Start by marking “Culture Shock! Morocco” as Want to Read:
Culture Shock! Morocco

Culture Shock! Morocco

Whether you travel for business, pleasure, or a combination of the two, the ever-popular "Culture Shock!" series belongs in your backpack or briefcase. Get the nuts-and-bolts information you need to survive and thrive wherever you go. "Culture Shock!" country guides are easy-to-read, accurate, and entertaining crash courses in local customs and etiquette. "Culture Shock!" ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Graphic Arts Center Publishing Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Culture Shock! Morocco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culture Shock! Morocco

liz
Oct 09, 2007 liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly quick, and super-informative to boot. Morocco is such a beautiful, fascinating place, and I found this book to be accurate.

In the crowded ancient medinas, young men in designer jeans haggle over cell phones alongside traditionally dressed women shopping for housewears. In the fertile countryside, a farmer riding on a goat is as common a sight as a television satellite perched on a mud-brick roof. [Satellite dishes were everywhere!] Moroccan culture is difficult to pigeonhole. It is a u
Theresa
Mar 28, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing
I read this book after having lived in Morocco for several months and was impressed with its accuracy, especially in regards to certain cultural practices. Loved it and recommend it often.
Beata Bowen
Jan 09, 2011 Beata Bowen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel, 2011
Although written primarily with expats in mind, this is an excellent overview of Moroccan culture. Anyone planning on traveling anywhere exotic and foreign could use a lesson on culture and cultural taboos and I am very glad I read this book before venturing into Morocco.

The one section that had me scratching my head dealt with domestic help and perhaps I'm naive and/or Marxist, but I have a hard time with the assumption that poor people (anywhere, even in Morocco) gladly accept their lot in li
A-ron
Feb 11, 2007 A-ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I read this to prepare for a trip to Morocco. It is a bit general, but still proved useful for my trip. I have loaned it to others who have travelled to Morocco and they also found it useful... so its of some use.

My main problem with it is how general much of the advice seems to be as if all countries with some Arabic culture are remarkably similar. But what do i know, as I have not travelled all that much.
Jul 11, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: morocco
I will definitely be re-reading this book closer to my trip to Morocco. Mr. Hargraves did and excellent job of providing the traveller insight into Morocco and the way of doing things and looking at the world for the average Moroccan.

My one criticism would be that it would have been helpful to have pronuciations given throughout the book, rather than just having a pronunciation listing for the alphabet.
Courtney
May 13, 2010 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-morocco
This book would be most valuable if read before visiting Morocco. Despite being written 15 years ago, save the statistics and minor upgrades to travel information, it is still incredibly accurate. I found the tone to be somewhat condescending with regard to Moroccan culture BUT the chapter about work is (hilarious and) wholly accurate.
Kaye
Read for a trip to Morocco that didn't happen. Interesting look at Moroccan life and beliefs. Probably quite useful for someone planning to live there.
Kindle edition not recommended. Tables and what I expect were sidebars in the printed edition were very hard to read.
Elizabeth Theiss
Feb 24, 2013 Elizabeth Theiss rated it really liked it
Shelves: morocco
A nice basic introduction to Moroccan culture, this is well worth reading before you travel.
Corinne
Did a fantastic job outlining cultural norms of Moroccans. I found it helped me understand the people in the country and enjoy my trip much more.
Baniza
Feb 23, 2014 Baniza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Complete guide.
Ali Crain
Nov 27, 2015 Ali Crain rated it it was amazing
Very useful information and resource guide for living in Morocco and what to expect
Anny
Dec 09, 2007 Anny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good overview of Moroccan customs and etiquette but waaaay overgeneralized and outdated on several accounts...funny to read after three months of living with a Moroccan family...
R Ann
Oct 11, 2008 R Ann rated it liked it
interestingly engaging since I've been here for 7 months. Still some of the explanations of cultural norms were insightful.
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2009
K
K rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2008
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Jack Preston
Jack Preston rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Mandi
Mandi rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Jason Smith
Jason Smith rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2016
Marichka2186
Marichka2186 rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2008
Eugene Roach
Eugene Roach rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2011
Diana Poole
Diana Poole rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Ulrika Eriksson
Ulrika Eriksson rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2017
Carol Stepick
Carol Stepick rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2017
Ethan
Ethan rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Miles Tuttle
Miles Tuttle rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2011
Elizabeth Thomas
Elizabeth Thomas rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Brittani
Brittani rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Orin Hargraves is a native and current resident of Colorado. He graduated from the University of Chicago (BA with Honors) in 1977. He served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Morocco in the 1980s. He is the author of three guidebooks in the Culture Shock! series: Morocco, London, and Chicago. He began his career in lexicography while living in London in the early 1990s. He has since written numerous a ...more
More about Orin Hargraves...