Start by marking “Kringloop van de Angst” as Want to Read:
Kringloop van de Angst

Kringloop van de Angst

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  1,606 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Julia will make your flesh creep...Is Julia Lofting's husband coldly plotting to driver her insane? Is she unbalanced by the death of her child? Or is she truly being haunted by the ghost of a quite obscenely nasty little girl whose spirit appears to infest the Loftings' fashionable London house? You'll have to find out for yourself....
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published 1982 (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Kringloop van de Angst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kringloop van de Angst

Edward Lorn
Sep 20, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperbacks
Julia is my first Peter Straub read in over a decade. I came across a bulk lot of his books on Ebay, all of his novels in paperback for less than eight bucks, and couldn't help myself. I'd previously read Ghost Story and Koko, and loved both, but I find myself in a dark gray area with Julia.

What started as one hell of a creepy ride soon became an exercise in tedium. All the book's major questions are answered around the halfway mark, but I trudged along anyway, because I was invested in the stor
Bandit
Feb 04, 2016 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the author's first venture into the supernatural genre, originally published in 1975 and it reads like it. It isn't dated per se, it seemly belongs to another time, one where attitudes where different, women's lib not quite there (or at all there really), one had to go to the actual library for research, etc. Although yoga was as popular as it is now. The eponymous heroine is a woman of 36, who has recently lost her only child under tragic circumstances, even more recently left her husb ...more
Michael
Über weite Strecken eine klassische Geistergeschichte, die sich etwas in die Länge zieht.
Trotzdem: gut geschrieben und unterhaltsam, und nicht oberflächlich.
3,5 Sterne
Holly Lindquist
Sep 04, 2009 Holly Lindquist rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
One of those rare cases where the book isn't quite as good as the movie. Still worth reading, but if you like the story definitely check the movie out. It's called The Haunting of Julia and it stars a wan-looking Mia Farrow... very creepy. Lovely music too.
A.R.
Feb 14, 2011 A.R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful creepy and perverted tale that was the basis for the movie, The Haunting of Julia. It doesn't bust out till around page 200, so stick with it.
M
Mar 15, 2013 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Julia" is an incredibly well-done modern Gothic in the same vein as Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw" or Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House," though not quite so masterful. We see through they eyes of a main character, the fragile Julia Lofting, who at best is an unreliable narrator, and at worst an outright madwoman. Straub crafts an eerie novel about madness, death and the notion of true evil. If you like this kind of story, it's a definite must-read, but good luck finding a cop ...more
Venessa
Dec 03, 2012 Venessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Evil isn't like ordinary people. It can't be got rid of. It gets revenge. Revenge is what it wants, and it gets it."

"There was no safety, only its illusion."

INTENSE - the most terrifying book I've read in a long time. Peter Straub is a master at psychological horror, at getting under your skin and making you believe, even if just for a few moments, that you are the character being watched, stalked, threatened. Staying up late to read this the other night, the only one awake in the house, I hear
Kevin Lucia
Jan 24, 2015 Kevin Lucia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Wonderfully tense and atmospheric, with classic gothic sensibilities. Thing is, I've heard lots of folks say, "If you loved GHOST STORY, JULIA will blow your mind!" In this case, I beg to differ. GHOST STORY painted with a much richer story, and the characters were far more likable, with a lot more substance. But still, that doesn't say anything bad about JULIA. I just like GHOST STORY a whole lot more.
Kirsten
Feb 29, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-pre-12-07, owned
I didn't like this one nearly so well as Straub's other novels. The beginning was promising, and the tension builds nicely through the first 3/4 of the book, but the ending seemed really abrupt and overly vague to me. I kept reading because I thought there was going to be a pay-off, and I was going to find out something really creepy and interesting, but instead things just stayed obscure and I was left confused by the ending.
Elke
Ana

I really wanted to like Julia. However, she must have been the most vapid main character I have ever read about.

Also, no one in this novel seemed to actually work. Almost everyone is rich and has all the time in the world. I simply could not connect to any of the characters in this book, which obviously hindered my enjoyment of the story.

The development of the story wasn't amazing either. There is an air of mystery but on the other hand not so much, as Jul
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 28, 2014 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julia isn't a modern horror novel racing with flesh-eating zombies or vampire romance or evil imaginary friends; it is a ghost story in a sense, but it's more so about how evil people never die... they get revenge. Julia was made into a movie as well, and the movie, albeit very good, isn't as descriptive or disturbing as the book.

The book follows Julia Lofting, a woman who has recently left behind her daughter's death, an involuntary placement in a mental hospital and her son-of-a-b!tch, control
Victoria M
Jan 18, 2015 Victoria M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I came across Peter Straub - that I knew of - was during a Stephen King spree I had some years back, which eventually led me to read The Talisman and Black House, two The Dark Tower-related novels that he and King wrote together. Only in November last year, did I realize that a horror movie I had watched at the tender age of 11-ish was in fact based on another of his books, Julia. What exactly made me look the movie up that random evening in November, I do not remember anymore, but I ...more
Redri9hthand
Jul 15, 2016 Redri9hthand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great literary horror novel. Before this one, I had recently read "Ghost Story" and "If You Could See Me Now" both of which I enjoyed a bit more possibly because the supernatural in "Julia" is ambiguous. Was she really being haunted, or was she mentally or emotionally unstable? As much as I've always loved the idea of ghosts and mysterious creatures, I can't help being very skeptical about their existance. So when I read a ghost story, I prefer those that at some point convince me that the haunt ...more
Cecilia Solis-sublette
So no one's written a review of this 1970s novel, yet, huh? Well, let's see. The writer is good in keeping you guessing, through the end, as to whether this woman is crazy, whether her husband and brother-in-law are driving her crazy, or whether she is really being targeted by a supernatural force. The fact that her sister-in-law dabbles in the spirit world helps as does the fact that she is a grieving mother living in the house of another past-grieving mother. The elements are all there for a g ...more
Holly
Aug 09, 2012 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story leaves the reader with a lot of questions. I tend to believe that Julia, a haunted woman, was fated to become the victim of the haunted house.

The scene where Julia meets Heather Rudge was quite chilling. Two women, both with sanity issues, both of whom have a daughter in the grave, both women have lived in that house on Holland Park. The deeper connection that they both share is really the clincher.
John Kim
Nov 14, 2008 John Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Straub's breakout book that launched him in the ranks of premier horror writers such as Stephen King and Clive Barker.

It established him as the master of the modern day ghost story and all his books have a running theme of past mistakes catching up with you in really bad ways.

It's very gothic, a damsel in distress, a haunted house and a very evil ghostly presence, but updated to our times.
alessandra falca
Jun 17, 2011 alessandra falca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ho fatto fatica a finire questo libro. Julia ha una buona trama e dei buoni personaggi ma non ce l'ho fatta ad entrare e questa volta i "fantasmi del libro " mi hanno respinto. Non è un libro scritto male solo che in maniera molto soprannaturale non mi ha fatto entrare. Non ero nel mood. Pazienza Peter, sarà per la prossima volta.
Mary
Jan 20, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
When Julia Lufting loses her child horribly, she moves to a new house to deal with her grief. What she finds is that her house is haunted by a little girl who died mysteriously. Now she must deal with her own grief and discover how the child from her house died. I sort of enjoyed this book and give it a B+!
Gabrielle
Freaky thats just one word to describe it. Another word may be boring. I was expecting more but for it being so old it was good. Now adays however you want to be so scared that you have to have the light on to go to sleep.
Katie
Aug 25, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book of 2015! Also my first Peter Straub. Very creepy and enjoyable. The ending was a little muddled; I feel like I devoured most of the book in the last two days. Looking forward to reading more of his.
Fishface
This one confounded me. It didn't have a single story element that would normally scare me, but ir utterly messed with my head and had me checking in the closet and under the bed for boogeymen. How does he do that!?
Kit★
Apr 06, 2013 Kit★ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Picked this up at Goodwill today. Put it with the other Straub books I have, I swear I will read him one day!
Robert
Jul 28, 2009 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just got into a Peter Straub mood all of a sudden. I'd forgotten how dark this one is.
Krista
Dec 26, 2009 Krista rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pure stubbornness got me through this one. Do not recommend.
Katy
Nov 21, 2016 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, horror
Aside from the novel he co-wrote with Stephen King, The Talisman, this is the first Staub book I've read. (I'm not sure that The Talisman even counts, because his and King's writing blended so seamlessly that I could almost never tell which of them was writing any given scene.)

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed so much as surprised. This is very different from the modern horror novel, which I suppose I should have guessed given that it was published in 1975. It reminds me quite a bit of Rosemary's
Mike
Oct 29, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-books
It's been a while since I've read a book with this kind of psychological grip on me. It's scary; I found it hard not to be creeped and scared by the mystery wrapped around an intriguing ghost story. In the end the book leaves with a haunting resonance. It could even be considered a psychological crime fiction.
Julia
Dec 13, 2016 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderfully confusing and misleading and I loved every minute of it. You know pretty much immediately that your main narrator isn't reliable so you are in a constant state of wondering what you can believe. Loved it.
Linda Moens
Feb 26, 2017 Linda Moens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gelezen in Nederlands
Genevieve Speegle
Oct 12, 2016 Genevieve Speegle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect ghostly October read. This had all the elements of a gothic spooky story.

After a brief stint in a mental hospital following the death of her daughter, Julia decides to start a new life away from her domineering husband. The new house she buys, however, is haunted by the ghost of another young girl killed at the same age as her daughter decades earlier.

Is she truly haunted, or slowly going out of her mind?
  • Nazareth Hill
  • The Guardian
  • Afterlife
  • Sweetheart, Sweetheart
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
  • The Pines (The Pines Trilogy, #1)
  • Lori
  • For Love of Audrey Rose
  • The Forbidden Zone
  • The House
  • Julian's House
  • Shadows
  • Revenge of the Manitou (Manitou, #2)
  • Shock Rock, Volume I
  • The Amulet
Peter Straub was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on 2 March, 1943, the first of three sons of a salesman and a nurse. The salesman wanted him to become an athlete, the nurse thought he would do well as either a doctor or a Lutheran minister, but all he wanted to do was to learn to read.

When kindergarten turned out to be a stupefyingly banal disappointment devoted to cutting animal shapes out of heavy
More about Peter Straub...

“She thought, instead, with longing of more books—of buying books—of slipping into a narrative of other people’s lives. That was release.” 8 likes
“I'm being haunted," she blurted out.
"My dear," he cooed. "Turn yourself into a tourist attraction and charge admission.”
0 likes