Start by marking “Trouble River” as Want to Read:
Trouble River

Trouble River

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  258 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
"Faced with the imminent danger of attack by marauding Indians while both his parents are away, twelve-year-old Dewey Martin prevails upon his grandmother to escape by means of his homemade log raft".--Booklist.
Published September 1st 1989 by Puffin Books (first published 1969)

Cassidy
Aug 12, 2009 Cassidy rated it did not like it
I HATE THIS BOOK, AND I WILL HATE THIS BOOK FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE!!!
Kayla
Oct 14, 2009 Kayla rated it did not like it
This is a really wierd book...
Jacob
Oct 03, 2009 Jacob rated it did not like it
it was not the best book i read
Laura Verret
Jul 17, 2012 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
I wasn’t all that enraptured by Betsy Byars’ book The Summer of the Swans. But that picture of the little old lady sitting on a rocking chair, which is balancing on a raft, while floating down a river knitting…… Yeah. That appealed to me. And the story itself proved to be just as quaint.

The Story.

Grandmother is determined that Indians are lurking about, plotting to attack the house. And she didn’t come all of this way to be killed by Indians. They must do something. But Mr. Martin, her son, is a
Books Kids Like
Oct 06, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it it was amazing
Shelves: byars-betsy
When Dewey's father and mother go to Hunter City for the arrival of a new baby and leave Dewey and Grandma at home, they don't realize that Indians are lurking nearby. One night, while Dewey is finishing his raft, he sees an Indian and a strange glow in the sky that looks like a cabin fire. Frightened, Dewey and his grandma quickly gather some provisions, grandma's mementos and rocking chair, and set off down river on the raft. They plan on stopping at the Dargan's homestead and waiting for Dewe ...more
Becky
May 10, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
Sad but brave little boys can accomplish a lot!
Olyvia Moore
Apr 14, 2016 Olyvia Moore rated it really liked it
It was quite an adventure, and it always had something waiting around the corner!
Leilah
pretty good book
Jenny
Nov 03, 2010 Jenny rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
The picture on the book inspired me to read this book. The grandma sitting on the raft in her rocking chair was hilarious I thought. The book itself was OK. Story a a boy and his grandma who escape an indian attack by floating his raft down the river to safety. Quick, easy read - about all I can handle nowadays with the overwelming life I'm leading!
Barbara Lovejoy
Jan 06, 2013 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book! It was #12 book from the Reading Promise Booklist. I seem to never be disappointed with a book from this list. There is even a movie based on this book, but I couldn't find the book or the movie at either our city or county library. Therefore, I bought the book with a B&N gift card given to me by husband as a Christmas gift. :)
K.Butler
Dec 08, 2011 K.Butler rated it it was ok
Not one I will be reading again with my students. Although the subject perfectly fit in with our Social Studies unit on the American frontier and Native Americans, it just doesn't have enough meaty literary stuff to dig into. Thought it would be more action packed, but it bored the kids. :(
Hailey Pierce
Jan 10, 2014 Hailey Pierce rated it did not like it
it was a little to dull for me
Rebecca Rash
May 19, 2013 Rebecca Rash rated it it was amazing
My Dad's a hardworking man who rarely gets any sleep - so the memory of him taking the time to read this book to us kids on top of my parents bed every night is one very sweet memory to me. Besides, the book is engaging, educating, and fun for kids of all ages!
Deborah Harris
Dec 27, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-4, a18, a20
AR Quiz No. 591 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.9 - AR Pts: 3.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, LS, VP
MaryJane
Feb 17, 2009 MaryJane rated it really liked it
An adventure book for elementary students that has stood the test of time and can be enjoyed by adults. Yes, there is a moral, but I'm not going to tell you what it is. You have to do your own book report!
Marnie Turman
Jun 13, 2012 Marnie Turman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grades
I read this with my fourth grade class. We loved the book. Later, we watched the ABC Afterschool Special version and discussed the differences. In the end, the enjoyed the book so much better.
Mikek
Feb 17, 2013 Mikek rated it liked it
At the end Dewey meets her parents in Hunter city. That was happy ending, but I think it has to have more action. There are only indians, wolves, rapids. It doesn't make me feel exciting.
Anne
Mar 17, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok
This was an ok book. It had some good parts but trying to believe that an old lady went through the rapids on a raft while sitting in a rocking chair is a bit farfetched.
Angie
Feb 10, 2010 Angie rated it it was amazing
I Read this book as a child and loved it. It took me on an adventure, one of my first adventures in reading that I'll never forget. A must read for my children.
Justin
Sep 18, 2012 Justin rated it really liked it
The book Trouble River is a great book about a boy who makes a raft, and when a Native American attacks his house, he has to flee down the river on it.
Laurie D'ghent
Mar 24, 2012 Laurie D'ghent rated it really liked it
I didn't like that the dog got hurt, but he was okay, which I did like. The funny, grumpy grandma earned back the star lost for the dog injury.
Melissa Fliss
Jun 25, 2013 Melissa Fliss rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books, kid-s-books
My 10 year old son had to read this for school and LOVED it. We bought it before he even finished it because he liked it so much.
Michael
Nov 08, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
Book is related to Native Americans. Shows how some white people were so bias towards Native Americans in the 1800's and 1900's.
Catherine  Mustread
Apr 25, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, childrens
Dewey and his Grandma make a daring and dangerous escape from the Indians on his homemade raft in this pioneer story.
Taylor
Sep 21, 2010 Taylor rated it did not like it
Do not read this! I definitely had a hard time reading this in my 6th grade reading class!
Jr.Volley
this was an "ok" kind of book. it wasn't my favorite but it was ok if you didn't know what to read.
Katie
Mar 23, 2012 Katie rated it did not like it
This is an awful book. It is full of stereotypes and has no redeeming plot.
Amy
Nov 20, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this for my class. We are going to cover historical fiction.
Kelsey
May 05, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Great book! a good mix of humor, suspense, and adventure
  • The Barn
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm
  • Seven Kisses in a Row
  • Hope's Crossing
  • Dear Benjamin Banneker
  • The Secret Secret Passage (Clue, #2)
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Dear Levi: Letters from the Overland Trail: Letters from the Overland Trail
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Skeleton Man
  • Maroo of the Winter Caves
  • Blork's Evil Twin (Space Brat, #2)
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...