Start by marking “If... (Questions For The Game of Life)” as Want to Read:
If... (Questions For The Game of Life)

If... (If... #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Published October 3rd 1995 by Villard (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about If..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If...

The Reading Countess
Publisher's Summary: In an elegant, two-color format, punctuated with intriguing drawings, If . . . poses hundreds of questions ranging from practical to maddening, moral to hilarious--which, if read alone, inspire self-exploration; if shared, spark fascinating discussions at gatherings, dinner parties, or meetings.
************************************************************************
Dr. Teri Lesesne mentioned this book at a workshop I went to recently. This is the first in a series of IF boo...more
Debbie
Sep 28, 2014 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Debbie by: Nannette Roach
Whether you are attempting to strike up an interesting conversation with friends or using this book as a tool for introspective look at yourself, it is brilliantly done. The book (and subsequent editions are filled with challenging and intriguing questions to take you beyond the small talk of everyday life.
Lindsay
This book had some creepy questions...... some i didn't want to think about and other that i knew the answers to right away without much thought.....this was an interesting read.
Katherine
It's a great ice breaker and it's so simple, I could have written it myself and made millions! I also recommend it to many parents at my school when they're stuck trying to figure out topics for their kids to write about. One great prompt is "If you were stuck on an island, what three things would you bring and why?." I also advice them to sit down and write with their children then share- that way, they're doing something fun together, they're sharing about each other and the kids are practicin...more
Kurt
I bring this book on just about every trip I take with a group. It transforms car rides and hotel lobbies and really gets people to open up by giving them permission to ask and answer hard questions that someone else has written down. I add a rule that when a question asks for a person's name, the answer must be someone everyone in the group knows (so you can't make up a best friend in second grade who may be your role model but doesn't tell the group anything about you).
Jeannette
May 07, 2009 Jeannette rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeannette by: Reb
Shelves: life
This is a good conversation/game starter. Here are some fun examples:

If you could kill the pet of anybody you know, whose pet would it be?

If you could relive one single day fom your past exactly as it was the first time, what day would you choose to experience all over again?

If you could realize a dream that you have had while asleep, what dream would you pick?
Renee
Aug 21, 2007 Renee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends getting to know each other
Shelves: topshelf
This is a BLAST! It's a great way to break the ice. Consider questions you never would have asked yourself, or others for that matter. I got this book from a very dear old friend, born in England, lived in Scotland, and nurtured us here in the states. My favorite thing to do is to sit around a campfire passing the book around and posing the question, "IF..."
Robin Conley
This book would be a great party game. The questions throughout vary from ones you can answer quickly to ones that would really make you think. Either way, it'd be fun to use this with a group and get discussions going, as well as to see what your friends would say. Definitely could start a few interesting conversations.
Carol Hardesty
It started out interesting enough. But as it went along, the questions kept seeming to repeat themselves. It wasn't quite the thought-provoking read I had hoped it would be. If anything, this book is a conversation piece.
Courtney Klein
Overall a great way to start a conversation or get to know someone. There are some repetitive sounding questions though and some of the questions are a bit far stretched to be appropriate for many situations (sex/murder).
Alyssa
I've had this book in my collection for years and have absolutly loved it.

So many questions make for: a great converation starter, a great group question/answer book or a great road-trip book.

angrykitty
this is a great "what if" game book....duh. it's the title. these are more serious though and are not the "if you could do it with a golden girl..." type what ifs.
this is a good one to take on road trips. we took it on our long drive to florida and the questions sparked some interesting conversations!
Kevin
If you were an insect, which one would you be. That sort of questions. Fun stuff. Icebreaker kind of questions.
Brian Sturtz
A set of books that started my relationship with my wife while on RA staff at BGSU. Still on the shelf!
Christina
Lots of fun for dinner parties of any size or long tortuous car trips!
Victoria
Aug 29, 2007 Victoria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers and students
I used to use these "if" statements to start conversation in the classroom.
Soul-jurney
This is a wonderful thought provoking book for the whole family
Don Gubler
Intriguing and revealing questions to ask yourself or others.
Adrian
A Classic party game and way to get know people you think you know...
Camille
This is my all time favorite book! It never gets old.
Karen
Overall a fun book to use to journal with.
Erin
Fun book w/ interesting questions--best if read w/ others!
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Hee Ra
Hee Ra marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Chelsea Adrian
Chelsea Adrian marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Linda Schaeber
Linda Schaeber marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
  • The Book of Questions
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • Creative Thinkering: Putting Your Imagination to Work
  • All About Me
  • Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives
  • The Key: A True Encounter
  • Oneness With All Life Treasury Edition: Inspirational Selections from A New Earth
  • If Life Is a Game, These Are the Rules
  • Bobblehead Dad: 25 Life Lessons I Forgot I Knew
  • How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything... in Business (and in Life)
  • The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death
  • Kokology: The Game of Self Discovery (Two Volumes in One)
  • Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • The Book of (Even More) Awesome
  • HYPERtheticals: 50 Questions for Insane Conversations
  • Heroes for My Son
  • Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals
If..., Volume 2: (500 New Questions for the Game of Life) If..., Volume 3: (Questions for the Game of Love) How Far Will You Go?: Questions to Test Your Limits If..., Volume 4: Questions for the Soul The Big Book of If