I went for "them". Couldn't be bothered with that. Then I tried "We Were the Mulvaneys" - that seemed like it mig ...more
Rita
Oates believes in childhood having the key to your personality and behavior, as she shows in this book with flashbacks to Corky’s childhood. Knowing this should prevent us from thinking Oates is saying ALL men are like this one.

On the one hand I didn’t want to put the book down, on the other hand I knew I mustn’t read it before bedtime. Kept finding myself hoping Corky would change at least a little, get at least a little more sensible. Rooting for him, in other words. Excruciating to see the t
C Lasseter
This is one of the best books I have ever read, but it is NOT for the faint of heart. If you like your books clean, run. Fast. Now. This is Joyce Carol Oates at her best, because she seems to step out of her own comfort zone to tell the story of a hard-drinking young Irishman who loves 'em and leaves 'em. This book is not awkward or sappy. She nails it, as the protagonist nails everyone he sees. Only JCO can make you come to like a guy like this, but you do.
Mike
I'm so impressed with Joyce Carol Oates.

First of all, she looks as quirky as she writes. My kind of person! Second, she has so much talent with unsettling stories. Stories that are unsettling?

What I Lived For unsettled me because I wasn't prepared for it. JCO writes in such a strange voice in this story. She channels an egotistical Irish man/boy so well that I think she knows the male psyche better than I do. And apparently it's a violent, penis-centered place.

Do men really think and respond the
Jane
This is a wild, nutty book, one I started apprehensively—it’s so long, and Oates is often so dark—and devoured. The protagonist, Corky, a real estate developer and a big man about his Buffalo-ish upstate New York town, is a muddled mess, corrupt, prone to racist asides, an alcoholic, creepily attracted to his former stepdaughter. Over and over again the reader winces at some horrible thing Corky says, and his discomfort in his own skin.

For a few days, Corky drives around town, conducting an aff
Loripdx
Jan 18, 2012 Loripdx added it
Shelves: gave-up-on
I renewed this book at the library the maximum number of times permitted--and then once more!--and still no dice. I just could not get interested enough in the story to bother finishing it. It doesn't matter how good others say a book is...if I'm not diggin' it, I'm just not diggin' it! Oh, well.
Denny Fisher
I wanted to hate this book. So many times I wanted to stop reading it, Corky drove me completely mad all the way to the very end. But, now that I've finished reading it, I find myself missing the testosterone driven roller coaster ride...
Cindy
I just finished this book. I haven't read Oates in a long time and forgot how dark she gets. Her writing is so magnificent (of coarse) that I got sucked in and went the whole way down with Corky. I guess this makes me think of a completely unexamined life, in that Corky just acts and never reflects. On anything! He has plenty of internal dialogue but none of it is self-reflective. And he does some really bad stuff. Like attempt to seduce his stepdaughter. Ugh. But its JCO, so of coarse she went ...more
Sandra Alonzo
This is an oldie (1994) and a fabulous read. Joyce Carol Oates is one of my favorite authors.
Nicole
Mesmerizing and totally absorbing, unlike anything I've read before, and kind of horrible all at the same time. The reader is in the head of an alcoholic, self absorbed, hustling, horny, insecure, restless, and ultimately pathetic businessman in upstate NY for a long and tumultuous weekend. Feels like a dream when you are reading it, it just keeps going and going and dragging you along even when you feel like "i want this to stop". One of those books that I'm glad I read, and I won't read again. ...more
e b
Sidney Sheldon for the literary set.
Sara
Jul 29, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read
95 finalist-pulitzer prize
Marika
"What is passing so swiftly so irrevocably into what was."

Finally, I'm done. That was (1) exhausting, (2) train-wreck enthralling, (3) TMI . This book does not entertain. It does not bolster the reader's faith in humanity. It does not use punctuation as much as is normal.

It does deliver a frightening, totally convincing expose of the inner thoughts and drives of a charming, womanizing, heavy drinking man of fading good looks and average intelligence as he systematically makes one bad decision a
Michael
I read this book in college, which by now means about 10 years ago. I don't remember anything about the plot, other than that it takes place over a long holiday weekend and involves a hot shot politico and his daughter. I don't remember any characters other than Corky Corcoran, which barely matters because every sentence of this book revolves around him, anyway.

What I do remember, a decade later, is this book's effect. Oates captures the male psyche so effectively here that it's almost unbearabl
Dawn M
What is this book even about? The main plot-line is so muddled by the ramblings of the protagonist, Corky Corcoran (such a narcistic, sex-driven a-hole), that it was hard for me to follow. The reader literally reads every thought that comes in and out of his brain over a 4 day period. The only reason I finished this book is because I was on a 7 hour road trip with nothing else to read. Every character was so unlikeable, most of all Corky, that I really didn't find myself caring about any of them ...more
Surymae
Spunto interessante e sempre attuale, ma un po' sprecato da Joyce Carol Oates, che diluisce la già esile trama con numerosi momenti morti e scene di sesso molto simili tra loro. Sarebbe potuto durare la metà delle pagine e non avrebbe perso un'oncia della sua potenza, anzi ne sarebbe uscito un romanzo ancora più prorompente.
Gwen
Joyce Carol Oates is a prolific author, who somehow manages to write of a character's mind so clearly. I hated this character. Jerome "Corky" is a man who feels he embodies greatness, trying to get out of his "Irish Hill" upbringing. Corky witnesses his father's murder at the age of 12 on a Christmas Eve that he will never forget.

The writing style was a stream-of-consciousness, here-and-there-and-then-back-here again. I hated the physical details provided about how Corky thinks about womena and
Dionne
I had to pull my 100 page rule out on this one. I'm a JCO fan for years, but this book I just could not get into. 100 pages in and I still don't care about any of the characters - that's my queue to move on.
Patty
Aug 12, 2015 Patty marked it as to-read
I'm going to set this one aside for a while. I'm not in the mood to find out a lot more about Corky.
Jim Craig

Impressive how a female author so convincingly thinks herself into the mind of a macho male!
Alexandria Guasco
This book was okay, it wasn't great, but the end made it not so horrible. I had a hard time getting through it considering how much I hated the narrator, Corky. He's a typical dog of a man and Oates portray's him very well in the New York, business career way. I just think it could have been done in less than 600 pages. The last section of the book is where most of the conflict arises and a much awaited ending finally arrives.
Melanie
So I have this way of reading where I read for awhile normally then I start to flip around the book especially if I am hoping it gets better. It didn't. Not going to bother finishing. Stopping on 207. It is just more of the same crap from my flipping around maybe that's the point but I find it a little shallow and dead.
Brian Dahlvig
How can a 600-page book with one main character over four days be SUCH a freaking page turner?? Damn!
I could not put this down. Oddly, I cannot remember in what part of my life I was reading this book--but I didn't stip until I finished. Now that I think about it, I would like to read a serious review of it to see if the critics thought she wrote this male lead character well--I do.
Martha
High intensity novel taking place over a Memorial Day weekend. Main character is a high-power real estate broker whose life is circling the drain.

Oates is amazing for the sheer number of her books, and that they are consistently of high quality is all the more amazing.
Anna
May 20, 2014 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Oates writes longs books. I just bought this at the bookstore and had no idea what I was in for. I liked it but it is ambiguous and of course will make you think. She is a great American voice.

Now this is a JCO book to read. Amazing.
Gail
Mar 23, 2008 Gail rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gail by: Jack
Up to this point I've loved everything I have read by this author (Joyce Carol Oates). Not so much this one! To tell the truth, I'm not completely certain how the book ended. Won't say anything more as not to spoil it for a potential reader.
Liz

Now this is a JCO book to read. Amazing.
Alexis
Though I didn't love this book, I was so impressed by the character development. If I meant the main character, he's the kind of guy I'd hate. But being privy to his intentions, one can't help but sympathize and even like him.
  • The Manikin
  • American Woman
  • Love in Infant Monkeys
  • Servants of the Map
  • The Quick and the Dead
Joyce Carol Oates is a recipient of the National Book Award and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction. She is also the recipient of the 2005 Prix Femina for The Falls. She is the Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University, and she has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters since 1978. Pseudonyms ... Rosamond Smith and Laure ...more
More about Joyce Carol Oates...
We Were the Mulvaneys The Falls The Gravedigger's Daughter Blonde Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang