Start by marking “One Train Later: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
One Train Later: A Memoir

One Train Later: A Memoir

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  435 ratings  ·  66 reviews
“The train jerks to a halt, and as I get out at Oxford Circus, Stewart gets out with me. We look at each other, laugh, and make the standard remark about it being a small world. But this is the brilliant collision, one train later and it might all have turned out differently.”

In this extraordinary memoir, world-renowned guitarist Andy Summers provides a revealing and passi
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published October 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about One Train Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Train Later

Kirsti
Jan 25, 2009 Kirsti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kirsti by: Michelle, Chris
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
"In the studio the tension is so high that you can hear it twanging like an out-of-tune piano. As a group we seem to swing between high emotional intensity and sophomoric fraternity with surprising ease, almost like a group version of bipolar disorder. The best result is that when 'it' happens, we can play with an empathy that is hard to imagine achieving with other people. But making albums is a brutal affair: you are forced to stand down, moodily let go of an idea, play someone else's idea, wa ...more
Kristin
Wow, either Andy Summers or his ghostwriter is a florid little writer. It gets to be a bit much, especially for a rock guitarist.

I'd recommend this book for music majors, as Summers goes into quite a bit of detail about, say E#7 chords with flatted 9ths, etc., so the non-theoried among readers may get wicked bored. I know music theory and it bored me, frankly. Also there is, imo, way too much information on Summers' past before the Police, which I was not really interested in. Yes, he was nearl
Graden
One of the best Biography's of a musician I have read. A perfect balance of personal and professional information. He also digs a little deeper than some when discussing the making of the music which I love. Of course, his great sense of humor does not hurt at all.
Bruce
Mar 14, 2008 Bruce rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of session musician memoirs
This is a well-written memoir, filled (when not name-dropping Police song titles) with impressionistic passages such as this typical one from page 9,

"Between the ages of seven and twelve the overpowering sense of nature makes me feel drunk, and in a future filled with electricity, lights, and loud music, it will linger like a sanctifying echo, a chord I used to know.... I fancy myself as [Dr.] Doolittle junior, a son of nature strolling through long grass with a pipe in my mouth. I pore over boo
Jason
There’s a familiar feeling I get when reaching the end of a book I’ve really enjoyed. It’s a bittersweet, slightly disorienting sensation of departing -- against your will -- a world that’s thoroughly captivated you, even if some part of you knew all along that your time there was destined to be limited.

In this insightful musical autobiography, guitarist Andy Summers shares in intimate detail how he came to experience that same sensation, arriving -- after great tribulation -- at the peak of a
Christian
Okay. What a book! Andy's wit and sense of humour are present in any video footage of the man but, in the written medium, he really shines. As a huge Police fan, I knew this book would be great, but was unprepared for this. Extremely hard to put down and, although it has been a few years since last reading, is far better than Sting's 'Broken Music'. Andy is a natural story teller and, in my humble opinion, has a bright future in writing, if he ever chooses to pursue it. 5 stars and highly recomm ...more
Christi
This book is much more than the story of The Police as told by the guitarist (you know one of those two guys besides Sting who is in the band?)
I really enjoyed his writing style - descriptive, honest,
funny, very British

An interesting portrait of the making of a rock star. He came from very humble beginnings with a great love for music. A lot of talent, determination and some luck is what got him from playing in local pubs in a broken down van to having hit records, groupies and selling out are
Bryant
Andy Summers is a fantastic writer! I really hated to finish this book because it was so interesting. The book starts in the early 1950's when Andy was a young boy and ends in August 1983 when the Police were at the pinnacle of their popularity. Before I read this book I had no idea that Andy had been part of the whole 'swinging London' scene of the 1960's. Being part of that scene allowed him to be friends with such folks as Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, etc.
Todd
I've always respected the Police, can't say I was ever a huge fan. Imagine my surprise when I became engrossed with this book while in Glasgow for a couple days last winter. The book was in the possession of host, and I read about half the book in the time available. Finally picked up a copy for myself and gave it a fresh read cover to cover. Engaging, honest and insightful. Sometimes the grass isn't greener...
Ben Eldridge
Jun 13, 2007 Ben Eldridge rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A solid rock biog
The Police have just reformed and are selling out stadiums again.
Here's how it all began.
Summers writes well and his erudite style is good fun.
He has some great anecdotes in here about masochistic piano teachers husbands, selling Eric Clapton his 'Fresh Cream' Les Paul, meeting Hendrix and trading his marriage for 30 rolls of film and a magic mushroom omelette.
Philip
Holy shit. This book is fantastic. Andy writes extraordinarily well. The account of his life as a starving musician in London and Los Angeles, before he joined the Police, is fascinating and inspiring. The Police years were pretty incredible as well, apparently. Highly recommended for musicians and non-musicians.
Dad
Sep 08, 2008 Dad rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any classic rock lover
As a life-long musician, I found the book to be honest and grounded. The style and delivery were a bit slow to start, but once they got going it was a smooth and enjoyable glide right to the end. If you were born in the 50's or 60's and have any regard for classic rock, read this. Andy does a nice job.
Spyder
Oct 26, 2007 Spyder rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Andy, The Police, British 60's, 70's and 80's pop and guitarists
This is probably the best musician autobiography I've ever read. It is non-pretentious, enlightening and inspiring.

Andy has witnessed and participated in far more that just The Police musically and skirted the edge of superstardom for decades. If you're a guitarist, get ready to start practising again.
Keith
Aug 20, 2007 Keith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any police fan
Interesting perspective on the growth and evolution of a "rock star". Mr. Summers is articulate, witty, and also very humble and down to earth. This book really humanized the "rock star" image, and brought into perspective why The Police were such a great band.

A great read!
Amanda
Frankly, I wasn't expecting much when I borrowed this book from my sister but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this book. He has led a very interesting life and I was glad to see that most of the book wasn't about when he was in the Police.
Dave
Dec 24, 2007 Dave rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Police Fans
A very good rock 'n roll memoir. Provides some insight into the dynamics of The Police as well as a glimpse into the London rock scene in the late 6o's and early 70's. Summers writes stylishly and with considerable wit and intelligence.
Motez Bishara
Andy Summers is undoubtedly a world-class guitarist, and carries a wealth of knowledge about the roots of popular music. He tacitly confesses, however, that he's not a world-class songwriter. And this is why One Train Later is a fascinating book. The paradox of being at the top of your game in the biggest band in the world, but being tied for a distant second in terms of member hierarchy is stomach-turning for the author.

Would you rather be the 6th or 7th man on the Bulls championship runs (you
Jason
my second favorite Policeman...right behind stewart copeland. not only is this guys story intriguing, his writing style is so poetic. read it or die.
Dawn
I am crushing hard on Andy Summers. It's unfair that some people get to hog all the talent - in addition to being a musical pioneer, he's a damned fine writer.
Roxanne
Excellet storyteller, really felt his passion for music and his instument. Even not being a guitar player I was along for the ride.
Dave
Feb 06, 2008 Dave rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Police fanatics
Of course, Andy Summers is the very talented guitar player from the Police. I was really excited about reading this, and apparently I wasn't the only one because I know the book made it to paperback. Based on the tone and style of writing, the book was obviously written with a ghost writer, which is probably just as well but definitely something to be aware of before reading. The wording is often too flowery and esoteric for its context, which can actually detract from the experience at times.

Th
Nick Milani
Guitarist from the Police recounts his early days learning guitar, becoming a musician and eventual fame and fortune with the Police. It's written in a fairly different (albeit pretentious) style that most rock biographies, flicking back and forth between his story and scenes of him preparing for their final gig in 1983. This style added nothing for me but the stories he recalls are all pretty good, filled with lots of drugs and debauchery throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's. Some of the ones rec ...more
Jeff Yoders
Amazing story of how Andy Summers went from being the burned-out former guitarist in The Animals to meeting Stewart Copeland and Gordon Sumter, two men of a younger generation who loved rock n' roll as much as him, and created the greatest prog-rock band in the history of the world: the Police.

Amazing detail about just how long Summers worked at his craft, a career of 20 years, just to "make it overnight." Also an amazing timepiece that shows just how different the world was in the '80s than it
Mattkelly
By far the best memoir from a member of the Police. No axe to grind, no bad blood, just an incredible story of paying your dues and really enjoying things when you hit it big.

Summers was around in the 60s playing with Hendrix and other London luminaries, but despite his talent he struggled to find his place in the cannibalistic music scene. He even sold one of his Les Pauls to Eric Clapton (it became one of Clapton's main instruments). Jaded and depressed, after a brief attempt at making it in
Cynthia
So far, so good! I disagree with one review that this book was probably written by a ghost writer. I am biased. I think Summers is gifted. I am thrilled with his large vocabulary and clever witticisms! Yes, it's wordy. At times, overflowing with superfluous descriptors. It seems to be his own voice, however, and that makes me like it.

I read Sting's autobiography and I certainly hope his was written by a ghost writer. If it was, I am surprised he let it go to press. The writing was subpar, and S
Jo-Ann
Well...I cannot say exactly why but I thought I'd enjoy this book more than I actually did. I have been a fan of "The Police" and have seen them in concert, and perhaps didn't want the fantasy to be marred by reality...there's one theory. The band remains a favorite but I will not rush to read about them or their travails.
Arris Roordink
It is pretty rare, a mucisian who can actually write and tell a story. Summers is witty, self-depreciative and does not avoid criticism. But best off all: he never fails to explain the musical choices he and his bands made during his career.
Holly
Andy Summers writes more beautifully than I expected. That said, it is similar to talking to an old rocker in person--he jumps from one thought to another so abruptly at times that you're not sure you made it onto the connecting train with him. But then you figure out where he is, and you continue to enjoy the ride.

I really wish that someone (andy summers) would have made a companion CD with all the tracks he specifically mentions in order. His musical knowledge and history are so vast, and I re
Tom
Andy Summers is best known for playing guitar in the Police. This book tells the story of his life as a musician, starting out in jazz bands in Dorset, playing in Zoot Money's Big Roll Band at The Flamingo in London, and his trip through enlightenment, Dantalian's Chariot, The Animals, Kevin Coyne's band, and finally stadiums with The Police.

Throughout the book, he is driven by music, explaining some guitar techniques, and full of the joy of a true believer, delighting in Thelonious Monk, Duke E
Judeanne
One Train Later isn't much different than ice skating. It barely cuts below the surface. Summers gives a decent amount of detail and loves to use strings of beautiful yet unnecessary adjectives. He describes things, events, experiences, and people with flourish but gives them zero substance. It is his memoir and it is, without a doubt, all about him. Ironically, towards the end, in discussing the deterioration of The Police and his marriage, Summers examines the role of egos and selfishness but ...more
  • Strange Things Happen: A Life with The Police, Polo, and Pygmies
  • Bill Bruford - The Autobiography: Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks and More
  • When I Left Home: My Story
  • So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star: How I Machine-Gunned a Roomful Of Record Executives and Other True Tales from a Drummer's Life
  • Broken Music
  • Bumping Into Geniuses: My Life Inside the Rock and Roll Business
  • Apathy for the Devil: A 1970s Memoir
  • This Wheel's on Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of the Band
  • Unforgettable Fire: Past, Present and Future--The Definitive Biography of U2
  • Thirty-Nine Years of Short-Term Memory Loss: The Early Days of SNL from Someone Who Was There
I'll Be Watching You: Inside the Police 1980-83 Throb Andy Summers: El tren que no perdí Desirer Walks the Streets The Guitar Handbook