Start by marking “A, My Name Is Alice” as Want to Read:
A, My Name Is Alice

A, My Name Is Alice

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
The antic never quite quit as a parade of animals sell their wares in this wildly illustrated version of the familiar alphabet ditty and ball-bouncing game. Young readers will delight in meeting such characters as Barbara, the bear with balloons for sale in Brazil; New York Ned, the newt who owns a noodle emporium, and finally the zipper-selling Zambian zebra and zebu, Zel ...more
Published October 1st 1992 by Puffin Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about A, My Name Is Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A, My Name Is Alice

Lissa
Jun 17, 2012 Lissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet
When I saw the cover of this book, my first initial thought was it's just a book showing the ordinary words that we teach children, such as, Alice, ant, cat, dog; well I was very surprised. Not only was it very unusual it had words I was not familiar with, such as, Unau- a two toed tree-inhabitating mammel,and Quahog- a thick shelled American clam, etc. I loved all the different names and countries/states the animals came from. This book teaches the alphabet, but so much more. We can learn about ...more
Connie
Nov 08, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
We all (or most of us) know this game, whether we played it by bouncing a ball, jumping rope, clapping hands, or even just sitting on the stoop.

The author and illustrator have given this book a decidedly comic touch that I never had when I played this game - here I was, as a kid, like a FOOL searching for something reasonable to sell for "g" - and they have a goose and gorilla selling "giggles", of all things! The whole book tends this way - i has a great picture of the pair trying to sell ice
Amy Forrester
Mar 20, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
This book uses a well-known playground game and turns it into a hilarious romp through the alphabet. Each letter is celebrated by two animals who state their names, where they come from and what they sell. For instance, a hippo and her hamster husband shout out:

“H. My name is Hannah and my husband’s name is Henry. We come from Hawaii and we sell harps.”

The ridiculous situations and characters that spring out of these rhymes are illustrated with Kellogg's signature style full of whimsy and wordp
Monique Williams
Oct 14, 2012 Monique Williams rated it really liked it
This is a perfect alphabet book. The book goes through each letter of the alphabet and introduces married couples who are animals from different countries that begin with the letter. Each animal is different, for instance Alice is an ape and her husband is an anteater. Each animal sells different things. The pictures a really cute and the story is very cute and predictable.

Learning Experience: This would be a great alphabet book. You could do a whole unit on different countries and the differen
Fibersian
May 28, 2014 Fibersian rated it really liked it
This a fun read aloud ABC book. Letters are printed in large obvious print so I feel it is best for letter recognition. The alphabetic vignettes use most words that match the common sound of the letters but sometimes they are words with secondary sounds or digraphs that do not connect to the letters.

It is also good for vocabulary because of the variety of animals in the book many are pretty obscure which adds to the fun. Having real pictures of the animals would compliment the whimsical illustra
Cathi
Jun 10, 2015 Cathi rated it it was amazing
I've always loved alphabet books, and this one is superb! Not only is it fun and silly (not to mention educational), but it's filled with wonderful, humorous, detailed illustrations by Steven Kellogg. All of our children loved Steven Kellogg's books when they were young, especially the boys. I suppose it's his sense of mischief and wackiness that's so appealing. I certainly enjoy it, too.
Rosita
This book is so fun to use in a preschool classroom and uses in a well-known playground game and turns it into a hilarious romp through the alphabet. The children will learn each other classmates names and states. This book is a great resource to give the teacher with an opportunity to introduce many new vocabulary words to the children. It's colorful with different pictures that relates the letter, state, and name as well what they are doing together.

For example: My name is Lucy and my husband
Ashley M.
Nov 27, 2012 Ashley M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, humor, alaphabet
This alphabet book is sure to keep any child entertained with all the fun and new animals used throughout the book. The different letters are used to represent different married animal couples who's names start with each letter. The book uses illustrations to show each letter as well as the animals that go along with each.

For children in the classroom bring this book to life to use as a group activity. This game can as well be used during a transition to play with children waiting on others to j
Nadya
Feb 14, 2012 Nadya rated it really liked it
Shelves: repetition, abc-s
Review: This is a wonderful book to teach children about their abc’s! It uses the same theme “A my name is Alice and my husband’s name is Alex. We come from Alaska and we sell ants. Alice is an APE. Alex is an anteater,” for each letter of the alphabet. Some of the animals in this book are familiar and some are new. The names in this book and locations are different for children. This is a great book to expand the student’s vocabulary.

Learning Experience: A learning experience for this book is
Risa
Jul 23, 2012 Risa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: concept
Like many other alphabet books, this one goes through the alphabet with a picture to represent all of the letters in the alphabet. However, there is one big difference; children and adults alike will enjoy seeing some very unuasual creatures for the very first time. This provides the teacher with an opportunity to introduce many new vocabulary words to the children.

Extension:

The teacher will ask the children how many of the different types of the animals, birds, or fish from the book that they r
Vivian
Feb 13, 2014 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Of course we had to use this title to launch our six weeks of story times based on the classic novel Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Here's what we did...

"Let’s play a game with names. We’ll start with Alice. Then have children volunteer to let us play the game with their name. Flip to page in book with child’s first initial and play the game. Adults can help.

Song #1--Lyrics:
A ram sam sam, a ram sam sam
Guli guli guli guli guli ram sam sam
A ram sam sam, a ram sam sam
Guli guli guli guli guli
Meg McGregor
Nov 07, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
This is undoubtedly one of my favorite ABC books. Not only is the text imaginative, the pictures by Steven Kellogg, are first rate.

And I also like how the animals are identified at the bottom of each page.
Donna
Apr 29, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
Fun alphabet book with some unusual animal pairs selling everything from A-Z. As well as using it for the alphabet, it might be fun to a dictionary and/or atlas activity with the book.
Abby Morgan
May 26, 2015 Abby Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-play
Jane Bayer uses wildly rich language to practice alliteration. Children meet several characters that offer delightfully funny stories allowing for play.
Mandee
Apr 20, 2015 Mandee rated it liked it
A, My Name is Alice
1. In the jar at the beginning of the book Alphonse does not look like a regular tadpole so the reader expects that something else will happen in the story.
2. The students disappoint that Alphonse is no longer allowed at school and then they find him in the school swimming pool shows the different problem solving skills a child can use.

Mandy Couch
Apr 11, 2013 Mandy Couch rated it it was amazing
This book is a great way to keep children entertained while learning the alphabet. I feel putting animals into any story draws children to it. I love the illustrations and the alliteration with each letter of the alphabet.

Activity:

I would have children use the firt letter of their name to come up with a sentence using their name and alliteration. This could help children write their name, learn about alliteration and learn about each other. At the end of this activity I would put children in alp
Paul Candeias
Nov 27, 2012 Paul Candeias rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! Even though it is a basic ABC book, it does it in such a creative way using the couples and animals and countries. It is a book that really covers a multitude of domains to use as a teaching aid.

Lesson: As a teacher I could use this book for social studies and matching the countries on the book to where they are on a map, as well as using the animals and placing them in their habitats, or even just using the book to teach basic ABC.
Nicole Holden
Apr 14, 2012 Nicole Holden rated it liked it
Shelves: abc-s
This is a great book for teaching the alphabets and site words. I love the way this book uses different types of animals for every letter in the book. This cute book would be great for name recognition as well as naming the places mentioned in this book. Students can use the picture reading to figure out the occupation for each animal couple. In the back of the book is a short dictionary about the less familiar animal named in the book.

Danielle Baker
Nov 21, 2013 Danielle Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet-books
Review:

This is a wonderful to get children engaged in the alphabet. It is different that tradition 'A' is for apple books. The illusrataions are colorful. Children would love the excitment in this book.

Learning Experience:

I would have children go around a circle and say their name and something they like with the same beginning letter sound as their name. "Hi my name is Danielle and I like donunts."

Andrea
Jun 17, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: novelty, reference

Book type ;Fable ,Instructional.

The book, “A, My Name Is Alice” is an alphabet book .This is a great book for children to follow along with .The book is filled with names of animals from all over the world. Also it’s filled with alliterations. When a child reads this alphabet book, he or she will use different name for places, things, and animals. Also, it can be used for the teaching of nouns.

Carol
Oct 02, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Year published:1992
Age Level: Grades K-4

This book is adorable and I love the pattern used in this story. I used this book with my Language Arts group to give them a different idea about how to write Alphabet books and pattern books. My students all of a sudden were writing all their own types of alphabet and pattern books and looking up countries all over the world to help them!
Toyin Dabiri
Jun 19, 2012 Toyin Dabiri rated it it was amazing
This book teaches about letters and it is age appropriate for preschool children. From reading this book, children are able to know the first letter of their name. They can identify letters with the first name of objects.

Learning extensions: Teacher and the children sit on the carpet and they say the alphabets. She asks children the first letters of their first name.
Kathy Pollock
Sep 28, 2010 Kathy Pollock rated it liked it
I read this book to my Kindergartners and they were in hysterics. All of the animals names begin with the letter so does their husbands name and they all sell something that also begins with the same letter. It is kind of a quirky ABC book but the combination of animals that are husband and wife along with the pictures had my students laughing up a storm.
Thelma Walker
Apr 07, 2013 Thelma Walker rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book for teaching children the letters of the alphabets. children can learn about names of thr States and different countries.

Extension: An activity after reading this book would be to play a matching game, having the children try to match their names to different cities and states that start with the same letter as their first name.
Kayla Larsen
Dec 01, 2014 Kayla Larsen added it
Shelves: word-play
Alphabet
Liz Todd
Aug 23, 2013 Liz Todd rated it liked it
I wonder if this book has a song.

I'm not the biggest fan of ABC books, but this one was decent. I also need to learn what an echidna is (and how to pronounce it), since this animal has shown up in 2 ABC books recently.

Lots of fun activities can go with this book for learning names and letters.

Alyssa
May 16, 2013 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordplay
This is a great book to introduce the different sounds that go with each letter, as it does more than simply state a letter and then a word. Each letter has a sentence that incorporates words with the appropriate letter sound, putting the sound in context instead of in isolation.
Taahira
Jan 30, 2013 Taahira rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful for learning the Alphabet, alitteration, countries, and animals! And the pictures are wonderfully complex, exciting and colorful! I also like that the wording is basically the same throughout except for some words changed--it gives it a nice rhythm and consistency.
Takeisha Hannor
Apr 10, 2012 Takeisha Hannor rated it really liked it
Shelves: adjectives
A good book to teach children how to build on words. This book describes a different character for each letter of the alphabet. Each description includes the character's name, place he or she lives, and occupation.
Lavinia
Dec 15, 2012 Lavinia rated it it was amazing
The book was about the beginning of husbands and wives names. I liked this book.

The umbrella part was silly. It was very silly. And in the picture, I noticed that someone with an umbrella was drowning.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »