Start by marking “Middletown (TCG Edition)” as Want to Read:
Middletown (TCG Edition)
Preview

Middletown (TCG Edition)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Will Eno is an original, a maverick wordsmith whose weird, wry dramas gurgle with the grim humor and pain of life."—Guardian

Called "a Samuel Beckett for the John Stewart generation" (The New York Times) and best known for his one-person play, Will Eno's latest work features a wide array of characters—Cop, Mechanic, Librarian, to name just a few—who together populate Middl
Published December 28th 2010 by Theatre Communications Group (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Middletown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Middletown

Karen
This was the worst evening I've ever spent in the theatre. True story. This is one of those works that talks about Big and Profound Things while failing to actually be either of those things.
Jeff
I wanted to like thus play very much, and I don't deny that Eno has real talent, but I ultimately found this to be a disappointment. As a sort of post-modern riff on Our Town, I can see what Eno is trying to do, but there is so much speechifying and vague poetry where there could have been deeper character development. The ending is, nonetheless, deeply touching.
Jeffrey
Middletown is a must read for people who miss the epic style of Brecht, Beckett's wondrous language of laughter and despair, and of course lovers of Our Town, which which is shares a thematic frame.
But the best part of Middletown is the work Eno does on the language level. There are times when I was reading along that I was startled by a turn of phrase that then made me laugh out loud; Eno's characters on delicious occasions say things that make complete sense but are completely unexpected. I on
Carol Beggy
I was nearly exhausted when reading just the opening monologue (the Public Speaker’s “Prologue” of Will Eno’s 2010 play Middletown that has been published by Theatre Communications Group. Yet in reading along, something usually not afforded to us as audience members, I now understand what the New York Times theater critic Christopher Isherwood identified in Eno’s work as “screwball lyricism.” The way that Eno deals with every-day simple life is masterful and, as others point out, a take of sorts ...more
Jason
Not quite sure I know what this one is about, but for some reason I enjoyed it. Will have to re-read several times, as I'm supposed to do the opening monologue in October.
Justine
Springfield College is putting on a production of Eno's play at the end of March, and I have two small, delightful parts. Reading and living with the play in rehearsals has been a joy--one I haven't had for more than 20 years: oy! The play is mysterious, hilarious, and bizarre. I'm reminded of long, rambling discussions in the dorm as a first-year college student. You know, the ones that seemed so urgent and yet were completely aimless. But I'm also reminded of a child's delight in first speakin ...more
Casey
Incredibly relatable and poignant, quirky and solemn.
Lindsay Williams
I read this play before my company staged it. Unique, sometimes hilarious, sometimes melancholy, rather bizarre lens into the complexities and quirks of our daily lives. There are many ideas to chew on throughout (about language, about our connections to other people), although I occasionally had that feeling of "Either the writer thinks he's more clever than he really is ... or I'm just missing what he's trying to say!" Ha, hate that feeling.
Bt
Nov 16, 2014 Bt rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bt by: Saw a college production
I'm writing this review long after I saw it, but I rated it at the time and remember that I didn't like it too well. Some of the scenes and dialogue were really good, but a lot of the play was pretentious - like the weird intermission thing. It also features (as the protagonist) a married woman carrying on with another man, which is not ok, ever.
Becca
I would give it a higher rating, but I am still trying to understand what the overall theme is. However, I know that I will be reading this play again in order to audition for it.
Matt Shapiro
Really, really funny.
Chantel Donnan
Chantel Donnan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Lani
Lani marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Cassidy Mallett
Cassidy Mallett marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Maria
Maria added it
Apr 11, 2015
Kim Hufford
Kim Hufford marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Montyt
Montyt marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Aleya
Aleya marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
  • Tribes
  • Dead Man's Cell Phone (TCG Edition)
  • Talley's Folly
  • Circle Mirror Transformation
  • Superior Donuts (TCG Edition)
  • Red
  • The God of Carnage
  • An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein
  • Towards a Poor Theatre
  • Crave
Thom Pain (based on nothing) The Flu Season and Other Plays The Flu Season - Acting Edition TRAGEDY: a tragedy Title and Deed