Start by marking “Pigs Might Fly” as Want to Read:
Pigs Might Fly

Pigs Might Fly

Daggie Dogfoot, the runt of the litter, is in danger. The pigman, who takes all runts from their pens, is coming for him! But Daggie is a pig of remarkable qualities, and he's not about to let the Pigman get him. Instead, he runs away and decides to learn how to fly. But when he tries leaping off a cliff, he discovers another talent -- a talent he'll need to save the entir ...more
Published November 1st 1990 by Puffin Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Pigs Might Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pigs Might Fly

Lola
Aug 17, 2012 Lola rated it it was amazing

This is one of the best books i have ever read!!!! It is such an awsome book!!!!! It shows that even a runt can do anything if they set their mind to it. Dick King Smith is such a great author i love how he writes about pigs!!!! I love his stories!!!!!! I want to have a pot bellied pig when i grow up!!!!!!
A. Dawes
Aug 30, 2016 A. Dawes rated it it was amazing
Dick King-Smith was my go-to writer, along with Roald Dahl, as a primary school kid. He wasn't as dark or nearly as wicked as Dahl but like Dahl, he did weave magic and delight into his stories. I hardly hear of him outside of Babe these days, which I feel is pretty tragic.

In this story, Daggie Dogfoot, is the runt in a litter of pigs - and he's in peril. The Pigman is after him. But Daggie has other plans and escapes the pen.

Daggie is a champ. He challenges his lowly station in life and also
Logan
Jul 22, 2016 Logan rated it it was amazing
We first read this in 2011, when Logan was 7. Then we just re-read it and he's 12. If anything, he liked it better this time. King-Smith was incredibly prolific, writing over 100 books in just 30 years. We've read 15 of them, but Logan is anxious to read more. There's something about the charm, realism, and humor of King-Smith's stories that can appeal to all ages. And as I've said before, I love that in many of his books, he treats his often elderly and quirky characters with respect and kindne ...more
Precious
Oct 10, 2014 Precious rated it it was amazing
I have read this book when I was 11 and up until now I still remember everything about it. I even saw a letter I wrote for Daggie and Felicity on the back of my book way back elementary. Honestly, this was the first novel-type book I ever had and I've read it for like 10 times.

What do I think about the book? It was a definite cutesy, I mean Daggie. The fact that it is a fable doesn't mean you won't learn anything from the book. There are lots of moral lessons, you just have to dive under.
Wendybird
Jan 19, 2011 Wendybird rated it it was amazing
A warm, humorous, well-developed tale of a determined pig and his animal friends. My first Dick King-Smith book read shortly after its introduction. Read as an adult during my early years of teaching, it was just as delightful as reading Charlotte's Web when I was nine. (Not an easy read for most elementary students.)
Judy Desetti
Dec 22, 2014 Judy Desetti rated it it was amazing
Love this story!!! Read this to my kids when they were growing up. I read it again this last week to my grandson. They love it!! It is a wonderful story.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Natalie
Jul 31, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this to my son, it's still one of my favourite Dick King Smith books!
Alanna
Jun 24, 2016 Alanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Childhood love
Josiah
May 26, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
"It is better to admit some facts, even hard, bitter facts, than to go on pretending that they don't exist".

—Pigs Might Fly, P. 66

Dick King-Smith has crafted another of his better volumes, dotted throughout with some lively humor and a scene or two that will make proud the heart of anyone who has ever hoped for the underdog to win the day.
Daggie Dogfoot is actually nigh upon as compelling a character as the author's Babe, even if his adventures do not always strike quite as clear an emotiona
Michaela705
in my book, pigs might fly, i feel like the farmer is really mean to the dag (a weak pig) because it would just mean that he would have 2 do extra work to keep it alive. i also think that the farmer is lazy because he isn't willing to save a little pigs life like that.

in our world, people don't help, or ignore other people because they are different. i think that this isn't right because if someone needs help because they are too weak to do something, you should help. it doesn't even really mat
Anne Broyles
Jul 02, 2015 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it
Having just reread BABE: THE GALLANT PIG, I chose to reread this story of another pig with quite different issues (though much of the same heart as Babe). Kids would love this adventure with some deftly-depicted, memorable characters, and though I love BABE more, Daggie Dogfoot will always hold a place in my heart.
Tnb
Sep 06, 2016 Tnb rated it liked it
A bit more complicated for your typical fifth grader, which is the level for which this book is scoped. The topics inside this little book are wonderful. There is tons of opportunities for discussion. I would rather use this book as a read-aloud and devote a good month to it.
The characters are well developed, there are supporting characters, there are beautiful descriptions.
Catherine
Aug 11, 2016 Catherine rated it really liked it
Love this cute little story about a very special pig. The bond between all the pigs was strong. You have o read this with a smile on your face. Some books like this one are only meant to bring us joy and to put a smile in our hearts.
Cynthia Egbert
Sep 20, 2016 Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it
While this isn't one of my favourites of the King-Smith offerings, it was a delightful romp. The most fun was seeing the way the animals viewed the Pigman, bless his heart. This would make a fun read aloud as a family.
Biblioworm
Apr 18, 2015 Biblioworm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, child
Хорошая книжка для 5-6 летнего ребенка.
Правда, когда я читал, я часть моментов смягчал.
Хотя, возможно, это лично мои заморочки и ребенок нормально воспринял бы например выбраковку поросят на ферме.
Evansmom
AR BOOK L 6.0/4.0 PTS

I liked this book very much filled with excitement. It was reminiscent of Charlotte's Web. You can't help but love this little pig called Daggie Dogfoot.
Gabby
Oct 20, 2011 Gabby rated it really liked it
I chose to give this book 4 stars becuse thing book is full of a pig who turns out becane a dag and beging bornwith feet which looked like dog feet.His mother and the rest of the pigs on the farm thought he was special in some way he thought he could fly and his friend flecity the duck was giving him some pointers to fly.He jumed off a hill and flew to hight and lande ti the river which was deep and he could swim.His friend flecity told him the way to get trough it.He ended up being fond it and ...more
Paul
Jul 26, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
9/10

Really enjoyed this in primary school. Surprised they haven't made a movie of it.
Jen Jen
Jul 27, 2008 Jen Jen rated it really liked it
Dick King-Smith is a favorite author in our house. He is perfect for young readers that are ready for chapter books (the books typically run 150-200 pages). Most of his books are in the Animal fantasy genre. The language is rich and the stories are well-told without including any material that might be inappropriate for young ears (like so many Newbery books).

Read aloud to children ages 7-11.
Sep 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
If reading Babe didn't quite manage to satisfy your appetite for ubercute piglets, King-Smith serves up the lesser-known Pigs Might Fly, wherein a runty underpig teaches himself to swim and (naturally) winds up saving the day with his unusual talents and porcine pluck. While nothing may be new here, it's all so adorable one doesn't really mind.
Kalia
Apr 12, 2013 Kalia rated it liked it
This book is pretty good. For one, the little pig has a great imagination and no one can take it away from him. If some one told him the tooth fairy wasn't real, he would still think it was real. The pig really wants to fly, but instead he soon finds out that his true talent is swimming. It's a great book!
Sarah Smith
Oct 21, 2013 Sarah Smith rated it liked it
Really cute! Otters, ducks, piglets; this book pretty much had all of my favorite animals in it. Plus, the illustrations where the piglet is "flying" are so cute I wanted to fling the book across the room. Really cute children's book.
Debbie Boucher
Jan 27, 2013 Debbie Boucher rated it really liked it
I'll be interested to see what my students think of this one. I believe it is written by the same author that wrote Babe, the Gallant Pig. I liked that one much better, but this title is what I have here at ISPS in TT. So, off we go!
Demos Sfakianakis
Dec 20, 2007 Demos Sfakianakis rated it it was amazing
a sad book in the begining then its happy then sad agian then happy. a very cute story involing a pig that was trying to learn how to fly and by mistake learns how to swim. a great funny family book.i almost cried at the end!
The Styling Librarian
Nov 18, 2012 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Pigs Might Fly by Dick King-Smith – Laughed and was touched throughout this adorable story about the runt of a litter achieving greatness I never would have imagined. Additionally I appreciate the illustrations.
Debbie Barr
Jul 01, 2007 Debbie Barr rated it really liked it
For all I know, this book might be awful. But I loved it when I was little, so I give it four stars for being one of my favorites in, like, fourth grade.
Dhwani
Jun 01, 2010 Dhwani rated it it was ok
oh my gosh. this is one of the DUMBEST books i have ever read. its for like 1st graders, but i have nothing else to read so.... here i am
Catherine
Sep 16, 2009 Catherine rated it really liked it
This is a childhood favorite that I recently rediscovered and found to my delight to be just as good at 19 as it was at 9.
April
Aug 02, 2010 April rated it really liked it
I loved this book when I was younger. It has such a hopeful, you can do anything you put your mind to sort of story.
Cara
Feb 06, 2011 Cara rated it liked it
We are always on the lookout for a good pig read-aloud, and this one fit the bill.
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service