Start by marking “Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)

Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,281 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
A Riveting Medieval Parallel to the Bible

Good and evil clash. Leinad and Cedric are determined to not only survive, but claim hope and victory! In Kingdom’s Dawn, Leinad and Tess, along with all the king’s people, must escape slavery by the powerful Lord Fairos. Kingdom’s Hope finds them free and arriving in the Chessington Valley . But when they forget the king, will Ker
Published December 30th 2008 by Multnomah (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom's Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom's Hope

Kate  Van Rompaey
In this book, Leinad's adventure continues as he struggled to free the King's people from the arrogant Lord Fairos. As Leinad tries his hardest to persuade Fairos to let the people go, he also learns that the Dark Knight's forces are at war with the King's Silent Warriors.

I thought that this book was much faster paced than the first. It was fast-paced for much more reasons that the mere fact that it is less than 200 pages. Not only is the plot pace done well, but there is also a nice character d
Morgan
Jun 21, 2016 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just flipped through this again to look at the fight scenes on a friend's recommendation. Same as the first: It could have been really good if he'd taken the time and space to develop it properly. If I remember right, Leinad and Tess's relationship seemed out of place when I first read it, but (could just be that I skipped over most of it) it seemed more realistic to me this time. Walls of caution that were finally broken down, realization that she was just waiting on him, and all. That happens ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, this book may be a bit better than the 3 I'm giving it here. I got the audio book from Audible and it's done..."DRAMATICALLY".

I'm not big on audio books with a cast of multiple readers, mood music throughout, sound effects and so on. A good book and a good narrator make a good read. For me the rest is simply annoying.

This is an overtly "allegorical" book, though not in the sense that say Pilgrims Progress Gift Bk is. That is a picture of the Christian journey through life told within a sy
Anne Hamilton
I still haven't warmed to this series. The problem is that I really like a cogent coherent plot, not just things happening. The big failing of allegory is that the plot is always subservient to the moral of the story.

Leinad has morphed again and now is, by turns, a Moses figure, then a Samuel, Elijah, Daniel and finally a Nehemiah.

And much as I dislike saying it, I find the 'God figure' here - the King of Arrenthtrae - to have fallen victim to one of the oldest issues of an allegorical/fantasy
Hannah Rodes
Jul 28, 2015 Hannah Rodes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This book was (I think) waayyyy better then the first. "Kingdoms Dawn" (but that one I did like and it was good!), I really liked this one! (to bad it's not on my book shelf instead of my sisters :( ) the ending ah so, bittersweet. that is all I shall say about it for now:)
Readingtween
Nov 30, 2010 Readingtween rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review

The story starts with Lianad riding towards a battle. A lot of the time when this happens, the book doesn't quite pull it off. This one did. And it did it well. As I said before, the action in this book is great. Mr. Black captures the heat of battle and forms it into words greatly. I've always been a fan of a good sword (or lightsaber) battle. Kingdom's Hope has many of them.

If anything, this book expands the characters of the first book even more. There are new characters that make b
Rachael Steele
Oct 28, 2015 Rachael Steele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great books!
Corene Wilson
Apr 20, 2016 Corene Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Just as good as the last one. A great bible allegory.
Katie
Lienad and Tess are two amazing characters. I loved reading how they stand beside the King, no matter who is against them, and never waver in their trust for them. This is my second time through, but each adventure was just as good as the first time.

Love this medieval/fantasy retelling of the Bible!
Dylan Witzig
Nov 16, 2015 Dylan Witzig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Kingdom's Hope" by Chuck Black was about how Leinad had delivered the King's people with the help of the King. Tess, his dear friend, had been taken away from him and somehow they had come back together throughout the slavery of the people that had taken the King's people. When the time had finally come to take the King's people out of the bondage, Leinad had helped the King deliver out of what he had started.
I recommend this book to everybody because it is very exciting and is never not fun
Rachel
This truly is an exciting biblical-based fiction book series! It was curious but my sister said she did not like this book quite as much as the first. Myself, I found I enjoyed this one even MORE than the first. So I guess it's a matter of preference. ;)

"Leinad was not a warrior at heart, but he knew that was the necessary evil to fight evil itself. He looked for the pasture of peace that lay beyond the trench of war." (p.125)

I loved how this book opened up right in the middle of the action an
Bethany
Dec 06, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kingdom's Hope, the second book in the Kingdom Series is a wonderful continuation of the previous book, Kingdom's Dawn and continues in the epic story of Leinad, who represents Moses in this story. It is once again like the first book filled with suspense and that edge-of-your-seat feeling, and plenty of epic battle scenes. This book focuses mainly on the story told in Exodus of Moses and his being the voice for the Lord to Pharaoh to free his slaves and then the 40 years of wandering in the des ...more
Bailey Marissa Bowers
This book definitely broke the "show don't tell" rule. Also, I'm not ok with everyone repackaging the Bible into some kind of fantasy/sci-fi book instead of finding their own plot.

But the MC is not only Seth, but Nehemiah, Moses, and another prophet in this book (can't remember the third one grr) so it reads like some AU OoC fanfic. And I'm strangely ok with that.

(If you get my reference above I will consider you my Goodreads bff :) )
Lily
Oct 27, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how I feel about (view spoiler) I think I can get used to it! I think...!

I love how this story carries on from where the first book left off, riding right into the story of Moses (WHICH WAS AWESOME) and other cool prophets to Nehemiah.~ I wish the King had more scenes though!
Hollyn
Apr 20, 2016 Hollyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweens
Recommended to Hollyn by: My Brother
Shelves: middle-grade, 2015
Another middle grade medieval Bible retelling, why not? I figured this series needed another chance as it is my little brother's Favorite series of all time. I thought this book was better than the first one, maybe it was because all if the characters I liked weren't killed or hadn't disappeared by chapter 5.

I still don't like Lienad but I feel his character has developed some and is more likeable. I thought Tess would be a bigger more important character as Lienads second in command would get s
Christy Reed
As I said in my review for the first book, I loved the idea. But again, this book felt like it needed some revision, and like there was too much going on for its short length. I wish it had been longer, or divided into two books, so Mr. Black had time to develop the story line.
Misti
Sep 03, 2015 Misti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I did a little research on this Author and he is Christian. These are good books, however it's hard to read this book in the time frame that he has written because the stories are based off the same events in the bible so I keep thinking of Bible times atmosphere.
Raechel
Sep 03, 2014 Raechel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Chuck Black does an excellent job. I really enjoyed this book as well; I loved seeing it unfold and retell the Old Testament. It was well-done, and engaging.
Looking forward to the rest in the series!
Tashawna
This is the last book to Lenad and Tess's story, I believe.

The little romance in this book was sweet. :)

Recommended to: 9\10+

There is mild violence, as usual.
Gloria
Sep 17, 2014 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are learning about the Bible and its characters
This is the second book in the six book series. While I am probably not the target audience, the book again captured my attention and was rather hard to put down.

This book follows Leinad again through his adventures. The author is explicit in the discussion questions and the author's commentary as to the Biblical characters that Leinad and the other characters represent. There is even some romance included in this book, more in the abstract than having the reader experience it. But considering t
Beka
Feb 14, 2014 Beka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 2.5 stars. They've almost lost me with the ending. I'll try the 3rd book a little but I'm not sure if I'll continue.
Amy
Jul 21, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It is book 2 in The Kingdom series and this series continues to be amazing from one book to the next! On to book 3!
AndrewD6
Jan 07, 2016 AndrewD6 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first
Abigail Rasmussen
This book continues to develop the characters introduced in the first book of the series. The sword battles are intense and believable. Chuck Black does a great job weaving his characters into events that parallel many more Bible stories, yet keeping his own plot unpredictable and captivating.

Truth is defended, evil is fought against, and devotion to the king is honored. This modern classic is bound to encourage and inspire you.
Bree
May 11, 2008 Bree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fantasy!
Recommended to Bree by: My sister
This book was absolutely amazing! I loved it. It's definately helped me in my walk with God. It's taught me to completely trust in Him and give Him my all. I feel alot like Lienad. This last year it seems as though everything changed. I feel as though I've just opened my eyes to everything. I connected with Lienad. I felt as though I was him. This book has really strengthened my relationship with God.
Bethany Rose
Nov 08, 2011 Bethany Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rated-pg
I love this book! Absolutely amazing. Chuck Black has some of the best writing skills ever. But I am so sad that (view spoiler)! I was like totally in love with Leinad...

But I'm still looking forward to reading the rest of the awesome series! :D
Gabrielle
This one was way better then the first. However, there were a few things that I didn't like. I found it rediculous that they skipped 6 years right on the spot and I don't like the fact that they didn't say much about Zane until the end. But, I cried at the end when Tess was dying. I literally stood up and started screaming at the book. They're not the best books, but I will keep reading them.
Angela
Jul 08, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10+
This second book in the Kingdom series sucked me right in at the beginning. Right away, I was back with Leinad as he battled for King and Code. I loved how Leinad's story was narrated by Cedric, and how the whole series just ties together. I couldn't wait for the next book!
Meadow Frisbie
Apr 08, 2010 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Midevil time lovers
Recommended to Meadow by: My Dad
Shelves: fantasy, midieval
Leinad and Cendrick are awaiting a savior to rescue them from the what he world has turned into. But time is flying, and no leader has Appeared, even as the dark forces close in.

This was a fun series. I loved reading it and then realizing the alligory with the Bible
Austin
Sep 19, 2011 Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chuck Black fans
Shelves: knights
Not a bad book at all. I enjoyed this book a lot. My only problem is that I found it to short. That means to much was crammed into a short book. Like one sentence was days to weeks weeks to month and months to a year.Still was a good book.
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • The Heart of Arcrea (The Arcrean Conquest, #1)
  • The Bones of Makaidos (Oracles of Fire, #4)
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • Mystery of the Silver Coins (Viking Quest, #2)
  • Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #2)
  • Crown and Jewel
  • Glennall's Betrayal (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #4)
  • Mountains of Spices
202312
Chuck Black first wrote Kingdom’s Edge to inspire his children to read the Bible with renewed zeal. This captivating expanded parable led him to write the Old Testament allegories, Kingdom’s Dawn, Kingdom’s Hope, Kingdom’s Call, and Kingdom’s Quest. Chuck's currents works include the Knights of Arrethtrae series, Call to Arms, and his series in progress, Wars of the Realm.

Chuck is a former F-16 fi
More about Chuck Black...

Kingdom (6 books)
  • Kingdom's Dawn (Kingdom, #1)
  • Kingdom's Edge (Kingdom, #3)
  • Kingdom's Call (Kingdom, #4)
  • Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5)
  • Kingdom's Reign (Kingdom, #6)

“The problem with wearing a dress is that it clashes with a sword.” 45 likes
“He knew that the King was so much bigger than the circumstances they faced.” 12 likes