Culture Shock! Morocco

Culture Shock! Morocco

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Whether you travel for business, pleasure, or a combination of the two, the ever-popular "Culture Shock!" series belongs in your backpack or briefcase. Get the nuts-and-bolts information you need to survive and thrive wherever you go. "Culture Shock!" country guides are easy-to-read, accurate, and entertaining crash courses in local customs and etiquette. "Culture Shock!"...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Graphic Arts Center Publishing Company (first published 1995)

Theresa
I read this book after having lived in Morocco for several months and was impressed with its accuracy, especially in regards to certain cultural practices. Loved it and recommend it often.
liz
Certainly quick, and super-informative to boot. Morocco is such a beautiful, fascinating place, and I found this book to be accurate.

In the crowded ancient medinas, young men in designer jeans haggle over cell phones alongside traditionally dressed women shopping for housewears. In the fertile countryside, a farmer riding on a goat is as common a sight as a television satellite perched on a mud-brick roof. [Satellite dishes were everywhere!] Moroccan culture is difficult to pigeonhole. It is a u...more
Beata Bowen
Although written primarily with expats in mind, this is an excellent overview of Moroccan culture. Anyone planning on traveling anywhere exotic and foreign could use a lesson on culture and cultural taboos and I am very glad I read this book before venturing into Morocco.

The one section that had me scratching my head dealt with domestic help and perhaps I'm naive and/or Marxist, but I have a hard time with the assumption that poor people (anywhere, even in Morocco) gladly accept their lot in li...more
I will definitely be re-reading this book closer to my trip to Morocco. Mr. Hargraves did and excellent job of providing the traveller insight into Morocco and the way of doing things and looking at the world for the average Moroccan.

My one criticism would be that it would have been helpful to have pronuciations given throughout the book, rather than just having a pronunciation listing for the alphabet.
A-ron
I read this to prepare for a trip to Morocco. It is a bit general, but still proved useful for my trip. I have loaned it to others who have travelled to Morocco and they also found it useful... so its of some use.

My main problem with it is how general much of the advice seems to be as if all countries with some Arabic culture are remarkably similar. But what do i know, as I have not travelled all that much.
Courtney
This book would be most valuable if read before visiting Morocco. Despite being written 15 years ago, save the statistics and minor upgrades to travel information, it is still incredibly accurate. I found the tone to be somewhat condescending with regard to Moroccan culture BUT the chapter about work is (hilarious and) wholly accurate.
Anny
A good overview of Moroccan customs and etiquette but waaaay overgeneralized and outdated on several accounts...funny to read after three months of living with a Moroccan family...
Corinne
Did a fantastic job outlining cultural norms of Moroccans. I found it helped me understand the people in the country and enjoy my trip much more.
R Ann
interestingly engaging since I've been here for 7 months. Still some of the explanations of cultural norms were insightful.
Elizabeth Theiss
A nice basic introduction to Moroccan culture, this is well worth reading before you travel.
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
We Will
We Will is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2014
Nawal Zeroual
Nawal Zeroual marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Hanae
Hanae marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Sherri Morgan
Sherri Morgan marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Ida Karim
Ida Karim marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Unknown➰ '
Unknown➰ ' marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Achraf Elomari
Achraf Elomari marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
رَغْــــدٌ
رَغْــــدٌ marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Culture Shock! London At Your Door Mighty Fine Words and Smashing Expressions: Making Sense of Transatlantic English Culture Shock! Chicago: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette (Culture Shock! Guides) It's Been Said Before: A Guide to the Use and Abuse of Cliches Slang Rules!: A Practical Guide for English Learners