Start by marking “The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need” as Want to Read:

The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
Published April 4th 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Fat Smash Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fat Smash Diet

Abby
Mar 23, 2008 Abby rated it liked it
Shelves: health, food
This book was a quick read at only 155 pages and the second half being recipes. It's a four phase diet plan that starts with a 9 day cleanse. My only issues with the book is in the final phase, the life long phase, he allows soda. I personally feel that after doing a 9 day cleanse I would want my maintainace to be a clean diet of no white sugar or flour. Nice recipe ideas!
Sarah Pearlman
Feb 27, 2008 Sarah Pearlman rated it it was amazing
I try to live by this book. I stray here and there, but I always return. I have read and done lots of research of different nutritional diets, and this one by far is the best one to live by. It has you concentrate your diet to be mainly veggies and fruit. Even though I mostly try to live by this book, at least once a year I read it again and go though the whole detox process. I am on phase 2 right now!! Love it, love it, love it!! Do it for your health and not to loose weight!
Tabby Kat
May 16, 2008 Tabby Kat rated it it was ok
I lost 9 pounds the 1st week with the diet but it was very strict and a bit hard to follow and the pounds come back as soon as you eat normal foods again.
Ruth
Jun 17, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it
Dr. Smith encourages eating more fruits & vegetables. It has different phases. It seems pretty reasonable and flexible.
Kathleen Basi
Aug 08, 2012 Kathleen Basi rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I only skimmed this, because I was curious to see what the diet was. It would definitely work, if you can stick to it. The trouble is I don't think most people can stick to it. Not over the long term. A long-term plan requires a permanent change across the board, and for the vast majority of people it has to involve eating a normal, healthy, balanced diet in which portions are smaller and less-healthy foods are allowed in moderation. Anything else is not sustainable over the long-ter ...more
Helene
Jun 12, 2008 Helene rated it liked it
Decent book/diet about limiting portions (making big, unhealthy portions into smaller, healthier ones), eating fruits and vegetables and lean protein, and other tips.

There are four phases to the diet, and each one adds on to the previous one. I have enjoyed going through the phases and eating the foods on the lists; however, I find it a little frustrating that there are some "forbidden" foods we are not allowed to eat. I find this aspect unrealistic since most people cannot go without certain t
Cory
Sep 16, 2010 Cory rated it liked it
This literally took me about 30 minutes to read, and I would actually consider buying it in paperback. Granted, some of the information confused me a bit, but I think that's because I'm a bit dense. All in all, this seems like something that would be easy to follow, and some of the recipes sounded really good.
Daija
Mar 18, 2011 Daija rated it it was amazing
I've done the diet before and it works! The first phase, Detox is pretty hard but you gotta stay determined. I try to live by this book and revisit it a few times. I'm about to start the phase back up again to jumpstart my metabolism and just get back into the groove of things. The diet is definitely worth a try!
Crystal
Feb 04, 2009 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first 10 days are a little difficult, as you are learning new habits, eliminating various types of food. Once past that, it is not only easy to follow, but I felt great, was encouraged by my progress and once done, I felt empowered that I could go back to any stage and regain control. Really felt it was healthy and doable.
Michelle
Sep 26, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone trying to change their eating habits
This book is profiled on the television program Celebrity Fit Club. This book is a wonderful way to implement a healthy lifestyle without counting points or calories. It basically teaches you to make healthy food choices and exercise. It has been a life altering find for me :)
Lisa  Schlottmann
Jan 07, 2016 Lisa Schlottmann rated it really liked it
This is a great book to lose weight, I LOVE that it tells you exactly what to eat without telling you WHAT to eat (that will make sense if you read the book:) But it's not a way I can live in my opinion. It's too hard to do for long term, but great to do for short term and to help reach a goal.
Betsy
Feb 01, 2013 Betsy rated it it was ok
I did The Fat Smash Diet with some co-workers back in 2007 or so. As I recall it was ok. The recipes were simple and tasty, but just like any other "get fit fast" diet book, there wasn't anything new or fantastic that I took away from it.
Dayini
Jun 24, 2010 Dayini rated it liked it
A very good book overall. I would have rated this 4 stars if it didn't discourage weight/resistance training. Resistance training is too important to lifelong health, mobility and independence to have been largely left out of this plan.
Christopher
Nov 15, 2007 Christopher rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fellow dieters
Shelves: nutrition
I am not sure that I would follow this diet completely. The detox part is hard enough. I lasted two days. It does have some great information that you can use, and incorporate into your other diet plans.
April
Jun 18, 2011 April added it
With this diet, one has to have A LOT of will power. I attempted this diet and was not successful. By doing this diet, I swear every commercial had protein in it, that finally one day I couldn't take it anymore and gave in to my protein!
Imjstgr8
Feb 07, 2013 Imjstgr8 rated it it was amazing
Very easy to follow diet book. Some things are new but s si me were things that are pretty commin sense. However if you do this diet you have to want to lose weight & keep it off. Meaning it will take self control & some effort.
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Oct 02, 2011 Melissa Lee-Tammeus rated it it was amazing
Love this diet. The easiest plan I have ever tried and it actually works. It is tough, but it gets your body clean and back on track.
Jamie
Jan 25, 2008 Jamie rated it it was ok
For me this book was crazy. There is no way in this life time would I follow his diet. I need real food on a daily basis. Dont bother reading just eat everything in moderation and exercise.
Justin Davis
Feb 07, 2016 Justin Davis marked it as to-read
Zero stars...I was expecting much better than this. Bought the book because I love the show. Recipes are horrible...none of them looked at all appetizing. I prefer South Beach!
Laura Needels
Jun 26, 2013 Laura Needels rated it really liked it
Seems to be a diet I could handle for a cycle anyway. Reading different diets to try to keep my body mixed up.
Michele
Good common sense approach of diet and exercise, and a few good recipes. No fancy gimmicks or false promises. Ok, seems reasonable...let's see if this works.
Leslie Frazier
May 23, 2014 Leslie Frazier rated it liked it
It works for the short term but it's not the picture of health. Never be fat again is way better than any diet book out there. (So far)
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Tasha
Tasha rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2015
Kory
Kory rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2017
KK
KK rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Aimee King
Aimee King rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Liela Fuller
Liela Fuller rated it liked it
May 14, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2014
  • ABS Diet for Women
  • The 5 Factor Diet
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
  • Six Weeks to OMG
  • Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein Recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss
  • Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight with 433 Foods You Crave!
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss
  • Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition
  • Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy!
  • Understanding Nutrition
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Thrive Fitness: Mental and Physical Strength for Life
Ian K. Smith, M.D.,Ian K. Smith, M.D. is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of SUPER SHRED, SHRED, THE 4 DAY DIET, THE FAT SMASH DIET and EXTREME FAT SMASH DIET among 7 other books including, SHRED Diet Cookbook , EAT, Happy , and The Blackbird Papers. His newest book, THE SHRED POWER CLEANSE, is available 12/29/15.

He is a former co-host of Emmy-winning “The Doctors” TV show, and a medica
More about Ian K. Smith...