The Hummingbird Wizard (Annie Szabo #1)

The Hummingbird Wizard (Annie Szabo #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Driving full steam ahead with her life after the unexpected death of her husband, Annie Szabo was not planning on veering off course again. But her late husband's family, an outrageous and proud clan of Gypsies, has other plans. When Annie's oldest friend, Jerry, turns up dead, she is plunged back into the family she tried to leave behind.

Suspecting murder, Annie is forced...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Forge Books (first published 2003)

Bethany
A mystery with good plot and intrigue. The best aspects of this book are character and place. Most of the main characters are from a gypsy family, and everyone has fascinating, yet still believable, quirks. The book mainly takes place in San Francisco, and the author does a great job in communicating the place.
Sarah Lawrence
Jun 03, 2014 Sarah Lawrence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paula Lawrence
This was a fun book! Light and airy, with lots of humor, great central women leading the plot, and the kind of extended cast (many of them related) that I really love.

The humor is great and never lets you down (as long as you like a bit of sardonic wit), the plot chugs along without stalling, and the characters are delightfully larger than life. Yeah, you've probably seen the likes of Madame Mina before, but I bet you haven't seen the kooky old grandmother also appearing as a love interest. The...more
KJ Shadows
- Knows Author IRL.

Book is really good and well written! :) She was my neighbor for many years.
Geordane
Of all the happy mix of characters in Meredith Blevins’ first novel, The Hummingbird Wizard, it was Madame Mina Szabo who stood out the most. Not even the title character and the main character could make her back down from the center stage or even match her innate brilliance. Who could not love her, with her strong belief in superstition, her overflowing, albeit distorted way of loving her family, and her dry humor? She is also passionate, headstrong, eccentric, blissfully ignorant at times, an...more
Alice
Sometimes, I wonder how some books can even get published.

This book was a mess. Choppy, uneven sentences with comma splices all over the place, everyone sounded the same, and dialogue was hard to follow because there would be a pause, someone would do something, and then the same person would keep talking in another paragraph. I kept having to go back to figure out who was talking. Then I decided it didn't matter.

It's not even good for a mystery-thriller. The killer is revealed about 75 pages be...more
Jen
Oct 29, 2013 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
ETA: After reviewing my thoughts, I realized something really important: I actively disliked this book. The more I thought about it, the more my don't care turned into don't like--thus I've changed my stars to two...not three.

My daughter picked out this book from the library for me. I'm 90% sure it was because the book had "wizard" in the title. I had sent her back a couple times for bringing me books that were obviously "bodice rippers."

This is where my rating system comes into play. I didn't...more
El

Gypsies are cool and don't get nearly the right amount of attention.

Apparently Meredith Blevins felt the same way, and so built a mystery around a gypsy family. Interesting to say the least. The story itself was sort of lackluster, but the gypsy lore and relationships between the characters held its own. The story is told from the point-of-view of Annie, an Irish-American woman who had previously married into a Romani family. When her friend and sometimes-lover Jerry dies under seemingly mysteri...more
LJ
THE HUMMINGBIRD WIZARD (Amateur Sleuth-CA Bay Area-Cont) – G+
Blevins, Meredith – 1st in series
Forge, 2003 – Hardcover
Annie Szabo believes her life is back on track after the accidental death of her husband. But when her best friend dies, Annie suspects murder. Finding out what happened means being involved with her husband's family of Gypsies, particularly her very unusual mother-in-law, Madame Mina.
*** Strengths: a wonderful protagonist who serves as the eye in the middle of a tornado of deligh...more
Susan
Widowed journalist Annie Szabo is visiting San Francisco to reconnect with her oldest friend, Jerry, now a prosperous lawyer. Unfortunately, this also puts her in the path of her former sister-in-law Capri, Jerry's estranged wife, and Madame Mina, Capri's mother, who had blamed Annie for the death of her son, Stevan. Annie also meets Stevan's younger half-brother, a man with mystic powers and a great passion for Annie. Then there are Mina's husband, a shady character, and her lover, a gypsy priv...more
W. Michael  and Kathleen O'Neal   Gear
This isn't your usual fantasy novel. The characters are just plain brilliant and the dialogue is laugh out-loud funny.
Blaire
Actually, I'd give this book somewhere between 2 and 3 stars. It was entertaining and good-natured enough to keep me reading to the end. I thought the writing was only adequate. The gypsy characters added some color, but none of the characters was well-developed. Although clearly intended to fall into the mystery genre, there were no surprises in the plot.
Za Lemor
I'm wasnt a English major so the fact that book was written in spoken form worth grammatical errors that happen via conversation... it didn't bother me. the plot and the story was more than enough to carry the reader through. I really enjoyed the craziness. it was the good crazy and human nature all mixed up.
Violet
I read this book a few years ago and really liked it. I know there was a second book, but when I looked for it I could not find it. I even gave this book to my neighbor to read and she liked it also. Last week I came across book two at a book sale at the library and I just had to have it.
Felicia
This is a murder mystery where the main character is forced into an alliance with her gypsy mother-in-law. A strange man comes into Annie's life-The Hummingbird Wizard.
I enjoyed the book immensely. As she goes the the trials and tribulations of dealing with the ways of the gypsies and the cops.
Cat4cwa
Another hit for the mystery fan. Nothing thought provoking here - it's well-written entertainment. The schtick here is gypsies - a gypsy mother in law, a gypsy detective, a bit of magical realism that might or might not be just a dream. I've ordered the next two in the series.
Ann
Mar 06, 2008 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ann by: ann lasko
This book was so much fun to read, I've reread it (and the sequels)3 times and given it as gifts to many friends.

The main character, Annie Szabo, is salty good company, which is one of the things I read books for, and the rest of the characters are a hoot too.
Na'ama Yehuda
AMAZING work!
I love the characters, the story, the full depth of experience. The colorful descriptions and the loveable, funny, witty, deeply human stories and relationships. This is one book you don't want to miss--you will love it, and you will want more!
Jennifer Fosberry
Jul 07, 2008 Jennifer Fosberry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: found it in a used book store
Shelves: grown-up-books
What an interesting concept. I love mystery type books and I enjoy when I am somewhat familiar with the locale (this takes place in San Fran). Then she added the Roma/gypsy characters and culture. Very interesting. I stayed up TOO late to finish it.
April
Wonderful characters, nice story line... wonderful characters, did I mention that? Miss Meredith gets 5 out of 5 stars from me for this one, as engaging and fun to read this time as it was five years ago when I discovered it!
Harriette
The character Annie Szabo is a winner. Combined with a tetchy mother-in-law, gypsy culture in present day northern California a sond a serious side to a not so trivial mystery....well, you've just to read it!!!
Felicity
This was surprisingly awesome. I picked it up without knowing a thing about it and it was way better than your usual formulaic mystery type thing.
Stacy McKitrick
I read this several years ago, but I still remember the characters and I enjoyed the book.
Gregory
Entertaining and has all the elements I like. Circus, Gypsies, and a supernatural murder mystery.
Helen
Frisco Gypsies; love, Haight, and flying dreams
Wendy Christine Allen
Wendy Christine Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Stessie Keith
Stessie Keith marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Beth Rea
Beth Rea marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Adult Fiction About a Gypsy Man [s] 11 32 Apr 02, 2014 03:37PM
The Vanished Priestess (Annie Szabo #2) The Red Hot Empress (Annie Szabo #3) Zadayi Red (Cherokee Mists) Tales from the Grandmothers Mörderische Sippschaft