Start by marking “The Christmas Letters: A Timeless Story for Every Generation” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Letters: A Timeless Story for Every Generation

The Christmas Letters: A Timeless Story for Every Generation

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The nine letters Grandpa hands to his family each contain a personal story of how they brought joy to him. This volume-which has sold more than 60,000 copies since its initial publication-has been repackaged as a gift hardcover.
Published October 12th 2006 by Center Street (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Letters

Denise
I enjoyed this little book very much, for its positive, life-affirming story about a last Christmas with the narrator's Grandpa. I found some lovely truths in its pages. Actually, the kind of story I could read again next Christmas season, as it has a timeless feel.
Tracie
Dec 13, 2013 Tracie rated it liked it
As I've been making my way through Christmas books, I came across The Christmas Letters. The digital edition I read had only 15 pages, so I was surprised to see that it is listed as an 80 page hardback book.

To me this isn't really a story at all. There isn't really a plot. The story of the grandfather is really more of a device to make a point about Christmas. And yet it escapes being preachy or pendantic. It also, however, also escapes being heart-warming. There is not enough development of th
Cindy
Nov 30, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
A short, sweet reminder of what Christmas is all about..."May the peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
tara johnston
Dec 25, 2015 tara johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I read it to my kids every Christmas so the get what the true meaning of Christmas is all about
Marla
Jan 26, 2016 Marla rated it liked it
A 10 minute read relating what Christmas is all about - sweet
Kathy
Dec 22, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one in my basket of Christmas books - quick cute story.
Marte Risher
Too simplistic.

Not to my taste, but possibly it will appeal to others. I just expected something more. But sending out a Merry Christmas to all, and to all ... a good night.
Pat
Dec 21, 2009 Pat rated it really liked it
A neat book about letters spelling CHRISTMAS that a grandfather gives his wife, children, grandchildren on Christmas Eve knowing he may not be there the next one. Each letter stands for something unique about each person - S is for daughter-in-law who each Christmas makes aniseed cookies which only the Grandfather loves. Then he cuts out a "J" for Jesus and gives each a piece of the "J" to go with their letter. Very nice book, short too.
Kimberly
Oct 25, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This story is a terrific tale as each family member receives a precious memento from a person held in high regard and cherished by all (Grandpa). Readers will appreciate the gift from Grandpa as Bret Nicholaus provides touching short vignettes of what Grandpa says in his letters to each person. The Christmas Letters is an uplifting holiday tale that reminds the audience what really is blessed about life is giving and receiving love.
Julbs
Dec 24, 2015 Julbs rated it it was amazing
I bought this book early this year and I waited until Christmas Day before reading this book. Truly, this is a tear-jerker Christmas story. I love that Jesus is the center of this story.

Merry Christmas to all!
Amanda
Dec 20, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the grinch
Recommended to Amanda by: my mom
This is a quick read. If you had an awesome grandpa it will make you kind of sad but it is kind of uplifting as you get to the point. It really is a good story about the true meaning of Christmas.
Dec 17, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Looking for a quick holiday read? Check out my review...

Michelle
Dec 06, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This book shows the real meaning of Christmas through the eyes of a man that will not spend another holiday with his family. A truly beautiful story
Annell
Dec 30, 2011 Annell rated it it was amazing
What amazing and great reminder of Christmas and family.

Lori LaBelle
Jan 21, 2008 Lori LaBelle rated it it was ok
Extremely short book. Story is nice but had I known it would be a 15 minute read I would not have spent $14 on it through my book club!
Jill
Nov 24, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it
A super quick 5 minute read with a heartwarming message. A fun idea I might have to adopt this Christmas.
Angie
Sep 27, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it
A short, sweet story about the importance of family and remembering the Savior. Very good book.
Stephanie Jeanne
Aug 01, 2008 Stephanie Jeanne rated it really liked it
About the length of a childrens book. Great Christmas story though
dion
Dec 12, 2012 dion rated it it was ok
Great idea, good plot, but the story was way too short.
Tara
Jan 02, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing
I read this one every Christmas. I really love it.
Andrea
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Kathy Schnure
Kathy Schnure marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Terry Pool
Terry Pool rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016