References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot and Other Plays

References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot and Other Plays

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Surrealism, magic realism and expressionism are the hallmarks of Jose Rivera’s influential body of work. This new volume collects the author’s plays written in the past five years, including References to Salvador Dalí Make Me Hot ("effortlessly melds otherworldly fantasy with gritty realism to make sparks fly onstage."—The Journal News), Sueño (a reworking for Pedro Calde...more
Published June 1st 2002 by Theatre Communications Group (first published 2001)

Jil
Sep 29, 2008 Jil rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Monologue-seekers, playwrights
Shelves: school, play
The title play was assigned for my 21st Century American Drama class. I could tell from the first few pages that I would loathe it - it was abstract, baffling, did that frustrating "inanimate object as character" thing.

So I read it, hated it; there were a few poetic passages that I found intriguing (but ultimately irritating - write poetry or plays, not some combination of the two!), but the conflict was trite: dissatisfied housewife, husband that values his job over home. War causes emotional t...more
Josh Hornbeck
I just reading "References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot - and Other Plays," a collection of playscripts by Jose Rivera. It took me some time to warm up to Rivera's lyricism and poetry, but by the time I reached the final piece - a collection of monologues from the afterlife - I was thoroughly entranced.
Marisela
Currently reading the first play in this anthology: Reference to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot. I swear, the play oozes this sensual energy, as if it was written while the playwright was in love, feverishly in love.
Fraser Kinnear
Found this at a book sale for a dollar and picked up because it was brief and looked appealing. A nice short character play, but a disposable one.
Anna
Worked on it as a play. I think that the writing is beautifully poetic, well thought out and so intricately woven into an amazing play.
Jessy
Jose Rivera is a master. Everyone I know and everyone I don't should read this book.
Stephanie
Jun 25, 2008 Stephanie added it Recommends it for: anyone who wishes reality were more supple
I simultaneously want to live in and am scared of living in Rivera's world.
Isabelle Ouyang
Isabelle Ouyang marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Sarah added it
Dec 04, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2013
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Krishna Thorat
Krishna Thorat marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2012
Adrienne Andrus
Adrienne Andrus is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marisol and Other Plays Marisol Cloud Tectonics The House of Ramon Iglesia Giants Have Us in Their Books