Start by marking “Mirror Ball Man” as Want to Read:
Mirror Ball Man

Mirror Ball Man

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"Bullet holes in a Life Is Great T-shirt. It was the kind of cheap irony I would have written a song about, normally. But it wasn't so funny when it happened to someone I knew." Singer Baxter McLean had one hit in the 1980s, "Mirror Ball Man," but he's barely scraped by as a barroom folksinger ever since. Now yuppies and developers are taking over the funky little harbor t ...more
Published August 11th 2010 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Mirror Ball Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirror Ball Man

I really like Joel Brown's writing.

Baxter is a one hit wonder. When he was young he had a huge hit with the folk song Mirror Ball Man.

That was a long time ago.

Now he is a divorced musician with a son he loves and very little money. He lives in Libertyport where everyone knows him, and most people like him. It is a coastal town that has the townies being edged out by the yuppies who want to gentrify their world.

One morning as he is doing his early morning walk, he discovers a body. And then thin
Very good read.

The hero, a failed folksinger who had one hit decades earlier (the 'Mirror Ball Man' of the title), lives in a Massachusetts harbor tourist town. Baxter McLean now sings mostly at bars and bemoans the surge of yuppies and developers taking over his town.

When one of the would-be developers is shot right after Baxter sings a fiery song against his hotel project at a zoning hearing, Baxter's a suspect. Between Baxter trying to prove to the law and the town that he's innocent, and dea
Rosemary Krol
This was a fantastic mystery. Also quite the page turner. I couldn't put it down. You will be totally shocked by the ending. I have a lot of friends who read this one and had the same experience. If you like mysteries, this is a must read.
Linda Denison
A one-hit music-man now lives in a waterfront town where a would-be hotel developer is murdered. The music-man is the prime suspect so he decides to poke around and play detective. This was a great read, and a puzzle of a mystery.
As a New England native, I really enjoyed the books setting. It was a good story. I will most likely read Joel's other book.
Apr 02, 2012 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: Free Kindle book that looked interesting
Quick read. The plot kept me guessing and I was surprised with the ending.
Feb 08, 2012 Linda added it
Lots of fun, especially if you're from the area. Quick 'beach' read.
Enjoyed the humor.
Joslyn marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
molly marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Tanya Zachary
Tanya Zachary marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Arthetta Rodgers
Arthetta Rodgers marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Mary Lewis
Mary Lewis marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Jay Johnson
Jay Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Sue marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
June marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Cheri marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I write for the Boston Globe, and many others. I've also worked for, the Boston Herald, the Daily Southtown in Chicago and the Greenfield Recorder in Massachusetts. I'm a native of Cambridge, Mass., a lifelong Red Sox fan and a Newburyport resident.
More about Joel Brown...